PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Sports Century Affirmed/Alydar on Sat

Jasonm921
10-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Saturday 6PM EST ESPN classic sports. I never seen this production and couldnt find it on youtube so set your DVR's. ESPN2 on Friday at 530pm EST is reshowing Secretariat's SportsCentury for those that are interested.

Pick6
10-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I hope they show Veitch losing it after the Travers.

Java Gold@TFT
10-07-2010, 06:38 AM
I hope they show Veitch losing it after the Travers.
I hope they show Laz berating Cordero after the Travers.

Pine Tree Lane
10-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I hope they show Laz berating Cordero after the Travers.

Yep, it was definitely Angel's fault Pincay panicked and made a blind left entering the far turn.

Pick6
10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
A clear DQ.

Pincay knew what he was doing. Cordero outsmarted him and got Pincay parked out, with Alydar in the driver's seat.

I was a big Affirmed fan, btw.

Java Gold@TFT
10-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Yep, it was definitely Angel's fault Pincay panicked and made a blind left entering the far turn.
I know that it was Picay's fault and I still blame him today for the DQ but Laz really went off on Cordero for drifting Affirmed out with a hopeless horse. He swore he would never put Cordero on another horse for helping his buddy Jorge Velasquez get the rail in the Travers. Historically, if you look at the Affirmed/Alydar races Affirmed always got the first jump and had the rail in every race. The Travers was the first time that Alydar had to get the rail thanks to Cordero.

Pine Tree Lane
10-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I know that it was Picay's fault and I still blame him today for the DQ but Laz really went off on Cordero for drifting Affirmed out with a hopeless horse. He swore he would never put Cordero on another horse for helping his buddy Jorge Velasquez get the rail in the Travers. Historically, if you look at the Affirmed/Alydar races Affirmed always got the first jump and had the rail in every race. The Travers was the first time that Alydar had to get the rail thanks to Cordero.

The issue actually originated back in 1977 after Angel rode Affirmed in the Youthful (won) and Great American (lost). Angel chose Darby Creek Road for the Hopeful and Pincay did not want to come east to ride Affirmed back from the Hollywood Juvenile. (So much for riders as handicappers!!!!)

When Cauthen received a suspension for the Santa Anita Derby there was a coin flip between Pincay and Cordero which Angel lost. Angel assumed the coin flip was in place for the Travers but Laz selected Pincay.

When Angel took the mount on Shake Shake Shake and the horse was getting out, most conspiracy theorists assumed Cordero was sticking it to Laz while helping Jorge. The Thoroughbred Record did an excellent job breaking it down. The summary was that while Angel was no Angel, Pincay should have ridden a smarter race.

tucker6
10-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I've always had a fondness in my heart for Alydar for the heart he showed in those races. It's too bad that humans failed him, which makes me mad as hell. I wonder if Sports Century goes into those sordid matters.

Pine Tree Lane
10-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I've always had a fondness in my heart for Alydar for the heart he showed in those races. It's too bad that humans failed him, which makes me mad as hell. I wonder if Sports Century goes into those sordid matters.

It touches on it barely.

OTM Al
10-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Actually he failed himself. I've talked to Jorge Velazquez on a few occasions about him. Jorge thought he was good but very stubborn and not so smart, and the horse only rarely would change leads for him. He figured it would have been enough to make the difference.

tucker6
10-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Actually he failed himself. I've talked to Jorge Velazquez on a few occasions about him. Jorge thought he was good but very stubborn and not so smart, and the horse only rarely would change leads for him. He figured it would have been enough to make the difference.I wasn't talking about failures on the track. I was referring to the misdeeds that cost the horse his life. Unless of course, you believe not changing leads was good cause to break his leg. I don't believe you were.

OTM Al
10-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I wasn't talking about failures on the track. I was referring to the misdeeds that cost the horse his life. Unless of course, you believe not changing leads was good cause to break his leg. I don't believe you were.

Well, I appreciate you think I'm so smart I can read your mind from afar, but sadly I'm just not that good. However, as to your question, maybe. Consider if he would change leads. Jorge thought he was better than Affirmed. Perhaps then he does win and it's Affirmed that is the hard luck loser, ridden not by a wunderkind but an inexperienced kid. Alydar's whole life ends up differently. It's all possible if not for that butterfly flapping its wings in Tibet.