PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Raceway Picks, Saturday, October 2

Teach
10-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Freehold Raceway, Saturday, October 2:

Race 1:

I'm leaning in the direction of #4 Special Strides with Harry Landy. This horse ain't no stickout. Frankly, Harry Landy ain't a household name (I think he drives down in Maryland). Yet, this horse may be just good enough to take it all. My rationale: (1) This colt is very well bred, e.g., Camotion, Jenna's Beach Boy; (2) He's been lightly raced (it could mean they're bringin' him along slowly; on the other hand, it could also mean that there have been problems; (3) It looks like this colt has a good turn of early foot; if he can tuck in second or third, he can be a most significant factor in this race; (4) He just missed last week to the longshot, Three Ten; (Any kind of decent handling and this colt should be right there at the wire).

Race 2:

Me Thinks the double will by 44 (we ain't talkin' oversized tires). This is another wide open race. I'm leaning toward #4 Mon Ami Hall. Why? The Mainer, Gary Mosher, is most capable. Just a few years ago, he was one of the leading drivers at Scarborough, like Jason Bartlett and Ted Wing, before him. If he runs the race he did on September 4th, I think he can take it. The pace of the race will determine a lot. He'll need a reasonably fast pace up front to set up a stretch-winning drive. I think he was overmatched last week, but he can take it all, here.

Race 3:

I like #1 Totally De Vie. Andy Ray Miller, "The Orange Crush," is in the bike; that's a big plus. So is the #1 starting post. So too is the fact that the trainer, Taylor Gower, is not driving, but instead, one of the best reinsman in North America. I must profess the fact that this horse is 1 for 20 this year is not very reassuring; yet with the best of trips he can have his picture taken.

Race 4:

Andy Ray right back with #2 Cam's Conqueror. The horse has been 3rd and 1st in his last two in this company. No reason to believe he can't end up in the winner's circle.

Race 5:

I like #4 Painted Black with Dave Miller. This well-bred 2-year-old colt looks primed for another win (won his last). Looks to be rounding into form. May well be "on the engine."

Race 6:

In this wide open race I'm leaning toward the #4 Miffed The Boat. This horse, on his best effort, is capable of winning here. The pace of the race will be everything. This horse will need speedy fractions up front to clear the way of a big, closing kick.

Race 7:

In this race, I like #3 Midnight Owl N. This New Zealand-bred just missed last time (I recall he was parked out nearly the entire mile, yet Andy Ray kept him together). I think today is his day. Andy Miller in the bike certainly helps. He'll need to stay flat at the start. If he does, I think he can take it.

Race 8:

I like #1 The Bad Deputy with Steve Smith. I picked him last week, but he finished second. I don't think you'll get the odds that you got last week. The rail is a big plus. This horse moves up a bit, but I believe he's rounding into top form. In his last, the horse was parked out for nearly the entire last half-mile. He was lightly raced as a 3-year-old and, as cited, may well be rounding into winning form.

Race 9:

In this race,. I like#1 Real Classwith Steve Smith. This horse fits well in this company. He benefits from the #1 starting post. He's only won 3 of 61 races in the past two years; that's not very reassuring. Yet, with the right trip he can take it all.

Race 10:

I like #2 JM Rambo. This is my longshot pick of the day. I will be even more confident if Steve Smith wins the previous two races. This horse has a degree of back-class (he's faced better in the past). He deserves consideration.

Race 11:

In this race, I like #2 Raider's Match with Jim Pantaleano. Last time, this horse finished out of the money - in slightly higher company - albeit from the #7 hole. This time the horse is back down with the company he can handle. He's won in 7 of 18 tries this year.

Race 12:

#2 Beliefs In Town looks like the best bet of the afternoon. Looks most solid in this field. All that's seems necessary is careful handling.

Race 13:

In the finale, I'm leaning toward the #6 Creased Card with Steve Smith. It may take a very good trip, but this horse easily won his last.

N.B.: As always, these suggested picks are for amusement purposes. I recommend that you do your own due diligence.

Ray2000
10-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Nice call on Rambo.....$19.00:ThmbUp: