PDA

View Full Version : A wonderful Zenyatta column with a shot at Beyer

Valinthesouth
10-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Hello all! New here (did not know of this board!) but wanted to share a story from our local paper. The best line: "Her naysayers will never venture to the dark bay side, and it's no use trying to make them see what they can't feel." :ThmbUp:

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2010/oct/10/19-down-1-to-go-undefeated-zenyatta-punches-her/

SmartyParty
10-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Hello all! New here (did not know of this board!) but wanted to share a story from our local paper. The best line: "Her naysayers will never venture to the dark bay side, and it's no use trying to make them see what they can't feel." :ThmbUp:

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2010/oct/10/19-down-1-to-go-undefeated-zenyatta-punches-her/

Welcome, Valinthesouth! So glad you picked now to join our board as that was a terrific article about The Queen! It was a great way to start the day, and I'll print it for my file of the One and Only Zenyatta!

eastie
10-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Wow what a way to start. Best first post ever. Can't wait for Churchill when more will become believers

The Hawk
10-10-2010, 09:58 AM

This silly line, which, obviously, seems completely made up:

"Interestingly, many of Zenyatta's detractors also maintain that Alydar was a better horse than Affirmed, or that Easy Goer was superior in every way to Sunday Silence..."

...is better understood when you know the following:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/1996/01/31/1996-01-31_award_winner_accused_of_ecli.html

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/stephanie-diaz

KingChas
10-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow what a way to start. Best first post ever.

As Oprah would say...Wow,wow,wow,wow,wow.

Good Luck,Val. ;)

BluegrassProf
10-10-2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/1996/01/31/1996-01-31_award_winner_accused_of_ecli.html

:D

Brilliant.

Welcome to PA, Val! Always nice to have another level-headed Zenhead amongst the ranks... :ThmbUp:

the little guy
10-10-2010, 10:53 AM
:D

Brilliant.

Welcome to PA, Val! Always nice to have another level-headed Zenhead amongst the ranks... :ThmbUp:

This may be the final and greatest Zenyatta litmus test. Boy, you guys really know how to sniff out the real deal.

Oh this is too funny.

Grits
10-10-2010, 10:55 AM
The Virginia Pilot? Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk--Tidewater area, coastal Virginia.

The writer's out of her league--would be an understatement.

(1) She made two wise distinctions in her piece. She referred to Zenyatta fans as Zealots.

(2) She kept any and all comparison to Secretariat out of the mix--which would surely have gotten her laughed into the middle of the Atlantic ocean, which is not too far from her front door in the coastal region of Va.

Hopefully, Beyer gets a Sunday morning chuckle (if he even learns of it, which one can doubt.) He's been covering horseracing for how many decades now? --As opposed to this writer from the hinterlands who probably spent more time, here, gleaning info to compose her piece than anywhere else.

As it turned out, the grandstand - which was brimming with hundreds of Zenyatta zealots - was the place to be for Zenyatta's third straight Lady's Secret victory. The atmosphere gave one the feeling of being digitally inserted into an old-time newsreel, maybe Seabiscuit's 1938 Hollywood Gold Cup triumph, or Chris Evert's 50-length romp over Miss Musket in their 1974 match race.

Nor does she have her facts correct either. A Pulitzer candidate would.

Rachel Alexandra, who would be voted 2009 Horse of the Year over Zenyatta in balloting that proved to be strictly partisan, had not been entered in the Classic at Santa Anita because of its all-weather synthetic track; Rachel's owner, Jess Jackson, has been a harsh critic of artificial surfaces and refused to run his filly on them.

In his column last week, the Great Handicapper opined that if Zenyatta's connections had "gone East to confront a below-her-prime Rachel Alexandra this summer, she might have won the Zenyatta vs. Rachel debate once and for all." The Great Handicapper fails to mention one important fact. Zenyatta was primed for a matchup with Rachel in the April 9 Apple Blossom Invitational at Oaklawn Park (on a dirt track); Rachel's connections withdrew her from the race after a drubbing at the hooves of Zardana - a second stringer from the Shirreffs barn - in the March 13 New Orleans Ladies Stakes.

Notably, Zenyatta is a great horse with an outstanding record. One that took the path of least resistence to history. One who will never be, not even on the same planet as Secretariat. Nice to have another thread on the big mare going towards the BC. And a song, too, even. Hope she wins it, then as has been said, she will have taken on quality racehorse competition twice. --Something the writer failed to mention.

(Think I'll go to the movies this afternoon and watch the story of the real deal, the one who set all the track records that still remain.)

Grits
10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Whatever you guys do this afternoon, don't miss the song . . . .

Get it right here.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76074

Valinthesouth
10-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Rachel Alexandra, who would be voted 2009 Horse of the Year over Zenyatta in balloting that proved to be strictly partisan, had not been entered in the Classic at Santa Anita because of its all-weather synthetic track; Rachel's owner, Jess Jackson, has been a harsh critic of artificial surfaces and refused to run his filly on them.

In his column last week, the Great Handicapper opined that if Zenyatta's connections had "gone East to confront a below-her-prime Rachel Alexandra this summer, she might have won the Zenyatta vs. Rachel debate once and for all." The Great Handicapper fails to mention one important fact. Zenyatta was primed for a matchup with Rachel in the April 9 Apple Blossom Invitational at Oaklawn Park (on a dirt track); Rachel's connections withdrew her from the race after a drubbing at the hooves of Zardana - a second stringer from the Shirreffs barn - in the March 13 New Orleans Ladies Stakes.

Grits, sorry, didn't know how to break this out in a quote. What is inaccurate about it?
Looks like I really stepped into a lively place! ;)
I don't like the song. Not a country fan.

Grits
10-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Val, welcome to Pace Advantage. There is plenty . . . . more than an abundance of posts to read here at PA regarding Zenyatta and Rachel. It can, and does, get firey at times. It may take you a few months to get through it all, but there's a lot here. Again, welcome.

joanied
10-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Welcome, Valinthesouth...

it isn't your fault you took an article written by a writter that had her award taken away for writting BS stories...

:) :) :)

OTM Al
10-10-2010, 11:54 AM

"Interestingly, many of Zenyatta's detractors also maintain that Alydar was a better horse than Affirmed,

His jockey did. Don't know how he feels about Zen though as I haven't seen him in a while.

Grits
10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Welcome, Valinthesouth...

it isn't your fault you took an article written by a writter that had her award taken away for writting BS stories...

:) :) :)

Good one, Joanie. LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Spent her time, here, sorta like she spent her time receiving faxes from the Keeneland library and other print pieces. Ain't nothing like having your Eclipse award snatched. What nerve, still turning it out--and about the most respected journalist in horseracing.

Cardus
10-10-2010, 12:26 PM
How condescending: it was nice "to be a commoner..."

Bush league writing all around, too.

joanied
10-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Good one, Joanie. LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Spent her time, here, sorta like she spent her time receiving faxes from the Keeneland library and other print pieces. Ain't nothing like having your Eclipse award snatched. What nerve, still turning it out--and about the most respected journalist in horseracing.

Well, sometimes one never learns...you'd think after having the award taken away, she'd go hide under a rock...guess the total :blush: of loosing her award and getting caught writting BS wasn't enough for her to just quit.

Dahoss9698
10-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Wow what a way to start. Best first post ever. Can't wait for Churchill when more will become believers

You better hope she runs better than your other single Get Stormy did yesterday.

"Interestingly, many of Zenyatta's detractors also maintain that Alydar was a better horse than Affirmed, or that Easy Goer was superior in every way to Sunday Silence..."

That's awesome.

My favorite part of the "piece" was this quote by Dottie Shirreffs:

"I think some people in life have to measure things in numbers"

What irony. Oh and welcome to the board Stephanie. :lol:

letswastemoney
10-10-2010, 01:13 PM
We do have to measure things in numbers.

Number of times Zenyatta has beaten Rachel: 0

Sunday Silence was better than Easy Goer because he beat Easy Goer more times than Easy Goer beat him.

Affirmed was better than Alydar because he beat him more times as well.

foregoforever
10-10-2010, 01:58 PM
The Virginia Pilot? Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk--Tidewater area, coastal Virginia.

The writer's out of her league--would be an understatement.

I agree with your post and enjoyed the general snarkiness, but I could do without your implication that being in Virginia somehow contributes to her being "out of her league". Plenty of silly things get written everywhere.

It's especially ironic because you ended your post with references to that horse that's in the movies these days. I'm sure you know that he was foaled here in the hinterlands and didn't turn out to be out of his league. ;)

Grits
10-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I agree with your post and enjoyed the general snarkiness, but I could do without your implication that being in Virginia somehow contributes to her being "out of her league". Plenty of silly things get written everywhere.

It's especially ironic because you ended your post with references to that horse that's in the movies these days. I'm sure you know that he was foaled here in the hinterlands and didn't turn out to be out of his league. ;)

You're correct, and I'm aware, and for this I apologize. Secretariat was, indeed, born in Caroline County, Virginia, just north of Richmond, having visited his farm, birthplace long before it became an Equine and Expo Center and part of the Virginia State Fairgrounds Complex.

She is "out of her league" even daring to mention Andy Beyer's name in anything she writes--and this would be true wherever she resides as she was stripped of her Eclipse Award for plagurizing. Still, when one thinks of Virginia and horses, one thinks more to the west, towards Middleburg not as much to the eastern region of the Tidewater area, hence, my point of the "hinterlands". Exception being New Kent and Colonial Downs. Again, I apologize.

foregoforever
10-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Secretariat was born in Caroline County, Virginia, just north of Richmond, having visited his farm, birthplace long before it became an Equine and Expo Center and part of the Virginia State Fairgrounds Complex.

I figured you knew all that, and my post was meant in fun. Horse country in Virginia is a bit farther west and more into the steeplechase and equestrian varieties.

The Pilot does make an effort at covering Colonial Downs and generally does better than the Richmond paper. I'm not sure if the infamous Ms. Diaz has landed there or if she's free-lancing. She's not listed on the staff page, and several of her articles are shown as "special to The Pilot".

Valinthesouth
10-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't know why I put in this thread's title, "a SHOT at Andy Beyer." Maybe that angered people who revere him. In fact it was not a shot at all, merely a good natured jab. I knew it was Andy Beyer because I read the book that was referenced in the article.

I apologize for dredging up what seems to still be very infuriating, and PERSONAL, to so many people here. That was not my intention. I do not know Stephanie Diaz, but I have enjoyed her work immensely. All I know about her is that she has a farm nearby and rescues and retires old racehorses. For that reason alone, I am glad she has stayed involved in racing and not "crawled under a rock" was was suggested.

I am a big believer in second chances if people make good on them. I read the articles about the Eclipse Award scandal; fine, that's bad, there seem to be gray areas - I won't pretend to know about it but why should this writer go under a rock, never to be heard from again? Should Doris Kearns Goodwin, Mike Barnicle, or Mitch Albom go under a rock and never be allowed to work again? Good grief, people. I have to think nobody would give a rip where she was working if she wasn't a very good writer.

There are probably people on this board who think Steve Asmussen should go under a rock for his prior misdeeds. Right?

Apparently the Eclipse incident taught her something because a google search I did revealed more awards she won after it happened. Which proves my point. She wouldn't be such a lightning rod if she wasn't good.

Valerie

the little guy
10-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I love message boards.

affirmedny
10-10-2010, 05:03 PM
We do have to measure things in numbers.

Number of times Zenyatta has beaten Rachel: 0

Sunday Silence was better than Easy Goer because he beat Easy Goer more times than Easy Goer beat him.

Affirmed was better than Alydar because he beat him more times as well.

Enough with the common sense!! Don't forget Affirmed beat "Bid" rather handily too......

JustRalph
10-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I love message boards.

Funny, after reading this thread I was having the opposite reaction

GaryG
10-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I am hoping the BC Classic will put all of this silliness to rest, but it probably won't. I happen to think Virginia is a beautiful state with some of the nicest people I have met.

GARY Z
10-10-2010, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=Grits]Whatever you guys do this afternoon, don't miss the song . . . .

Looks Like I'll have to visit the Naked Cowboy in Times Square
and commission him to compose and a song
about Rachel A :eek: :cool:

:jump: :jump: :jump:

SmartyParty
10-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't know why I put in this thread's title, "a SHOT at Andy Beyer." Maybe that angered people who revere him. In fact it was not a shot at all, merely a good natured jab. I knew it was Andy Beyer because I read the book that was referenced in the article.

I apologize for dredging up what seems to still be very infuriating, and PERSONAL, to so many people here. That was not my intention. I do not know Stephanie Diaz, but I have enjoyed her work immensely. All I know about her is that she has a farm nearby and rescues and retires old racehorses. For that reason alone, I am glad she has stayed involved in racing and not "crawled under a rock" was was suggested.

I am a big believer in second chances if people make good on them. I read the articles about the Eclipse Award scandal; fine, that's bad, there seem to be gray areas - I won't pretend to know about it but why should this writer go under a rock, never to be heard from again? Should Doris Kearns Goodwin, Mike Barnicle, or Mitch Albom go under a rock and never be allowed to work again? Good grief, people. I have to think nobody would give a rip where she was working if she wasn't a very good writer.

There are probably people on this board who think Steve Asmussen should go under a rock for his prior misdeeds. Right?

Apparently the Eclipse incident taught her something because a google search I did revealed more awards she won after it happened. Which proves my point. She wouldn't be such a lightning rod if she wasn't good.

Valerie

Val, some of us liked the article a lot. Thanks again for posting it.

horses4courses
10-10-2010, 11:38 PM
She is "out of her league" even daring to mention Andy Beyer's name in anything she writes

Comical the way that Beyer has become idolized over the years.
At the track he has the appearance of just another degenerate gambler.

I enjoy his articles, and his numbers have changed the horse betting game in this country. The benefit of this change, for me, has been the reliance of players on these numbers, and how poorly they interpret them.
Reading between the lines is where there is money to be made.

Mr. Beyer has contributed much to the science of betting on horses in the US.
Last I heard, though, he is a mere mortal...... ;)

WinterTriangle
10-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Well, sometimes one never learns...you'd think after having the award taken away, she'd go hide under a rock...guess the total :blush: of loosing her award and getting caught writting BS wasn't enough for her to just quit.

Perhaps her talents could be put to better use, not as a writer, but in what she does best: use her heart to help ex-racehorses.

If you asked Penny Chenery what she thought of Ms. Diaz, I'm sure you'd get a glowing report.

That's because Ms. Diaz paid to rescue Straight Flush (a horse born into Chenery's barn and the son of Secretariat's stablemate Riva Ridge) from a muddy feedlot in Texas on his way to the slaughterhouse. He was 24 then, Ms. Diaz gave him to Neal Arave where he lived comfortably until he was 32. Which is very long life for a horse that didn't have much pampering in his life. :)

From what I've read, Ms. Diaz has, over the years, has coordinated the resuce of many other ex racehorses, including Letthebighossroll.

Sometimes, the good people do outweighs the bad they do........at least, we must consider them in whole, I think. In the heart's value, I'd bet that a lot of people aren't in Ms. Diaz "league". :)

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2010, 11:47 PM

I apologize for dredging up what seems to still be very infuriating, and PERSONAL, to so many people here.Still? I thought you just got here. This should all be new to you...

That new member smell isn't what it used to be I guess... :lol:

tzipi
10-11-2010, 12:54 AM
The best line: "Her naysayers will never venture to the dark bay side, and it's no use trying to make them see what they can't feel."

I don't feel Zen has alot of "naysayers" at all. I feel alot of real racing fans are against the connections.

Valinthesouth
10-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Still? I thought you just got here. This should all be new to you...

That new member smell isn't what it used to be I guess... :lol:

"Still" as in people STILL appear to be holding personal grudges about the previously referenced incident some 15 years after the fact. You didn't get that?

The Hawk
10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Perhaps her talents could be put to better use, not as a writer, but in what she does best: use her heart to help ex-racehorses.

If you asked Penny Chenery what she thought of Ms. Diaz, I'm sure you'd get a glowing report.

That's because Ms. Diaz paid to rescue Straight Flush (a horse born into Chenery's barn and the son of Secretariat's stablemate Riva Ridge) from a muddy feedlot in Texas on his way to the slaughterhouse. He was 24 then, Ms. Diaz gave him to Neal Arave where he lived comfortably until he was 32. Which is very long life for a horse that didn't have much pampering in his life. :)

From what I've read, Ms. Diaz has, over the years, has coordinated the resuce of many other ex racehorses, including Letthebighossroll.

Sometimes, the good people do outweighs the bad they do........at least, we must consider them in whole, I think. In the heart's value, I'd bet that a lot of people aren't in Ms. Diaz "league". :)

I think she meant in terms of writing. I would bet Andy never rescued a racehorse. I would also bet he was never a plagiarist.

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2010, 11:30 AM
"Still" as in people STILL appear to be holding personal grudges about the previously referenced incident some 15 years after the fact. You didn't get that?And here I thought you were referencing the dredging up of the actual subject of your thread...Zenyatta and Beyer...silly me.

joanied
10-11-2010, 02:20 PM

I think I need to backtrack a little from my original post...although I beleive it's a bad thing for a writter to lie about interviews and write things about someone, like Baeza, that are not true, especially to the point of having an award taken away...when I wrote my post, I didn't realize, or didn't think about, Ms. Diaz's work with rescues...for that, I have to commend her...
I agree with Winter T, that Ms. Diaz would be better off devoting all her time to what she does do best...rescue TB's...she probably needs to leave writting articles to someone else...but her work with the rescued horses gives her a 'gold star' in my book:) ...
as for Beyer...I suppose if he'd been apart of any TB horse rescue, we'd know about it...so I assume he does nothing for that part of the industry...but I would hope that he does donate money to many of the rescue organizations...that is something every person in the industry should do.

Dahoss9698
10-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I agree with Winter T.

You should make this your new signature....or at least begin each post with it.

WinterTriangle
10-11-2010, 04:34 PM
You should make this your new signature....or at least begin each post with it.

Nobody here has ever seen Joanied come after any of your posts and whine sarcastically :"you always agree with such-and-such!"

It's great that observations and opinions can be shared here, and that comraderie and friendship can occur between those who share some of the many differing opinions here.

Your opinions and observations are not the only valid ones.

I submit there is a reason that Joanied doesn't write replies after your posts like the one you just wrote to her.

It appears that she is not at all threatened by, and does not begrudge others, for having different opinions than her own. Nor does she begrudge their comraderie, like-mindedness, agreement, or even friendships.

But it seems to bother you..... certainly enough that you had to post about it. :confused:

eastie
10-11-2010, 07:02 PM
ah yes, the obligatory cheap shot. inevitable from duh hoss

Dahoss9698
10-11-2010, 08:07 PM
ah yes, the obligatory cheap shot. inevitable from duh hoss

Considering you called him a single in the BC, I had to rib you a little. I figured you would take it as such. Guess not. Oh well.

eastie
10-12-2010, 12:45 AM
That race was clearly a prep for Get Stormy. Just means I'm getting double digits in the Breeders Cup.

cj
10-12-2010, 12:46 AM
That race was clearly a prep for Get Stormy. Just means I'm getting double digits in the Breeders Cup.

When the race is over, you will get the same though, zilch. I hope for your sake he doesn't get in.

Dahoss9698
10-12-2010, 12:46 AM

Again, quit while you are behind.

eastie
10-12-2010, 01:23 AM
I can't wait till Goldikova comes to him and he sprints away, as Gio Ponti sucks up for second.

rubicon55
10-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Wow, you missed your calling as a lawyer... seriously good research. Thanks.

KingChas
10-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Scroll down to the Zenyatta working clip.
Take her for a spin yourself..........enjoy the ride. :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/liz-o/zenyatta_b_715478.html

Cardus
10-13-2010, 05:15 PM
This article has "FAUX" written all over it.

Overwriting: "...risking life,limb, and eardrum..."; "...19th nervous breakdown."; "the shrieking and bellowing left the ears ringing for only a few hours."

Straw Man arguments: Where did she get the Alydar/Affirmed and Easy Goer/Sunday Silence detractors/naysayers information? Also, who has suggested an asterisk by her name regarding the Hall of Fame?

Intellectual dishonesty: If your premise is that Zenyatta's legacy cannot be measured "in the times of her races", then don't mention that she ran her last 1/16th in 5.7 seconds. The last 1/16th counts, but not the final time? (There's no need to debate her running style vs. final race times. I get it.)

Cardus
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM
And what is more "faux" than using "sans bulletproof vest"?

(And if Beyer didn't have his bulletproof vest in Inglewood, all that tells me is that he didn't consult with Miesque prior to his trip.)

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2010, 11:41 PM
And what is more "faux" than using "sans bulletproof vest"?

(And if Beyer didn't have his bulletproof vest in Inglewood, all that tells me is that he didn't consult with Miesque prior to his trip.)You're good.