PDA

View Full Version : New Holland auction description, don't read if squicky

WinterTriangle
10-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Dark Horse: for many equines that have served humans faithfully, an undignified end awaits:

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/5620/

argh. nothing I didn't know, but you sure would have to be a tough cookie to even go there to rescue a horse I guess.

I have to appreciate comedian Jon Stewart's comment: "Worth noting, in a reflective and economy-minded sort of way regarding the issue of demand (for meeting slaughter , is something comedian Jon Stewart said, which was referred to by racing columnist Jay Hovdey in the Daily Racing Form: “There’s demand for cocaine and hookers, too.”

joanied
10-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I can't read that story...I am painfully aware of the incredible cruelty of slaughter houses...to put horses through that nightmare is criminal...heartbreaking and to know there are people willing to work in those plants just blows me away.
:mad: :( :mad:

Hammerhead
10-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Read the story and just wish I had the land and money to care for these animals. God forbid I ever run in to any of these people. There lives would be worthless once they hit the floor. I have 3 horses and now 3 goats plus numorous rescued dogs and cats. My last horse was put up here to board and the F'N people never came back as of 2 years ago. Thank God I can take care of him. 99% of people I know do not take the best care of there pets after the first couple weeks. At my age and health I don't need any more so called do gooders.

Rackon
10-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I know a few people, members of 2 different rescues, who troll New Holland for both racers and show horses - God bless 'em, I just couldn't do it. I give the rescues money instead.

I have a hard time with owners who just discard horses like so much garbage.

SmartyLane
10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I know it is more then just the Amish and Mennonite people that do this, but I live relatively close to some of the communities of the Amish/Mennonites, and their whole outlook on animals is horribles. Puppy mills, neglect, you name it. Makes me sick really. Animals are for human use in terms of work, food, and income, etc. The whole mindset is messed up. I can respect the way of life, but some of their ways is disgraceful.

I am not a PETA kind of person, I love me a good ribeye, and love shooting me some ducks.........it is the common decency that is lacking. The mindset won't change either.

You ever passed a horse and buggy on the highway awhile your doing 75 mph and their going about 15-20 mph. Kind of spooks ya, b/c if that horse decided to bolt, game over.

Rackon
10-11-2010, 08:35 PM
To be fair, I know some Amish and Mennonites here in Indiana that breed standarbreds and/or Saddlebreds who treat their horses very well.

And, I also know some who don't; I hate going to the auction at Shipshewana cuz it's a nightmare - the condition of some of the old Belgians is pitiful.

There are a few car-truck/buggy wrecks in Amish country, but far fewer than there might be. It's really scary at night.

Hammerhead
10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
They are all the Lords creation for our work and enjoyment. With the correct training and love they will give there lives to help you