PDA

View Full Version : Racing at Hollywood Park Cancelled Today (10-8)

andymays
10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
We had rain.

gm10
10-06-2010, 04:42 PM
We had rain.

Turning into Belmont?

rubicon55
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Does anyone have any info why Oaktree was cancelled today?

rubicon55
10-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks Andy, sorry about the double post.

Mike_412
10-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Turning into Belmont?

That's an unfair statement. The 2 cancelled days last week were the exception, not the rule due to extreme wind and rain. NYRA is extremely lucky to have the track super they have. He does an excellent job.

Tough break about Hollywood today, but safety comes first. Some of these synthetic surfaces should be re-labeled only some weather as opposed to all weather.

Cardus
10-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Vic called-in sick.

andymays
10-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks Andy, sorry about the double post.

It's OK. I've done it a bunch myself.

Technically it is Oak Tree. ;)

It's a little weird that nobody is reporting the story yet. It's posted at the Oak Tree website.

turfnsport
10-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Turning into Belmont?

If Hollywood would have received the weather NY did last week, they would be closed for a month.

Stillriledup
10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
When i think of plastic tracks that melt when water hits them, it reminded me of this famous quote from a 1939 movie.

You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness? Oooooh, look out! I'm going! Oooooh! Ooooooh!

-Wicked Witch of the West

andymays
10-06-2010, 05:21 PM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/october/06/oak-tree-cancels-wednesday-following-rainstorm.aspx

Excerpt:

A publicity representative with the track said that the area received between 1¼-1½ inches of rain in about an hour. Oak Tree first tried delaying the start time of the day’s races before ultimately canceling the card.

andymays
10-06-2010, 05:24 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/oak-tree-hollywood-cancels-wednesday-after-downpour-erodes-track

Excerpt:

Hollywood Park canceled its eight-race Wednesday program after a significant downpour in late morning led to erosion in two places on the backstretch.

cj
10-06-2010, 07:03 PM
At least in Kentucky when they cancel for weather it is to keep fans from braving the snow, all 12 of them. In California, it should be called Fair Weather Track.

carlonr
10-06-2010, 07:39 PM
What states that race year round have fewer cancelled days than California?

so.cal.fan
10-06-2010, 08:10 PM
We had very heavy rain today.
Hollywood Park's dirt path from the barn area to the paddock was 3 feet deep in mud. Part of the barn area got flooded and went onto the racetrack.
The tunnel to the jockeys room was flooded with mud.
There was a massive mess. It will be cleaned up, but when the rain kept up today, there was no way, so around 2:00 pm, an hour after the first race should have been run, they called off today's card.
They will have it cleaned up tomorrow.
It's about 5:00 here in Sierra Madre, it's stopped raining, we are about 30 miles east/north of Hollywood Park.
I'm sure it's stopped over there.
Should be fine tomorrow. Hopefully.

andymays
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM
All-weather tracks, huh?

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/

Excerpt:

Today is another example of what a sham these synthetic tracks have turned out to be. All-weather surfaces? Yeah, right, and I'm going to hit the Lotto this week.

so.cal.fan
10-06-2010, 08:56 PM
The CHRB forced the racetracks to install synthetic tracks.
I don't want to get into the politics of this, or I'll go into an angry rant.
I'll just say that it is the same type of criminality that seems to be running California at this time. :(
These tracks do not wear well. They wear out. They are very, very high maintence. Horses, according to reliable stats, have just as many, if not more injuries. They keep a lot of them quiet. I know barns where all their horses have sustained injury on these tracks, some more serious than others.
These tracks certainly do not favor many of the former top sired Calif. breds.
I know people who took their horses out of Calif, at great expense, because of this.
Some sires, such as Unusual Heat (who is not in-bred at all) are superior on sythetics. So his connections have done quite well.
I tried to be objective for a long time, gave them a chance. However, after seeing the wear and tear they sustain, I am not in favor, at all.
Santa Anita had rocks coming up through the rotted mesh netting to hold the base down. It had to be taken out.
Hopefully, the new track will be better. Hollywood is probably the best synthetic, but they have had to put so much sand on it, it's almost a sand track.
The fake material wears out.
Del Mar......I won't even go there, except to say, I dislike it almost as much as every single player I know. I feel it was a mistake. Hopefully, one day they will get rid of it. Problem is, they don't use it that much, so it doesn't wear out as fast as we would all like to see it do.

To those of you in the minority who like these tracks, good luck to you, but they are not really in the best interest of the game.

andymays
10-06-2010, 09:06 PM
The CHRB forced the racetracks to install synthetic tracks.
I don't want to get into the politics of this, or I'll go into an angry rant.
I'll just say that it is the same type of criminality that seems to be running California at this time. :(
These tracks do not wear well. They wear out. They are very, very high maintence. Horses, according to reliable stats, have just as many, if not more injuries. They keep a lot of them quiet. I know barns where all their horses have sustained injury on these tracks, some more serious than others.
These tracks certainly do not favor many of the former top sired Calif. breds.
I know people who took their horses out of Calif, at great expense, because of this.
Some sires, such as Unusual Heat (who is not in-bred at all) are superior on sythetics. So his connections have done quite well.
I tried to be objective for a long time, gave them a chance. However, after seeing the wear and tear they sustain, I am not in favor, at all.
Santa Anita had rocks coming up through the rotted mesh netting to hold the base down. It had to be taken out.
Hopefully, the new track will be better. Hollywood is probably the best synthetic, but they have had to put so much sand on it, it's almost a sand track.
The fake material wears out.
Del Mar......I won't even go there, except to say, I dislike it almost as much as every single player I know. I feel it was a mistake. Hopefully, one day they will get rid of it. Problem is, they don't use it that much, so it doesn't wear out as fast as we would all like to see it do.

To those of you in the minority who like these tracks, good luck to you, but they are not really in the best interest of the game.

The people that mandated their installation of synthetic surfaces in California are egotistical, imcompetent, and corrupt. Most of them are still running California racing as we speak. Most of them are in favor of raising the takeout and that is another huge mistake they will have made.

Abusive takeout is the next battle. We won the synthetic battle but we should have never had to fight it in the first place.

so.cal.fan
10-06-2010, 09:11 PM
I agree, Andy.
It's almost as if certain factions are trying to destroy California racing? :faint:

Tom
10-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Reality check here, please.
The cancellation, although it pains many of you, had nothing to do with the track itself, but the flood onto it from the "dirt." \

GD dirt - can't count it it whenever it rains! :rolleyes:
Dirt is so bad, even when it is not the track surface is is canceling races.

cj
10-06-2010, 10:34 PM

For poor track conditions, most of them, if not all. Adding in those strictly because of poor weather is pretty disingenuous, but what else is new from you?

JustRalph
10-06-2010, 11:09 PM
You think it's bad now, wait until everybody in ca can smoke an ounce of dope a day without penalty. :lol:

From the weatherman to the guy driving the tractor everybody will be lit and have the munchies

Take a pill.........it's a joke

Beachbabe
10-06-2010, 11:13 PM

Florida !!

riskman
10-06-2010, 11:36 PM
You think it's bad now, wait until everybody in ca can smoke an ounce of dope a day without penalty. :lol:

From the weatherman to the guy driving the tractor everybody will be lit and have the munchies

Yeah, Bong Stands may become a state competition in CA.

v j stauffer
10-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Vic called-in sick.

Being sick never stopped me before.

bigmack
10-07-2010, 01:08 AM
GD dirt - can't count it it whenever it rains! :rolleyes:
Don't spoil a good whine. The relentless cavalcade of anti-synth's have lost touch with the shortcomings of earth.

It rained a torrent here in La Jolla & I know it was a mess around LAX.

Cancelled day. Read a book.

David-LV
10-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Don't spoil a good whine. The relentless cavalcade of anti-synth's have lost touch with the shortcomings of earth.

It rained a torrent here in La Jolla & I know it was a mess around LAX.

Cancelled day. Read a book.

All weather surface, that's a real joke.

Synthetic surfaces the ruination of California racing.:ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

_________
David-LV

andymays
10-07-2010, 07:30 AM
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_16274112

Excerpt:

"It was an easy decision as far as I was concerned, because the jockeys thought they would rather not ride," Liebau said.

"Whenever the jockeys come to that conclusion, I never argue with them.
"If the jockeys think there's any chance that it presents an unsafe condition, I'm out."

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_16274112#ixzz11fhZFbLh

castaway01
10-07-2010, 08:21 AM

Sort of irrelevant since different parts of the country have different weather, isn't it?

BlueShoe
10-07-2010, 09:03 AM
You think it's bad now, wait until everybody in ca can smoke an ounce of dope a day without penalty.
Actually, things really wont change much. As far back as I can remember, one could almost always detect a certain odor by climbing up to the highest row of seats at the far end of the grandstand at Santa Anita or Hollywood Park. Never ever in all these years did we see any presence of security up there. The only time they ever went up into the grandstand was to break up a fight. If they were cool about it, the stoners could toke up without fear of being hassled. It could make it unpleasant for us, all we could do about it was move to another section. If prop 19 passes, and it is leading in the polls, it does prohibit public consumption, so would expect little or no impact at the track. We are not gong to see guys walking around with a joint dangling from their lips or hazy clouds of Mellow Yellow smoke.

netbet
10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Turning into Belmont?

I thought PolyCrap was supposed to be an "All Weather" surface.

Pick6
10-07-2010, 12:45 PM
For poor track conditions, most of them, if not all. Adding in those strictly because of poor weather is pretty disingenuous, but what else is new from you?
Prior to wax, Santa Anita had lost 2 days of racing in 65+ years due to unsafe track condition.

bigmack
10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
All weather surface, that's a real joke.

Synthetic surfaces the ruination of California racing.
You believe everything you hear? Have you ever seen something 'fireproof' burn or something 'waterproof' get soaked?

We get it; you loathe poly. Give it a rest.

so.cal.fan
10-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Synthetic tracks haven't worked out as they planned.
The main reason for the ruination of California racing, however, is the economy and the critical shortage of horses.
The breeding farms are going out of business at an alarming rate and have been for the past several years.
We simply do not have enough horses to fill fields.

Even more alarming, is Keenland, Ky. I understand they have carded an Arabian race?

I hope this isn't a tip off that the horse population in Kentucky is going the way of California?

Does anyone have any good insight into this.
It's very troublesome.

turfnsport
10-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Even more alarming, is Keenland, Ky. I understand they have carded an Arabian race?

I hope this isn't a tip off that the horse population in Kentucky is going the way of California?

It's very troublesome.

http://www.drf.com/news/trade-brings-first-arabian-race-keeneland

Sericm
10-08-2010, 05:06 AM
The people that are bashing Hollywood Park for cancelling the races and blaming it on the synthetic track should get the facts instead of posting irresponsible statements.

This also happened when it was a dirt track twice before. It had nothing to do with the surface of the track.

Tom
10-08-2010, 07:36 AM

It's very troublesome.

For such a so-called premier meet for so limited a time, it is hard to believe they would card this kind of race! Unless, of course, they are expecting a lot of Sheiks this season. :rolleyes:

OTM Al
10-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Synthetic tracks haven't worked out as they planned.
The main reason for the ruination of California racing, however, is the economy and the critical shortage of horses.
The breeding farms are going out of business at an alarming rate and have been for the past several years.
We simply do not have enough horses to fill fields.

It's very troublesome.

Why? They have a lot of Dubai sponsorship and breeding in the area. They love "their" horse, the Arabian, and probably have interest in a stronger program for them. Newmarket, I believe, also had a premier Arabian race during one of their recent meets. So what's the big deal? It's one race.