PDA

View Full Version : What type of music do you listen to?

PhantomOnTour
10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
A good way to get to know people is through the music they listen to. It reveals our ages as well.
As an ex-DJ on college and hit radio(that job doesn't pay much at all) I have been exposed to a lot of music. My favorite artists kinda' ramble all over but here goes (in no particular order):

Steely Dan
Peter Tosh
Public Enemy (sorry, there was a time....fight the power ya'll)
Jimmy Buffet
Widespread Panic (hippie jam band rock n blues thing..sorry, there was a time)
Buena Vista Social Club (Ferrer, Cachao n the boys)
Van Morrison (Back On Top is a great album!)
Red Hot Chili Peppers

and finally, an artist who's music I've gotten into a lot lately....

RL Burnside.
Look this dude up on youtube. I'd post songs but am a total techno idiot, so look up 'Snake Drive' and 'Shake 'Em On Down' and 'Poor Boy', and tell me that ain't the nastiest blues guitarin' you ever heard.
Wicked.

jballscalls
10-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Favorites:
Alice in Chains, Tool, A perfect Circle, Pearl Jam, STP, Morrissey, Earl Thomas Conley, Reba McEntire, Mudvayne, Sigur Ros, Death Cab for Cutie, Nine inch nails, Alabama, Eminem, The misfits, the Drifters, Counting Crows, GNR, Tom Waits

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm currently listening to the "Dokken" channel on Pandora...that should tell you all you need to know...:lol:

But for the record, I love many different types of music...

sandpit
10-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Burnside is incredible; been listening to him for a few years now. I have him as one of my stations on Pandora.

Youtube is a godsend for young people to discover older music and hopefully come to realize how much better popular music was then than the plethora of karaoke inspired drivel that is all the rage today.

I can't figure out how to imbed you tube codes either (if someone could direct me to a thread on here that tells me how to do it, I would very much appreciate it), but here's links to a few of my favorites:

Linda Rondstadt, Down So Low, Live in Germany: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gCtCWxTYo

Traffic, Live in Santa Monica, 1972: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptkKZ1MqSK0

Stone Roses, Love Spreads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-qa6SjRZo (this band has the most incredible rock rhythm section, they only released two records, but one was voted England's best album of the 1990's)

I also love anything Alison Krauss does; she's simply a perfect musician and singer, plus one of the nicest people in the world.

PhantomOnTour
10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
State of the art rokken with Don Dokken!

Pace,
I was sure you had your Pandora set to the 'Accept' channel with frontman Udo Dirkschneider...you get your balls to the wall man!

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Pace,
I was sure you had your Pandora set to the 'Accept' channel with frontman Udo Dirkschneider...you get your balls to the wall man!I believe they played that one on that channel...I forgot how much I loved that song...so I went and bought it on iTunes...:lol:

Ocala Mike
10-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Very eclectic (and, my wife says, strange):

The Eagles
Arlo Guthrie
James Taylor
Beatles
Soundtracks - "Phantom of the Opera" (Although Andrew Lloyd Webber is vastly overrated)
"Marley & Me" (Although Theodore Shapiro is vastly underrated)
Classical - Beethoven

Ocala Mike

JustRalph
10-11-2010, 11:35 PM
I have 5000 songs on a USB drive in my truck. So many different things it would blow you away. I was listening to Clint eastwood sing the other day, the wife almost bailed out of the truck :lol:

TJDave
10-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Straight Ahead Jazz

Classical

Opera

A bit of Classic Country

Dave Schwartz
10-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Here's an old snapshot of some of my music folders. Kind of sums up my tastes although I admit there are probably 200-300 albums I have never listened to out there.

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/MusicList1.png

dav4463
10-12-2010, 12:22 AM
The Who (by far my favorite band, Quadrophenia is the greatest album ever in my opinion)--wish I had been old enough to see them live with Keith Moon) :(

Kinks
Clash
Ramones
Leonard Cohen (coolest cat ever!)

lots of late 70's and early 80's punk/new wave like TSOL, Minutemen, The Jam, Jim Carroll Band, Plimsouls, Cramps, etc.

some 90's stuff like a local Dallas band called Funland (they were so good!), Alkaline Trio, Tripping Daisy, Toadies, etc.

PhantomOnTour
10-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Ooooh, I forgot the Ramones.

Robert Goren
10-12-2010, 01:12 AM
As an old lefty, I love Folk Music. The Seekers are my favorite. I also like 50s rock and roll and late 70s-early 80s country. I can put up with about anything except Rap and 60s Bubble Gum Music.

newtothegame
10-12-2010, 02:14 AM
ALL late 70's and 80's rock is in play. (Love Journey, Kiss etc etc )
Most all current country...
Very little if any rap (really only cause grandaughter and dance teams dance to that stuff now adays) so I am kind of forced into it.

Investorater
10-12-2010, 04:23 AM
I enjoy many musical genres, and will mention one group - Creed.

WinterTriangle
10-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Buena Vista Social Club (Ferrer, Cachao n the boys)

RY COODER, baby! His slide guitar is so great. Did you see the film Wim Wenders made of these guys, it's really good. A few of the musicians are dead now.

Another good Ry Cooder album is with Ali Farka Toure (Talking Timbuktu). I guess a better question would be who hasn't Cooder played with.

I like all music, but my favorites run to all forms of Blues....Delta Mississippi like Charlie Patton and Son House, and of course, Robert Johnson. And Chicago blues like Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy. And more current blues-rock like BB King Taj Mahal, Eric Clapton. Love Santana's latin influenced blues a lot too. Stevie Ray Vaughn and J.J. Cale who I saw recently in a very small club.

Ditto, Robert Randolph & The Family Band, who was named in Rolling Stone's 100 greatest guitar players. He plays pedal steel and is outrageously good.

RL Burnside is awsome. Interestingly, his newest album is called Rollin' & Tumblin'-----Elmore James had an album of the same name!

Then, some of the best female voices out there, although I don't like the music she has chosen to sing, Mariah Carey. Astonishingly, she has around a 7-8 octave range, which is pretty much unheard of, considering Whitney Houston has about 3 (who's music I also don't like, but her voice is great), maybe Minnie Ripperton gets close at about 6 octaves.

Albums I've ordered in the last 5 months, which is all over the place:

Four Tops- Anthology (2 discs)
John Fahey - Best of 1959-1977
Led Zeppelin- How the West Was Won (3 discs)
Aretha Franklin -Amazing Grace, The Complete Recordings (2 discs)
Hank Williams, Jr. - The Almeria Club Recordings
Credence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
The Band - Last Waltz
Robert Plant - Band of Joy
Paul Butterfield - The Lost Elektra Sessions
Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Alone & Acoustic
Eddie Van Halen - Best of
Steely Dan - Aja
Joe Walsh - Joe Walsh's Greatest Hits

cj's dad
10-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I enjoy many musical genres, and will mention one group - Creed.

Ditto -

3 good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-fyNgHdmLI&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99j0zLuNhi8&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J16lInLZRms&feature=channel

Mike at A+
10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm in the process of burning over 1,000 albums (yes, vinyl) to CD's, MP3's, DVD's etc. My '06 Scion tC has an in dash CD player that plays MP3 CD's so I can get about 180 songs on a CD and put it on random play which is good for a couple of weeks. OK, my list of favorites:

1.) ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) - been my #1 band since the 70's
2.) Steely Dan - saw them at Saratoga Performing Arts about 10 years ago
3.) Alan Parsons Project - saw them a few weeks ago
4.) Moody Blues - still put on a great show. Saw them twice recently
5.) Chicago - Not the same since Peter Cetera left but still great
6.) Clapton (or any band he's been in) - Goodbye Cream awesome album
7.) Free - First album (Free) was a classic
8.) Doobie Brothers - Obscure album "Brotherhood" one of my favorites
9.) Tower of Power - saw them recently and they tore the place down
10.) Steve Miller Band - saw him in the 70's. New CD "Bingo" is quite good

Honorable Mention: Allman Brothers Band, Asleep at the Wheel, Atlanta Rhythm Section, The Band, Beach Boys, Beatles, Jeff Beck, Tim Bogert ("Progressions" one of my 10 favorite albums of all time), Billy Joel, Blood Sweat & Tears, Boston, Boz Scaggs, Bryan Adams, Creedence, Dan Hicks, Doors, Dr. John, Eagles, Edgar Winter, Elton John (the early albums), Emerson Lake & Palmer, Four Seasons, Golden Earring (N.E.W.S. one of my favorite albums), Hall & Oates, Jethro Tull (saw them in Madison Square Garden back in the 70's and after playing "Thick as a Brick", a one hour song, Ian Andersen said "OK, now for our second song"), Jimi Hendrix, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd (saw them this summer at Sean Hannity's Freedon Concert in N.J. - great show), Mandrill, Manhattan Transfer, Paul Simon, Peter Allen, Phil Collins, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum, Queen, Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones (early stuff), Santana (saw them with Jeff Beck at Saratoga Performing Arts), Savoy Brown, Sea Level (Chuck Leavall talented keyboard player who plays with Clapton often), Spirit, Styx, 10 Years After, Traffic, War, The Who, Yes.

BlueShoe
10-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Are you guys talking in some foreign language, or something? In the OP the only artist(?) I have ever even heard of, let alone listen too, is Buffett. After that, it gets a little better, but still, most of the singers and groups mentioned are total unknowns to this old traditionalist. Im so old that the songs played on the Golden Oldies radio stations are too new for me to remember, and are for younger listeners. :D

ArlJim78
10-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Pretty much the same for me too. Now since seeing your post I can't get Tightrope out of my head, so I had to link it up.

My tastes run the gamet, all genres. I'm on an oldies kick now, groups like the Fleetwoods, etc.

The most meaningful groups to me over the long run, in addition to ELO, are Kraftwerk, Floyd, Zeppelin, Echo and the Bunnymen. There are so many runners up I don't even want to start to list them all.

BC5kuFIAztA

Mike at A+
10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Pretty much the same for me too. Now since seeing your post I can't get Tightrope out of my head, so I had to link it up.
If you don't have their latest album, "Zoom" (2001), the DVD is a MUST HAVE for any serious ELO fan. You can pick it up at a bargain price on Amazon and it has several songs from that album as well as many standard ELO favorites. The live version of Tightrope will blow you away. Besides Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy (keyboards) is the only other original ELO member on the album but Marc Mann on lead guitar fits in very well. They also have these two women (Peggy Baldwin and Sarah O'Brien) on cello who contribute immensely to the old original ELO sound.

michiken
10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Pure metalhead here:

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
UFO
Accept (PA I have the greatest hits and can burn the rest to mp3s if you need)
Dokken/Lynch Mob
Ratt/Warren Demartini
Megadeth/Marty Friedman
Some Metallica
Ronnie James Dio (Rest in Peace)
Deep Purple epecially with Coverdale/Hughes Burn
Anything Ritchie Blackmore
Yngwie Malmsteen
Queensryche
Bruce Dickinson
Jake E Lee Badlands
Ozzy
Billy Sheehan/Talas
Judas Priest
Krokus
KingsX
Zeppelin
Van Halen
Seduce
Tesla
Bullet for my Valentine
Scorpions

And anything with Loud, Full Shred, Screamin' Guitar

Mike at A+
10-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Pure metalhead here:

Black Sabbath ...
I saw Sabbath in 1970 at the old Academy of Music in Manhattan. We were late getting our tickets to the sold out show and ended up sitting in the next to last row in the balcony. Even so, my ears were ringing for three days.

prospector
10-12-2010, 02:01 PM
strickly 50's and 60's for me...love the do wop stuff
except for meatloaf, bob dylan, zztop and rod steward..play their albums all the time in the desert..
usually have 6005 from dish network on for background noise..
geez, is my age showing?

Overlay
10-12-2010, 02:59 PM
No particular artists -- just oldies, either rock ('50's - 70's) or country ('50's onward)

michiken
10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I saw Black Sabbath in downtown Detroit at Cobo Hall when Ronnie Dio first joined. I think it was the Heaven and Hell tour.

After the concert I was walking with my girlfriend at the time. She decided she wanted to beat the crowd back to the parking deck. We were holding hands as she starts to run.

She dragged me face first into a big bad biker dude and I flattened him.

Needless to say we did not stop running until we were safely at the car. Luckily for me the biker guy was hammered or too high to go after us immediately.

I can still remember the Dio Chants 'On and On, On and On its Heaven and Hell'.

Black Ruby
10-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Santana, Steely Dan, Doobies, Danny Gatton, The Mother Truckers, Ugly Americans, Viceroys, The Bodeans, Whiskeytown, The Derek Trucks Band, Johnny A, Waymon Tisdale, David Sanborn, Angelique Kidjo, cherryholmes, Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder, Johnny Berry (like a Johnny Cash with a much better voice, check out "Last of a Dying Breed", One step Closer, or Mean-eyed Cat), Dire Straits, George Benson, Joe Cocker, Thomas Dolby, The SubDudes, Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Otis Redding, Jackie Green, Leon Russell, Roomful of Blues, Albert Collins, Dwight Yoakam, Journey, Edgar Winter, Bela Fleck (check out the CD "Live at the Quick" very unusual instrumentation that really works), The Boxmasters (christmas CD), Ray Charles (I can see Clearly Now), Dr. John, Buffet, Allman Bros, Stephen Stills "Manassas", Dread Zeppelin, Delbert McClinton, Chick Corea, Manhattan Transfer, Ben Harper, Zydeco (Wayne Toups, Zachary Richard, Terrence Simian), Seatrain, James Taylor, Tony Rice, Hank Crawford and Jimmy McGriff. Lots more.

Black Ruby
10-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Oh yeah...I forgot The Band, an all time favorite.

Let's Roll
10-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I have a very nice collection of LP's including many collectables, rare and still sealed imports, ect. My taste run mostly towards whats called Progressive Rock and also Kraut Rock. By far the bulk of my collection is live concert recordings, made by fans from thier seats, going back to the late 60's. Sometimes more than one fan records the same show, I collect the multiple sources and mix them together, so you hear them all at once, synced to a very high degree. I do that on the computer with a 32 track mixing console.
I have been mixing in stereo for about 6 years and started mixing my newest releases in 5.1 Surround Sound too.

Pink Floyd
Asia
Sinatra
Roger Waters
ELP
Elvis
Supertramp
Jeff Beck
Johnny Cash
Blue Floyd
Blue Oyster Cult
Les Claypool
Brand X
Grobschnitt
Return To Forever
Eloy
Drivin N Cryin
Tangerine Dream
Donald Fagen Band
Hawkwind
Steely Dan
Camel
Peter Gabriel
PFM
Gentle Giant
Kitaro
David Glmour
YES
U.K.
Genesis
Eric Johnson
Steve Hackett
Pat Metheny
Jane
The Moody Blues
Jean Michel Jarre
Passport

GaryG
10-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Just the creme dela creme:

Dylan - up to and most certainly including Blood on the Tracks
Velvet Underground - banana album
Springsteen - Nebraska
Pink Floyd - Dark Side and Wish You Were Here
Son Volt - all
Charlie Feathers - greatest rockabilly of them all

ldiatone
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
opera, classical music, jazz i am tired of all the oldie radio stations and the old/new formats that play hendrix, then play the "red hot chili peppers"
NOW i like that music but please most of the stuff played on the radio is
"sing along'. please don't get me wrong ALL those albums and cd's above, have great cuts but the stations don't play them. no one mention "atomic rooster" that had a few tunes. or the "flock" or "savoy brown". to me, although 'stairway to heaven' is a great tune if i hear it again......but that is also local commercial radio here in the burgh.
jazz..yellow jackets, spyro gyro, weather report, benson, c. parker. just to name a few.
one plug. mozart and the "magic flute" the way he wrote the music and the way he combine the words...eg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQeXDsaiTJE&feature=related

i for got to mention "a beautiful day" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovf-UFWL-ng&feature=related

Mike at A+
10-12-2010, 06:20 PM
no one mention "atomic rooster" that had a few tunes. or the "flock" or "savoy brown".[/url]
Ah yes, Atomic Rooster. My next door neighbor was a big fan in the 70's. I liked a few of their cuts but couldn't really get into them much. I have 2 Flock LP's (The Flock and Dinosaur Swamps). And I did mention Savoy Brown. I have several of their LP's and many on CD as well. Street Corner Talking is probably their most well known but after a long layoff they released Savage Return which I really liked.

Beachbabe
10-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I like a lot of stuff from big bands to jazz to classic rock, etc.

But if I was stranded on a deserted island & could have only the albums (or cds) from just one artist, it would be only one.................Frank Sinatra.

JustRalph
10-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Springsteen - Nebraska

Great Album Gary..... His best stuff even if he tries to hide it.........much better than the last ten to fifteen years

That album was supposedly the stuff he left off of Born in the USA

Most of that album was recorded on a 4 track at the foot of his bed while his wife slept...... at least that is what he says in a couple of books.

That wife was .........Julianne Philips.........now that is inspiration..... :lol:

fiveouttasix
10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
So. Rock- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Blues- Joe Bonnamsa
Blues Rock- Beth Hart
Country- Sugarland
Americana- Lucinda Williams

My all Time favorite- The Doors

Shemp Howard
10-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm partial to "3 Blind Mice"

riskman
10-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Mostly like solo artists.

Willie Nelson

Rod Stewart

Patsy Cline

Elton John

Neil Young

Janis Joplin

Bob Dylan

Marvin Gaye

Christina Aguilera

John Prine

Rookies
10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
While I love Music, like several here my tastes are eclectic. I wouldn’t snob out and say that: “Nothing good came after 1972” ( a la Big Chill), but I do stick heavily with the classical stars who have a track record. Towards that end, I have personally attended concerts of the following: Beatles, Doors, Jefferson Airplane, 3 Dog Night, Stones, Jimi, Van the Man, BB King, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Pat Matheny, Branford Marsalis, Jethro Tull, Mountain, Melanie, Jose Feliciano, Procol Harum, Alice Cooper, Sly & the Family Stone, Ten Years After, Leonard Cohen, Eric Burdon & War, Delaney and Bonnie, the Youngbloods, Grand Funk Railroad, Crowbar/Ronnie Hawkins, Pat Matheny and Branford Marsalis.

I could use the old line that I dislike only two genres: Country AND Western, but not entirely true as I enjoy “ Walking around midnight” as much as “ You were always on my mind”. The same with Crap, but I believe Eminen’s “ Lose Yourself” is one of the more thoughtful pitches for everyone, especially youth!

From the Allman Bros to Neil Young, Bonobo to Zeppelin, Neil Young and his various incarnations to Robbie Robertson and his, Dylan, Mitchell, Chairman of the Board, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, U2, Sting, Cold Play, Animals, Leon Russell and Redbone, Bobby Darin, Ray Charles, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Von Bodies, the Hip, Pogues, Gershwin and Mozart, Who & Guess Who, on and on. I have about a 600 steady playlist and am ramping up my Jazz. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dire Straits, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Bob Seger, Peter Gabriel, Leonard Cohen...and Luciano Pavarotti.

highnote
10-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I have 5000 songs on a USB drive in my truck. So many different things it would blow you away. I was listening to Clint eastwood sing the other day, the wife almost bailed out of the truck :lol:

That wasn't Clint singing "Bar Room Buddies" was it? :D Classic :ThmbUp:

highnote
10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
As an old lefty, I love Folk Music. The Seekers are my favorite. I also like 50s rock and roll and late 70s-early 80s country. I can put up with about anything except Rap and 60s Bubble Gum Music.

I like some bubble gum -- Love Grows Where My Rose Mary Goes. I wouldn't change the radio if I came across Sugar Sugar -- not great. How about 1-2-3 Red Light? Or Sweet City Woman.

BombsAway Bob
10-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Rock- Beatles, Zappa, Cheap Trick, Johanna Wild
Blues- Johnny Winter, Luther "GuitarJunior" Johnson, Ron Levy, Ronnie Earl
New Wave- The Clash, The Jam, Buzzcocks, Human Sexual Response
Americana- Johnny Cash, NRBQ, Commander Cody, Neil Young, Radio Kings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swXqa_jkfvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swXqa_jkfvs

magwell
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
BB and Albert King, ZZ Hill ....Stones, Acdc, Fleetwood Mac....George Jones ,Patsy Cline,....Rick Braun.....:cool:

Robert Goren
10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm in the process of burning over 1,000 albums (yes, vinyl) to CD's, MP3's, DVD's etc. My '06 Scion tC has an in dash CD player that plays MP3 CD's so I can get about 180 songs on a CD and put it on random play which is good for a couple of weeks. OK, my list of favorites:

2.) Steely Dan - saw them at Saratoga Performing Arts about 10 years ago
3.) Alan Parsons Project - saw them a few weeks ago
4.) Moody Blues - still put on a great show. Saw them twice recently
5.) Chicago - Not the same since Peter Cetera left but still great
6.) Clapton (or any band he's been in) - Goodbye Cream awesome album
7.) Free - First album (Free) was a classic
8.) Doobie Brothers - Obscure album "Brotherhood" one of my favorites
9.) Tower of Power - saw them recently and they tore the place down
10.) Steve Miller Band - saw him in the 70's. New CD "Bingo" is quite good

Honorable Mention: Allman Brothers Band, Asleep at the Wheel, Atlanta Rhythm Section, The Band, Beach Boys, Beatles, Jeff Beck, Tim Bogert ("Progressions" one of my 10 favorite albums of all time), Billy Joel, Blood Sweat & Tears, Boston, Boz Scaggs, Bryan Adams, Creedence, Dan Hicks, Doors, Dr. John, Eagles, Edgar Winter, Elton John (the early albums), Emerson Lake & Palmer, Four Seasons, Golden Earring (N.E.W.S. one of my favorite albums), Hall & Oates, Jethro Tull (saw them in Madison Square Garden back in the 70's and after playing "Thick as a Brick", a one hour song, Ian Andersen said "OK, now for our second song"), Jimi Hendrix, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd (saw them this summer at Sean Hannity's Freedon Concert in N.J. - great show), Mandrill, Manhattan Transfer, Paul Simon, Peter Allen, Phil Collins, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum, Queen, Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones (early stuff), Santana (saw them with Jeff Beck at Saratoga Performing Arts), Savoy Brown, Sea Level (Chuck Leavall talented keyboard player who plays with Clapton often), Spirit, Styx, 10 Years After, Traffic, War, The Who, Yes. I had forgot about Asleep at the Wheel. I spent yesterday afternoon listening to them. They are really great. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Mike at A+
10-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I had forgot about Asleep at the Wheel. I spent yesterday afternoon listening to them. They are really great. Thanks for reminding me of them.
Saw them live at O'Lunny's live in NYC back in the 70's. A good friend of mine was actually a friend of one of the band members, met him on a trip to Texas and when them came east to play in NYC, we got a table right up front.

If you like AATW, you should check out "Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks".

chickenhead
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
trying to come up with some more recent bands to add here -- the only two I can really come up with are Pearl Jam and Dave Mathews. Both legitimately great performers of great original music, imo, over the years.

Rookies
10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
This is the problem, Chickenhead. So many musical talents revered by youth are good until the coffee cup gets to the bottom. NO staying power in the tank.

Sure, make fun of the 70 year olds on the road, but before you do, try putting together 2-3 top hits consecutively, let alone 100 !

PhantomOnTour
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Alright...so has anyone actually gone to youtube and listened to RL Burnside? Don't miss out.

csperberg
10-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Here is a list of the individual artists and band folders from my MP3 directory, just in alphabetical order. Sorry if it's lengthy it would be longer if i listed all the ones in the various folder and a few others.

2Pac
7 Seconds
A New Found Glory
A.F.I.'s Discography
Abba-Number_Ones-2006
AC-DC
Air_Supply-Greatest_Hits-(Retail)-1988-HHI
Angry Samoans
Anthrax
Assuck
B.G
Backyad Babies
Bad Religion
Beastie Boys
Bee Gees
Big Tymers
Billy Joel
Black Flag
Black Rob
Blind Melon
Blink 182
Blue Oyster Cult - Dont Fear The Reaper (The Best Of)
Bouncing Souls
BOWLING FOR SOUP - DISCOGRAPHY
Broken Bones
BUSTED - DISCOGRAPHY
C-Murder
Camron - Confessions of Fire
CARTEL - DISCOGRAPHY
Chimaira Discography
Circle Jerks
Colbie Caillat - Coco
Corosion of Conformity
Crucifix
Curtis Mayfield
Cypress Hill
D.O.A
Daniel Powter - Daniel Powter
Danzig
Daz Dillinger
Dead Kennedys Discography
DEAD MILKMEN - 8 ALBUMS
Dead Silence
Deadbolt
Death
Death Rows Greatest Hits
DECRY
Descendents
Despite
Devo
Dicks
die kreuzen
Dio Discography
Distillers
Disturbed
DJ Quick
DMX
Do or Die
Donnas
Dr. Dre
Dread Zeppelin
Dropkick Murphys
Duran Duran
Dwarves
Eazy E
Electric Light Orchestra-The Best of
Elvis
Emmas Music
Fade To Bluegrass Volume II
Fartz
FEAR
Fiesta Comes Alive!
Fleetwood Mac
Flogging Molly
Flux of Pink Indians
Frogs
Fugazi - 13 Songs
Funkdoobiest
Gabba - Leave Stockholm
Garage Rock Revival
Gaza Strippers
Geto Boyz
Goblin
GoldFinger
Good Charlotte
Green Day
Guns n Roses
Guttermouth
Happy Campers - Black Bear Album
Happy Campers - S'more Core
Hawthore Heights
High On Fire -2010- Snakes for the Divine
Hot Water Music
House of Pain - House of Pain
Husker Du
Ice Cube
INCUBUS
IRON MAIDEN DISCOGRAPHY
JANES ADDICTION
Jens Mp3's
Jetty_Boys-Sheboygan-2009
John Denver - Definitive All-Time Greatest Hits
Johnny Cash
Johnny Rebel
Judas Priest
Judgement night Original Soundtrack
Just Ice
Juvenile
Kiss
kottonmouth kings
Kraut
Kurupt
L.A. Guns
Lagwagon
Led Zepplin
Les Claypool Studio Pack
LESS THAN JAKE - DISCOGRAPHY
Lionel Richie & The Commodores - The Definitive Collection
Ma$e
Mac
Man or AstroMan
Mando Diao - Ode to Ochrasy
Marty Robins
Master P
Master P Presents Down South Hustlers
Mc 900 ft Jesus
Me First And The Gimme Gimmes Full Discography
Men at Work
Metal Mike
Metallica
Method Man
Millencolin
Mindless_Self_Indulgence-Youll_Rebel_To_Anything-(MET367)-Vinyl-2005-MTD
Minor Threat - 1989 - Complete Discography
Misfits
Motley Crue
Mystikal
N.E.R.D
N.W.A
NaS
Nashville Pussy
New Bomb Turks
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
NOFX
Ol Dirty Bastard - A Son Unique (2006)
Otep discography
Out of Order
Outkast
Owl City
Ozzy Osbourne
packers
Pantera
Pennywise
Pickin' On The Beatles
Pickin' On Zeppelin - A Tribute
Pickin' on ZZ Top-A Bluegrass Tribute-2001
Pink Floyd
Plasmatics
Poison
Primus
public enemy
Puff Daddy
quarashi
Queen
Rancid
Randy - Randy The Band -2005
Rape Man
Reagan Youth
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Discography
Richie Rich
Rocket From The Crypt
Roger Waters
ROT
Run DMC
Scandal-The Warrior (1984)
Scarface
Shattered Faith
Silkk the Shocker
Skid row
Slayer
Slightly Stoopid
SloppySeconds
Smut Peddlers
SNFU
Snoop Dogg
Social Distortion
Sonic's Rendezvous Band
Soulja Slim
Southern Culture On The Skids
Steady Mobb'n
Steel Pulse
Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits
Sublime
Sugar
Sugar Ray
Suicidal Tendencies
suicide machines
Sum 41
SuperShit 666
Supersuckers
Swingin'Utters
Teenage Fanclub-Bandwagonesquere
Television's Greatest Hits, Vol. 3_ 70'
Tha Eastsidaz
The Barking Tribe
The Barracudas
The Belmont Playboys
The Best Punk Anthems Ever
The Bloodhound Gang
The Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica
The Candy Snatchers
The Come Ons
The Compulsive Gamblers
The Cramps
The Cynics
The D.O.C
The Datsuns
The Deadly Snakes - Ode to Joy
The Detroit Cobras - Baby
The Devil Dogs
The Dickies
The Dirtbombs
The Dwarves
The Exploited (1987) - Death Before Dishonour
The F-Ups
The Flamin Groovies
The Flaming Sideburns
The Fleshtones
The Fuzztones
The Gories
The Hellacopters - By The Grace Of God
The Hentchmen
The Hives
The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives
The Llegendary Shack Shakers
The Lords of Altamont - Lords Have Mercy
The Lords Of The New Church
The Lurkers
The Lyres
The Meatmen
The Mono Men
The Mooney Suzuki
The Necros
The Notorious B.I.G
The Offspring
The Original Sins
The Paybacks
The Purple Hearts
The Police
The Queers
The Ramones
The Revelators
The Smashing Pumpkins Discography
The Smithereens
The Vandals
The Velvet Underground
The Verve
The Von Blondies
The Voodoo Organist
The Who
Thee Headcoatees
The_Clash_-_The_Singles_(Boxset)-(19CDS-2oo6-SAW)
Thin Lizzy
Tilt
tim and eric awesome torrent!
Too Short
Totimoshi
Toxic Narcotic,Misery
Toxic Reason
Toxic Shock
Transplants
TRU
Tsunami Bomb
Turbonegro
UK Subs
Unknown mixers
VA - A Bluegrass Tribute-Pickin' on CCR (1999)
VA - A Bluegrass Tribute-Pickin' on Lynyrd Skynyrd (1998)
VA - A Bluegrass Tribute-Pickin' on Neil Young (2005)
VA - A Bluegrass Tribute-Pickin' on Pink Floyd (2001)
VA - A Bluegrass Tribute-Pickin' on the Allman Brothers (2000)
VA - A Bluegrass Tribute-Pickin' on the Doobie Brothers (2001)
VA - A Bluegrass Tribute-Pickin' on the Grateful Dead [2CD]
VA - Punk Goes Metal
VA - Punk Goes Pop
VA - This Is Boston, Not L.A
VA - Totally_Country_Vol._6-2007
VA-PunkGoes80s(Advance)2005
Various
Venomous Concept - Poisoned Apple
Very Metal
Videos
Voice of Da Streets
Weezer
Weird Al
Westside Connection
White Stripes, The
Yonder_Mountain_String_Band-Yonder_Mountain_String_Band-2006
Young Black Teenagers
Young Bleed

mountainman
10-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Patsy Cline

My dad loved Patsy Cline, and after he died, my mom would just lose it when "Sweet Dreams" came on the radio. It chokes me up a little bit, too.

mountainman
10-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I like some bubble gum -- Love Grows Where My Rose Mary Goes. I wouldn't change the radio if I came across Sugar Sugar -- not great. How about 1-2-3 Red Light? Or Sweet City Woman.

The Archies RULE!

bigmack
10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Men at Work
Shame on you, Cal. Delete that folder knowing you're doing the right thing.

You have my word, I'll never speak of this again.

Tom
10-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Mac, these guys are icons! :cool:
swQi4CAzmrA

Tom
10-13-2010, 10:04 PM
And, the award for best pants goes to.....
YfTuQki83qw&feature=related

JustRalph
10-13-2010, 10:12 PM
My dad loved Patsy Cline, and after he died, my mom would just lose it when "Sweet Dreams" came on the radio. It chokes me up a little bit, too.

Ron Dante is the voice behind the archies and had much success as a producer and vocalist with many different bands. Very interesting story he is

http://www.rondante.com/Ron_Dante_Bio_for_Website.doc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Dante

http://www.rondante.com/

Tom
10-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Best beer swillin', ass kickin' rock'n roll....
LwfmfMBLZiM

turfnsport
10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
My new wave, slam dancing, and stage diving days are over...

Jack's Mannequin, Alejandro Escovedo, The Avett Brothers, Joe Jackson, Kings Of Leon, Rhett Miller, Matt Nathanson, Old 97's, Cowboy Mouth, Ryan Adams, The Gourds, Reckless Kelly, Sarah Borges and the Broken Singles, Red Dirt Rangers, Last Train Home, Dashboard Confessional, Blue Rodeo, Leaving, TX, Micky and the Motorcars, The Damnwells, My Morning Jacket, Texas Tornados, Dash Rip Rock, Two Dollar Pistols, Elvis Costello, Dale Watson, Derailers, Wilco

csperberg
10-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Shame on you, Cal. Delete that folder knowing you're doing the right thing.

You have my word, I'll never speak of this again.

That should really just be in the various category since there is only one song by them in there...lol Other than that yes I should feel ashamed

chickenhead
10-14-2010, 12:06 AM
my sister has an old cassette tape of an kindergarten aged chickenhead putting in work, with a stirring rendition of his favorite song at the time -- Men at Works "Down Under". She generally breaks it out only the first time I bring a new girlfriend around. Also included, "Rainbow Connection" by Kermit the Frog and "Abracadabra" by Steve Miller.

My R's all came out W's back then....it'd be more properly titled Wainbow Connection and AbwaAbwaCadabwa, I'm gonna weach out and gwab ya.

jSFLZ-MzIhM

dav4463
10-14-2010, 01:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epDsplHK3Bo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlrDTwTYIlM&feature=related

dav4463
10-14-2010, 01:23 AM
csperberg-- thanks for reminding me of The Meatmen ! They were so sick ! I like the song about Margo from the eastside and what she will do to you!

dav4463
10-14-2010, 01:46 AM
Im am a huge Who fan, but have never seen this cover of "Can't Explain". It was surprisingly pretty good considering who did it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Punmym4do4U&feature=related

bigmack
10-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Not many I haven't heard from all those mentioned. I've always listened to everything and continue to search new artists. Anyone that comes over to the house has to sit with Rhapsody and roll me through who they've been listening to lately or turn me on to someone I'm not familiar with. Keeps me on my toes.

As mentioned, as a kid I would sit at the local library that had an epic record selection and grabs stacks & stacks of vinyl and listen for hours on end while I'd read.

I listened to everything. I never turned my back on any genre.

Most jarring piece ever, that threw me against the wall and beat me over the head and was by far the most emotional draining experience of my life was Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Gawd, what a ride.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/istrav.png

Oh yeah...I forgot The Band, an all time favorite.
I read a while back that Robbie Robertson & Marty Scorsese had a place in Malibu and would watch films all night and R2 would write tunes during the day. All the while they were wacked out of their minds. Sounds fun.

Robbie wrote some awfully nice stuff.

sjCw3-YTffo

rastajenk
10-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Reggae

:cool:

JustRalph
10-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Mack...great video...... :ThmbUp:

The Staple Singers made that cut awesome.........love it........

rastajenk
10-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Reggae huh? Early UB40 is excellent...before they became a cover band! Ever heard of LKJ (Linton Kwesi Johnson)? Serious roots dub poet in England. Odd as it may sound Sinead O'Connor put out a great cover album of Burning Spear songs. Check 'em out.

Not familiar with the Sinead/BSpear connection; sounds interesting. I have some LKJ on some compilation albums...good stuff.

I've kinda lost track of any new music this past decade, especially within the reggae genre, but I still get out the old masters regularly like Toots, Tosh, JImmy Cliff, Melodians, crooners like Gregory Isaacs and Dennis Brown; stayed current with some of the dance club DJ's like Barrington Levy, Eek a Mouse, Buju Banton et al for a while. Still like the dub stylings of Sly and Robbie, Black Uhuru...even the Clash did some good dubbing.

so.cal.fan
10-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Hazel Dickens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjMAj2B0D8c

So.Cal.Fan is strictly a bluegrass fan!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdgiz02kKQU

Tom
10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Anyone into Bruce Hornsby? Go to nugs.net and you can download a live album - 20 cuts - FREE NOISE with the Noisemakers.

0ln5uQ4Dfj8

Tom
10-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Two of the best together...Hooker and Heat (John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat). You need some Southern Comfort for sippin' with this album.

U9OmkP_AelU

Grits
10-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Ray Charles (the immortal, greatest, musician ever lived)

Shelby Lynne

Dr.John

Oscar Peterson

Chet Baker

Allen Toussaint

Willie Nelson

Leon Russell (because he penned my favorite song ever written, one covered by Ray--"A Song For You")

Jimmy Smith (greatest Hammond B3 artist to ever sit in front of the keyboard)

Standards (Cole Porter, Gershwin Bros., Stephen Sondheim, etc.)

Vince Gill

Diana Krall

Etta James

Dinah Washington

Keb Mo'

The Eagles

Paul McCartney

Allison Krauss

James Taylor

Andrew Lloyd Weber (extraordinary show tunes)

The BeeGees

Prince

There is SO much music I love.

bigmack
10-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Anyone into Bruce Hornsby? Go to nugs.net and you can download a live album - 20 cuts - FREE NOISE with the Noisemakers.
Awww, I had that Wurlitzer electric piano and sold it. Always had a nice sound. (Adjust the tremelo, don'tcha know)

Really dug the CH/JLHooker, T. Tanks.

I done gots a thing for playing acoustic g in a row boat in the middle of nowhweres. The scoop of the boat lends itself well to good acoustics.

With that in mind, take a drink of MartyS:

-kzxRdeA-74

PhantomOnTour
10-15-2010, 11:02 PM

0ln5uQ4Dfj8
Bruce Hornsby and Allison Krauss ate at my restaurant when they were touring together a few years ago...neato.

Tom....do you know what nugs.net really means?

Hoofhearted
10-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Used to love most of the stuff mentioned on here ............. Canned Heat, The Band, Allman Brothers, Kinks.
But that was way back in the day.
Nowadays in my fifties it is exclusively modern American metal that does it for me.
Bands like Black Label Society; Down; etc.

eastie
10-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Vampire Weekend
Tea Leaf green
Umphrey's McGee
J. Geils band
Andy Surly and the Pedants

Rookies
10-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Robbie wrote some awfully nice stuff.

Indeed, he did BM! And, as mentioned previously, " Somewhere down the crazy river" one of his best avec syncopation.

Always felt a little bad for his mentor and talent scout- Ronnie Hawkins. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_HawkinsThe Hawk was a good old boy, redneck who migrated to Toronto from Arkansas in the 60s and had RR as his back up. I'm a bit partial, because when hitchhiking in Southern Ontario, was picked up in a big caddy from Tex-Ass, who was just happening to be going to Ronnie's place. Got to meet the big man ! :ThmbUp: