PDA

View Full Version : Anybody bet TWO dollar supers?

Stillriledup
10-09-2010, 02:22 PM
When You go to the SAM machine, A live teller, a Phone account or the internet, do you start you wager by saying or punching "i'll have a two dollar super part wheel....."

Just watching Keeneland and they post the 2 dollar super price. I know that psychologically, it looks good because a 2 dollar super pays more than a 10 cent super, but cmon, people aren't betting 2 dollar super part wheels.

If you want to make it 'look good' and be deceptive, why not just post a 10 dollar super price (and then in the corner, post the dime price).

Zippy Chippy
10-09-2010, 02:27 PM
When You go to the SAM machine, A live teller, a Phone account or the internet, do you start you wager by saying or punching "i'll have a two dollar super part wheel....."

Just watching Keeneland and they post the 2 dollar super price. I know that psychologically, it looks good because a 2 dollar super pays more than a 10 cent super, but cmon, people aren't betting 2 dollar super part wheels.

If you want to make it 'look good' and be deceptive, why not just post a 10 dollar super price (and then in the corner, post the dime price).

If there is a $2 winner they should post the price possibly. I saw a $2 super pay 180k. The base was .10. Its obvious there were a bunch of .10 winners but to the average Joe that sees the payoff they are definitely thinking, wow, someone just won $180k. Definitely a way to make it look good.

GameTheory
10-09-2010, 03:55 PM
They should post ALL prices with a $2 base everywhere just for the sake of standardization.

skate
10-09-2010, 04:04 PM
welpers

when you're that high, i figure it doesn't matter what the taxi fare is...huh?

Stillriledup
10-09-2010, 05:24 PM
If there is a $2 winner they should post the price possibly. I saw a $2 super pay 180k. The base was .10. Its obvious there were a bunch of .10 winners but to the average Joe that sees the payoff they are definitely thinking, wow, someone just won $180k. Definitely a way to make it look good.

But why 2 dollars?

I mean, that's TWENTY times the base amount.

Like i said, why not just post the 10 dollar payout, that way, we can routinely see boxcar payoffs.

OTM Al
10-09-2010, 06:18 PM
The base amount is $2 or $1 depending on venue. Base does not mean lowest in this usage. Our number system is base 10 which clearly does not mean the smallest possible amount is ten.

therussmeister
10-09-2010, 09:03 PM
They should post ALL prices with a $2 base everywhere just for the sake of standardization.

They should post ALL prices with a $1 base everywhere just for the sake of standardization.

And that is part of the problem, we can't agree on it.

horses4courses
10-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I, like countless other race players, would love to see uniformity among all tracks when displaying payoffs.

Whether it's $1 or $2 makes little difference to me, but all tracks being on the same page would be revolutionary.

Changing gear slightly, it constantly baffles me why a bettor would play a $2 ticket on any potentially high paying exotic, when smaller denominations are available.
The sense in doing this is strictly due to IRS witholding - if you have a chance to steer around it, why not avoid paying Uncle Sam?

Split your tickets into lower denominations, and save yourself some money!

GameTheory
10-09-2010, 09:58 PM
They should post ALL prices with a $1 base everywhere just for the sake of standardization.

And that is part of the problem, we can't agree on it.I would agree with that, but it'd be a tough transition because WPS has been $2 for a hundred years. I could even go $2 for WPS and $1 for everything else. But all tracks the same all the time please.

DaylightDies
10-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I would agree with that, but it'd be a tough transition because WPS has been $2 for a hundred years. I could even go $2 for WPS and $1 for everything else. But all tracks the same all the time please.

There ya go.

One thing I really hate is winning a dollar tri and then dividing it in half. I know its all psychological, but its like, damn, what could have been!

WinterTriangle
10-09-2010, 11:32 PM
But why 2 dollars?

If they post $2 exacta and tri payouts, then they wouldn't change the base for superfectas. Twinspires posts based on $1 wagers and 0.10 superfectas.

It does drive me nuts to have to multiply or divide out depending on whether I'm looking on twinspires, brisnet, equibase, etc. as they all have a diff. format.

JohnGalt1
10-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Yes I did.

When Calder first offered supers it was $2 minimum. In a rare race I narrowed it down to a box of 4 horses for a cost of $24. It won but didn't pay much.

I usually don't play supers or pick 4's if the cost is much more than $30, so I could never play another $2 super.

takeout
10-10-2010, 08:26 AM
It would've been $48 wouldn't it?

JohnGalt1
10-10-2010, 08:59 AM
It would've been $48 wouldn't it?

You are right. And if I remember, I was paid even money.

One of the dumb bets I've made that at least didn't have bad result.

takeout
10-10-2010, 09:35 AM
If you want to make it 'look good' and be deceptive, why not just post a 10 dollar super priceAgree. They're already lying to the public so why stop at the $2 payoff.
I’ve been crying foul about this for years. It’s out and out deception and a damn lie. I would love to see some type of action brought against tracks that do this.

Stillriledup
10-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Agree. They're already lying to the public so why stop at the $2 payoff.
I’ve been crying foul about this for years. It’s out and out deception and a damn lie. I would love to see some type of action brought against tracks that do this.

Posting of a 2 dollar super price is like WOW! than, "oh :-("

People who hit a super for 10 cents get briefly excited when they see the price, only to realize they got 100 dollars instead of 2000.

Its evil and has to stop.

takeout
10-10-2010, 10:00 AM
One of the dumb bets I've made that at least didn't have bad result.I know the feeling! :)

GameTheory
10-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Agree. They're already lying to the public so why stop at the $2 payoff.
I’ve been crying foul about this for years. It’s out and out deception and a damn lie. I would love to see some type of action brought against tracks that do this.This is a highly regulated business. How they report the payoffs are likely prescribed by law, aren't they? All that happened was that in recent years the minimum has been lowered in some places. But that doesn't make the new minimum the "base amount" -- that remains unchanged. (To think that they are doing it just to be deceptive is a bit of stretch when they are just doing what they always did when the minimum amount was higher.) I mean I can bet $1 to win if I want to at most places (on-track if not online), but they still report the payoff for $2 same as always. I don't see anything to get worked up amount as long as the base amount is clear (changing it all the time would make it unclear). The far bigger problem is different tracks reporting exotics for different base amounts. Looking at an exacta grid is often useless because it doesn't tell you what base amount is for the payoffs listed at that particular track.

takeout
10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Its evil and has to stop.Agree totally. Here’s one from CT last night that was announced as 4 times more than what was in the pool. They even put the fictitious $2 payoff in the chart. At least with the chart you can look up at the top and see what the pool really was and that you were lied to x4.

Damn that's sleazy. It speaks volumes that tracks don't see a thing wrong with this.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant_pdf.cgi?type=inc&country=USA&track=CT&date=2010-10-09&race=7

takeout
10-10-2010, 11:26 AM
(To think that they are doing it just to be deceptive is a bit of stretch when they are just doing what they always did when the minimum amount was higher.)I don’t know if it’s law or not. If it is it doesn’t strike me as a good one. :)

It’s deceptive when they announce more than what they know is in the pool. To me that’s lying. In the case of that CT super there was only one winning fifty-cent ticket and it took the whole pool of $5,139. Would it kill them to just be honest and say that?

GameTheory
10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
They are not being dishonest, just do the math. They have to be consistent. If you want it to change, even if it not a state law (which it likely is), then it is a by-law of some such entity that would still have to be voted on, etc etc. Find out what body that is and go lobby them. They can't just make it up as they go along because you don't like high prices announced on small pools. I don't want them to randomly change the rules willy-nilly just so it doesn't hurt your feelings.

takeout
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't want them to randomly change the rules willy-nilly
Oh I'm sure they would NEVER do anything like that. :) I have the utmost confidence that they will continue to misrepresent the pool sizes at every opportunity.

Stillriledup
10-10-2010, 09:29 PM
They are not being dishonest, just do the math. They have to be consistent. If you want it to change, even if it not a state law (which it likely is), then it is a by-law of some such entity that would still have to be voted on, etc etc. Find out what body that is and go lobby them. They can't just make it up as they go along because you don't like high prices announced on small pools. I don't want them to randomly change the rules willy-nilly just so it doesn't hurt your feelings.

Rules? Its got nothing to do with rules, this is the graphics department, they can post the prices whatever way they want.

samyn on the green
10-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't see why this is so confusing for some. The $2 pay quote is a standard rate and everything is displayed as a $2 payout at most big tracks. Professionals operate on a standardized system like this. That way when you call results hotlines you know every thing is in $2 and you don't have 4 different rates being quoted for the $2 pick six, $2 win, $1 ex or $.50 trifecta and $.10 super. Every thing is $2 and it works great. Same way in a deli everything is quoted by the pound and horse shit is sold by the ton. No special price quotes for those that are math challenged and want to buy 5 lbs of horse shit for their lone tomato plant.

Dahoss9698
10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I don't see why this is so confusing for some

I don't either. Frankly, who cares? There were 8 grade 1's run over the weekend and people are worrying about how tracks show superfecta payouts. :bang:

horses4courses
10-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't either. Frankly, who cares? There were 8 grade 1's run over the weekend and people are worrying about how tracks show superfecta payouts. :bang:

I agree completely.
There is no point in discussing this issue until racing is under the control of a national organization. Until then, and that day will likely never happen, tracks will always be doing their own thing with little regard for other venues.

samyn on the green
10-11-2010, 12:07 AM
If some new governing body was to man the yoke of racing I hope everything would be quoted in $2 payouts at every track every time. Anything else would be super confusing. I agree completely.
There is no point in discussing this issue until racing is under the control of a national organization. Until then, and that day will likely never happen, tracks will always be doing their own thing with little regard for other venues.

takeout
10-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I still think it’s dishonest to announce or show a payoff that reflects more than is actually in a pool. In those situations I think they’re lying to public. That’s a sleazy practice, intentional or not.

BlueShoe
10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Have never ever keyed in a $2 super at the SAM, and very rarely enter a $1 one unless that is the track minimum. Have a strong adversion to paying taxes when I can legally avoid doing so. Also, in a race that is widely spread with many combinations, even a $1 base bet can get costly, and may not care to invest much unless have a strong opinion. The dime bet takes care of both these situations, it does not take long to hit the repeat key as many times as you wish.