PDA

View Full Version : Fire Fox is getting old, too

Tom
10-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Boy, FF is really becoming a PITA!
I just had to disable another of their stupid plug-ins that was virtually stopping my computer. This one was plug in:container.exe. With is enabled, watching video races was about impossible, with a pause every 3-5 seconds, and the computer in general was about as fast as molasses.
With it off, things are back humming.

What is the deal with theses days? IE is looking better and better.

Indulto
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I just had to disable another of their stupid plug-ins that was virtually stopping my computer. This one was plug in:container.exe. With is enabled, watching video races was about impossible, with a pause every 3-5 seconds, and the computer in general was about as fast as molasses.

What is the deal with theses days? IE is looking better and better.FF runs much better than IE on my old win2k backup machine, but now it crashes regularly at this website. On that machine IE keeps getting hung up on the scripts here. Interaction at PA has also slowed down on my Vista laptop, but never crashes. Does it have anything to do with the ads? Is there a setting that needs to be changed?

MONEY
10-09-2010, 05:56 PM
In my case IE crashes every time I visit Paceadvantage:confused: & Firefox does not work whenever I click on new posts.:(

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Weird...I have no problem running either IE or Chrome here on both a Win7 and XP box.

Tom
10-09-2010, 06:38 PM
FF was acting up a bit on PA, like shaking screen, moving around, but it stopped after I ran a full clean with AVG and SuperAntiSPyware, plus Crap Cleaner, plus gettingrid of container.exe.

Fine now.

wilderness
10-09-2010, 07:49 PM
FF ver 3.anything is the poorest of all versions.
I've constant problems (using 3.6) (I refuse to upgrade to another 3.anything version when there have been so many issues with the previous 3.versions) with sites not opening at all and actually hanging in the request. After the request fails, I'm required to hit refresh and the site opens instantly.

Perhaps when 4.0 gets out of Beta, the bugs will be removed.

Most plug-ins are not affiliated with FF itself, rather they are created independently.
Before anybody ties their panties into a knot, I do realize that FF is open source and its development is a combined effort by many, many people.

judd
10-09-2010, 08:00 PM
google chrome way to go :ThmbUp:

wilderness
10-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Many thanks.

Google is the only search engine I use.

Their email addys (although and basically in server capacity only; no storage) are my primary emails.

Those two provide far more data to google than I desire.

I'm not willing to use a browser or any other software created for and/or managed by google that would expand their monitoring capabilities.

bigmack
10-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm not willing to use a browser or any other software created for and/or managed by google that would expand their monitoring capabilities.
Don't look now but there's a black helicopter with a monkey in a trench coat outside your door.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/boo.gif

wilderness
10-09-2010, 10:32 PM
"If you doubt" what I've provided?

Than you have bigger issues than anybody in any forum I've participated in.

Please take some more lithium ;)

Canarsie
10-10-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm an old guy but Don is right Google does know lots. They can track me till the day I die really don't care. But if I was in my 20's would be extremely cautious of FB and Google neither one is your friend. An anonymous browser would be mandatory for surfing the web.

Having said that my credit card company knows I have accounts with DRF, Brisnet, and others. Wonder how much that affects my score?

Robert Goren
10-10-2010, 10:52 AM

What is the deal with theses days? IE is looking better and better.Several years ago a computer tech at work talk me into installing fire fox. It took me about 5 minutes to realize that it was a big mistake. I made him take it off. It could be ok for computer nerds, but for the rest of us..... IE has some issues but for the average user it is fine. I really leary of all things google although I am sometime forced to use their search to find what I want. Once you use it to find a retail site, you will see ads for that site for ever.

headhawg
10-10-2010, 11:08 AM
I can't believe that people would actually choose to use IE but to each his own. I have been using FF for several years now and something significantly better (which Chrome is not) would have to be released before I would switch.

That said I would have to agree with Don that v3.x has been problematic, and I'm pretty sure that it has to do with plug-ins (and plugin-container.exe).

lsosa54
10-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I can second that using IE 8 and Firefox 3.6.10. Also works fine on an XP virtual machine that I run within Windows 7 so I can run my AOdds software, as it's installer won't work on Win 7 64 bit.

Works very well also on IE 9 Beta 64-bit, which I'm using to type this. Don't know if IE 9 Beta will be any good, but it's the best IE that I've used - pretty darn quick. We'll have to see about security issues and if any decent add-ons are developed when it comes out of beta.

Firefox is my browser of choice and has been for a long time. I have 18 working "add-ons" currently and all work without a hitch. I use Moz Backup to save my current profile and it's very easy to load it on different machines.

When I had my Asus Win XP netbook, Firefox with add-ons was a lifesaver in terms of maxing out available screen real estate, which wasn't much on a 10.1" screen.

Weird...I have no problem running either IE or Chrome here on both a Win7 and XP box.

Tom
10-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Looks like IE9 will not run on XP or any other OS other than 7 or Vista.
That settles that.

redshift1
10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Looks like IE9 will not run on XP or any other OS other than 7 or Vista.
That settles that.

Try the new Apple computers for a change of pace, they run Windows as well.

judd
10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Try the new Apple computers for a change of pace, they run Windows as well.
i have friends who love the apple :ThmbUp: