PDA

View Full Version : Gio Ponti - Going in the BC Turf Mile?

GatetoWire
10-09-2010, 11:09 PM
What do you guys make of this?

Does Clement think that he will have a better shot beating Goldikova than Workforce or Fame and Glory?

I have always thought that Gio Ponti was very strong at a 1 1/2 mile. I was surprised to see him in the Shadwell Turf Mile today and then hear that he is pointing for the Turf Mile?

Stillriledup
10-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I would imagine he'll be in the mile and a half turf race, the purse is much bigger in that race and there will be a much shorter field i'm guessing.

Robert Fischer
10-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Mile.

I would like to see him in a top class mile at woodbine, with the nice stretch that they have.

The higher class of mile - the better chance he has, provided the pace would get wild enough entering the stretch. It's his best chance at having any punch at a distance, if he even has that anywhere. classy and solid

Dahoss9698
10-10-2010, 12:41 AM
I would imagine he'll be in the mile and a half turf race, the purse is much bigger in that race and there will be a much shorter field i'm guessing.

He's going in the mile, hence the start today. IMO he's not a 12 furlong horse. He's more like a 10 furlong horse, but his mile races for the most part have been very strong and his late kick is perfect for the mile.

I don't think he's good enough to beat Goldikova, but he'll run his race, that's for sure.

PhantomOnTour
10-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Definitely the Turf Mile. Goldikova will be facing a serious group this time, esp if Proviso shows up along with Gio Ponti. I know she beat Proviso last year in France but the latter has been on a roll.
Always a great race.

depalma113
10-10-2010, 09:15 AM
He will be cross entered in both the Mile and Classic. I think he will end up in the Classic. He's won from a mile to a mile and a half on turf, there's nothing left to gain for breeding purposes there.

A Classic win makes him far more valuable in the shed. A loss is of no consequence.

FenceBored
10-10-2010, 09:57 AM
He will be cross entered in both the Mile and Classic. I think he will end up in the Classic. He's won from a mile to a mile and a half on turf, there's nothing left to gain for breeding purposes there.

A Classic win makes him far more valuable in the shed. A loss is of no consequence.

He has never won at a mile and a half. The only time he tried he was beaten by a rerallying Interpretation.

depalma113
10-10-2010, 10:08 AM
You're right, I was thinking the Man O War was a mile and a half.

Regardless, since he is not being pointed to the Turf Classic at all, a win at a mile over Goldikova is not going to mean near as much as a win on dirt in the Classic.

jballscalls
10-10-2010, 10:14 AM
he seems to hang a little bit in the long races on occasion, maybe the mile is more suitable for his best game. I mean he was never even asked for his best yesterday and made it look easy.

PhantomOnTour
10-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Watching the Shadwell replay this morning from the ESPN coverage. Bailey interviews Ramon after Gio's win and asks him, "A mile or a mile & a quarter?"...referring to his preference in the BC. Ramon kinda declines to say and then Bailey really presses him, "C'mon, they're going to make their own minds up. What do you think?" Ramon very reluctantly says, "A mile & a quarter." Bailey turns away and Ramon and Gio ride off...did anyone notice the loooooong lookback that Ramon gave to Bailey? Seemed a bit miffed that Bailey pressed him on the BC question.

Dahoss9698
10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Regardless, since he is not being pointed to the Turf Classic at all, a win at a mile over Goldikova is not going to mean near as much as a win on dirt in the Classic.

While I understand the thought behind a possible start in Classic, he has no chance in the race. Zero. But, that is the game today. It's all about breeding. Ironically, he already finished second in the Classic, right? I guess breeders don't view races on synthetics in the same light as those on dirt. Interesting.