PDA

View Full Version : software or not?

dav4463
09-07-2003, 02:56 PM
I do not use software. I like to mark the form in an old-fashioned red ink, blue ink, etc... way. I don't really understand computers anyway and I think for me the time spent figuring out how to use software would take longer than handicapping my own way. My major problem is record-keeping. I have stacks of notebooks that I have to update weekly and I know software would help there. Conversely, reviewing my records by hand sometimes points out some things I need to change. Is it time to move into the 21st century and start using software or is it better to stick with what you know? I'm interested, but not ready to take the plunge yet. IF I decided to buy software, what is the best way to start?

kenwoodallpromos
09-08-2003, 12:50 AM
Bris is most popular here. Ultimate pp's are my choice. Also go to All-ways website to see how they produce factors.

BillW
09-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by dav4463
I do not use software. I like to mark the form in an old-fashioned red ink, blue ink, etc... way. I don't really understand computers anyway and I think for me the time spent figuring out how to use software would take longer than handicapping my own way. My major problem is record-keeping. I have stacks of notebooks that I have to update weekly and I know software would help there. Conversely, reviewing my records by hand sometimes points out some things I need to change. Is it time to move into the 21st century and start using software or is it better to stick with what you know? I'm interested, but not ready to take the plunge yet. IF I decided to buy software, what is the best way to start?

Dave,

Why "take the plunge"? Start off slow, maybe find a friend that knows how to use excel/access and have him/her help you set up a record keeping spreadsheet or database. Then go from there as your comfort level dictates. Remember, the computer is a tool, not an end unto itself. Do not change your handicapping approach just because you feel compeled to use a computer. Look for ways that the computer can enhance the handicapping process that you use today. Maybe by using the DRF formulator, you may find it easier than the hardcopy DRF without changing your handicapping approach. There are plenty of formulator users on the board that are more familiar with its features than I am that can explain its operation.

Good luck,

Bill

Handle
09-08-2003, 01:57 AM
I'm quite biased, but anyone who makes copious records, as you allude to, DESERVES to use some kind of software to help them out. Seriously, the difference is between using a handsaw and a chain saw for that sort of thing. Of course, some folks would prefer the handsaw for various reasons.

How to get started... It's a huge pain for me. I hate that aspect of this great country. Was in the hardware store today trying to figure out what stuff I needed to "revitalize" my deck -- what a pain. They had twenty different cans of stuff for what, to me, looked like the same thing.... You need some good, qualified advice. I can only offer two bits worth since I'm not that qualifed:

A) Stay away from EquiSim version 4.0. It has a whole new wager/selection analysis/recording whatchamacallit feature to it but it is still in Beta and if you're not big into computers you don't need the headaches (or maybe that's when you need them?). Nonetheless, the record keeping stuff is pretty cool, but it needs to be more thoroughly tested.

B) "Bettor Keep Track" -- the old standby, perhaps the only complete wagering record keeping software for handicappers on the marker (?). Has some serious ??? in regards to having to enter the data for each race type by hand, but will do the job.

C) If you can grok a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel, this might be the way to go. Or even a DB interface such as Access. The big difference here is that you'll have to set it up yourself, wherease a "handicapping program" will have an interface for doing just this set up for you. Of course, if you set it up yourself you'll have more freedome in designing how it works and what it does.Given that you're the type of person that keeps records to begin with, this might be the route for you. There's a big upfront learning curve if you're not familiar with compturers -- let alone spread sheets and/or db interfaces to begin with -- but given your propensity for detail you just might enjoy it.

-Nathan

Valuist
09-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Dav4463--

I'm with you on this. I do not use any software. I think there's too many variables that software cannot account for. As for relying on teletimers, many of them make mistakes.

Derek2U
09-08-2003, 08:08 PM
DAV ... I assume U don't DownLoad pps? If U want to keep tabs
on outcomes, payoffs, factors that U measure, the BEST thing is
for U to get a customized program. It's NOT 2 pricey & if U hire
the right guy, U will be happy. But 2 things: make sure U get
the RIGHT guy, VERY preferably with racing knowledge & make
sure U specify, on paper, what it is U want BEFORE he starts to
program for U. The more U work to write what U really want, b4
the programmer enters the scene, the cheaper it will cost & the
happier U will be. And just putting UR wishes on paper is great
by itself.

dav4463
09-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am about as computer illiterate as I can be ! I thought it was a big step for me to start downloading the DRF rather than buying the paper copy ! I am going slow...at least I don't have to call 900 numbers for results anymore !

hurrikane
09-09-2003, 07:38 AM
you might just want to start out easy. If you go to fast you will get frustrated.

Not sure what kind or computer or software you have but you can keep records in excel or access fairly easy. Once you get them in there just ask and I"m sure any number of people up here will help out.

As for handicapping software, find something that fits your style of play, speed, pace, drf, whatever. Insist on great training and a good support group to get you going. I would also insist on a trial version to see if it is something you can work with before you get into spending money.

Also, very important, how much does the data cost. Do you play every day or only weekends. Are you going to build a db or not.
Some data costs 14 bucks a track..some are 50 cent. Same friggin data too...just kills me.

Good luck..don't be afraid to ask questions.