PDA

View Full Version : ADW licensing could approach $30,000 per outlet in Kentucky

andymays
10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/october/11/adw-licensing-could-approach-30000-per-outlet-in-kentucky.aspx

Excerpt:

The KHRC Wagering Integrity Committee will recommend advance-deposit-wagering companies meet standards to be licensed to operate in the state. The licensing will allow the KHRC to make requirements addressing integrity issues. The committee also plans to recommend the KHRC update licensing requirements for racetracks on integrity issues. The commission expects to make a recommendation to the full commission on October 26.

DJofSD
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
“A lot of horseplayers are hungry for a secure pari-mutuel system,” Maloney said.

What does that mean?

BillW
10-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Multiple times a year wagers are placed after the gate opens due to the tote not being shut down properly and a perception of that occurs every race. Lots of horseplayers don't like that. :)

DJofSD
10-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Multiple times a year wagers are placed after the gate opens due to the tote not being shut down properly and a perception of that occurs every race. Lots of horseplayers don't like that. :)
I'm aware of that problem, but, maybe I either missed something or misunderstood -- past posting was done on track, no, and not via an ADW account?

BillW
10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm aware of that problem, but, maybe I either missed something or misunderstood -- past posting was done on track, no, and not via an ADW account?

Any upstream wager can be past posted. One specific wager I have in mind was a simulcast wager taken at a track acting as a simulcast outlet (effectively an ADW) for the live track. If the remote track or the ADW never gets the "shut it down" signal, we have a problem.

horseking
10-12-2010, 06:33 PM
This is just a good 'ol Kentucky money grab...everyone hides behind trying to "protect the player" when in fact the only thing they are doing is trying to suck yet another dollar out of the industry....and we all know there are fewer and fewer dollars left to suck.

You can also bet this will mean no competition for Kentucky residents for ADW's...the big boys will be able to pay the fees, everyone else will be shut out....I hope everyone likes twinspires, cause at this rate, it's the only place you're going to be able to bet.

Charli125
10-13-2010, 09:14 PM
This is just a good 'ol Kentucky money grab...everyone hides behind trying to "protect the player" when in fact the only thing they are doing is trying to suck yet another dollar out of the industry....and we all know there are fewer and fewer dollars left to suck.

I disagree, but I do think that Kentucky needs to be careful in how they handle this.

As players, we definitely do need to be protected and handle will grow once we get rid of the irregularities that our industry is famous for.

That protection, however, should not come at the expense of the player. When you take a small ADW that is rebating a large portion of their potential profit back to the players, and make it impossible for them to compete with the big guys that rebate zero of their potential profit back to the players...I don't think that's the right way to protect the players.

I applaud Kentucky and their efforts, but it shouldn't cost the customer money to prove that they're playing fair. That's exactly what happens though when you make it cost prohibitive for the rebating ADW's to participate in Kentucky.

It's up to the industry to make it impossible for the customer(or ADW) to cheat. Why don't we turn our attentions to the tote companies and have them develop something that is more like an Ipad rather than an Atari? I haven't seen a single innovation from that side in quite a while.

horseking
10-14-2010, 01:31 PM
"I applaud Kentucky and their efforts, but it shouldn't cost the customer money to prove that they're playing fair. That's exactly what happens though when you make it cost prohibitive for the rebating ADW's to participate in Kentucky. "

It WILL result in Kentucky residents having little or no choice in ADW providers. It's fine to "applaud" Kentucky in their goal of protecting the players, but if the execution of the goal is completely flawed, is it really any benefit at all?

I'm glad I don't live in Kentucky!

Charli125
10-14-2010, 01:55 PM
It WILL result in Kentucky residents having little or no choice in ADW providers. It's fine to "applaud" Kentucky in their goal of protecting the players, but if the execution of the goal is completely flawed, is it really any benefit at all?

You're preaching to the choir on this one. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. We need to be protected, and we should be just as certain that we'll get paid in horse racing as we are if we sell a stock.

BUT, I think Kentucky is going about it in entirely the wrong way. I know that if my primary ADW stops offering Kentucky, then I'll stop playing Kentucky. I really hope they come up with another solution.