PDA

View Full Version : Diabolical: How to Beat Zenyatta

andymays
10-02-2010, 05:48 PM
If I had two in the race I would definitely use one of them to go head and head with Zenyatta early even though she's in last place. Zenyatta is usually relaxed and alone for the first half of the race but I believe if someone runs head and head with her early Smith will try to get away from the horse and move too early. Zenyatta won't be as comfortable in the first half of the race.

Of course she's supposed to win but what tactics would you use to try and beat her if you had two in the race?

Tom
10-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Good drugs.

foregoforever
10-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Put your horse on her inside on the first turn, then yank the reins to make your horse veer out about 10 paths, carrying Z way out into the middle of the track at the head of the backstretch.

As long as you do it early enough in the race, it's apparently no foul in California.

andymays
10-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't mean banging into her.

Smith will want to be alone in last and there's a lot of pressure on him even though it looks like an easy race. They have to take him out of his comfort zone and make him move early if they want to have any chance.

Tom
10-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Tell you what, if you are really serious about stopping her, I will put a deuce on her nose today. That has stopped freight trains in the past!:bang:

andymays
10-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Tell you what, if you are really serious about stopping her, I will put a deuce on her nose today. That has stopped freight trains in the past!:bang:

The Eddie Mush move. Very powerful. :)

Bruiser1
10-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't think she will be beaten by a horse (target) in front of her. If she has any vulnerability, it would probably be from another closer, something I don't recall happening to her yet.

That being said, how lucky we are to have such a champion in our time.

Hanover1
10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Only way to beat her is to send one that can stay the mile around .34-aint gonna happen....jock sends one like that and hes a clown....

andymays
10-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Only way to beat her is to send one that can stay the mile around .34-aint gonna happen....jock sends one like that and hes a clown....

For someone to beat her her she has to move way too early and hang a little.

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm looking at her figs on HTR right now in this race coming up....she actually looks vulnerable to me...

If you look at her pattern in her last 10, you will see she runs one of her top figs followed by two regressions. Here is what her pattern looks like, from most recent down (smaller the number, faster the race):

this pattern puts her perhaps running around another 13 today, and sets her up for another peak effort in the BC Classic.

However, a 13 today can be beaten...Switch, Rinterval, Satans Quick Chick, and even Emmy Darling on her best day can run a 13 or better.

The problem is that the pace scenario is going to favor Zenyatta today, and she'll probably get it done again, but I don't think this is any sort of lock for her.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her suffer her first loss today, considering how close she has been cutting it lately. The early pace scenario will probably be enough for her to notch another win though...these other horses are just bleh....

If I had a gun to my head as to who could spring the upset, I'd have to go with Switch + Satan....

andymays
10-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Jerry Jam want this one badly.

In the event of an upset we'll have quotes to talk about for weeks. ;)

Deepsix
10-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Heard that before (those very words I think) !! <smile>

Jerry doesn't run his horses in Calif. He's left the state with his string... or, so I recall him stating. He don't run on synthetics except Kee and DMR. Ooop.

andymays
10-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Heard that before (those very words I think) !! <smile>

Jerry doesn't run his horses in Calif. He's left the state with his string... or, so I recall him stating. He don't run on synthetics except Kee and DMR. Ooop.

The man sticks up for Horseplayers. He can say and do whatever he wants after that. ;)

andymays
10-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Zenyatta loss wouldn't be shocking this weekend

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/30/2510281/zenyatta-loss-wouldnt-be-shocking.html

andymays
10-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Rinterval scratches late. :eek:

TheGrandDesign
10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Mike Smith may be the only thing that gets her beat.

jognlope
10-02-2010, 07:24 PM
WOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

cpitt84
10-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Mike Smith may be the only thing that gets her beat.

why is that?

born2ride
10-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Incredible win and record, she sure had to work for the win though.

bks
10-02-2010, 07:29 PM
last 5/16 in sub 29? Words really fail.

Nice tightener. ;)

eastie
10-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I would have loved to have seen PA and TLG's faces during the race....first no expression. On the turn, the resigned that she was gonna win look. 1/8th pole a smile begins, then a big smile cause they think she's gonna get beat. Then the oh oh it's gonna be close look. Then the big frown when she swallowed her look. The song remains the same. Next stop Churchill Downs to shut the non believers up once and for all.

redshift1
10-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Funny and so apropos.

Dahoss9698
10-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes, what an impressive run. Beating Switch (who?) barely, while giving her 3 lousy pounds.

We're going to need a suicide watch around here when she's off the board in the Classic.

BluegrassProf
10-02-2010, 07:36 PM
WOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!I said the same exact thing!!

Then, after LaL's race, I watched Zenyatta's, in which I was completely unsurprised. Good for them...cookie-cutter stuff, but a win's a win [anymore].

Here's definitely looking forward to the BC. :ThmbUp:

RXB
10-02-2010, 07:36 PM
last 5/16 in sub 29? Words really fail.

Nice tightener. ;)

Low 29, I think, not sub-29.

bigmack
10-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Yes, what an impressive run. Beating Switch (who?) barely, while giving her 3 lousy pounds.

We're going to need a suicide watch around here when she's off the board in the Classic.
Isn't there some natural buffer time after a race before this begins?

redshift1
10-02-2010, 07:37 PM

Great result for the BC and racing.

Dahoss9698
10-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Isn't there some natural buffer time after a race before this begins?

I don't know...chastise Eastie and then I'll think about it.

Dahoss9698
10-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Great result for the BC and racing.

Agreed....and her consistency is just remarkable. I mean that sincerely. It's just too bad she has been coddled for so long.

InsideThePylons-MW
10-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Low 29, I think, not sub-29.

I thought I saw they came 29.1 on the board....if that's the case, she came about 28.3.

redshift1
10-02-2010, 07:41 PM
what were the splits

bigmack
10-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't know...chastise Eastie and then I'll think about it.
He's a Teamster. They're always over-the-top.

BluegrassProf
Agreed....and her consistency is just remarkable. I mean that sincerely.And it should be noted, so do I. Lots of other stuff to look for, certainly, but hey - glass is half full. :ThmbUp:

TheGrandDesign
5 and change the last 16th,not many horses can do that.

andymays
what were the splits

Bananas. The only one that had a shot scratched. ;)

bks
Dahoss wrote:

Dahoss, barely is the difference between your name being what it is, and it being Hawksley Hill. That's more like barely. For Zenyatta, this was routine.

Zero pace to run at, and widest again whilte spotting two lengths in the final furlong to a horse that looks like she'll be a very good one. I thought she was beat. Then, she went into "inhale mode".

tzipi
10-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Agreed....and her consistency is just remarkable. I mean that sincerely. It's just too bad she has been coddled for so long.

I agree. She is coddled but her consistency is great. I mean they put her in filly and mare fields she towers above in talent every race but she has such great talent to beat them everytime. You surely have to agree with that. NO congrats to her connections but by all means..... Congrats to Zen!!!!! :) She does what is asked of her everytime.

Dahoss9698
10-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Dahoss, barely is the difference between your name being what it is, and it being Hawksley Hill. That's more like barely. For Zenyatta, this was routine.

Zero pace to run at, and widest again whilte spotting two lengths in the final furlong to a horse that looks like she'll be a very good one. I thought she was beat. Then, she went into "inhale mode".

The first part was clever, I'll give you credit for that. However I was a Dahoss fan long before '98 and even if he had lost that BC, it still would have been my name.

Switch, switched leads on to the wrong one in the last 1/16th and that is when Zenyatta made up all of the ground. Had she stayed on the correct lead, it would have been a head bob IMO. I know people say she runs to her competition, but to me that's a cop out. She's barely beating inferior foes. Doesn't bode well for Churchill IMO....if she makes it.

Dahoss9698
10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I read on another board that before the race Eric Reed was interviewed. Apparently they needed 24 hour security because they had gotten some death threats on Rinterval. crazy stuff...

RXB
10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I thought I saw they came 29.1 on the board....if that's the case, she came about 28.3.

29.9 is what I saw.

InsideThePylons-MW
10-02-2010, 07:54 PM
29.9 is what I saw.

That's possible....showing race fractions doesn't seem to be of much importance to anybody showing races.

InsideThePylons-MW
10-02-2010, 08:00 PM
29.9 is what I saw.

Yep....29.4

1:13.06 looked like 1:13.66

Hanover1
10-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Now, its just matter of time.... ;)

Stillriledup
10-02-2010, 09:25 PM
If I had two in the race I would definitely use one of them to go head and head with Zenyatta early even though she's in last place. Zenyatta is usually relaxed and alone for the first half of the race but I believe if someone runs head and head with her early Smith will try to get away from the horse and move too early. Zenyatta won't be as comfortable in the first half of the race.

Of course she's supposed to win but what tactics would you use to try and beat her if you had two in the race?

This is an interesting idea, she usually drops back and runs by herself in the back. Who knows what happens if she has a horse right along side her.

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I read on another board that before the race Eric Reed was interviewed. Apparently they needed 24 hour security because they had gotten some death threats on Rinterval. crazy stuff...Seriously?

InsideThePylons-MW
10-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Seriously?

Yes....he said it on ESPN's broadcast

Dahoss9698
10-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Seriously?

Yeah, I guess he was interviewed on ESPN Classic. I turned it on as they were going into the gate so I missed it. But I just googled it and there was a thread about it on TVG.

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2010, 10:44 PM
What was the reason for Rinterval scratching? It says vet scratch on the charts...

tzipi
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
What was the reason for Rinterval scratching? It says vet scratch on the charts...

Rinterval flipped in the paddock.

OntheRail
10-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Rinterval flipped in the paddock.
I did not know of the threat against her but thought it very odd that she flipped... and wonder if some nut did not do something to cause that.

Now with the news of the threat I'd really like to know.

Shame what fanatics will stoop to to protect their obsession. :mad:

I hope they go over her with a fine tooth comb.

Any news on her condition?

WinterTriangle
10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I did not know of the threat against her but thought it very odd that she flipped... and wonder if some nut did not do something to cause that.

Yes somebody caused her to flip in the paddock. :bang:

Innocent question, have you ever been backside, esp. on a huge raceday with a horse like Rachel Alexandra or Zenatta on the premises? not to mention BC hopefuls?

KingChas
10-02-2010, 11:08 PM

Watching ESPN the (owner/trainer?) said when she entered the paddock Zenyatta fans started screaming at her,which was not a problem until they started holding up the Zenyatta signs as she went by, which totally freaked her (No BS) and she flipped hitting her head very hard.
Hence he scratched her as a precaution.Had a cut on her leg also.

bigmack
10-02-2010, 11:10 PM

Now with the news of the threat I'd really like to know.

Shame what fanatics will stoop to to protect their obsession. :mad:

I hope they go over her with a fine tooth comb.

A conspiracy theorem all in one post. :sleeping:

pandy
10-02-2010, 11:26 PM
The main concern to me in the Classic will be the track. Churchill Downs has on occasion souped up their track for big days, the same way other tracks do (Gulftreamcomes to mind, Aqueduct main track too) and a hard fast track can favor speed and make it extremely difficult for a deep closer like Zenyatta. I applaud Monmouth for changing their track from a black top highway to a sustained surface. Speed biased tracks are terrible for major stakes races.

OntheRail
10-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Yes somebody caused her to flip in the paddock. :bang:
Well kinda seems that way... more then one. :rolleyes:
Watching ESPN the (owner/trainer?) said when she entered the paddock Zenyatta fans started screaming at her,which was not a problem until they started holding up the Zenyatta signs as she went by, which totally freaked her (No BS) and she flipped hitting her head very hard.
Hence he scratched her as a precaution.Had a cut on her leg also.
I'm sure it was a bit more then just holding them up. Well I hope she'll be fine... too bad it happened.

Innocent question, have you ever been backside, esp. on a huge raceday with a horse like Rachel Alexandra or Zenatta on the premises? not to mention BC hopefuls?

WT I've owned horse and know they just don't flip for no reason something causes them to react... See KingChas's post.

A conspiracy theorem all in one post. :sleeping:

Hey threats had been made and something happened to the horse that caused it to flip. Fanatics waving signs and screaming in the face of the horse like she could read them. But she could pick up the hatred all around her. Shame on them all the same. Like I said to bad for her but I hope she'll be fine.

bigmack
10-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Hey threats had been made and something happened to the horse that caused it to flip. Fanatics waving signs and screaming in the face of the horse like she could read them. But she could pick up the hatred all around her. Shame on them all the same.
Threats? That was just silly:
http://community.tvg.com/t5/TVG-Viewer-Mailbox/Rinterval-connections-recieved-death-threats/m-p/334210

DaHoss9698 brought that up and it was silly on his part. I just hope DaHoss9698'sDad doesn't call me to task on it.

Waving signs at a horse and questioning whether the 'sign-wavers' knew the horse couldn't understand the sign?

This is getting rich.

Somebody get Oliver Stone on the phone.

KingChas
10-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Well kinda seems that way... more then one. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it was a bit more then just holding them up. Well I hope she'll be fine... too bad it happened.

WT I've owned horse and know they just don't flip for no reason something causes them to react... See KingChas's post.

Hey threats had been made and something happened to the horse that caused it to flip. Fanatics waving signs and screaming in the face of the horse like she could read them. But she could pick up the hatred all around her. Shame on them all the same. Like I said to bad for her but I hope she'll be fine.

He said it had something to do with the signs,and yes he was informed of death threats to the horse.

This is really sad of Cal fans,just so you know most of the sign holders were not males that I saw on ESPN Classic.

The bad thing is if they were wacking the signs on a fence,it must have sounded like m-80's going off.

I don't know if that was the case but appearantly Zenyatta has more class than some of her hometown fans.

tubesockshakur
10-03-2010, 12:15 AM

We're going to need a suicide watch around here when she's off the board in the Classic......wont happen.

OntheRail
10-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Waving signs at a horse and questioning whether the 'sign-wavers' knew the horse couldn't understand the sign?

Hey they don't call California The Land of Fruits & Nuts for nothing.

And some are fanatic about Zenyatta. ;)

z-A1ps_m7Jk

Anyone else catch this guy? He was shown again today all red faced yelling... he should get an agent. Or maybe he already has one that's way he keeps popping up. :lol:

letswastemoney
10-03-2010, 01:06 AM
So how many more horses are Zenyatta fans going to "eliminate" at Churchill?

We already know Quality Road is claustrophobic and an easy target.

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Rinterval flipped in the paddock.I was on the road when Zenyatta was racing, so I had my DVR set to tape TVG...when I got home, I fast forwarded to the actual race (skipped all the pre-race coverage), so I had no idea what happened to Rinterval. Hope she's ok...

Dahoss9698
10-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Threats? That was just silly:
http://community.tvg.com/t5/TVG-Viewer-Mailbox/Rinterval-connections-recieved-death-threats/m-p/334210

DaHoss9698 brought that up and it was silly on his part. I just hope DaHoss9698'sDad doesn't call me to task on it.

This is getting rich.

Somebody get Oliver Stone on the phone.

How was it silly on my part? Eric Reed, the trainer of Rinterval talked about it on air. Steve Crist wrote about it in his blog.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/gold-cup-day-2010

I thought it was interesting. Apparently I wasn't the only one.

KingChas
10-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I was on the road when Zenyatta was racing, so I had my DVR set to tape TVG...

Don't think it was on TVG.(?)
It was Jeannine Edwards interviewing trainer Eric Reed as the horses came on the track for the Lady's Secret on the ESPN Classic telecast.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Don't think it was on TVG.(?)
It was Jeannine Edwards interviewing trainer Eric Reed as the horses came on the track for the Lady's Secret on the ESPN Classic telecast.I know...but it was also mentioned on TVG that Rinterval was scratched because of a paddock accident, which I was unaware of...I only knew she was scratched, I didn't know why...because I had only watched the actual race, and none of the pre-race coverage.

bigmack
10-04-2010, 12:30 AM
I thought it was interesting. Apparently I wasn't the only one.
Fair point. The menacing affair took a turn to the melodramatic in light of the paddock flip. I retract my accusation of you being silly.

eastie
10-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I would have loved to have seen PA and TLG's faces during the race....first no expression. On the turn, the resigned that she was gonna win look. 1/8th pole a smile begins, then a big smile cause they think she's gonna get beat. Then the oh oh it's gonna be close look. Then the big frown when she swallowed her look. The song remains the same. Next stop Churchill Downs to shut the non believers up once and for all.

i forgot....duh hoss and cj's faces also.......undefeated like Rocky Marciano

Dahoss9698
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
i forgot....duh hoss and cj's faces also.......undefeated like Rocky Marciano

More like Floyd Mayweather....avoiding top competition.

cj
10-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Not sure why you mention me. I watched the race, I never thought she was beat...didn't even care really. What would her losing to mediocre horses on her preferred surface have proven other than she wasn't herself?

You still mad I pointed out you don't know how to read a chart?