PDA

View Full Version : Beyer on Sea Biscuit

Valuist
09-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Very interesting column today:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45079-2003Sep8.html

We knew the movie played fast and loose with some facts but apparently Laura Hillebrand did as well.

Whirlaway
09-09-2003, 11:19 AM
A few points.

Beyer writes:

" In mid-stretch, Seabiscuit finally moved past Whichcee. Jockey Buddy Haas, aboard Kayak II, was outside the two other horses and in position to see that Seabiscuit had taken command. At that point he stopped riding. He put Kayak II under visible restraint and didn't use his whip, while Pollard continued to flail Seabiscuit. At the finish, Seabiscuit was a half-length ahead of his stablemate."

According to the DRF PP's in "Champions", Kayak II was beaten by 1 1/2 lengths at the finish, not 1/2 length as Beyer states here, a crucial difference. This is also my recollection from viewing the newsreal footage at the Racing Hall of Fame.

Beyer notoriously lacks the "eye" that allows good trip handicapppers to judge late energy levels, a vital part of trip handicapping.

When I was at the Hall of Fame this July, I made a point of seeking out the Seabiscuit/Kayak II video, knowing beforehand the controversy surrounding the race. I believe that I do have the "eye" that good trip handicappers posess, and my initial reaction upon seeing the video was "That's what all the fuss is about?"

It was immeadiately obvious to me that Kayak II was a beaten horse, and in fact turned in a classic bid, hung performance. Jockey Haas stopped riding him late beacause (a) he had second place in the bag; and (b) he was on a beaten horse. This happens every day at every racetrack in the country.

The fact that Beyer couldn't see it is testiment to his inadaquacies as a trip handicapper, a fact that's obvious to anyone who regularly reads his columns.