PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it amazing...

tzipi
10-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Watching the Secretariat specials on ESPN during the last cople days, I think I realized alot.

Isn't it amazing in OUR sport, our athletes are innocent, pure and total talent.

Isn't it amazing a horse can walk on the track in front of its fans and show what perfection is.

Isn't it amazing athletes praise themselves in many sports but in racing jockeys thank, praise and pat on the neck...... the horses.

Isn't it amazing that you can watch a video that lasts a little over a minute or two minutes and 24 seconds a million times over and still be shocked and have goosebumps each time.

Isn't it amazing you can talk to any horse racing fan at the track and find out their first memories of their first race or their memories of the day they were at the track for the "greatest race ever".

Isn't it amazing our sport can leave you breathless and question yourself about what you just saw and on top of that, it can last a lifetime.

Isn't it amazing no matter what day we've had the day before, we can come right back to watch our athletes run.

Isn't it amazing that our sport has the GREATEST "stadiums" known to sports.

AND isn't it amazing the other sports can have their athletes but we have the greatest athletes of all in Secretariat, Man O War, Citation, Ruffian, Dr fager, Holy Bull, John Henry, Forego, Kelso, Personal Ensign, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Alydar, and of course our Zens and Rachels. Plus many, many more.

Well that's my post for the day. Gotta love racing. :)

tzipi
10-11-2010, 12:38 AM
I also should praise the jockeys. No other sport follows their athletes around in ambulances. ;)

joanied
10-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Great post:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Pine Tree Lane
10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
My favorite part of the Secretariat Sports Century is the collection of true journalists who lace their prose with reverence.

Heywood Hale Broun
Jack Whittaker
George Plimpton
Frank Deford
Billy Reed
Bill Nack
Jerry Izenberg

SmartyLane
10-12-2010, 09:09 PM
My favorite part of the Secretariat Sports Century is the collection of true journalists who lace their prose with reverence.

Heywood Hale Broun
Jack Whittaker
George Plimpton
Frank Deford
Billy Reed
Bill Nack
Jerry Izenberg

I watch that video all the time........2 parts stick out to me.

One is where Nack says "I've never seen a horse so fit, his eyes were big as saucers, his nostrils were flared, he was nickering, his ears were playing, his muscles were rippling, and he was walking around on his hind legs, and I remember thinking, boy what are we going to see today"
That part gives me chills everytime.

Other is Clem Florio, "He let him run, come lets see what he has got, you've done the derby, you've done the preakness, come on lets see what this boy can do"
That part also gets me for some reason.

I absolutely love the sportscentury of Secretariat.