PDA

View Full Version : Banner Ads are getting old

Dave Schwartz
10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
The banner ads here run the full gamut from irritating to funny, but always highly targeted at me.

I see that they are run by Google. I use Google Chrome as my browser and Google as my default search engine. This must create a perfect environment to track what I am interested in at the moment.

I am building a new web store for our new site. The ads have pounded me for this company, Big Commerce, even though I already purchased!

I looked at a vacation rental in Florida and now I've got banner ads for vacation homes, even though I already rented from them!

Someone (from Florida) mentioned a republican candidate for senate on my Facebook page. I wondered who he was and Googled him. Now I am getting ads for him.

When is it all just too much? I am surprised they don't monitor my email looking for key words. (Maybe they do!)

Does anyone else get tired of this or is it just me? (Understand I am not complaining about PA. Rather, it is the entire system I am complaining about.)

Dave

BillW
10-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I use an ad blocker and never see them (sorry PA :blush: )

Dave Schwartz
10-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Ad blocker?

bigmack
10-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I use an ad blocker and never see them (sorry PA :blush: )
May I be frank? I haven't been using one until you just mentioned it. :ThmbUp:

Speeds things up as well.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

BillW
10-06-2010, 07:57 PM
May I be frank? I haven't been using one until you just mentioned it. :ThmbUp:

Speeds things up as well.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom
Frank? I thought you were Mack :confused:

Dave, I'm using Adblock Plus with FF. It takes out everything.

Here's one I used when I tried Chrome (I gave up on Chrome due to bugs)
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

I forget how well this one works.

bigmack
10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Here's one I used when I tried Chrome (I gave up on Chrome due to bugs)
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb
Dave, Frank here, you're at a crossroads.

Mr. Bill offers AdThwart which has a mere 220,000 users. I, on the other hand, offer AdBlock which has 1.6 million users and has 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I ask you to 'thwart' Mr. Bill's recommendation and go with Frank's.

BillW
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Dave, Frank here, you're at a crossroads.

Mr. Bill offers AdThwart which has a mere 220,000 users. I, on the other hand, offer AdBlock which has 1.6 million users and has 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I ask you to 'thwart' Mr. Bill's recommendation and go with Frank's.

Go for it ... not a recommendation here, just one I found when I fired up Chrome for a few days.

I do however, recommend Adblock Plus (from the same people that do Adblock for Chrome?) that I use with FF.

facorsig
10-07-2010, 06:24 AM
I make one or two purchases per year from these links. In most cases the service offered was to a high standard for a reasonable price. I don't like the large number of banner ads, but the relevancy of the ads is useful......for those of us living in Russia.

bob77713
10-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Yes, Dave, I'm tired of it also. Big Brother 'Google' is watching!

wilderness
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Simply turn-off Java when viewing this site (or others) and like magic the ads disappear.

chickenhead
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't use adblockers normally -- site owners have to monetize somehow. And I figure the more tailored to me they are, the better. I just won't visit sites that are too aggressive with pop-ups and expand-o-matic ads that get in the way.

I can understand using AB on a slow connection tho, and I'm sorely tempted to turn it on sometimes when some site is bogged down waiting to load an ad from a slow server somewhere.

JustRalph
10-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Ads are making money hand over fist for developers

Mostly inside new apps on iPhones and android devices

They are not going away, ever

chickenhead
10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
the ads are being pretty smart for me right now....I recently booked a flight and some hotel rooms....and they are showing me ads for rental car companies. I haven't booked a rental car yet, or done any searches. But I'm going to.

It's like a friendly nag. Much friendlier than my g-friends... :lol:

Dave Schwartz
10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Wait until you rent your car, go on your vacation and come back. When the rental car ads continue it will begin to wear on you.

serp
10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
As others have mentioned Adblock Plus.

For Chrome specifically, you can consider Incognito Mode or perhaps more what you are looking for is to block 3rd party cookies.

Options > Content Settings > Cookies > Block all third-party cookies without exception.

Google often tracks you through sites that use their services (such as Analytics or Adwords). These sites put code in their website that causes your browser to load javascript files from google's servers (thus third-party). These javascript files set cookies with session keys. So every time you visit a site that uses one of these google services (lots of sites) they know you are the same person because your cookies have the same session key.

bob77713
10-07-2010, 02:59 PM
We don't need an Ad-Blocker. We need Google to stop monitoring us!

wilderness
10-07-2010, 03:19 PM
We don't need an Ad-Blocker. We need Google to stop monitoring us!

Neither google or any other web service monitors our activities.

Unfortunately and per this thread (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75771), your just a paranoid schizophrenic like a few other tens of millions ;)

bigmack
10-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Neither google or any other web service monitors our activities.
Unfortunately and per this thread (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75771), your just a paranoid schizophrenic like a few other tens of millions ;)
What does this thread have to do with the linked thread where you were wrong?

wilderness
10-09-2010, 02:54 PM
What does this thread have to do with the linked thread where you were wrong?

"I've never been wrong, I've errored a few times"

If your so focused upon what you perceive to be wrong?

Perhaps you should have jumped upon the lithium-based-bandwagon in that thread ;)

Tom
10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I just added Ad Blocker plus - wow. MAJOR improvement in speed.

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2010, 05:24 PM
You guys all suck.

And I am immediately revoking Dave Schwartz's Authorized Advertiser Status for starting this thread.

Dave Schwartz
10-09-2010, 05:36 PM
I am really sorry. I guess I did not make it clear enough. I try to support you. It is the CONTENT of the ads - not the ads.

Sorry, PA.

Dave

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2010, 06:08 PM
I was kidding of course.

Tom
10-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I am now viewing PA on IE, so I can see the ads.
:cool:

bigmack
10-09-2010, 07:15 PM
You guys all suck.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_9_10_16_14_33.png

serp
10-10-2010, 10:15 AM
If you use Adblock Plus you should, of course, whitelist paceadvantage.com :) Also on any site that you enjoy and don't use annoying ads.

While on the site, click on the adblock logo (red stop sign with a white hand int he middle) and choose "Don't run on www.paceadvantage.com".

BIG RED
10-23-2010, 01:50 PM
If you use Adblock Plus you should, of course, whitelist paceadvantage.com :) Also on any site that you enjoy and don't use annoying ads.

While on the site, click on the adblock logo (red stop sign with a white hand int he middle) and choose "Don't run on www.paceadvantage.com".

I've been doing this for a long time.

Tom, I'm surprised. I figured you would know about the adblocker, and yes, works great. I used a friends computer once, and went on my own site, and I didn't even recognize it , such a difference.
Nothing but text....ahhhhhh