PDA

View Full Version : Whats your worst horse racing bad beat?

Zippy Chippy
10-05-2010, 01:12 PM
There was a thread a year or two ago and it was hysterical some of the beats some posters had. Figured w/ the new people that have joined the forum it might be fun to bring this up again.

I'll start.

12 horse field i loved the 10 horse. He was 25-1. I put $20 to win on him and did a trifecta ALL/10/ALL.

The 10 gets out of the gate three steps behind the field. I was ready to rip my ticket up. He makes a huge run down the stretch and finishes second. I look at the odds.

40-1 winner, 25-1 second, 23-1 3rd. Im already looking for someone to cash my ticket.

INQUIRY... My horse, the 10. Must have got caught up in the gate and all tickets on the 10 were refunded he didn't get a fair start. I watched the stewards inquiry every time and it just looked like to me he got off a step slow.

Stillriledup
10-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Got taken down in the 5th leg of a big SO Cal carryover pick 6 on a BS call (aren't they all!), nitpick interference. You guessed what happened next, my even money single won the last leg. The pick 6 paid 100k. My horse who got DQd was 8-5 and the horse who got put up was the 2nd choice at 2-1. So, my pick 6 might have paid 50K or thereabouts? You never know what you were taken down for, but i would have to imagine at least 50 large.

You know they say this stuff all evens out, but i don't remember getting put up for 50k or more recently. I guess i'm due! :jump:

wisconsin
10-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Arlington, early 90's. Was at parlor in Richmond, IL. Bunch of tickets with two 25-1 shots first timers on the grass. Head to head from 1/8th pole on in, had $15 exacta box paying $1200 either way, $30 win on the leader inside the 1/6th pole, trifecta no matter what. From out of the picture comes the 7. Got up by a nose hair in a blanket finish. Camera was zooming in on the leaders. This horse was in the picture for 1 second, tops, and the photo took forever. The agony. I still can't hit a score like that should have been.

PhantomOnTour
10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Saddle slips and jock falls off inside the 1/16 pole up by 4 lengths at about 5-1.
True story-happened at LaD around 1990 something.

Phantombridgejumpe
10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
the 2-6, 2-7, 2-8 exactas

Comes in 2-8 and the 8 is a HUGE price.

Ticket comes up, 'Not a winner'. The lady at the counter gave me...

2 with 6/7/7 a play that doesn't even make sense

I also had a nice exact in a harness race where a bunch of the horses broke and/or got in a spill. My 2 were all alone in front, one about 5 lengths in front of the other.

Couldn't be easier.

The declared it 'no race'.

andymays
10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Copied and pasted from an old thead on the same subject.
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56626&highlight=beats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever been disqualifed because the Jockey on your Horse weighed out light? I had it happen to me.

To the best of my memory Allijeba never came close to any other Horse during the race and won at 11-1. The last thing I expected was an inquiry and when it went up I thought it was for another Horse who finished in the money. It lasted forever and I have pasted a link below and the exerpt pertaining to the incident.

I have had many "bad beats" but this is my worst!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/06/30/SP174197.DTL

Exerpt regarding Ricky Frazier and Allijeba:

But he left after a bizarre incident in the $250,000 Final Fourteen Championship -- the culmination of a series of races around the nation -- on Oct. 14, 1990, at Bay Meadows. Frazier won the race aboard Allijeba by a nose over Tex's Zing, but his mount was disqualified because he weighed out with his saddle at 123 pounds -- three fewer than the horse was assigned to carry.

The Bay Meadows board of stewards suspended Frazier for six months, but he went to court to fight the decision, and the penalty was reduced to probation.

Frazier still has no idea how the discrepancy happened, because he weighed in at the correct 126 pounds before the race.

"I didn't have access to the saddle from when I weighed in until I got on the horse," he said. "It never made sense to me. The trainer (Larry Robideaux) and I lost our share of the purse earnings -- about $14,000 each. You wouldn't jeopardize that when you know that the first five finishers in the race get weighed out."

The appearance of impropriety sent Frazier packing.

"It was a big embarrassment to have that cloud over my name," he said. "I went to Texas, where they opened some new tracks (Sam Houston and Retama parks), and I was leading rider there for a few years," Frazier said. "I rode at Delaware Park the past two years."

tbwinner
10-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Calder last year...pick 4, it was something like a 10-1 shot, followed by 14-1 and 8-1, and I was live to 3 runners: a 2-1, 5-1 and 14-1. Will pays were around $3k, $12k and $24k (entire pool) for a buck.

14-1 wins...I'm ecstatic. Inquiry...wavered out in the stretch against a different horse, who of course isn't on my ticket. The 14-1 gets taken down...I never play Calder again.

PhantomOnTour
10-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Luckiest win I ever saw was my brother in the 2005 Ky Derby. He had been drinking all day and loved Afleet Alex (his daughter is named Alexandra), so he goes to make his derby play and bought $12 win on #10 instead of $10 win on #12, which was Afleet Alex's number.
You got it...Giacomo was #10....cleared $600.

Stillriledup
10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever been disqualifed because the Jockey on your Horse weighed out light? I had it happen to me.

To the best of my memory Allijeba never came close to any other Horse during the race and won at 11-1. The last thing I expected was an inquiry and when it went up I thought it was for another Horse who finished in the money. It lasted forever and I have pasted a link below and the exerpt pertaining to the incident.

But he left after a bizarre incident in the $250,000 Final Fourteen Championship -- the culmination of a series of races around the nation -- on Oct. 14, 1990, at Bay Meadows. Frazier won the race aboard Allijeba by a nose over Tex's Zing, but his mount was disqualified because he weighed out with his saddle at 123 pounds -- three fewer than the horse was assigned to carry.

The Bay Meadows board of stewards suspended Frazier for six months, but he went to court to fight the decision, and the penalty was reduced to probation.

Frazier still has no idea how the discrepancy happened, because he weighed in at the correct 126 pounds before the race.

"I didn't have access to the saddle from when I weighed in until I got on the horse," he said. "It never made sense to me. The trainer (Larry Robideaux) and I lost our share of the purse earnings -- about $14,000 each. You wouldn't jeopardize that when you know that the first five finishers in the race get weighed out."

"It was a big embarrassment to have that cloud over my name," he said. "I went to Texas, where they opened some new tracks (Sam Houston and Retama parks), and I was leading rider there for a few years," Frazier said. "I rode at Delaware Park the past two years."

i posted in that thread and this one. Funny how things and memories change over time, my beat remained the same, but the memory of events was a little different. :lol:

MickJ26
10-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I have two.
I'll share one with you.
A few years back at the Big A. IDT, a fairly decent claiming sprinter named Stonewood cost me about $50,000.
I'm alive in the pick six to Stonewood in the last leg. I'm watching the pick six willpays and only Stonewood is paying out about $50k and change, everyone else is carrying over. It was a non-carryover day, so I figure I'm alive to the pool. Stonewood was I believe 8-1 on the morning line. So, the race goes off, Stonewood has about a three length lead all the way down the backstretch and turning for home. Then, around a furlong from the finish, Stonewood decided he'd run as far as he wanted to go that day, the chalk comes from about six lenghts down to win by about six lengths. I went from roughly $50k to $624.80

RXB
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Must've been about 15 years ago, a friend of mine bet a horse at Laurel, I think the odds were something like 25/1. Horse had a big lead at the 1/16th pole... and jumped the inner rail.

A few months later, same guy bet a horse at something like 6/1 that was long gone on the grass at LaD, until it crashed through the rail inside the 1/16th pole.

Another friend went to play the tri in the last race at Hastings, and didn't like the two favourites, so he was going to wheel his top selection with five others. And he decided to play $5 tri tickets instead of his usual $1 or $2, because he thought he had a chance to really score. This was back in the days of long teller lineups, so as he waited in line, he looked over at the big odds board on the inside grandstand wall and saw that there were no odds posted for the #11, which would indicate that the horse was scratched. "Hmmm," he thought, "I didn't know that horse had been scratched." But he didn't check with the teller; he just called his tickets with the other horses, leaving out the #11. In fact, it was a malfunction of the board: so of course, the #11 ran third at big odds, one of his other horses won at big odds, and his gotta-be-there horse ran second. We determined that he would've won about $14,000...

tbwinner
10-05-2010, 05:07 PM
He had been drinking all day and loved Afleet Alex (his daughter is named Alexandra)
Must've made big money over the past 2 years then....

tbwinner
10-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Imagine if the weigh-in/out problem had happened during this year's Belmont with Uptowncharlybrown weighing out a few pounds less as the saddle lost a weight pad around the turn...what if charly won?

Stillriledup
12-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I just took my worst lifetime beat. Watch the 3rd race at hollywood, i had a 7-2 exacta. Dish the Freaking Dirt was the horse i needed for 2nd. Its bizarre how she didnt get 2nd with 70 yards to go. She was moving best of all, and then, inexplicably, just stopped to a walk with 2 strides left just refusing to pass. I was counting my money with my closers box (knowing there would be fast fractions). I dont like giving my money back after i've counted it.

Cardus
12-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I am stunned that no one has posted, "When Zenyatta lost" as his toughest beat.

Let's Roll
12-12-2010, 06:47 PM
2000 Breeders Cup Mile. I had made money on Northeastbound since he broke his maiden. Now one of my favorite horses is racing in the BC. I have him keyed to win in every pick 3, doubles, 30 across, boxed with 'all' in the exactas.
He lead from the gate the entire way around and a hard charging War Chant
got him right at the end by a neck.
I made a few bucks, Northeastbound paid 29.60 to place, I caught the 486.00 exacta but there is no telling what the pick 3's would have paid, I had the winners of the other races..........

Stillriledup
12-12-2010, 07:01 PM
2000 Breeders Cup Mile. I had made money on Northeastbound since he broke his maiden. Now one of my favorite horses is racing in the BC. I have him keyed to win in every pick 3, doubles, 30 across, boxed with 'all' in the exactas.
He lead from the gate the entire way around and a hard charging War Chant
got him right at the end by a neck.
I made a few bucks, Northeastbound paid 29.60 to place, I caught the 486.00 exacta but there is no telling what the pick 3's would have paid, I had the winners of the other races..........

It would have paid whatever you wanted it to pay. Seriously, it would have been jawdropping.

Market Mover
12-13-2010, 01:05 AM
What were the prices of the other winners in that p3 sequence?

NJ Stinks
12-13-2010, 02:39 AM
When I was in college, I took my meager pot to Shenandoah Downs located across the street from Charles Town. I played an exacta box. A 13-1 shot won and a 20something-1 shot ran second. I hit it!

But wait. It's may be getting even better! The 20something-1 shot objects against the winner. The review must have lasted 10 minutes. The stewards' decision disqualified the place horse and placed him something like 4th for interference at the top of the stretch. Meanwhile, the winner was left where he finished. :eek:

I can't remember seeing that particular scenario (the objecting horse being taken down) ever since that night.

I was so pissed I didn't go back to West Virginia for at least three weeks! ;)

Let's Roll
12-13-2010, 11:39 AM
What were the prices of the other winners in that p3 sequence?
I found a link with the results from that day:
http://www.racingchannel.com/archives/CHU/2000/11/CHU001104.HTM

I played all the pick 3's with that race, so there were 3 sequences.

comet52
12-13-2010, 11:56 AM
- A horse at Philly park a few years back had about an 8 length lead and the jock stood up at the 16th pole thinking it was the finish line and finished about 5th.
- A horse down the stretch with a big lead, can't recall the track maybe Mountaineer, broke down
- A horse about to win caught at the wire by Donaguska at Hawthorne a couple years ago. No way that horse could do what it did, come from about 25 lengths back. Something crooked happened there. I also had an exacta on that race if that shit didn't happen. No one's ever heard from that horse again, surprise.

Those are the ones I remember but many bad beats in sports in years past when I bet them heavily. It's just part of life as a gambler. You get some lucky ones too - dq's that go your way, bet the wrong horse or team by accident and get the win, etc.

appistappis
12-13-2010, 08:31 PM
after 37 years at this game it would take an hour to answer this question.

Market Mover
12-14-2010, 02:49 AM
I found a link with the results from that day:
http://www.racingchannel.com/archives/CHU/2000/11/CHU001104.HTM

I played all the pick 3's with that race, so there were 3 sequences.
This was indeed a very tough series of beats Letsroll. Spain x Carressing x NorthEastabound could have been a possible poolscooper. Six digit p3 payouts? Only at The Breeders Cup

Cardus
12-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Will this thread catch up to Andymays' "Bad Beats! What's Your Worst?" thread?

stu
12-14-2010, 05:14 PM
I hope that the following is my worst bad beat for the remainder of my life.

Where: Jan 23 1999 at the Cal-Neva 4-day real money tournament

Race: Race 5 at Santa Anita - $62,500 claimer contested at a mile on the turf

Wager: 10% of previous days ending bankroll on a horse to win (I can't remember the exact amount but I think that it was $125 or so. At this time I was about 15th in the contest standings)

Horse: Canyon Crest @ 48.5-to-1 odds. In these contests, I always tried to find the live longshots. I can't remember all of the reason why I used Canyon Crest, but the one that sticks out is that he had previously won at boxcar prices.

In the 10-horse field, Joey Steiner has my horse 6th after :48.45, 5th after 1:12.56, and then 3rd in the stretch. As I am screaming like a absolute idiot Joey gets up by at neck at 1:37.66.

Canyon Crest, the Randy Bradshaw trainee, just ran a lifetime best race and my heart is racing from the excitement as I notice the blinking lights. After a handful of painful minutes, I have already figured out that if I survive I move into first place in the tournament and just made over $6,000 cash on a win bet.

DQ'ed to third. My heart quit racing a few hours later. The next day in the tournament I couldn't clear my mind and went 0 for 10 and gave everything back in the real money tournament.

Storm Cadet
12-14-2010, 09:13 PM
While I was in college, I was given a tip on a fixed race at Yonkers. 5 trotters in the race and 3 were in on the fix. One horse HY Bernadette was supposed to go wire to wire while the other two "bad guys" kept the 2 "good guys" either parked wide or blocked the whole race.

So I empty my saving account, place huge bets on all possible wins and exacta and tri possibilities of all the "bad guys". Man I was counting the cash!

So the race goes off and the two good guys smelled a rat and they both broke fast and the rest of the race was the bad guys trying to catch two. Down the stretch was a sight as everybody was wipping each others horses to try to make them break! No dice as the two good guys fly home 1-2. It was so bad the stewards dont even show replays of the race and flash official very quickly. People at the track smelled something fishy as they started to light trash cans and toss them all other the place. Needless to say I was wiped out that night and I stayed away from all racing for almost 20 years!

precocity
12-15-2010, 12:55 PM
About 7 years ago I put 500 to wp on a horse at fair grounds my friend father owned the horse and said he was busting down the barn and was ready to roll....went off as a 13-1 busted out the gate and was all alone going down the stretch wire to then he broke down 2 furlongs before the wire???????????????? sad sad sight to see :( after that stayed away from the game for a year? and I am a heavy horse player...

Stillriledup
12-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I hope that the following is my worst bad beat for the remainder of my life.

Where: Jan 23 1999 at the Cal-Neva 4-day real money tournament

Race: Race 5 at Santa Anita - $62,500 claimer contested at a mile on the turf

Wager: 10% of previous days ending bankroll on a horse to win (I can't remember the exact amount but I think that it was $125 or so. At this time I was about 15th in the contest standings)

Horse: Canyon Crest @ 48.5-to-1 odds. In these contests, I always tried to find the live longshots. I can't remember all of the reason why I used Canyon Crest, but the one that sticks out is that he had previously won at boxcar prices.

In the 10-horse field, Joey Steiner has my horse 6th after :48.45, 5th after 1:12.56, and then 3rd in the stretch. As I am screaming like a absolute idiot Joey gets up by at neck at 1:37.66.

Canyon Crest, the Randy Bradshaw trainee, just ran a lifetime best race and my heart is racing from the excitement as I notice the blinking lights. After a handful of painful minutes, I have already figured out that if I survive I move into first place in the tournament and just made over $6,000 cash on a win bet.

DQ'ed to third. My heart quit racing a few hours later. The next day in the tournament I couldn't clear my mind and went 0 for 10 and gave everything back in the real money tournament.

I TOTALLY remember that race, that DQ crushed me also. I don't remember what i had, but i remember it was a lot. Geez, that was over 10 years ago.

Btw, that was a totally BOGUS DQ if i remember.

comet52
12-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Had the 9/3 exacta tonight in the 9th at Penn, was worth $389. They dq'd it into a 3/9. :(