PDA

View Full Version : Doc Halladay- simply the BEST !

Rookies
10-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Best Jays Pitcher I ever saw and neck and neck with Roid Head, Mariano, Sandy and Bob Gibson as the best in my lifetime. All making my Top 20 All Time Pitchers.

Focussed, understated, classy and workmanlike. NEVER complained, whined or bitched that he didn't make the Playoffs here.

Simply Pitching a No-No after 7! :ThmbUp:

redshift1
10-06-2010, 07:32 PM
closer

Rookies
10-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Couldn't happen to a better human being!:ThmbUp:

melman
10-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Only the 2nd no hitter in post season history. No hard hit balls. This facing the best hitting team in the league. Roy has a work ethic like you can't believe. All class just don't try talking to him during the game. :)

Overlay
10-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I just wish he could have thrown it against some other team!

cj's dad
10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I am old enough to say that I saw both - today the entire game and in '56 when I came home from school from the 4th or 5th inning on; Mom made me watch as the past summer I had played my first summer in LL baseball.

Thanks Mom !!

Ocala Mike
10-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Not a Phillies fan, but Doc surgically removed the Reds' heart tonight. Reds have to show me that they're not just happy to have made the playoffs. If they don't "man up," I'll have to concede that Colin Cowherd (Mr. Opinionated of ESPN) was right, and they're frauds who can't beat a good team with good pitching.

Ocala Mike
(1956 Dodger fan in high school, crushed by Don Larsen's "no windup" perfecto!)

Rookies
10-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I know the Phils had Cliff Lee last year, but when they acquired Doc, I told a young member of the better 1/2s' family and huge Phillies fan: " You've just got the best Pitcher in MLB! "

Almost no reply.

Guess, he's found religion now!;)

lsbets
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
When the 9th started, my servers dropped 3 tickets for dinner. I told them to let their tables know there would be a slight delay, because I had to watch to see if Halladay got the no hitter. I'm a die hard Yankee fan, but baseball in general is the greatest sport, thanks to moments like that.

KingChas
10-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Charlie Manual on Halladay no hitter:

"That," Manuel joked after his virtual night off, "was great managing."

Gotta love Charlie, the modern day Yogi Berra. :D

OTM Al
10-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Not a Phillies fan, but Doc surgically removed the Reds' heart tonight. Reds have to show me that they're not just happy to have made the playoffs. If they don't "man up," I'll have to concede that Colin Cowherd (Mr. Opinionated of ESPN) was right, and they're frauds who can't beat a good team with good pitching.

Ocala Mike

They haven't beat good teams all season and much like the Twins, they feasted on a garbage division. Their record and stats are puffed up from that. Not sure if they win a game and scoring is going to be pretty rough. Getting blanked there won't surprise me.

bigmack
10-07-2010, 03:48 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/larsen.png

skate
10-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Without question, two of the ALL time best (mine favs)pitchers in Baseburl went yesterday.

Playoff Fever...call the Doc.

Run out of relivers...leave IT to Lee.

AND and and least we forgets...OH You Chuckie you:jump: , those 'know it alls will be keeping an eye on YOU.

Win or lose...simply the best, day in day out.

And that's baseburl flokes.;)

skate
10-07-2010, 04:20 PM
OH oh oh , Yogi and Ruiz, two of the best at "making THE play" when called upon to do so.

Offense, defense, either way, babe.

Ocala Mike
10-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for posting that AP article and photo, bigmack. There is an obvious error in it, however, namely that Larsen turned 81 in August, not 71. Guess they can't do math at the AP (his birthday is 8/7/29).

Surprised that everyone forgets that he was one of the first pitchers in baseball to adopt the "no-windup" delivery.

Ocala Mike

kingfin66
10-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't know if anybody saw the post game media stuff, but it was stunning to me to see what a humble person he appears to be. He was very polished in a way, but very unassuming. The Philly media must love the guy. If only baseball had more like him.

bigmack
10-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for posting that AP article and photo, bigmack. There is an obvious error in it, however, namely that Larsen turned 81 in August, not 71.
Ah. Ya can't trust AP no mo'.

Nice little tale though, huh? Oh that Mickey. :rolleyes:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/10_7_10_21_01_06.png

Rookies
10-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I didn't see Larsen's perfect game, but have of course, seen the video highlights.

The other side of the coin is the Triple Play during the W.S. The first occurred here: "The only World Series triple play (/wiki/Triple_play_(baseball)) was unassisted and turned by Cleveland's Bill Wambsganss (/wiki/Bill_Wambsganss) in Game 5. Wambsganss, playing second base, caught a line drive off the bat of Clarence Mitchell (/wiki/Clarence_Mitchell), stepped on second base to put out Pete Kilduff (/wiki/Pete_Kilduff), and tagged Otto Miller (/wiki/Otto_Miller_(catcher)) coming from first base. It was the second of fifteen (as of 2009) unassisted triple plays (/wiki/Unassisted_triple_play) in major-league baseball history, and it remains the only one in postseason play."

NOT REALLY!

I saw the second live, which included the greatest catch since Willie Mays robbed Wertz in the 1954 classic.
This one:http://mopupduty.com/index.php/devon-whites-spectacular-catch/

White makes a phenomenal over the shoulder catch, the relay doubles up the 2nd. runner Pendleton and Sanders is tagged by Gruber.

The umpire later apologized for missing it... from 2 feet away! :rolleyes:

cj's dad
10-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Just a side note; In Philly the fans refer to their starting rotation as H2O

Halliday - Hamels and Oswalt

melman
10-11-2010, 01:37 AM
The catch phrase H2O is very popular in Philly. Just as popular however is "Doctober". As for being a popular player I did not think anyone could surpass Lee after last year. However Halladay has done just that. He is just like Chase Utley in that when asked about his own performace he is a man of few words. When asked about a team mates performace he will open up and talk for quite a while.

Rookies
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
The Doctor is in his office again... 6 up and 6 back to the dugout! :)

cj
10-16-2010, 10:33 PM
The Doctor is in his office again... 6 up and 6 back to the dugout! :)

Where'd you go?

chickenhead
10-16-2010, 10:46 PM
FEAR THE BEARD. C'mon baby, we need this one.

chickenhead
10-16-2010, 10:59 PM
BOOM.

cj
10-16-2010, 11:06 PM
BOOM.

Things are interesting. The Rangers tied and could easily be up 2-0 and Lee has yet to pitch.