PDA

View Full Version : Rail Trip

keithw84
10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Where was he yesterday? I didn't like the synthetic-dirt angle on him and didn't include him in any bets, but I was still surprised that he was beaten 15+ lengths.

Fingal
10-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Bad foot with an aluminum plate=bet against.

cj
10-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Hard to believe he was, as John Shirreffs called him, "The Highest Mountain" only a few months ago.

Cardus
10-03-2010, 10:51 PM
He opened pretty chilly on the board yesterday, too.

bigmack
10-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Hard to believe he was, as John Shirreffs called him, "The Highest Mountain" only a few months ago.
In fairness to Shirreffs I've seen this mentioned here before and I don't believe he was referring to RT as "The HM".

Valuist
10-04-2010, 12:10 AM

He ran like he was climbing a high mountain.......

cj
10-04-2010, 08:26 AM
In fairness to Shirreffs I've seen this mentioned here before and I don't believe he was referring to RT as "The HM".

It was his response to a question about taking on Rail Trip in the HGC. Something to the effect of "we aren't looking to climb the highest mountains".

The_Knight_Sky
10-04-2010, 09:11 AM
It was his response to a question about taking on Rail Trip in the HGC.

Something to the effect of "we aren't looking to climb the highest mountains".

http://i56.tinypic.com/34dsqch.gif That's another way of saying...

we're looking to take the "path of least resistance".

gm10
10-04-2010, 09:30 AM
It was his response to a question about taking on Rail Trip in the HGC. Something to the effect of "we aren't looking to climb the highest mountains".

It's even harder to believe that some accused her of ducking just because she didn't race against Rail Trip when he was the flavour of the month. Some will probably soon be saying she ducked Richard's Kid. Probably the same people who've been ridiculing Richard's Kid for years here.

Tom
10-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I expected a heck of a lot better performance from Rail Trip.
Shows what I know.

DeanT
10-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I expected a heck of a lot better performance from Rail Trip.
Shows what I know.

Me too. Brutal! Someone should pay me not to bet their horse in futures!

I'm not sure who I am going to put the hex on next.

FenceBored
10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
It's even harder to believe that some accused her of ducking just because she didn't race against Rail Trip when he was the flavour of the month. Some will probably soon be saying she ducked Richard's Kid. Probably the same people who've been ridiculing Richard's Kid for years here.

It's not "even harder to believe that some accused her of ducking" Rail Trip, it's even harder to believe that her connections felt they needed to do it. That's the point.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
It's even harder to believe that some accused her of ducking just because she didn't race against Rail Trip when he was the flavour of the month. Some will probably soon be saying she ducked Richard's Kid. Probably the same people who've been ridiculing Richard's Kid for years here.That tells you something about the quality of racing out in California at the highest levels.

Which makes Zenyatta's avoidance of those races even more unbelievable.

classhandicapper
10-04-2010, 12:14 PM
When horses change surfaces you never know whether their form will deteriorate, improve or stay the same.

Had Rail Trip had a clean preparation for the race and run reasonably well, I would think one thing. However, he had enough problems since being handed over to Dutrow and missed enough training that he had to skip his original NY target race, he came out with an aluminum pad Saturday, was totally dead on the board early, and didn't run a lick.

Maybe he's not doing well. Maybe he doesn't like dirt, but either way that wasn't Rail Trip.

I think it's fair so say we didn't learn anything about Rail Trip's ability on either synthetic or dirt on Saturday and it's practically preposterous to infer anything about the caliber of competition in CA based on his performance Saturday in light of the circumstances (and especially in light of the excellent performances of other CA based horses in the east this year) .

Personally, I'm really disappointed, but the moment they announced the aluminum pad, I knew he had no shot given everything else.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2010, 12:27 PM
When horses change surfaces you never know whether their form will deteriorate, improve or stay the same.

Had Rail Trip had a clean preparation for the race and run reasonably well, I would think one thing. However, he had enough problems since being handed over to Dutrow and missed enough training that he had to skip his original NY target race, he came out with an aluminum pad Saturday, was totally dead on the board early, and didn't run a lick.

Maybe he's not doing well. Maybe he doesn't like dirt, but either way that wasn't Rail Trip.

I think it's fair so say we didn't learn anything about Rail Trip's ability on either synthetic or dirt on Saturday and it's practically preposterous to infer anything about the caliber of competition in CA based on his performance Saturday in light of the circumstances (and especially in light of the excellent performances of other CA based horses in the east this year) .

Personally, I'm really disappointed, but the moment they announced the aluminum pad, I knew he had no shot given everything else.I agree with you about Rail Trip. My prior comment above was in reference to Richard's Kid.

Tom
10-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Personally, I'm really disappointed, but the moment they announced the aluminum pad, I knew he had no shot given everything else.

So you tell me this on Monday?
What pad?
Why wasn't I told?
You lose my email addy?
PM box full? :mad::mad:

The TVG mute button got revenge on me! :D

toussaud
06-04-2011, 02:03 PM
anyone got anything on rail trip?

also, considering the dutrow drama right now, is it possible he can go back to ellis?

FenceBored
06-04-2011, 02:18 PM
anyone got anything on rail trip?

also, considering the dutrow drama right now, is it possible he can go back to ellis?

Equibase shows him working every six days since April 22.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorseInfo.cfm?refno=7496933&registry=T (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorseInfo.cfm?refno=7496933&registry=T)

the little guy
06-04-2011, 02:41 PM
He's running at Belmont tomorrow, Sunday.

FenceBored
06-04-2011, 02:53 PM
He's running at Belmont tomorrow, Sunday.

Thanks. Hmm, facing some horse named Tahitian Warrior. Where have I heard that name before.

toussaud
06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
dang talk about timing lol

Rise Over Run
06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Still running with the aluminum pad on today.

Mineshaft
06-05-2011, 02:11 PM
ran a damn good race. dont know what he was facing but he looked good.

the little guy
06-05-2011, 02:16 PM
ran a damn good race. dont know what he was facing but he looked good.

I had a suspicion that you don't follow horse racing. Thanks for the confirmation.

PhantomOnTour
06-05-2011, 02:22 PM
My question about this race isn't about Rail Trip; it's about Friend Or Foe and whether he's ready to step into the non state bred stakes ranks and keep winning. This was a good step.

He beat a small but solid field here in nice time with nice splits, so Graded Stks must be next. Been brilliant at times and I'm pulling for him to add quality to a lukewarm older male division.

(by the way, this Ruthenia gal should get the ideal pace shakeout in the next at Bel...price ain't much but I think she rolls in the lane)

sonnyp
06-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I had a suspicion that you don't follow horse racing. Thanks for the confirmation.

harvey pack's calling you. run along now

Mineshaft
06-05-2011, 04:10 PM

dude i didnt have a racing form and i dont follow NY racing thats why i said i didnt know what he was facing u twit...

Relwob Owner
06-05-2011, 04:47 PM
dude i didnt have a racing form and i dont follow NY racing thats why i said i didnt know what he was facing u twit...

People often get mad on here when others post misinformation or uninformed opinions......you post that the horse looked good but admitted you don't know what he was up against and you still get heat for it. Sometimes, you just can't win.

sonnyp
06-05-2011, 04:51 PM
People often get mad on here when others post misinformation or uninformed opinions......you post that the horse looked good but admitted you don't know what he was up against and you still get heat for it. Sometimes, you just can't win.

yeh, but you must always consider the source. there are people on this board that are legends in their own mind, as if anyone cares.

Mineshaft
06-05-2011, 05:07 PM

yep you right and i even said that "i didnt know what he was facing" I guess Andy cant read poor thing.

Dahoss9698
06-05-2011, 05:12 PM
It's not like you have to be Andy Beyer or follow NY racing to recognize the names Friend or Foe, Tahitian Warrior and Convocation. They aren't hall of famers, but how can you follow racing and not recognize any of those names?

Dahoss9698
06-05-2011, 05:16 PM
yeh, but you must always consider the source. there are people on this board that are legends in their own mind, as if anyone cares.

Pot meet kettle.

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2011, 08:24 PM
dude i didnt have a racing form and i dont follow NY racing thats why i said i didnt know what he was facing u twit...Why did you feel the need to call him a name? Did he call you a name? No, he didn't.

In fact, if you go back and read what he wrote, I'm not even sure why you seem so offended (that goes for sonnyp as well). You admitted you didn't know what he was facing, meaning, you're not following, which is exactly what TLG wrote.

Perhaps you should simmer down and not light a fire under your ass the next time you see "the little guy" has made a reply.

classhandicapper
06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
It was his first start off a layoff and he didn't run poorly, but if that's the best he's got, IMO he's not the same horse he was before all his hoof issues (or he's not as good on dirt which I don't believe). He did race with an aluminum pad again.

NTamm1215
06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
It was his first start off a layoff and he didn't run poorly, but if that's the best he's got, IMO he's not the same horse he was before all his hoof issues (or he's not as good on dirt which I don't believe). He did race with an aluminum pad again.

How many horses routinely run their best off 8 month layoffs with an aluminum pad setting a very strong pace against a good field?

exiles
06-06-2011, 11:12 PM
I think he will be very tough in his next race.

Dahoss9698
06-06-2011, 11:14 PM
I think he will be very tough in his next race.

Really going out on a limb, huh?

exiles
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Really going out on a limb, huh?

I see you think the same too, man I new you were good.

classhandicapper
06-07-2011, 01:15 PM
How many horses routinely run their best off 8 month layoffs with an aluminum pad setting a very strong pace against a good field?

In the modern game, a lot of "seasoned" older horses come back fairly close to their best. I didn't think he ran that well. He was OK, but IMO that obviously wasn't a Grade 1 effort.

I consider the continued use of an aluminum pad to be a negative that makes the probability that he's going to recover his best form lower than it would be otherwise. I'm hoping he does though. I was a big fan when he was out in CA. I thought he was being underrated by some because of anti CA bias, anti synthetic bias, and issues with speed figures on synthetics.

toetoe
06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
It's not like you have to be Andy Beyer or follow NY racing to recognize the names Friend or Foe, Tahitian Warrior and Convocation. They aren't hall of famers, but how can you follow racing and not recognize any of those names?

Tahitian Warrior sounds familiar. I watch the races five days per week. I recognize hundreds of thoroughbreds and darksiders. However, without looking at the PP's for the Belmont race, I couldn't know "what he was facing" in terms of talent/form/pace even in the case of the one recognizable name.

Mr. Serling is guilty as charged. This court sentences Mr. Serling to thirty days in a booth with Jason Blewett. (:Pounding gavel.) NEXT !!!

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Tahitian Warrior sounds familiar. I watch the races five days per week. I recognize hundreds of thoroughbreds and darksiders. However, without looking at the PP's for the Belmont race, I couldn't know "what he was facing" in terms of talent/form/pace even in the case of the one recognizable name.

Mr. Serling is guilty as charged. This court sentences Mr. Serling to thirty days in a booth with Jason Blewett. (:Pounding gavel.) NEXT !!!

So you're not familiar with Friend or Foe or Convocation? Maybe you need to watch the races a little closer.

toetoe
06-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Hoss Izass,

I will pay closer attention to Belmont Park, the mecca of American sport. Now, please share your assessments of the following:

Alternation

Autism Awareness

Ducky Drake

Colony Club

Noosa Beach

True To Tradition

Inglorious

Freaky

A Political Jess

Roll With Joe

VC Chocoholic

Clowns Smile

The Admiral

toussaud
06-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Hoss Izass,

I will pay closer attention to Belmont Park, the mecca of American sport. Now, please share your assessments of the following:

Alternation

Autism Awareness

Ducky Drake

Colony Club

Noosa Beach

True To Tradition

Inglorious

Freaky

A Political Jess

Roll With Joe

VC Chocoholic

Clowns Smile

The Admiral autism awareness is a no cal grade 3 winner i know that much. ships down to socal; from time to time

a political jess runs on the mid west circuit

nossa beach won the longacers mile last year

True to tradition runs up north/woodbine on the turf.

Alternation is the horse that made sway away and archarcharch act up in the rebel

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 06:28 PM
The point is, you don't have to follow Belmont to recognize those names. They both ran in major stakes last year and Convocation just ran in the prep for the Met Mile.

I'm not going to waste my time giving assesments of 13 from around the country to make you feel better. But I really wish Inglorious didn't run down the filly I bet last Sunday at Woodbine

toetoe
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Mineshaft,

The Snippy Guy is less interested in your knowledge than his post suggests. He's not keeping track of his boardmates. His purpose is served by a pithy personal attack designed to make you feel ... well ... little.
Breathing the rarefied air of New York, rubbing elbows with Steven Crist, Tommy Durkin, Johnny I., Eric Donovan, Jason Blewett, Maylan Studart (he looks up to all of them) --- it all just makes a guy incapable of suffering Internet fools like us.

Now, DaHoss has a broader vision. Good Southpaw that he is, he employs the Moralistic Fallacy --- what you admitted in your post shouldn't exist; therefore it doesn't exist. You are presumed to be an intelligent fan of horseracing, but that presumption can not coexist with the Dahossian view of the prerequisites for intelligent thoroughbred fandom, that is, knowing everything he thinks you should know.

Dahoss,

Sad to say, New York and its stellar statebreds are becoming the exclusive province of the Right Coast, and that is not a defense of Hollywood park.

I'm not sure, but I think the Altitudinally Challenged Guy has had his suspicions about your knowledge of horseracing, including stakeswinners A Political Jess (quarterhorses) and Roll With Joe (harness), confirmed.

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 09:26 PM
The internet is awesome.

toetoe
06-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Beware, as Little One suspects you don't know much about it.

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
You used to be kind of funny. I'm not sure what happened, but it's unfortunate.

toetoe
06-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I suspected you had lost your sense of humor. You have confirmed it.

Oh, please tell me what I might do to be cool again ? :(

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Stop trying so hard. Start with that and then we'll go on from there.

toetoe
06-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Okay. Let's review my agenda:

1) Pay more attention to what I predict TLG and Dahoss will deem important races.

2) Try less hard.

I'll try, but it's like promising a superior officer that I'll stop calling him 'Sir' by saying "Yes Sir." You don't know how hard it is. I don't want to actually crack the charmed circle of the Geek Clique; I just want a pat on the head now and then.

P.S. I will defend Mineshaft's innocuous comment for as long as you defend TLG's crotchet.

P.P.S. Hey --- I'm less hard already. :jump:

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I always enjoy the geek stuff. Especially from the girl magnets that try desperately to be funny and ironic on a board that is about 95% men.

toetoe
06-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Please define 'ironic'. Take a moment to consult The Little Guy That Couldn't, then please get back to me.

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Now I see what happened to your sense of humor. You replaced it with jealousy.

You'll have to excuse me. This has been a lot of fun but I want to watch the 2nd half of the basketball game and I have some handicapping to finish up on. Have a great night!

Tom
06-07-2011, 11:25 PM
autism awareness is a no cal grade 3 winner i know that much. ships down to socal; from time to time

a political jess runs on the mid west circuit

nossa beach won the longacers mile last year

True to tradition runs up north/woodbine on the turf.

Alternation is the horse that made sway away and archarcharch act up in the rebel

There is racing outside NYRA?
Wow. Stunning news.
Has this been verified?