PDA

View Full Version : Pval gets tag teamed......

JustRalph
09-10-2003, 01:26 AM
I noticed PVal had a small little mouse under his eye during a TVG interview that day.... things are getting thick in California............
I have been told by some racing types that Pval is starting to get under the skin of some people because they feel that they have to "ride around him" because they don't know what he will do at any given time.

From Espn.com

Tuesday, September 9

Valenzuela, Berrio tussle in jocks' room

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Jay Privman
Daily Racing Form

DEL MAR, Calif. - Jockeys Patrick Valenzuela and Omar Berrio both face possible disciplinary action from Del Mar's stewards following a fight in the jockeys' room after Monday's third race, in which a horse Valenzuela rode to victory was disqualified in a controversial decision.

According to eyewitnesses, Berrio and Valenzuela traded blows in a foyer of the jockeys' room, then continued to battle in the main part of the room. Jockeys Frank Alvarado, who is friendly with Berrio, and Max Corrales also became entangled, before all four were separated by track security guards and California Horse Racing Board personnel.

"It was three against one," said one top 10 rider, who witnessed the fight. "They beat up Patrick as a gang."

Valenzuela in the third race crossed the wire first with 4-5 favorite Grinding It Out. At the top of the stretch, while swooping to the lead, Grinding it Out drifted in, causing Berrio to check momentarily on Westward Star, who appeared to be tiring.

After reviewing films, the stewards disqualified Grinding It Out and placed him last, behind Westward Star, who eventually had faded to trail in the eight-horse field.

Valenzuela was furious. He hastily took the tack off of Grinding It Out, then picked up a phone near a scale by the winner's circle and called the stewards.

Moments later, when he got back to the jockeys' room, the fight began.

The stewards said they would meet with Alvarado, Berrio, Corrales, and Valenzuela on Wednesday morning, before the closing-day card at Del Mar. It is expected there will be fines and/or suspensions.

David Samuel, one of Del Mar's stewards, said Grinding It Out was disqualified in part because Berrio - while speaking with the stewards while the inquiry was in progress - said Valenzuela cut him off despite yelling a warning.

"Berrio was upset, and he never gets upset," Samuel said. "We considered what the riders said, which we always do."

"There's a safety factor," added George Slender, another of Del Mar's stewards.

Asked if Grinding It Out could have remained first, but Valenzuela subsequently suspended - since the horse who was fouled was fifth at the time of the incident and appeared to be tiring - Slender said there was precedent for that, but that in this incident, it was deemed that Westward Star was impeded severely. "It's hard to say where he would have finished," Slender said.

Hosshead
09-13-2003, 04:03 PM
I have personally seen Pat V. yelling angrily about the "other" horse in a close finish while walking back to the jocks room at Santa Anita. This was years ago before he was kicked out for drugs. He has always been a hothead. Sure he's a good jock, and being the best "gate jock", he gets a head start in almost every race. But with the success he is now having, he's getting used to having things his own way. It's causing other jocks to dislike him more and more.- Not for his success, but for the way he is, and always has been. So when Berrio says (and he did say) that Pat V. attacked him, I tend to believe him. After all, Berrio got some retribution when P.V's horse was placed last. I think it was pissed-off-Pat that started it. The other jocks just joined in, with feeling that have been building up for a long time.