PDA

View Full Version : Long range weather -Lexington

joanied
10-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Just for the heck of it, I looked up the long range weather for Breeders Cup Day...we farm, and have used these reports to try and plan things, and they are generally fairly accurate...so, I am not sure I like what I see...
thought some would be interested in this...

For the Lexington area:
OCTOBER 2010: temperature 55.5° (0.5° below avg.); precipitation 2.5" (avg.); Oct 1-6: Showers, then sunny, cool; Oct 7-12: Rain, then sunny, warm; Oct 13-20: T-storms, then sunny, chilly; Oct 21-29: Rain and snow showers, then sunny, warm; Oct 30-31: Showers, warm.

NOVEMBER 2010: temperature 44 ° (1 ° below avg.); precipitation 2.5" (1" below avg.); Nov 1-4: Rain, then sunny, cold; Nov 5-8: Rain, then sunny, cold; Nov 9-13: Rain, then sunny, cold; Nov 14-20: Rainy periods, mild; Nov 21-30: Snow showers, cold.

and another one, that is concerned with dry/wet weather only in the lexington area;

http://www.dryday.com/united-states/kentucky/fayette-county/lexington-fayette-30-day-weather-forecast.gif

On the above chart...yellow are dry days, black are risky days & grey are transition days...note Nov 5th & 6th.

rgustafson
10-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I know that Lexington and Louisville are only about 75 miles apart, so is the weather always the same?

Dahoss9698
10-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Any idea what the weather is going to be like for the Derby next year?

Robert Fischer
10-08-2010, 08:50 PM
I know that Lexington and Louisville are only about 75 miles apart, so is the weather always the same?
Louisville is in the "yellow"

Shelby
10-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Just for the heck of it, I looked up the long range weather for Breeders Cup Day...we farm, and have used these reports to try and plan things, and they are generally fairly accurate...so, I am not sure I like what I see...
thought some would be interested in this...

For the Lexington area:
OCTOBER 2010: temperature 55.5° (0.5° below avg.); precipitation 2.5" (avg.); Oct 1-6: Showers, then sunny, cool; Oct 7-12: Rain, then sunny, warm; Oct 13-20: T-storms, then sunny, chilly; Oct 21-29: Rain and snow showers, then sunny, warm; Oct 30-31: Showers, warm.

NOVEMBER 2010: temperature 44 ° (1 ° below avg.); precipitation 2.5" (1" below avg.); Nov 1-4: Rain, then sunny, cold; Nov 5-8: Rain, then sunny, cold; Nov 9-13: Rain, then sunny, cold; Nov 14-20: Rainy periods, mild; Nov 21-30: Snow showers, cold.

and another one, that is concerned with dry/wet weather only in the lexington area;

http://www.dryday.com/united-states/kentucky/fayette-county/lexington-fayette-30-day-weather-forecast.gif

On the above chart...yellow are dry days, black are risky days & grey are transition days...note Nov 5th & 6th.

Thank you, Joanie. We have two farms here in Kansas. Looking at the long range forecasts help a lot. At times, they are off by a day or so, but, especially in the fall/winter months, they are spot on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a rainy/damp BC.

redshift1
10-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Well I'm hoping for good weather and I like to see the BC at different tracks but I support the Cup being held in locations that are dry in November as the racing is more form-full.

tholl
10-08-2010, 11:40 PM
For the Lexington area:
OCTOBER 2010: temperature 55.5° (0.5° below avg.); precipitation 2.5" (avg.); Oct 1-6: Showers, then sunny, cool; Oct 7-12: Rain, then sunny, warm; Oct 13-20: T-storms, then sunny, chilly;

Is right about it being cool Oct 1-6 and warm 7-12. But wrong about the rain. Has been no rain so far this month and there is just a small chance of rain on Tuesday 12th. So who knows?

joanied
10-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey guys...Boy, did I make a mistake:blush: ...I meant to post about the Louisville weather...sorry about that...but here it is below...better than the one for Lexington:bang:
Shelby...yep, you understand about weather, having farms too...no one can predict exactly what kind of weather we'll have, but these long range forcasts are usually pretty accurate. Where we live, in the Big Horn Basin of WY., we have our own weather patters, but still, we've found the long range will give us a good idea of what to expect.
I like what I see on the chart below...looks like it should be dry for the BC...we don't care about sunny or temperatures...just want a dry track:ThmbUp:

Yellow are dry days:jump:

http://www.dryday.com/united-states/kentucky/jefferson-county/louisville-30-day-weather-forecast.gif

WinterTriangle
10-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Thank you, Joanie. We have two farms here in Kansas. Looking at the long range forecasts help a lot.

I forwarded Joanie's report to a farmer friend in Nebraska. He plays contests on one of my other boards and always wins...what is it about you farmers anyway? :D

He said they use the long terms as well, not sure what service he uses though. Said considering how far out they are, are pretty accurate.

Same theory as Farmer's Almanac, which has been in continuous use since 1818, making long range weather and astronomical data, with about an 80-85% accuracy rate :jump:

Their climatic zone stuff is great, and we use it for our gardens.