PDA

View Full Version : Question

BIG HIT
10-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Bought new computer windows 7 old computer vista want get my bris data files and a few prgm into new computer.Mostly want bris data files.
The old computer has no video so can't see anything unscreen.Is there a easyway to transfer stuff with out video on my old computer.?can it be done how easy is it?

wilderness
10-07-2010, 04:05 PM
1) Flash Drive
2) CD-DVD
3) USB Network Cable
4) install the hard drive from the old computer onto the new computer and as a secondary drive, then copy the data, removed the old HD.

All options of transfer.

serp
10-07-2010, 04:22 PM
There is no way to get files off of it with no video other than just taking the hard drive out and hooking it up to the new computer (you can get an ide/sata to usb adapter to make this easier).

If the problem with no video is just that it has no monitor then you could temporarily hook the monitor up to it and then copy stuff via usb drive or something then move the monitor back to the new machine.

You might want to consider using something like Dropbox to keep your files you'd want transfered in the future.

wilderness
10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
You may purchase a used monitor (non-flat screen) for $10-15 at most any computer shop.

If that's the only issue.
It would be a lesser graphics display than your used to, however that presents no real issue for data files.

Hell! You likely piss away more than 10-15 on the daily doubles ;)

BIG HIT
10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Your right LOL thanks agian

BIG HIT
10-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Sorry i some how missed your post what is ide/sata.? As the video card i think is shot on old computer no matter what monitor you get no screen at all. Thank you for your response.

headhawg
10-08-2010, 08:45 AM
PATA and SATA are different drive controller subsystems for hard drives, DVD burners, and the like. They are different technologies so you have to get the right connectors/cables for whatever kind of controller you have. As old as you make your computer sound it likely uses PATA (40-pin connector).

serp
10-08-2010, 09:03 AM
http://www.amazon.com/USB-SATA-5-25-Cable-Adapter/dp/B000YJBL78/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286542852&sr=8-2

Something like that is what I use. It has both IDE and SATA and is pretty cheap. A local computer shop will probably have them. It keeps you from having to open your new system up to hook up the hard drive.

BIG HIT
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Well great info guys thanks for your quick response and time and trouble.