PDA

View Full Version : Recommend software please?

Ed Hutchens
09-05-2001, 10:23 PM
I have been looking for good software that uses a database or neural network. I am not a dreamer and know that the good ones mean you have to work at it. I was looking at hsh, htr, and neurax pro. I went against neurax because the data files are so expensive at $7 a track a day. I went against htr (for now) because they have it in six or seven dos programs and windows 9x has been out for six years. I don't see why they haven't been combined into a windows 9x program in six years. They say they are doing that now, but I want to see it happen first. I was leaning to hsh because of the good reviews here, even though it costs over $500 dollars. But now that all the inconsistencies have been brought to light, that's out. I mean I don't want to spend $500 bucks for a program with no help files and whose author can't remember what buttons do and won't answer simple questions about things he said or did here or someplace else.

Can anybody recommend software besides those three that uses either a database or a neural network and that works for somebody willing to work with it?

GR1@HTR
09-05-2001, 11:20 PM
www.handi2k.com

Dick Schmidt
09-06-2001, 03:33 AM
Ed,

A lot of people get the wrong impression of HSH. True it does not have a formal manual, but it does have a lot of help files and a huge database of questions and discussions on its BBS. It isn't as easy to learn as many other programs, but that is as much because it is a big, robust program offering a plethora of options, not due to defects in documentation.

Not sure what you mean that the author can't remember what buttons do. Dave Schwartz lives this program and knows it inside out. Though he might not be able to recall the formula used for some obscure function in the program without looking it up, that doesn't mean that he doesn't know his stuff. Also, Dave is always open to answer questions, ask any of his users. He spends at least 20 hours a week on the phone with users answering questions, plus runs the best program support BBS in the industry. The only questions he ignores are posted on Yahoo.

The reason a lot of people are afraid of HSH is stability. They want a program that is fully developed and polished, yet at the same time is on the cutting edge and producing huge profits. Not gonna happen. HTR is an example of a good, stable program, but no one would call it cutting edge. Got great docs and support, however.

HSH is cutting edge, and because of it is in an almost constant state of flux. It is changing frequently to attempt to stay ahead of the pack. Dave is currently adding a modified neural network AI feature that is years ahead of anything else on the market. And no, it doesn't have a manual. He'll do a workshop and make a video tape, but assumes his users are bright enough to make it work. Eventually the users will conduct a through exchange of ideas on the BBS and develop a full understanding of this aspect of the program. Either that or wait for a manual in a year or so.

Anyway, my point is that I don't think HSH is the right program for many (most?) people, but not for any of the reasons you state. Give the BBS (www.horsestreet.com) a look to get a real flavor of the program and its users.

Dick

Slider
09-06-2001, 05:03 AM
Here you go.

Uses artificial intelligence to select winning horses
Contains five professionally trained and tested neural networks
Ability to create/train your own neural networks
Automatically maintains database for profit/loss analysis
Predicts complete order of finish - great for betting exotics!
Uses low-cost $1 ThoroNET data files (*.tnt)

And better yet it is FREE.

You also need the two bit (25 cents) exotic results files. It comes with a manual. Easy to learn and even easier to use. Sorry no demo but the dollar files will also print you out full past performances like a racing form.
the result files are used for training.

System Requirements:

IBM PC or PC Compatible (486DX or higher processor, Pentium recommended), 8MB RAM, 50 MB free disk space, mouse, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT.

Standard "ThoroNET"
get it at Tsnhorse.com look under free software.

I even know a man who has used this software on and off for over 3 years. Plus he prints the past performances. He is an exotic player and bets exactas, trifectas, pick 3's, doubles, etc. I have seen the winning tickets he plays. He is excellent at making up the wagers. Covers the programs contenders and throws in the suggested longshots. He has cashed some big ones that required signing up at the IRS windows.

I dabbled with it 3 years ago and it was OK but not my cup of tea.

Give it a look, all you can lose is a buck for the pp's and a quarter for the result file.

NoDayJob
09-06-2001, 07:25 PM
Check out Phantom's 'Slicker Quicker Pony Picker' over at the Yahoo board. He claims 90% winners and the price is right. I think was listed at inches off your wallet. Heh heh GFL -NDJ

mac
09-07-2001, 12:26 AM
What is this Yahoo board everyone keeps refering to?

NoDayJob
09-07-2001, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by mac
What is this Yahoo board everyone keeps refering to?

I'm not sure "what" is the correct terminology. Anyhoo, it is run by two goof-balls who love to poke fun at everyone and everything. Not much in the way of handicapping stuff except at the beginning. Good for laughs and great for food fights. "Tell you mother, I not speaking to her", "Tell you father I'm not speaking to him" kind of format. In the words of one poster "Trash and cash" -NDJ

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/horseplayersunited

Larry Hamilton
09-07-2001, 12:28 PM
"poke fun?", so how come those who have been targeted ain't laughing....

What you guys do over there is not fun, it's malicious and uncivilized. You have decided the limits at which your fun is humourous and when it turns to perversion...What gives you the right to determine that?

This is why, in a nutshell, I loathe these guys. They don't even admit they are hurting people. They are having fun so it must be ok..

andicap
09-07-2001, 12:57 PM
Larry,
I guess the best way to deal with that sort of stuff is to remain anonymous. So Carl took a shot at me this week. Who cares? if I choose to I'll rip him back; So far, I haven't had the time, energy or desire to do so. it's really just a matter of fun.

I agree with you about the more malicious stuff, especially about PA. (As for Dave Schwartz, while I like Dave and respect all the hard work he does, if you go public on a board like PA's in order to sell some software -- and he has made some sales from this board -- you've got to expect flack. I do abhor the fact that these people don't have the guts to give their real names in attacking Dave, but instead hide behind these "clones" and other personas. Trash talk is one thing, but attacking someone anonymously I think is more than just bad taste -- they'll admit they are in bad taste -- it is scurrilous and I should say unmanly. It's cowardly is what it is.)
I also think its malicious for their members to come on here and insult Dick Schmidt, who again, at least is using his real name unlike others who hide behind aliases. Easy to be a big man when no one knows who you are.
It's like the Drudge Report -- he just writes what he wants without any facts or proof backign him up. It's the problem with the Internet.
I choose to remain as anonymos as possible but I'm not insulting anyone. (The one time I did attack someone on Prodigy -- real names only on that board -- it backfired on me bigtime, but that's another story, right PA?)

Yes, they all despise PA because he kicked them off this board. My view is PA is paying for this board (Echoes of Reagan in 1980 in New Hampshire debate, "I paid for this microphone...")
so he can do what he wants. the Yahoo people don't want to run a board like PA's....they want to talk trash. I don't think anyone takes what they say seriously anyway.

It's actually a credit to PA that they do put so much energy into insulting him.

I'm fairly certain someone will respond to this on Yahoo but who cares.

Tom
09-07-2001, 03:47 PM
Good point, andicap-as long it is a free board to us, then PA has every right to do whatever he wants. He is giving us the priveledge, not the right to come here and talk, yell, cry, kick, scream, whatever. When we cross the line, we get bumped back. No problem.
When you go to YooHoo, act accordingly. But don't go there and start something you can't finish. That's their pond. Personally, I kind of like the place now-but I don't say too much over there. More like a brief escape from reallity. When I do post, I expect to get flamed.
When I am here, I try to act in an acceptable manner, same as at HTR. I go to HSH and read sometimes but I never post there because it their board and I am only a visitor there.

Tom 534

andicap
09-07-2001, 06:19 PM
Another thing,
I sent "ed" an email with my objective opinions about dave, HTR and HSH.
Never got an acknowledgement back from him, a thank you or any indication at all of such.
Maybe he never received it. Maybe he didn't really care about the my answer in the first place.

But "thank you" would have been nice.
If you didn't receive it "Ed," I'll be glad to resend it.

Moe Mony
09-08-2001, 12:59 AM
Mac,

That 'Yaaawho? Board' referred to, is for bottom-feeding fish. I've posted on the 'net for 5 years, in my early years, I fell into the trap of 'bottom-feeders', but then again, at that time, I WAS ONE TOO!!!(and, since, much reformed..and better off for it too...). Since, I've entered the listed stakes rank as far as a player goes, not quite 'graded' yet, but avoid the 'professional maidens' boards, (and DRF board is one of them too!): and as a result, advise you to stick with PA's board, as posts here over the years have sharpened my game......rather than serve as a time-consuming AND unnecessary distraction, towards that aim! AND TIME, IS MONEY, IN THIS GAME!