PDA

View Full Version : Who was better, Zenyatta or Secretariat?

chickenhead
10-08-2010, 04:51 PM
OK, now that you're here (and in a surly frame of mind, to boot) -- if you ignore whatever feelings of rage putting the two together in a Youtube video might have riled up, this is actually a fantastic marketing commercial for the BCC.

HX7AZlVVBb4

tzipi
10-08-2010, 05:33 PM
I almost just passed out from reading that comparison on the main page :lol:

Jasonm921
10-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Please don't put them in the same sentence. She is a nice mare....he is Secretariat.

cpitt84
10-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Liked the video. It depends on the BCC this November. If she beats the best males,again, I would have to say she's up there. They are both different and ran in different ways. Since Zenyatta is a closer and doesn't win by much, she is automatically casted, by many, to simply be nice or good.

Good "for a mare."

It's her personality not to beat the other horses by much. She's a thoughtful gal! :D

chickenhead
10-08-2010, 06:00 PM
(the title was a joke)

It's really Zenyatta vs the Secretariat movie. I haven't seen it yet, but she's probably better than the movie...

BluegrassProf
10-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Liked the video. It depends on the BCC this November. If she beats the best males,again, I would have to say she's up there. Hey, at least you make no excuses for your perfectly clear opinion.

Kinda like a kindergartener. Gotta luv it. :):ThmbUp:

cpitt84
10-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Hey, at least you make no excuses for your perfectly clear opinion.

Kinda like a kindergartener. Gotta luv it. :):ThmbUp:

I know the deal around here. You make a statement that sounds ridiculous and people are beside themselves. They don't know how to handle it.

Sad, really.

tzipi
10-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Since Zenyatta is a closer and doesn't win by much, she is automatically casted, by many, to simply be nice or good.

I don't think its the winning margins of her races people judge her by. It's the competition 95% of the time. But as I've always said on here, the girl does what's asked of her.

Stillriledup
10-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Oh no you didnt. :eek:

Horseplayersbet.com
10-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Shouldn't we be debating who was greater, Secretariat or Rachel Alexandra :lol:

tzipi
10-08-2010, 07:25 PM

I don't think I ever saw anyone saying RA was better than Secretariat but if you show me a post(search engine), then I'll totally agree with your post.

ManeMediaMogul
10-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Obviously, you never saw Secretariat.

chickenhead
10-08-2010, 10:35 PM

it only just opened.

Stillriledup
10-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Yes.

MNslappy
10-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I <3 this thread. :D

Shelby
10-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Uhhhhh.....um.....oh.......what am I doing on this thread :faint:

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2010, 10:36 PM
OK, now that you're here (and in a surly frame of mind, to boot) -- if you ignore whatever feelings of rage putting the two together in a Youtube video might have riled up, this is actually a fantastic marketing commercial for the BCC.

HX7AZlVVBb4I like it. It takes a little while to get there, but I like it...

Gets people pumped for the big day. I know I can't wait to see her run...finally, I get to see her strut her stuff against horses who actually matter.

Investorater
10-10-2010, 01:28 AM
.....not to mention, though I will, a dirt surface.

WillA
10-10-2010, 02:25 AM
If Zenyatta wins the Breeder's Cup Classic again I'll go with her. Secretariat's Belmont was incredible. But he threw in some clunkers too. There is something to be said for perfection. And as for Zenyatta only beating males once... She beat the best males in the world the only time she faced them. No one asks if Secretariat ever beat the best females... He was good but not great when he faced older horses. And he didn't race past the age of three. Who knows what he would have been like at four. As Rachel Alexandra demonstrates horses don't always retain their form from age three to four.

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2010, 02:37 AM
If Zenyatta wins the Breeder's Cup Classic again I'll go with her.Have fun with that.

If you had a gun to your head, and you knew for a fact that both Zenyatta and Secretariat would be performing at their PEAK - very best level, who would you pick in a full field of horses with an honest pace going a mile and a quarter?

Zenyatta or Secretariat?

Remember, your life depends on you being correct.

My guess is you'll pick Big Red every single time. I feel kind of icky just writing this reply actually.

letswastemoney
10-10-2010, 02:41 AM
If Zenyatta wins the Breeder's Cup Classic again I'll go with her. Secretariat's Belmont was incredible. But he threw in some clunkers too. There is something to be said for perfection. And as for Zenyatta only beating males once... She beat the best males in the world the only time she faced them. No one asks if Secretariat ever beat the best females... He was good but not great when he faced older horses. And he didn't race past the age of three. Who knows what he would have been like at four. As Rachel Alexandra demonstrates horses don't always retain their form from age three to four.
Why the hell would anyone ask if Secretariat was beating the best females...

tucker6
10-10-2010, 05:28 AM
[QUOTE]Secretariat's Belmont was incredible. But he threw in some clunkers too.

I'm not going to bother looking it up, but I highly doubt Zenyatta ever performed at the level of Secretariat, even on the days you call "clunkers"

There is something to be said for perfection.

Like what exactly?? So, if I beat a five year old 100 times in a row at basketball, there's something to be said for that?? I guess there is. It might mean I was running from the competition.

And as for Zenyatta only beating males once... She beat the best males in the world the only time she faced them.

Except for the most ardent Zenyatta supporters, no one else is saying that she faced the best in the world. That was a weak group on an alien surface.

No one asks if Secretariat ever beat the best females...

Are you the five year old I played basketball with??

He was good but not great when he faced older horses.
You're right. He only set the world record for 9F the first time he faced older horses in what is arguably considered the greatest field ever assembled for a race.

And he didn't race past the age of three. Who knows what he would have been like at four. As Rachel Alexandra demonstrates horses don't always retain their form from age three to four

and some get better, like The Bid. You have no point here. Overall, I am thankful this Sunday morning that you've only posted 19 times here. I am already counting my blessings.

DeanT
10-10-2010, 09:32 AM
I thought they did a good job with this in regards to whom they were speaking to (the casual fan, TV watcher). For players like us it might make us cringe, but we are going to be watching anyway.

The BC does some very good things, imo. One of the few organizations that throws some cash and new ideas into their event to try and build it.

Tom
10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
No one asks if Secretariat ever beat the best females...

He had them covered.

tzipi
10-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Imagine Laurin took an easy route. Easily undefeated. Are we serious about this? Zen ran a great BCC, but best males?? They were mostly turf horses running on a polyturf surface. Why isn't Gio Ponti entered in the BCC classic dirt this year? Look at all the turf horses entered last year. It was not a dirt classic. Let's not question Secretariat and make a case for Zen. Geez c'mon.

What was Secretariats clunkers? A DQ in the Champagne while pulling away by 2? Running a race with a fever or a maiden loss in which he closed like a freak while being impeded?

JustRalph
10-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Amen! Hell, go over to Youtube..........watch the Preakness and the Belmont

I was only 13 yrs old and I watched my Dad jump up and down in the living room.......he almost came to tears........... I don't see anybody crying over a horse race nowadays

btw, I do realize the thread was started as a joke

appistappis
10-11-2010, 12:38 AM
yeah and jenny jones is better than johnny carson.