PDA

View Full Version : JOCKEYS ***

Derek2U
09-07-2003, 05:55 PM
I wanna know if the jockeys can either SEE the pace of the
race as its posted on the boards or HEAR the pace figs as
announced by the caller. (This last race at BEL was a total
front-running coup by a slow front-runner who stole it)

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2003, 06:19 PM
I doubt that they can and I further doubt that it would make a difference to them.

I just cannot imagine a jockey saying to himself, "Wait! I am on the lead but going to fast according to the clock! Better slow down."

Dave Schwartz

cj
09-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Hearing the fractions can't help, by the time the jock would hear them, it would be too late to adjust for them.

hurrikane
09-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Derek,

I would be truely amazed if they could. I've never heard one say after a race the they new when they went in 21.2 they had a hot pace...
More likely they just feel the pace and the good ones can tell how fast they have run.

Of course...it seems most can't even ride and whip at the same time so I'm guessing most are just trying to figure out how not to fall off the friggin horse.

Tom
09-07-2003, 06:51 PM
I can hear Baily hollering to Vasquez down the backstretch,"Sheeez, yer doin' 59.88! What are you trying to do. cook us? Knock off about .55-.69 will ya?!"
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TonyK@HSH
09-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Philly Park does have small timers placed at various points around the track. The jocks can see the split times during the race as each split is completed. This is the only track at which I've noticed this.

Tony

SandyE
09-08-2003, 09:29 PM
I didn't know that they had timers, so when were the timers installed there at Philly? Last time I was there I don't recall seeing them there. I guess being able to judge pace isn't a requirement to being a Jockey any more eh? More times then not you'll get they don't hear the call, or if they did the rider was by him/herself on the lead.

TonyK@HSH
09-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by SandyE
I didn't know that they had timers, so when were the timers installed there at Philly? Last time I was there I don't recall seeing them there. I guess being able to judge pace isn't a requirement to being a Jockey any more eh? More times then not you'll get they don't hear the call, or if they did the rider was by him/herself on the lead.

The timers have been there for as long as I remember. They are hard to see by the fan in the grandstand. They are actually small digital displays attached to the rail at spots around the track. The size may be 12 inches by 10 inches, just large enough to display the times.

Tony

WINMANWIN
09-08-2003, 11:31 PM
You would think all tracks would do the same thing like phila park
After all, We are an information society now days and a small clock
at each qtr, would not hurt the BOTTOM line of these tracks. :confused: But then again, you can question Jock rides
daily, and the tracks want to keep that in the closet, Integrity may be questioned, and in this great game, Integrity and NON -Efforts go hand in hand.

Buddha
09-09-2003, 12:11 AM
I also doubt that the jockeys can actually hear the call, but a good jockey should be able to judge pace, and as players, you should over time notice which jockeys cant ride front runners as they run too fast and burn the horses out.