PDA

View Full Version : Are jockeys usually cool about giving autographs?

NikeUnlimited
10-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I never tried before today. I tried to get my (ex) favorite jockey Joel Rosario to sign my program 3 times today. Each time I got the "I'll get you next race" excuse :confused: . I tried to do it before they entered the paddock to mount their horses or get instructions from the trainers or whatever. I didn't see anyone else try to get any signatures, so I was wondering, do they usually not like signing anything or what?

jballscalls
10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
most places i've been to they are cool about it. did you catch him after losses or wins? i would guess after a win your more likely to get autographs.

BluegrassProf
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
They've usually got better things to do, like blow.

:ThmbUp:

In all seriousness, it depends on the jock, and any number of variables like the time of day and direction of the wind. Usually, yes, they're cool with signing - just keep at it, and you'll be good to go.

DJofSD
10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I never tried before today. I tried to get my (ex) favorite jockey Joel Rosario to sign my program 3 times today. Each time I got the "I'll get you next race" excuse :confused: . I tried to do it before they entered the paddock to mount their horses or get instructions from the trainers or whatever. I didn't see anyone else try to get any signatures, so I was wondering, do they usually not like signing anything or what?

Sounds like a case of bad timing.

Wait until the race is over and he does not have a mount in the following race, then ask for the siggy. And even better, wait until he's had a winner then tell he, hey, great ride on (insert name of winning horse). May I have your autograph, please?

kingfin66
10-12-2010, 01:12 AM
The thought of a jockey being too busy or arrogant to sign an autograph makes me laugh. Maybe it is different at the bigger tracks, but it is hard to imagine the little fellas (and ladies) not being grateful that somebody would actually ask.

FWIW, the only jockey I have ever asked for an autograph was Russell Baze when he was at Emerald Downs on Longacres Mile Day. I asked on behalf of a friend of mine who was too nervous to ask on her own. He signed and was very nice about it.

eastie
10-12-2010, 01:20 AM
the ones who can write their name are usually way cool about it. Since they all weigh 120 pounds, they should be, so as not to anger the autograph seeker, who may in turn pick them up and stuff them in the nearest garbage barrel and tip it over and roll them down the apron.

v j stauffer
10-12-2010, 02:29 AM

In all the time I worked for Rosario I never saw him refuse an autograph. Your mistake was asking as he was going out to ride a race. That's work time for him. There's a short time for him to get from the jocks room to the paddock. Imagine if you're the owner or trainer and look over and your jock is signing. Not good. All of the So.Cal riders are really good about interacting with the fans. I'm sure if you catch Joel either after a race or after the card ends he'll be happy to spend some time. Good luck. VJS

bitter
10-12-2010, 07:45 AM
remember my first time at the oaks/derby... i was star struck sitting by the jocks room, most of the jocks were nice, pat day super nice, nakatani let me take a pic. Kent was sort of a prick and mark guidry was an absolute asshole

offtrack
10-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Reminds me of this summer in Saratoga. All of the riders sign, usually before the race between the jocks room and the paddock. They all have security/guards to assist them if needed.

Many fans bring articles to sign. Met a woman who had her own supply of goggles for the jocks to sign. I inquired as to the cost of goggles- she said she got them for five dollars each; but that a signed pair goes for $45 on E-Bay!

castaway01
10-12-2010, 08:31 AM

As others have said, it's just a timing thing. Catch him after the race, not heading out to ride...that's like asking a baseball player for an autograph in the fourth inning. :) Best of luck.

OTM Al
10-12-2010, 08:57 AM
They are working and have very little time to get back and forth between races. Next time you want to do this look at the program and find the last race the jock is riding. Ask after that race is over.

NikeUnlimited
10-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Hmmm, okay. Maybe I'll try again when they're back at Santa Anita. There's not really a way to catch a jockey after the race at Hollywood Park. Only the time from when they walk from jockey room to paddock, unless I'm mistaken.

Oh yeah, and he did take the time to stop, look at me, point the stick, wink, and say "after the race"... :/

CryingForTheHorses
10-12-2010, 12:00 PM
The thought of a jockey being too busy or arrogant to sign an autograph makes me laugh. Maybe it is different at the bigger tracks, but it is hard to imagine the little fellas (and ladies) not being grateful that somebody would actually ask.

FWIW, the only jockey I have ever asked for an autograph was Russell Baze when he was at Emerald Downs on Longacres Mile Day. I asked on behalf of a friend of mine who was too nervous to ask on her own. He signed and was very nice about it.

I agree with you,A person has to be very arrogant not to not to take into thought that another person may look at him as a idol.Life is short,You have to take all the pats on the back you can

Bruddah
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree with you,A person has to be very arrogant not to not to take into thought that another person may look at him as a idol.Life is short,You have to take all the pats on the back you can

I have only asked one jockey for his autograph. Pat Day is the only jockey I felt was worthy of me asking for his signature. His response when I asked was, " yes sir, thank you for asking". Pat was and still is a Class Act. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I have only asked one jockey for his autograph. Pat Day is the only jockey I felt was worthy of me asking for his signature. His response when I asked was, " yes sir, thank you for asking". Pat was and still is a Class Act. :ThmbUp:During Pat Day's last day at Arlington Park, a race was named in his honor...which he happened to win.

After the race, I quietly asked him for an autograph by holding out my track program, which featured a picture of him on the cover.

He walked over to me, and signed his picture with no hesitation...also calling me "sir". I congratulated him for his accomplishments and he thanked me with polite words and a sincere hand shake.

It was the first and last time I ever asked an athlete of any sport for an autograph.

Pat Day was one of a kind...

illinoisbred
10-12-2010, 04:16 PM
During Pat Day's last day at Arlington Park, a race was named in his honor...which he happened to win.

After the race, I quietly asked him for an autograph by holding out my track program, which featured a picture of him on the cover.

He walked over to me, and signed his picture with no hesitation...also calling me "sir". I congratulated him for his accomplishments and he thanked me with polite words and a sincere hand shake.

It was the first and last time I ever asked an athlete of any sport for an autograph.

Pat Day was one of a kind...
He sure was...agree 100%!

judd
10-12-2010, 04:31 PM
remember my first time at the oaks/derby... i was star struck sitting by the jocks room, most of the jocks were nice, pat day super nice, nakatani let me take a pic. Kent was sort of a prick and mark guidry was an absolute asshole like all sports-some are good guys some jerks:confused:

devilsbag
10-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I got Billy Patin to sign a Duracell package, Sylvester Carmouche to sign a foghorn, and Con Errico to sign a summons.

JohnGalt1
10-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Every Don MacBeth day should be a good time to get many autographs.

proximity
10-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I got Billy Patin to sign a Duracell package, Sylvester Carmouche to sign a foghorn, and Con Errico to sign a summons.

and maybe pen players could get jorge tipa to sign a scale!!

therussmeister
10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Many fans bring articles to sign. Met a woman who had her own supply of goggles for the jocks to sign. I inquired as to the cost of goggles- she said she got them for five dollars each; but that a signed pair goes for $45 on E-Bay!
I have heard this stated as a reason why some celebrities don't like to sign autographs.

proximity
10-12-2010, 09:16 PM
During Pat Day's last day at Arlington Park, a race was named in his honor...which he happened to win....

pat's win percentage during his little farewell tour certainly solidified my faith in the integrity of the game!!:)

bigmack
10-12-2010, 09:28 PM
What's the point of an autograph?

thaskalos
10-12-2010, 09:33 PM
What's the point of an autograph?It's a fan's way of showing appreciation for the ability and character shown by a tiny minority of the athletes.

Not everything can be counted in dollars and cents...

bigmack
10-12-2010, 09:36 PM
It's a fan's way of showing appreciation for the ability and character shown by a tiny minority of the athletes.
Not everything can be counted in dollars and cents...
Who said anything about loot?

So by someone asking for another person's autograph they're 'showing appreciation' for the ability of someone? I thought it was just an ego thing.

Grits
10-12-2010, 09:56 PM
What's the point of an autograph?

Mack, do you know, darlin', I so agree with what you're questioning. I've always felt the same thing. Completely so. Someone's name on a piece of paper, on a program, on a book, or whatever doesn't mean a hill of beans to me. I mean nothing!

To compliment someone, to speak to them, and tell them how much I like their work, or how I admire their skill, their music, their book, their contribution, whatever it may be--is far, far, better. I'm more content this way than asking for anything.