PDA

View Full Version : Show Parlay ?

douglasw32
10-08-2010, 06:30 PM
What is the opinions out there.

Maybe a Win or Place parlay..

Partial Parlay ?

Looking for a cheap fun , weekend warrior way of playing.

woodtoo
10-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Been successful with show parlays lately,just not worth betting chalk :ThmbUp:

therussmeister
10-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I favor a partial show parlay. I look for a minimum of $3.00. I do this by using BRIS supertote, and choosing the option of displaying the wps pools as percentages and only betting if I think my horse will have no more than 15% of the show pool bet on it. 15% will almost always get you a minimum of $3.00, even with a successful bridge-jumper. Thank you net-pool pricing!

I give the profits to charity.

Rise Over Run
10-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I give the profits to charity.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jldonah
10-08-2010, 10:15 PM
As a beginner, I think show bets in general tend to upset my wagering mindset. If I think a favorite is going to be out of the money, isn't it better to bet the big overlay, or dutch the likely two or three contenders, than to try to string one moderately big show win to other show bets?

On the other hand, I recently played a longshot across the board because his odds made me temper my estimate of his probability of winning. It turns out he did win, but I would have come out ahead (in this case) had he only shown.

I do not have the psychological wherewithal to say for one race "this bet comes out of my win bet bankroll" and two races later say "now I continue my show partial parlay from last Saturday." My goal is to achieve the consistency and discipline to do so. Till I get there I will have to play conservatively when that seems appropriate, and swing for the fences when the insight seems to be genuine.

Robert Fischer
10-08-2010, 10:34 PM
As a beginner, I think show bets in general tend to upset my wagering mindset. If I think a favorite is going to be out of the money, isn't it better to bet the big overlay, or dutch the likely two or three contenders, than to try to string one moderately big show win to other show bets?

On the other hand, I recently played a longshot across the board because his odds made me temper my estimate of his probability of winning. It turns out he did win, but I would have come out ahead (in this case) had he only shown.

I do not have the psychological wherewithal to say for one race "this bet comes out of my win bet bankroll" and two races later say "now I continue my show partial parlay from last Saturday." My goal is to achieve the consistency and discipline to do so. Till I get there I will have to play conservatively when that seems appropriate, and swing for the fences when the insight seems to be genuine.

good post.

when i started out,
a lot of players would say to show betting - "don't do it!" :eek:

i used it in situations where I had the best horse in the race at good odds.
I felt that I didn't need to rely on getting a fair trip - the horse was good enough that there was a high% to finish in the top three.
It fits a smaller bankroll well because of the higher percentage. Yes, I played win, show, and ex. but show was part of the repertoire

with the parlay... it's kind of a "compromise" parlay
if you are on, you can triple your starting funds about 1/3 of the time.
not a real "crazy" thing with the big returns of a win parlay, but it can give you a low-risk sort of gamble

lamboguy
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM

I do not have the psychological wherewithal to say for one race "this bet comes out of my win bet bankroll" and two races later say "now I continue my show partial parlay from last Saturday." My goal is to achieve the consistency and discipline to do so. Till I get there I will have to play conservatively when that seems appropriate, and swing for the fences when the insight seems to be genuine.my advice to you is to formulate your very own plan and stick with it. don't listen to someone else tell you that this is either a good bet or a bad one

Pensacola Pete
10-09-2010, 01:30 AM
If you're out to have fun, show betting will limit your losses. What isn't good for a pro might be just the ticket (pardon the pun) for somebody out for a good time.

Actor
10-09-2010, 04:58 AM
If you're out to have fun, show betting will limit your losses.Actually, I don't think it will limit your losses. It will increase them. But it will cut down on the length of losing streaks. The fun better might be happier to have cashed at least one ticket out of nine, even if it was for only $2.40.

fmolf
10-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Whenever i go to the track with friends who are not serious players,I always start a show pool parlay.It is a lot of fun.I take 10 or 20 dollars a person then I start by letting the woman pick first.Mary chooses a horse in the 1st,Jane chooses a horse in the 2nd.Bob in the 3rd etc...etc... always keeping $10 to the side for a loss to start again.once with a 6 person rotation we ended with over $700...due in large part to the last bet from one of the ladieswho was a novice.picked a big longshot that payedabout $20 to show!Lots of fun everyone in the group selects a horse and everybody roots for the same horse to show.Also a good way to initiate newplayers to the game for a low risk and small amt. of money!

misscashalot
10-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Actually, I don't think it will limit your losses. It will increase them. .....
:ThmbUp:

Sham
10-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I recall an article written by Dick Schmidt in the Follow-Up about a show parlay method called the "piggyback parlay". Don't remember the mechanics, but I believe it took profits as the series went along.

It would take me hours of digging through boxes in my attic to find it, maybe Dick or one of the Sartin faithful will chime in.

Jay Trotter
10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Doug,

If this is an area of interest I would encourage you to drop by the Ultimate Parlay Challenge forum -- We just started a new contest.

Link here: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75735

This contest is all about the Parlay format of wagering -- Players can switch up their bets anyway they wish using Win, Place or Show wagers.

We've experienced some amazing runs with the record number of plays at 21 (mostly Show wagers) and the record earnings for one contest at $865.00 (using a mix of plays).

The contest truly is a way to hone your game looking for spot plays to string together. Once you get to a Parlay of 3 plays you can choose to continue the Parlay (Let It Ride) or Bank (Lock in your Profits).

Trotter:ThmbUp:

What is the opinions out there.

Maybe a Win or Place parlay..

Partial Parlay ?

Looking for a cheap fun , weekend warrior way of playing.

Light
10-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I take 10 or 20 dollars .... ended with over $700..

Good back up. Can turn a losing day with good handicapping but bad luck into a winning day.

andymays
10-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Parlyays are great and can be a lot of fun. In California they used to take up to 6 horse parlays. Now you have to parlay the money yourself and when it gets big it can be difficult to complete the last wager. When they had parlay cards you couldn't stop the bet.

cj's dad
10-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Been to the Toga Party for the last several years now and all of us (are supposedly)expert h'cappers and we have yet to cash a ticket !!

Tough nut to crack !!