PDA

View Full Version : Tampa/Texas thread

Valuist
10-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Wonder if Tampa could get swept....over the past couple weeks, they have had no offense at all. Why would Madden start Baldelli at DH and bat him 6th? The guy had 5 HITS all season. Very, very strange.

Its now or never for Tampa's offense. CJ Wilson has had a solid season but has never thrown anywhere near this number of innings after several years operating strictly out of the bullpen. James Shields has been awful recently, with an ERA over 6 since Sept. 1. Both offenses are in a good spot, and get a considerable break not having to face starters like Lee and Price. I would have to look strongly at the over (8).

xfile
10-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Swept? No way IMO....Then again I'm not a real baseball handicapper but I studied the matchup information pretty good.....Tampa is a streaky team. They could get hot and be the sweeper...

OTM Al
10-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I think it can happen very easily. I'm not sure where Shields got his nickname because I can't recall him ever winning a big one and both he and Garza have been getting pounded the last half of the season. I'm not surprised to see Price get smoked as he's pitched well beyond the point he ever has and that wing has to be weary even if he gets another shot. This team also has a lot of swing and miss types as proven by getting no hit twice and thus the bats can go cold very quickly. Beyond that past Longoria, none of these guys have hit all that well all year.

Valuist
10-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Tampa absolutely cannot hit worth a damn. The last couple weeks of the regular season have carried right over into the playoffs. And at Arlington (the baseball park, not racetrack) you'd better be able to plate a lot of runs or you have no chance. Get the broom out.....

cj's dad
10-08-2010, 10:39 AM
The Rays last 6 home games (they were in 1st place the entire time with a lead of 1/2 to 1 and 1/2 games) were played in front of crowds ranging from 12,400 to 22,300 discounting the game vs. Baltimore on a Wednesday when the team gave away 20,000 tickets. A team drawing that few fans in the heat of a pennant race doesn't (IMO) deserve to advance.

Marshall Bennett
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Ranger's pitching is solid and bats up and down the lineup . Would not shock me the least to see them in the world series .

Rookies
10-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Some of my buddies grabbed Texas to win it all, just before their Pitching acquisition. The Rays, who I liked when I saw them in Spring Training, are running on fumes. Their strength was Pitching, which is being countered by a very good hitting team in the Rangers.

As for their hitting ? Dried up. When they played the Jays here, I don't believe they had ONE .300 batter in the lineup. The average that day was about .240 and there weren't a ton of mashers either! And I agree, WTF are you doing putting somebody into the lineup that has FIVE, count 'em FIVE ABs in the season. Completely mismanaged and idiotic.

Are the Buffalo Bills running this team ? :lol:

Still think the Phils Pitching is waaaay to tough, But let's see what develops.

Valuist
10-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Texas looks real solid. Would love to see them upend the Yanks and get to their first World Series.

melman
10-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Have to give Tampa it's props for winning two elim games on the road. Sign of a tough team. Should be a fun Tuesday night at Tampa. Rematch of Lee vs Price. Lee a proven great big game pitcher. Price is no sloch having won 19 games while pitching in the toughest division in baseball. Looking forward to the game.

OTM Al
10-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Texas may have just blown it even if they can move on. Price and Lee go Tuesday night which means whoever wins, their top pitcher won't be ready til game 3 and thus get only 2 starts and a guarantee of only 1. The rest of the pitching ain't much on either team. Yanks in 5

Valuist
10-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Congrats to Texas. Tampa was very unimpressive. Hard to believe the Rays won 96 games during the season.

I'd love to see the Rangers put a beating on the Yankees.

OTM Al
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Texas. Tampa was very unimpressive. Hard to believe the Rays won 96 games during the season.

I'd love to see the Rangers put a beating on the Yankees.

Can't say it won't happen, but odds are stacked against them. Rematch of last year is a very likely outcome

ElKabong
10-13-2010, 11:16 PM
39 seasons, finally a playoff series in the bag. So much misery, so many lackluster teams and nondescript ballclubs that never had a chance or a future. John Daniels changed all that. He deserves 100% of the credit

We'll miss him when he leaves for NY someday.