PDA

View Full Version : Which Triple Crown chance did you actually root for since 1996-Forward?

Zippy Chippy
10-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I think the only one i actually wanted to win was Smarty Jones. THe triple crown is so hallowed that you only want the very elite and best ever to be a part of.

Silver Charm - I wasn't convinced he was the best horse
Real Quiet - I don't know why but I didn't really care for him. Great horse tho.
Charasmatic - I actually wanted him to win, but didn't care that much.
War Emblem - Obviously defintely did not want him to win
Funny Cide - I know everyone loves Funny Cide, but there was no way he was better than E.M.
Smarty - Obviously would have been a career fan highlight if he won!
Big Brown - I was so excited for this horse. I went to the race and then i started hearing about what a pompous ass Dutrow was being, and i believe there were steroids rumors, it completely turned me off to the horse and the connections. Even kinda ruined my trip.

Wickel
10-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Was behind Real Quiet all the way. He ran third in the inaugural Indian Nations Futurity at The Downs at Santa Fe as a 2 year old, and he was sort of "our" horse after that. I rooted hard against Smarty Jones and Big Brown. I actually had $5 across the board on Birdstone!

nijinski
10-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Smarty Jones , was myblue collar pick.
Big Brown , with all his hoof problems and missed training I knew he chances were getting slim , but I like Dutrow and I thought racing needed the shot in the arm .Just wasn't to be.

OTM Al
10-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Smarty. I'd had him since January and when Second of June went out I knew he was at least going to win the Derby. He made me some good money.

Phantombridgejumpe
10-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Silver Charm: Mild against (still think the excuses for the loss are terrible)

Real Quiet: Mild against (still think this is about the worst beat ever)

Charismatic: Mild against (Liked Antley but not a Lukas fan)

War Emblem: Solid against (Still don't understand how he won either race)

Funny Cide: Solid against (Those NY people got to be annoying after a while)

Smarty Jones: Heavy For (Loved that he raced at Philly, loved that it was a journeyman jockey, connections seemed humble, very mad he lost)

Big Brown: Solid against (The drug rumors/connections)

Wow - what a downer person I am.

freehouse2002
10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Silver Charm - Was for....just loved the rivalry between SC, Capt. Bodgit, Free House....throw in Touch Gold and it was just a great series that year.
Real Quiet - Pegged him in the Derby, so was definitely for. I, like many others, can't believe he got nipped at the wire.
Charasmatic - I wasn't as excited with him as I was with SC and RQ, but it turned into something memorable due to the injury and the Antmans care for the horse.
War Emblem - Was indifferent with this guy....didn't think he had "it"
Funny Cide - For that year, yes, I would have liked it. Seeing what he became afterwards, he definitely wouldn't have been worthy. The School Bus owners were annoying.
Smarty - I guess because I didn't really follow the horse, but I wasn't too interested.
Big Brown - Never saw the draw with this horse. Leading up to the Belmont, I, like many others, thought for sure he would win as the field was mediocre at best. We all saw what happened. Was kinda glad it did.

freehouse2002

Stillriledup
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I rooted against most of them, especially Big Brown for obvious reasons.

tzipi
10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I rooted for Funny Cide the most.

Turkoman
10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Smarty Jones

rstone
10-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I rooted for Smarty, but the one non triple crown winner that should or could have been that really disappointed me was when Point Given couldn't muster enough up in the derby but then went on to win the Preakness, Belmont, Travers, and Haskell, clearly the best three year old especially with Congaree helping him by challenging up front. He should have won the triple crown. Still no idea what happened in the Derby.

Investorater
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM
It was 2002, the final year the race was held at the Sportsman's Park racetrack. It was a 5/8 M oval with a chute for 4 furlong or 1 1/8 mile races.

War Emblem last prepped in the Illinois Derby, which he won I believe in wire to wire fashion, and by many lengths. This race had him in great condition, for the big race track at C D.

I had a $10 W and $10 S ticket, and collected over $250. I backed him again in the Preakness. Comes the Belmont, and W E stumbles out of the gate, only to surge to the lead in the final turn, but fades at the top of the stretch.

jefftune
10-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Gee, I'd love to see a horse win the TC, so I think I rooted for all of them - except Big Brown.

freehouse2002
10-09-2010, 12:01 AM
I rooted for Smarty, but the one non triple crown winner that should or could have been that really disappointed me was when Point Given couldn't muster enough up in the derby but then went on to win the Preakness, Belmont, Travers, and Haskell, clearly the best three year old especially with Congaree helping him by challenging up front. He should have won the triple crown. Still no idea what happened in the Derby.
Completely agree. Point Given was the goods.

freehouse2002

Johnny V
10-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Smarty Jones. I really thought he was going to win it.

eastie
10-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Gary Stevens happened in the derby....He has to live with the fact that he blew the triple crown on a vastly superior racehorse by being an impatient mutha#@^*!er

I was rooting hard for Smarty, and Charismatic, cause of the Ant

Robert Goren
10-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Big Brown was the only one I rooted for. He was the only one I thought might be the super horse that a triple crown winner should be. Besides he was the only one I bet.

SharpCat
10-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I rooted for all of them to win the Triple Crown. I did not think all of them were the best horse in the race but I still wanted them to win.

castaway01
10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I rooted for all of them to win the Triple Crown. I did not think all of them were the best horse in the race but I still wanted them to win.

I am amazed so many people rooted against most of the horses to win. It's silly to think a horse is more "deserving" than another. Arguing who is better or faster, okay, but how can we determine a horse didn't deserve to win a Triple Crown? When so few have accomplished it, to me, if a horse wins all three races, then that horse proved something. It's not like a horse could get lucky three straight times.

As far as the question, as I said, I didn't root against any of them. I didn't think Funny Cide or War Emblem would win and I BET against them, but their winning would have been fine if they were up to it. Silver Charm was one of my favorite horses, and watching Smarty Jones lose while at Philadelphia Park was pretty rough (that was a depressed group walking out that day). Real Quiet's loss, from a sporting standpoint, was the most painful because he had the race won...but then he didn't.

classhandicapper
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Smarty Jones and Big Brown.

I think both were worthy and think Smarty was actually much the best in the Belmont given that everyone that raced with him early died off and most came back to be very good horses.

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Silver Charm - Worthy
Real Quiet - Not worthy
Charismatic - Not worthy
War Emblem - Great name, kind of ambivalent on my rooting in his case...hell, half the time I forget he was even going for a TC...that's how ambivalent I was on him :lol:
Funny Cide - Not worthy, but I rooted for him anyway...
Smarty Jones- Worthy, and I was very disappointed when he lost.
Big Brown - Worthy, and I was convinced there was no way he could lose except for the way he lost. :lol: His move in the Preakness on the turn for home was one of the more memorable moves I think I'll ever see in my lifetime.

trackrat59
10-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Smarty Jones and Funny Cide :ThmbUp:

Big Brown a little bit

The others, not so much