and will be bred to Curlin
http://twitter.com/joedrape

Do we call her Mrs Rachel A Curlin now?

MNslappy
09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
no way

Stevie Belmont
09-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Last two were tough races. I guess they feel she is not up to her 2009 level, so they will end it now. Although I have no idea at this point what the reason for her being retired today.

Too bad, would have liked to see her continue on in the Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic.

She has done things no other 3-year-old filly has done in the history of the sport. She was good for the game.

I Hope she has a happy retirement. I look forward to seeing her offspring run.

MNslappy
09-28-2010, 04:24 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/rachel-alexandra-retires/

:eek:

MNslappy
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM
“As you know, despite top training and a patient campaign, Rachel Alexandra did not return to her 2009 form. I believe it’s time to retire our Champion and reward her with a less stressful life. We are delighted that she will retire healthy and happy to our beautiful farm in Kentucky."

Robert Fischer
09-28-2010, 04:34 PM
terrible news.

I hope she is healthy and happy.
Really a shame she wasn't healthy and happy and prepping for the last race. :bang:

andymays
09-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Rachel Alexandra, 2009 Horse of the Year, is retired | Daily Racing Form

http://www.drf.com/news/rachel-alexandra-2009-horse-year-retired

MNslappy
09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
I shouldn't be shocked, for many different reasons, and yet, I am..

cpitt84
09-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Fastest time of 50 other workouts and she's retired? I kinda figured it would happen but I am still sad about it. I doubt a super racehorse will come from them anyway.

What sad news.

FenceBored
09-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok, that's weird. In training for a race this coming Saturday, works a bullet Monday morning, retired Tuesday afternoon with no mention of injury. Alrighty then.

Beachbabe
09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
RACHEL ALEXANDRA (Medaglia d'Oro), who became the first three-year-old filly in 65 years to be named Horse of the Year when earning the golden Eclipse Award in 2009, has been retired. Majority owner Jess Jackson made the announcement in a statement released Tuesday.

"As you know, despite top training and a patient campaign, Rachel Alexandra did not return to her 2009 form," Jackson said. "I believe it's time to retire our champion and reward her with a less stressful life. We are delighted that she will retire healthy and happy to our beautiful farm in Kentucky.

"Rachel Alexandra owes us nothing. As a three-year-old, she set standards and records that no filly before her ever achieved. And I suspect it will be quite a while before a three-year-old filly ever equals or surpasses her achievements."

cj
09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
She wasn't the same, and wasn't all year. About as close as she got was the Fleur de Lis and that was still several lengths off her best. Once she regressed off of that it wasn't looking good, and fast pace or not last time the old Rachel drowns Persistently.

Irish Boy
09-28-2010, 04:53 PM
This thread is going to be at least 8 pages long.

cpitt84
09-28-2010, 05:02 PM
As much as i know its the right move, it still stinks! It's tough to see any racehorse exiting this way.

DeanT
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Prolly, but I think a lot of people discounted it because the writing was on the wall, from about day one this year. This might be the least surprising news in racing this season if we think about it.

MNslappy
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM
CJ, you're right she was never the same after they brought her back from that long break.

Is it a physical thing or a mental thing?

It seems like the transition from brilliant 3 year old filly to mare is a difficult one for a lot of horses. What is it that happens? Do they lose their edge mentally and just don't have "it" anymore, or is it because of the physical maturation process?

tbwinner
09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Sure wish I laid odds on her now...

joanied
09-28-2010, 05:09 PM
no way

Way :faint: ;

http://drf.com/news/rachel-alexandra-2009-horse-year-retired

Irish Boy
09-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Prolly, but I think a lot of people discounted it because the writing was on the wall, from about day one this year. This might be the least surprising news in racing this season if we think about it.
It was true eventually. I think the timing is peculiar. A lot of people scoffed at retirement after the Personal Ensign.

I'm happy I got to see her run once, even if it was a second to Persistently. I'm not sure the BC Dirt Mile or the Distaff would have been out of her league, even on the current form, but they know better. Those Curlin babies are going to be awfully expensive.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 05:12 PM
This paves the way for Zenyatta to be named Horse-of-the-Year.

DeanT
09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
It was true eventually. I think the timing is peculiar. A lot of people scoffed at retirement after the Personal Ensign.

I'm happy I got to see her run once, even if it was a second to Persistently. I'm not sure the BC Dirt Mile or the Distaff would have been out of her league, even on the current form, but they know better. Those Curlin babies are going to be awfully expensive.

It can be argued it should have been done much sooner - but she's a horse and she can not speak. And JJ and SA probably hoped they could find out what is wrong and catch lightning in a bottle. I dont blame them for that at all. But after a little while it becomes not in the best interest of the horse - a horse that gave them everything she had and left her heart on the racetrack.

I will never, nor have I ever had a horse like her. But when I saw the look on her face at the wire last time, in a race which she should win with a fat man riding her, my heart would break and that would be it for me.

I applaud them for this decision. She does not, nor should she ever be, cheapened. She gave them too much.

DeanT
09-28-2010, 05:23 PM
I posted this before when thinking about her, but allow me again please. This is a happy, full-of-herself racehorse, enjoying what she does. This is the way to remember her, imo, not this years races.

6TJTnJSrSBc

Robert Fischer
09-28-2010, 05:23 PM
that, and Zenyatta's year, and Rachel's year

It also paves the way for all the win contenders in the classic to be a point or two higher.

FenceBored
09-28-2010, 05:24 PM

:rolleyes: Brilliant non-sequitur there, Chief.

Robert Fischer
09-28-2010, 05:25 PM
She really put on a show that day. :ThmbUp:

I posted this before when thinking about her, but allow me again please. This is a happy, full-of-herself racehorse, enjoying what she does. This is the way to remember her, imo, not this years races.

6TJTnJSrSBc

chickenhead
09-28-2010, 05:26 PM
It paves the way for me to be MVP of my softball league.*

* if I were in one.

tzipi
09-28-2010, 05:28 PM

I don't think RA was leading in the Horse of the Year poll up until this. Other big horses out there and some races left. Not sure how this paves the way for Zenyatta as HOY. Unless you meant paves the way for older female. Yes, this surely paves the way for that. But Zens is surely a lead contender for HOY as of now.

joanied
09-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Incredible :eek: ...she just worked the fastest of 48 others on Monday...why not have given her one more shot in the Beldame...she would not disgrace herself, even if she got beat again, she still would have been right there...I mean her loses this year have been close ones...and working like she has been, one more race would have done her no harm, IMO...this is just kinda screwy, if ya ask me!!
Something else is going on here...everyone knows JJ is in poor health, I wonder if he got some bad news and wants to be around to see the first born Curlin/Rachel foal...not such a crazy theory me thinks.
If she was injured, they'd say so...that would be a perfect explanation for them to retire her so abruptly, but they said she's sound and healthy.
And if they'd get her to the BC Distaff, at Churchill, with Mr. Churchill aboard...IMO, she'd probably win.

I don't know, I just don't get it...but, if this will make HER happy, that's what matters...she still might be soured from last year, but her works show otherwise...and I still think if they'd rested her last year at the farm, where it really would have been R&R for body & mind, rather than leave her at the track...maybe things would be different...all water under the bridge...

I hope they give her a great farewell...they should bring her downstate to Belmont on Beldame Day, parade her for the fans...give her a great send off because she deserves that...not to be whisked away to the farm with no 'going away party'...

so, this is the end to the story of Rachel A....a true Champion, one of the greatest 3 year old fillies of all time, a horse that gave fans coast to coast thrills and chills... the one that 'rocked the rafters at Saratoga'...

I wish you well Rachel girl...things might not seem right for a while, but once that baby hits the ground, and your nose touches his in the dim light of morning, you will once again be fufilled.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Incredible :eek: ...she just worked the fastest of 48 others on Monday...why not have given her one more shot in the Beldame...she would not disgrace herself, even if she got beat again, she still would have been right there...I mean her loses this year have been close ones...and working like she has been, one more race would have done her no harm, IMO...this is just kinda screwy, if ya ask me!!
Something else is going on here...everyone knows JJ is in poor health, I wonder if he got some bad news and wants to be around to see the first born Curlin/Rachel foal...not such a crazy theory me thinks.
If she was injured, they'd say so...that would be a perfect explanation for them to retire her so abruptly, but they said she's sound and healthy.
And if they'd get her to the BC Distaff, at Churchill, with Mr. Churchill aboard...IMO, she'd probably win.

I don't know, I just don't get it...but, if this will make HER happy, that's what matters...she still might be soured from last year, but her works show otherwise...and I still think if they'd rested her last year at the farm, where it really would have been R&R for body & mind, rather than leave her at the track...maybe things would be different...all water under the bridge...

I hope they give her a great farewell...they should bring her downstate to Belmont on Beldame Day, parade her for the fans...give her a great send off because she deserves that...not to be whisked away to the farm with no 'going away party'...

so, this is the end to the story of Rachel A....a true Champion, one of the greatest 3 year old fillies of all time, a horse that gave fans coast to coast thrills and chills... the one that 'rocked the rafters at Saratoga'...

I wish you well Rachel girl...things might not seem right for a while, but once that baby hits the ground, and your nose touches his in the dim light of morning, you will once again be fufilled.

Is Rachel Alexandra going to be bred to Curlin earlier than whatever was planned because she is retired now as opposed to the end of the year?

ArlJim78
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
No surprise to me. There was no way that she was going to compete at the top level anymore, so the time had come.

You can't take away those blistering races she ran as a 3yo. I've never seen a better campaign by a 3yo filly.

breezing
09-28-2010, 05:39 PM
i think RA is the same horse she has always been, they were looking to her to improve, which she didn't. she was as good as she was ever gonna get.

joanied
09-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Is Rachel Alexandra going to be bred to Curlin earlier than whatever was planned because she is retired now as opposed to the end of the year?

They will have to wind her down now...especially since she's been working regular as if she was to race again...I would think they'll keep her up there for a few weeks, give her some long, slow gallops to help her come down, then ship her to the farm...then she'll have time to adjust to being there, huge change of scenery & people for her, so she'll need a while to adjust to that...it's going to be stressful for her for a while...so, they are doing that part right...they'll want her happy and relaxed come breeding time...a stressed mare will not settle...and no doubt, they'd like to have her settle off her first cover.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
They will have to wind her down now...especially since she's been working regular as if she was to race again...I would think they'll keep her up there for a few weeks, give her some long, slow gallops to help her come down, then ship her to the farm...then she'll have time to adjust to being there, huge change of scenery & people for her, so she'll need a while to adjust to that...it's going to be stressful for her for a while...so, they are doing that part right...they'll want her happy and relaxed come breeding time...a stressed mare will not settle...and no doubt, they'd like to have her settle off her first cover.

You're incredible.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM

Parade her in front of the fans -- New Yorkers, at that -- who expected to see her race on the same day?

She'd get booed -- not that it is her fault -- and it would be a disastrous scene.

Roy C
09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Where are all the Zenyatta bashers who knew for certain she wouldn't run in the Classic this year? I thought everyone knew Jerry Moss was a coward and was going to retire Zenyatta anyday now. Where is everyone?? Fact is Mr. Jackson ducked out of Oaklawn and now will be missing in action in November and all the know it all's can enjoy their crow :D

FenceBored
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Where are all the Zenyatta bashers who knew for certain she wouldn't run in the Classic this year? I thought everyone knew Jerry Moss was a coward and was going to retire Zenyatta anyday now. Where is everyone?? Fact is Mr. Jackson ducked out of Oaklawn and now will be missing in action in November and all the know it all's can enjoy their crow :D

:confused: Thank you for sharing.

Robert Fischer
09-28-2010, 06:05 PM
the only reason to be upset is the virtual "REBATE" RA would have given you if she ran in the Classic. Rachel doesn't owe anybody, neither does J.J., SteveA, RA, Zenyay or Zenyatta, JJ Castellano, Blame, TheBeldame, LOL L.a.L., Borail or Botox or the Boston Red Sox...

Rumor has it Curlin wanted to take her to Avatar while it was still 3D-IMAX. They have a whole dating process to go through.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 06:08 PM

Which will be born sometime in 2012!

You might be on to something.

Jasonm921
09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
This blows! Especially this late in the year. I knew something was up when they worked her twice handily in the past few weeks. What was also weird was yesterday I had a sudden up surge in views on my Rachel pics on my Flickr site. I guess whoever knew about it yesterday started getting nostalgic by doing a search of all her photos on the web.

OntheRail
09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Well Zenyatta anit in the BCC gate yet so we'll hold off on the crow for now. ;)

This news really sux's she has been working well and was looking forward to her starting Saturday.

You could be onto something joanied maybe Jess wanted be around to see the offspring.

Thanks for the Memories Rachel A.

WinterTriangle
09-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Rachel doesn't owe anybody

We've had this conversation before. Of course she doesn't. Either does any horse.

As a matter of fact, if you sat on her back, whipped them, and made $$ off them, it is rather the opposite. The horses themselves are owed something. :)

Rumor has it Curlin wanted to take her to Avatar while it was still 3D-IMAX. They have a whole dating process to go through.

I can think of proven sires who I'd be more excited about covering RA. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

carlonr
09-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Amen! Answer: they are all hiding under the "best for the horse" blanket. As you know when it comes to RA, is "whats best for the horse". When its's Zenyatta though, the connections can never be doing what's best for their horse.

Hanover1
09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
First foal or 2 gonna be pricey, but my guess is she throws raceway horses at best. Had a few nice race fillys in my time, and its few and far between that they pass it along on the racetrack-they usually are noted well down the line as bloodstock, 2-3x down the maternal line......I wish her well, it was a great show.

Jasonm921
09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't buy the breeding angle. She still can't "see" Curlin until the beginning of the year. They gave her a few handily works to see if she regains her swiftness and it wasn't there. I would have been happy watching her run in her current form but what am I going to do. All this sport does is continue to annoy me. Her 3 year old year was fantastic however and produced wonderful memories.

Trotman
09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Who was better RA or Z, lets not miss what they did for all of us. I really can't get into this argument of who was better tho I formed an opinion last year placing RA as the best. In the end they both gave us moments. We are the fortunate ones who get to see these great horses and to this lets end the debate each one of these great horses overcome what was in front of them, the mark of a great horse. :ThmbUp:

carlonr
09-28-2010, 07:00 PM
To all of the Zenyatta bashers who berated me for stating numerous times on this board " RA will never face Zenyatta, and RA will never ever run in the BC Classic":

Maybe now you can understand that some people can see the handwriting on the wall long before it becomes fact!

:lol:

andymays
09-28-2010, 07:01 PM
To all of the Zenyatta bashers who berated me for stating numerous times on this board " RA will never face Zenyatta, and RA will never ever run in the BC Classic":

Maybe now you can understand that some people can see the handwriting on the wall long before it becomes fact!

Get over yourself Carlonr!

Cardus
09-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't buy the breeding angle. She still can't "see" Curlin until the beginning of the year. They gave her a few handily works to see if she regains her swiftness and it wasn't there. I would have been happy watching her run in her current form but what am I going to do. All this sport does is continue to annoy me. Her 3 year old year was fantastic however and produced wonderful memories.

My faith in Internet Land humanity has been restored.

Thanks.

carlonr
09-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Get over yourself Carlonr!

Andy, it is possible for someone else to be right, even when they don't agree with your opinions.

andymays
09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Andy, it is possible for someone to be right, even when they do share your opinions.

She wasn't the same as last year. What do you want them to do?

joanied
09-28-2010, 07:06 PM
You're incredible.

A cryptic reply at best.
???

Cardus
09-28-2010, 07:06 PM

My faith in Internet Land humanity is back where it was a few minutes ago.

Thanks.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
A cryptic reply at best.
???

Alright, I guess that we are tonight's entertainment.

Your idea that I highlighted is idiotic. Is that cryptic?

Rachel Alexandra can be retired in November and be bred to Curlin in the 2011 breeding season. Get it?

The resulting foal -- if she is in foal -- will be delivered in 2012. Get it?

joanied
09-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Parade her in front of the fans -- New Yorkers, at that -- who expected to see her race on the same day?

She'd get booed -- not that it is her fault -- and it would be a disastrous scene.

New Yorkers...I am a New Yorker...and she would not get booed...they may be a tough lot, but they would repsect the filly and treat her like the Champion she is!

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Hater

carlonr
09-28-2010, 07:12 PM
She wasn't the same as last year. What do you want them to do?

Last year or this year, RA was never a 1 1/4mile horse. As far as Zenyatta goes, The only way RA could ever possibly beat her would be in a match race.

I simply saying that my prediction came true. (A prediction I took considerable heat for) I also know by now that none of the people that gave me the heat will be posting any responses.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that a prediction not made by you was correct. If someone says its going to rain on the 3rd Wednesday in November in Podunk, Idaho, it either rains or it doesn't.

Sericm
09-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Let's face it, Rachel had an outstanding year for a 3 yr. old filly but it was also a campaign that broke her down.

She was bought by Jackson for his own ego and given a schedule that no 3 yr old filly ever should have been subjected to , that year of glory really cost them.

I hope the connections are happy, but was it worth it?

Dahoss9698
Last year or this year, RA was never a 1 1/4mile horse. As far as Zenyatta goes, The only way RA could ever possibly beat her would be in a match race.

I simply saying that my prediction came true. (A prediction I took considerable heat for) I also know by now that none of the people that gave me the heat will be posting any responses.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that a prediction not made by you was correct. If someone says its going to rain on the 3rd Wednesday in November in Podunk, Idaho, it either rains or it doesn't.

Maybe my memory is bad, but I don't recall you taking heat for this prediction. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but can you provide proof of this?

joanied
Which will be born sometime in 2012!

You might be on to something.

yeah, so:confused: ...

which leads me to this...I can 'hear' the sarcastic tone, Cardus...I thought since I've ignored you for so long, I could go ahead and reply to one of your posts...but maybe I was mistaken about that...

Cardus
09-28-2010, 07:15 PM
New Yorkers...I am a New Yorker...and she would not get booed...they may be a tough lot, but they would repsect the filly and treat her like the Champion she is!

Some people would boo, if not the horse herself, but the decision not to run.

People booed when Spectacular Bid entered the track for his 1980 Woodward Stakes walkover. Booed, lustily.

There would be some boos from the crowd on Saturday. No question about it.

Also, if Jess Jackson had received some bad medical news -- your speculation knows no bounds, by the way -- do you think that he is thinking of a foal that might or might not be born in 2012?

SmartyParty
09-28-2010, 07:15 PM
She really put on a show that day. :ThmbUp:

Ahhhh! You're right!

carlonr
09-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Hater

Not a hater. Just someone who recognizes the owners intentions regardless of what the press releases say.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Hater

Takes one to know one!

HuggingTheRail
09-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, FG has named a race in her honour, so I guess she will come out of retirement now....

Cardus
09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, FG has named a race in her honour, so I guess she will come out of retirement now....

Well played, sir.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Not a hater. Just someone who recognizes the owners intentions regardless of what the press releases say.

No one loves Carl quite like Carl does.

the little guy
09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Let's face it, Rachel had an outstanding year for a 3 yr. old filly but it was also a campaign that broke her down.

She was bought by Jackson for his own ego and given a schedule that no 3 yr old filly ever should have been subjected to , that year of glory really cost them.

She didn't break down.

The rest of your post is inaccurate as well.

thespaah
09-28-2010, 07:35 PM

She'd get booed -- not that it is her fault -- and it would be a disastrous scene.Um....Perhaps some care should be taken in your comments.
We New Yorkers are not the crass uncaring people you paint us to be.

joanied
09-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Alright, I guess that we are tonight's entertainment.

Your idea that I highlighted is idiotic. Is that cryptic?

Rachel Alexandra can be retired in November and be bred to Curlin in the 2011 breeding season. Get it?

The resulting foal -- if she is in foal -- will be delivered in 2012. Get it?

No $hit, sherlock!! The idea of them giving her plenty of time to wind down is not idiotic...have you ever been to a breeding operation...do you know anything about broodmares, especially maiden mares?

I am not anyone's entertainment...I answered your reply in good faith...and man, was that a mistake:bang:

andymays
09-28-2010, 07:37 PM

In 2009 RA beats Zenyatta on any dirt surface. Even if the track came up sloppy RA would have risen to the occasion and Zenyatta would have scratched. ;)

I am on record as wanting Rachel to retire after her first race back. Making a prediction that she would retire this year doesn't make you Nostradamus although you might like people to think that. You're beating your chest over nothing. Absolutley nothing.

Bullet Plane
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Her 3 year old campaign was one of the most thrilling that I have experienced as a horse racing fan! She will always be one of my all time favorites.

the little guy
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Um....Perhaps some care should be taken in your comments.

I guarantee Cardus is at Belmont a LOT more often than you are.

joanied
09-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Some people would boo, if not the horse herself, but the decision not to run.

People booed when Spectacular Bid entered the track for his 1980 Woodward Stakes walkover. Booed, lustily.

There would be some boos from the crowd on Saturday. No question about it.

Also, if Jess Jackson had received some bad medical news -- your speculation knows no bounds, by the way -- do you think that he is thinking of a foal that might or might not be born in 2012?

Everyone is speculating right now...trying to figure this out...and it's not impossible that he would want to be around for her first foal...yes, I think he's thinking about her foal...in fact, just about any owner that has a mare like that, and a stallion he adores, would be thinking about it.

And who's speculating on boos from the crowd? Guess you know everyone that will be there on Saturday:faint:

Robert Fischer
09-28-2010, 07:45 PM
I can think of proven sires who I'd be more excited about covering RA. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

NOT proven, and I believe he really got a bum rap as both his true abilities as a racehorse(he had female stamina damnit ;) ) but HARD SPUN is a nice match both on looks (when i see the two aesthetically next to one another or complimentary traits) and in terms of pedigree (although I don't know every little breeding "taboo"/faux pas to avoid!), But Hard Spun is cheap and he has a bunch of femail (tail-female line freudian slip?) stamina.
Their foal would be custom made for speed on the turf or dirt and would likely handle a track like Keeneland as well. Precocious speed and would develop into a router.

Curlin-Rachel may not be the most classy ever, but both Smart Strike and MedagliaDoro are pretty hawt ATM (again i don't know the little taboos and FxPs with various crosses) It doesn't appear to be that bad to me.

I think a lot of stallions could do ok with rachel provided they have much turf, or even a balance of some turf influence but not ruling-out dirt, and I think they need to provide some class. MDO is "fairly" classy and has a right to have some popularity, but I think a regally bred and/or grass influenced stallion would help.

If i were to pull a sire prospect out of my *(hat) Cafe Bostonian :eek: oooh woww!!!

bisket
09-28-2010, 07:49 PM
its hard to be a fan and bettor of this game and not love the horses that run and give themselves (all of themselves in many cases) to winning a race. i know many on this board took rachel into their heart. i know pa will probably hug his rachel stuffed animal extra tight tonight in bed ;) rachel definately deserved to be hoy last year, and it was fun to watch her race last year. it was evident from the very beginning she just wasn't the same horse this year. although i have thought all along zen was faster....

i wasn't looking forward to watching her finish 3rd or 4th in the ladies classic, and i'm glad they retired her. she deserves all the r&r thats coming her way.

BluegrassProf
09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
every. single. word.Astonishing! Took you all of 8 seconds to muck up the discourse with another big, bold, multicolored display of spiteful idiocy, in a thread marked by [mostly] good vibes. Consistency at its finest, and - despite what you're really thinking it is - about a hundred miles from a display of intellect.

Can't say I expected anything more from ya, Carl. At least you fit your bill nicely.

BluegrassProf
09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Back on-topic:

Despite admittedly looking forward to the BC, I'm thankful that Rach is headed back to Lexi all safe & sound. At the end of the day, that's a beautiful thing.

bks
09-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Andymays wrote:

In 2009 RA beats Zenyatta on any dirt surface.

Andy, you really should watch the 2009 Woodward sometime. Great race.

Hanover1
09-28-2010, 08:19 PM

I'll bite here........
I wouldn't apply for sainthhood any time soon.....It didn't take Jean Dixon to see this one coming......
For what its worth, Joanied seems to be one of the most devoted, and nice posters on this board, and does have some prior experience, hands on, (and not just tote tickets...) and as such, deserves no ridicule for her observations, however maligned from any others.....jmo of course.

joanied
09-28-2010, 08:30 PM

Needless to say, I ditto your post, thespaah...fact is, IMO, being a proud New Yorker...they would embrace her:ThmbUp:

nijinski
09-28-2010, 08:36 PM

Not bashing Zenyatta as I adore her as well , but the fact they never met was
not just on RA's end , as Zen's connections did not ship far and definately
avoided anything wet .

I'm hoping Rachel has a wonderfull life ahead of her and a very successful
one.
May she stay happy and most of all healthy!!!!

joanied
09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I'll bite here........
I wouldn't apply for sainthhood any time soon.....It didn't take Jean Dixon to see this one coming......
For what its worth, Joanied seems to be one of the most devoted, and nice posters on this board, and does have some prior experience, hands on, (and not just tote tickets...) and as such, deserves no ridicule for her observations, however maligned from any others.....jmo of course.

Thank you, Hanover1. Yes, I spent a decade at belmont Park, rubbi8ng horses, I also spent a few years on an Ocala breeding farm, and have my own horses...and from my TB mares, bred some really nice Appendix QH's...horses have been in my life since forever, and I ain't no spring chicken anymore:D ...
again, I appreciate your kind words:blush:
:)

Gotta go feed my mares now:jump:

Rackon
09-28-2010, 08:39 PM
No $hit, sherlock!! The idea of them giving her plenty of time to wind down is not idiotic...have you ever been to a breeding operation...do you know anything about broodmares, especially maiden mares?

As a former breeding manager, I quite agree.

Carlonr, it usually takes time and not just a change in routine for maiden race mares to become broodmares - this is just a fact. It's not as simple as yanking them off the track and shipping them off to the shed. They have to relax and learn to just be horses again - get off the training regime and..."whatever" etc. Get their hormones working and cycling normally, which a lot of race mares don't do.

Joanied, I was surprised to hear this announcement the day following a bullet work too...but...I can understand them wanting to wind her down sooner rather than later once the decision is made. They must have been doing some hard thinking.

Still...this news is disappointing for all of us fans, even though it's not exactly a unexpected. She sure gave us some thrills and chills - best 3YO filly campaign I remember. It would be wonderful if she could reproduce some of that.

Sericm
09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
She didn't break down.

The rest of your post is inaccurate as well.

What's inaccurate about it, I didn't mean physically broke her down. If you know anything about horse racing you know that fillys or mares that are subjected to races against males to often never recover from the stress. There may be exceptions but obviously Rachel wasn't one of them.

And if you don't believe that Jackson bought her for his own EGO, than you believe in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus!

the little guy
09-28-2010, 08:57 PM
What's inaccurate about it, I didn't mean physically broke her down. If you know anything about horse racing you know that fillys or mares that are subjected to races against males to often never recover from the stress. There may be exceptions but obviously Rachel wasn't one of them.

" Broke down " has a very specific meaning in horse racing.

I realize I don't know anything about horse racing, and I guess you just proved it, because in my opinion and experience the second sentence is BS. Convenient, perhaps, but inaccurate nonetheless. In Europe, where fillies and mares routinely run against males, unlike America, this is not at all true.

nijinski
09-28-2010, 09:02 PM

And if you don't believe that Jackson bought her for his own EGO, than you believe in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus!

Jackson is up there in age and not that physically well , at that point let him have some ego.
I really think he cares about Rachel a great deal though.

As far as chasing the boys , I agree it may have been tough on her , your
damned if you do or don't , many fans and reporters were begging for her to face the boys early on.

cj's dad
09-28-2010, 09:07 PM
I think I am pretty much done with horse racing after this. We never get to see top quality horses go forward with the exception of a few.

This has become a gambling venture- no more no less. There are no more CIGARS,

Robert Fischer
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM

the filly was running more than she naturally "wanted" long before jess jackson purchased her.

She was a big talent and an underachiever for a little while.
She WOKE-UP over the course of several mornings. There were some changes in her routine that coincided. Once she started reaching her potential she really entered the public eye and everyone knows the story.

DERBY GOOD??
Could she have beaten Mine That Bird in the Derby?? Well, that's a moot point, because Borel would have ridden Rachel, in effect costing Mine that Bird about 10-15 lengths. She would have probably gutted out the win against Pioneerof The Nile and co.

She sure devestated MineThatBird in the Preakness if evaluated in terms of performance, MTB having a big time advantage in tactics.

She was a something really special. I was fortunate to see her Mother Goose live and it was so impressive.

Once she was stopped(and she deserved the time off) there was clearly a very real chance that she wouldn't reach her previous plateau when she returned in 2010. No shame in that whatsoever. Cool filly.
Fun to see at her peak. Shes even fun to look at her speed and pace figures on paper. It reminds me of looking at a all star baseball player's statistics. They look good. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Where are all the Zenyatta bashers who knew for certain she wouldn't run in the Classic this year? I thought everyone knew Jerry Moss was a coward and was going to retire Zenyatta anyday now. Where is everyone?? Fact is Mr. Jackson ducked out of Oaklawn and now will be missing in action in November and all the know it all's can enjoy their crow :DNone of the Zenyatta bashers ever claimed that she wouldn't run in the Classic. What I said, and others said, is she SHOULDN'T run in the classic, because she can't win it...

Big difference there smokey...

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Amen! Answer: they are all hiding under the "best for the horse" blanket. As you know when it comes to RA, is "whats best for the horse". When its's Zenyatta though, the connections can never be doing what's best for their horse.What the heck are you talking about? Sounds like gibberish to me...maybe you're not completely out from under your rock yet?

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Andy, it is possible for someone else to be right, even when they don't agree with your opinions.But you weren't right about anything. What exactly were you right about? Even the Rachel supporters admitted Rachel wasn't running to her best form of 2009. So what are you tooting your horn about? Any idiot could have predicted this...hell, you guys were predicting this from her first race back this year...

You're finally right...how many tries did it take you? Congratulations! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2010, 09:31 PM

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that a prediction not made by you was correct. If someone says its going to rain on the 3rd Wednesday in November in Podunk, Idaho, it either rains or it doesn't.Man, this is lame...even for you...how's that for a response?

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I'll bite here........

I thought you weren't going to post anymore? Why the change of heart?

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2010, 09:37 PM
i wasn't looking forward to watching her finish 3rd or 4th in the ladies classic, and i'm glad they retired her.Is this you being a stand-up comedian?

The Hawk
09-28-2010, 09:39 PM

"Yankee fans" booed Jeter.

JustRalph
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
can't blame them a bit. Every time they go out they can get hurt. She had nothing to prove and the way she was being portrayed by some, they had nothing to gain. Why put her in jeopardy? I look forward to watching her Babies run.

In a couple years I will be cheering on the first little Rachel ...... and every year after for twenty more if I am lucky.............. :ThmbUp:

carlonr
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Man, this is lame...even for you...how's that for a response?

You and your cronies will go to any lengths to not give someone credit who is not a part of your 'good old boys" club. How you expect to be perfect is beyond me. You are never going to be right 100% of the time. One thing I can honestly say. If RA had done either one (beaten Zenyatta or won @ 1 1/4) I would have no problem saying "You guys were right, I was wrong" But then again, my ego does not demand that I be perfect.

carlonr
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM
But you weren't right about anything. What exactly were you right about? Even the Rachel supporters admitted Rachel wasn't running to her best form of 2009. So what are you tooting your horn about? Any idiot could have predicted this...hell, you guys were predicting this from her first race back this year...

You're finally right...how many tries did it take you? Congratulations! :lol:

Minor detail. Predicted this BEFORE here first race this year!!!

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
You and your cronies will go to any lengths to not give someone credit who is not a part of your 'good old boys" club. How you expect to be perfect is beyond me. You are never going to be right 100% of the time. One thing I can honestly say. If RA had done either one (beaten Zenyatta or won @ 1 1/4) I would have no problem saying "You guys were right, I was wrong" But then again, my ego does not demand that I be perfect.I don't even know what you're talking about. Who are you again?

good old boys club? I don't understand.

What are you claiming victory for again?

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Minor detail. Predicted this BEFORE here first race this year!!!So it took even more tries to get it right that I had originally thought. Again, why are you claiming victory and what have you won?

carlonr
09-28-2010, 09:55 PM
What the heck are you talking about? Sounds like gibberish to me...maybe you're not completely out from under your rock yet?

I am simply saying that a horse that was working great, giving no indications of physical problems is retired and the predominately east coast RA supporters quickly say "it what was best for the horse". However when The Zenyatta connections re-evaluated shipping after the way she handled the trip to Oaklawn doing what was "best for the horse" was ridiculed ad infinitum.

Grits
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
An extraordinary racehorse, one I've felt privileged to see enter the gate. One with a rare, seldom seen talent.

I can feel only gratitude toward the Jacksons and toward Steve Asmussen and his staff. It is wonderful to see her leave the track healthy and sound. I wish her well. And I wish her many long and loving days with her foals.

I'll miss her greatly; her talent and her beauty. What a gift she has been to all who follow and love thoroughbred racing.

Enjoy your new life, Rachel!

JustRalph
09-28-2010, 10:01 PM
My wife and I just watched this and It still gives me chills..........

Z6kMf6ODGjI

Tom Durkin is Brilliant in a few of these............

did anybody notice Barney Frank applauding along the rail in the gallop out after the Woodward ?

Grits
09-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Thank you, Ralph.

Maybe Carl will shut the hell up and watch.:faint:

It'd really be nice.

carlonr
09-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't even know what you're talking about. Who are you again?

good old boys club? I don't understand.

What are you claiming victory for again?

Plain and simple fact #1, "No way RA truns in the BCC". period. end of story. Been saying it for months.

Plain and simple fact #2, "The connections of RA wil duck any race on any surface tha Zenyatta is in. period. end of story. Been saying it since last year.

the little guy
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Plain and simple fact #1, "No way RA truns in the BCC". period. end of story. Been saying it for months.

Plain and simple fact #2, "The connections of RA wil duck any race on any surface tha Zenyatta is in. period. end of story. Been saying it since last year.

We get it....it's all about you.

However, the real question is....who cares?

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I suppose this is a glimpse into what message boards will look like if Zenyatta wins the Classic. Can't wait. :rolleyes:

Sericm
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
" Broke down " has a very specific meaning in horse racing.

I realize I don't know anything about horse racing, and I guess you just proved it, because in my opinion and experience the second sentence is BS. Convenient, perhaps, but inaccurate nonetheless. In Europe, where fillies and mares routinely run against males, unlike America, this is not at all true.

If you can't understand the context that I was using break down in, then thats your problem. Also in Europe they race mainly on grass and don't start running until the last eigth of a mile or so! And Rachel wasn't running in Europe!

carlonr
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
I suppose this is a glimpse into what message boards will look like if Zenyatta wins the Classic. Can't wait. :rolleyes:

NOT IF ....WHEN

carlonr
09-28-2010, 10:14 PM
We get it....it's all about you.

However, the real question is....who cares?

It's not about me. Rather it 's about readers not accepting everything spouted from an eastern biased "good old boys club" as gospel. While the majority were saying that she would be in the BCC, there were a minority that said no way... not a chance. I was not the only one, but the overwhelming majority kept (and keep) making excuses for RA, who was simply a great 3 year old horse with a campign that was not in her best interest. On the other hand, Zenyatta's connections have always stated that they are Breeders Cup people, and their main goal is the Breeders Cup. They are just true to thier commiittment of the Breeders Cup as their main goal.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
NOT IF ....WHEN

You never responded...who exactly are you desperately seeking kudos from? Who berated you?

DeanT
09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll give Carl some credit. He got flamed to hell early in the year when he said she was not the same, while others were blaming it on excuses (rider, fitness etc). He said she would have a poor year and be retired very early on and never race Z. He was right.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Retired a few days shy of October is very early in the year? Are we using the same calender? The rest isn't exactly accurate either, but that's not really important...at least in this thread.

Stillriledup
09-28-2010, 10:22 PM
I know Rachel's owner also owns Curlin, but do you breeding experts think this is a good match?

carlonr
09-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Retired a few days shy of October is very early in the year? Are we using the same calender? The rest isn't exactly accurate either, but that's not really important...at least in this thread.

He said she would have a poor year and be retired very early on...

Early on as in earlier that expected, not early in the year!

andymays
09-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Not "early in the year" but "early on" as in earlier that expected.

Maybe PA can give carlonr some V cash. He can have 20 from me.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
He said she would have a poor year and be retired very early on...

Early on as in earlier that expected, not early in the year!

The "on" was added after I posted. Who berated you?

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 10:27 PM

He can have all of mine.

carlonr
09-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I'll give Carl some credit. He got flamed to hell early in the year when he said she was not the same, while others were blaming it on excuses (rider, fitness etc). He said she would have a poor year and be retired very early on and never race Z. He was right.

Thanks. for a moment I was thinking "doesn't anyone remember how "insane" I was supposed to be for even suggesting such a thing.

DeanT
09-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks. for a moment I was thinking "doesn't anyone remember how "insane" I was supposed to be for even suggesting such a thing.

Good.

But if Z gets beat seven in the BC and someone points to your "when" post above to take a shot at you, take it like a man :D

OntheRail
09-28-2010, 10:33 PM

From me as well... maybe he can use it to buy some BEN-GAY to rub on his shoulder. As I sure it's got to be soar from all the self patting on the back. :rolleyes:

Cardus
09-28-2010, 10:40 PM
yeah, so:confused: ...

which leads me to this...I can 'hear' the sarcastic tone, Cardus...I thought since I've ignored you for so long, I could go ahead and reply to one of your posts...but maybe I was mistaken about that...

You can answer whatever you'd like.

Your idea was idiotic, and I replied. That's all.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 10:42 PM

I am one of "us."

We're crass, but caring at the same time. It's one of "our" charms, no?

There would be boos if she appeared on the track, paraded instead of raced.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM

I am not anyone's entertainment...I answered your reply in good faith...and man, was that a mistake:bang:

Does a personally arranged tour at Coolmore count?

Oh, yes you are!

Nets
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM

If anyone should be bragging about their prediction coming true, it should be this guy. And it only took a little over 5 hours to be right.

nijinski
09-28-2010, 10:53 PM

I think that's just human nature for some to look for outside circumstances
to cause losses , some times there are .
One of the facts is that there were other people out who felt the same
as you , but they're not sayin I told you so. That doesn't go over very well.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 11:04 PM
If anyone should be bragging about their prediction coming true, it should be this guy. And it only took a little over 5 hours to be right.

Cardus doesn't mean to sound like Carlonr, but Cardus is proud to have played a part.

Shelby
09-28-2010, 11:04 PM

My first thought (bolded by me).

There is something that we don't know.

Frankly, I'm very disappointed that I will not get to see Z and R race head to head. If R was sick, hurt etc., then I would understand. But to say that because she got second yadda yadda yadda in a few races???? I call bullshit.

DeanT
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM

Good point.

Plus I wanted to reply to you since we have the same avatar. When I see your posts I think they are me, but I don't remember typing them. I feel like a character in 12 Monkey's.

Anyway, I digress, HANA friend!

tzipi
09-28-2010, 11:10 PM
I love retirement "brags". Funny, you never see the same winning horse prediction brags.

Shelby
09-28-2010, 11:10 PM

There are many days that I almost lose faith in humans, but, I don't think anyone would boo such a wonderful horse!

JustRalph
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
There are many days that I almost lose faith in humans, but, I don't think anyone would boo such a wonderful horse!

Amen Sister!!

Shelby
09-28-2010, 11:14 PM
"Yankee fans" booed Jeter.

Well, he's not in the same class as Rachel.

tzipi
09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
I am one of "us."

We're crass, but caring at the same time. It's one of "our" charms, no?

There would be boos if she appeared on the track, paraded instead of raced.

She would be boo'd??

Jesus, some people are insane and live in a weird world. NO ONE would boo a horse because it's CONNECTIONS decided to retire them.

Would you boo a horse because later on you found out it won a race on an illegal substance the CONNECTIONS gave them? :lol:

Shelby
09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
I know Rachel's owner also owns Curlin, but do you breeding experts think this is a good match?

I'd LOVE it if Rachel expanded her dance card and had a date with Mr. Smarty Jones.

eastie
09-28-2010, 11:19 PM

I'm sure when she wins by 5 in 57 and change you knuckleheads will still find something wrong. You knew they would duck Zenyatta no matter what. Assmussen is the one who ****ed her up by box stalling her for 90 days instead of turning her out, just so he could keep an eye on her. She's worth 10 million dollars, ya think they could afford to have someone keep an eye on her on the farm for 3 months. That foolhardy move turned her back into ordinary instead of extraordinary like last year. It sucks that we'll never get to see Zen blow by her. The whole sport deserved a better fate. Zenyatta not running at saratoga against Rachel is the biggest injustice I can remember.

SmartyParty
09-28-2010, 11:26 PM
An extraordinary racehorse, one I've felt privileged to see enter the gate. One with a rare, seldom seen talent.

I can feel only gratitude toward the Jacksons and toward Steve Asmussen and his staff. It is wonderful to see her leave the track healthy and sound. I wish her well. And I wish her many long and loving days with her foals.

I'll miss her greatly; her talent and her beauty. What a gift she has been to all who follow and love thoroughbred racing.

Enjoy your new life, Rachel!

Could not have said it better! Thanks, Grits.

GatetoWire
09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
We will probably never know exactly what happened in the last 24 hours that caused Jess Jackson and Co. to finally retire her but I would be willing to guess that it's probably soft tissue or foot related.
Probably just enough of a setback to knock her out of the Beldame which would then cause her to play catch up to make the Breeders Cup. There was no chance that she was going to race next year anyway so nothing left but to retire her now.

The other thing that I have been wondering all season if she wasn't maybe bleeding or having some airway issue.
It's possible that they scoped her this morning and found some minor pulmonary hemorrhage and decided that it was time to pull the plug.

Too Bad...I was really looking forward to seeing her bounce back super fit on Saturday after her max effort at Saratoga in the Personal Ensign.

the little guy
09-28-2010, 11:36 PM
I'd LOVE it if Rachel expanded her dance card and had a date with Mr. Smarty Jones.

Yeah, he's really burning it up in the breeding shed.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm sure when she wins by 5 in 57 and change you knuckleheads will still find something wrong. You knew they would duck Zenyatta no matter what. Assmussen is the one who ****ed her up by box stalling her for 90 days instead of turning her out, just so he could keep an eye on her. She's worth 10 million dollars, ya think they could afford to have someone keep an eye on her on the farm for 3 months. That foolhardy move turned her back into ordinary instead of extraordinary like last year. It sucks that we'll never get to see Zen blow by her. The whole sport deserved a better fate. Zenyatta not running at saratoga against Rachel is the biggest injustice I can remember.

There is a better chance you'll post something smart than she'll win by 5 in 57 and change in the Classic.

KingChas
09-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Looks like the eternal debate shall live forever................. ;) :D

eastie
09-29-2010, 12:53 AM
duh hoss your chances of 5 to go are improving by the day

Pick6
09-29-2010, 12:54 AM
There is a better chance you'll post something smart than she'll win by 5 in 57 and change in the Classic.
You are at least consistent when you claim keeping RA in a stall for 3+ months instead of turning her out was "smart".

classhandicapper
09-29-2010, 12:55 AM
IMO, Rachel Alexandra was/is one of the greatest fillies of all time. She's certainly among the best I've seen since the mid 70s.

She had a truly amazing 3YO campaign!

Even though IMHO a few of her races were mildly overrated by some people due to either inflated speed figures or race developments that tended to exaggerate her winning margin, there is no question she was both extremely good and highly consistent during a tough campaign against both fillies and colts that saw her overcome some very tough trips. I don't think I'll see another 3YO filly campaign like that in my lifetime! :ThmbUp:

Her record as a 4YO wasn't as impressive. Even her fastest race this year was probably aided by a biased racetrack and a very weak field. But it's not so unusual when a horse doesn't transition well from one year to the next. She was still good, just not as good.

I'm really sorry to see her go both as a fan and as a gambler.

As a fan, there's nothing I enjoy more than watching great horses run. I'm glad I took a trip up to Saratoga to see her last race. Some truly great memories.

As a gambler, I was looking to bet against her in the Classic since last year (if she ran). IMO, even though she might have been able to beat inferior fillies at 10F if she controlled the pace, 10F was almost certainly not an optimal distance for her. I think at no point in her career could she have handled legitimate Grade 1 pressure on the front end and then held off a legitimate Grade 1 closer late like she would have faced in the Classic. So a potentially large betting opportunity is lost.

KingChas
09-29-2010, 12:59 AM

Smarty + Rachel

I have seen worse,I could live with that coupled entry.

Curlin's offspring.......................?????????

"Smart Alex"
;)

HuggingTheRail
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM

Hey, we can't all be this guy :D

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/25146997/detail.html

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 01:14 AM
You are at least consistent when you claim keeping RA in a stall for 3+ months instead of turning her out was "smart".

I figured you'd make an appearance. Again, I'd love to see where I said that. I'm also waiting for you to provide evidence of a pre race opinion (under this name) but I won't be holding my breath for either.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 01:16 AM
duh hoss your chances of 5 to go are improving by the day

Can someone translate this for me? I don't speak idiot.

Java Gold@TFT
09-29-2010, 01:24 AM
I will always be thankful that I was at Saratoga for RA's Woodward last year. It was one of those magical days in racing when the whole place was just abuzz for one race. The roar of the crowd down the stretch and coming back to the winner's circle were things that could make fans out of anyone. Selfishly I wanted to see her in the Beldame but now I just hope she gets the retirement she deserves.

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2010, 01:35 AM
I am simply saying that a horse that was working great, giving no indications of physical problems is retired and the predominately east coast RA supporters quickly say "it what was best for the horse". However when The Zenyatta connections re-evaluated shipping after the way she handled the trip to Oaklawn doing what was "best for the horse" was ridiculed ad infinitum.RA supporters? Really? How many out of how many?

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2010, 01:41 AM
I'll give Carl some credit. He got flamed to hell early in the year when he said she was not the same, while others were blaming it on excuses (rider, fitness etc). He said she would have a poor year and be retired very early on and never race Z. He was right.Any idiot could see she was the not the same. What I said (and what others were saying) was to give her a chance to regain her form. Don't retire her just because she lost her first race back.

And folks like carl take this retirement as some sort of vindication for Zenyatta, when it reality, Rachel had absolutely nothing to do with Zenyatta this year.

It's the Zenyatta devotees' way of coping with the fact that her 2010 campaign has absolutely sucked in terms of "who did you beat?"

When she fails to the win the Classic and fails to win Horse of the Year yet again, what will carl say then? Will he bring up Rachel Alexandra? :lol:

RXB
09-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Smarty + Rachel

I have seen worse,I could live with that coupled entry.

Chas, Andy is right. Smarty Jones is not producing quality runners. Fine as a local sire somewhere since his progeny have some versatility in terms of surface, and they win early which seems to be paramount these days, but there's just no high-level ability being displayed. No way RA will be bred to Smarty-- unless she turns out to be equally disappointing as a broodmare, and that will take a few years to find out.

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm sure when she wins by 5 in 57 and change you knuckleheads will still find something wrong.Now I've heard everything. You forgot to throw in the fact that she will run each fraction faster than her last...just like Secretariat did in his Kentucky Derby victory...

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2010, 01:47 AM
You are at least consistent when you claim keeping RA in a stall for 3+ months instead of turning her out was "smart".It wasn't going to be complete without you.

DeanT
09-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Any idiot could see she was the not the same.
Then why would they flame Carl?

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Then why would they flame Carl?Because he types the same thing over and over and over again...and likes to compose posts in HUGE RED FONTS?

In other words, he's kind of annoying...

And what was this flame and who was "they" anyway?

KingChas
09-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Chas, Andy is right. Smarty Jones is not producing quality runners. Fine as a local sire somewhere since his progeny have some versatility in terms of surface, and they win early which seems to be paramount these days, but there's just no high-level ability being displayed. No way RA will be bred to Smarty-- unless she turns out to be equally disappointing as a broodmare, and that will take a few years to find out.

Geez RXB, Give the stud a chance.

Been catching his baby 1ster's at a price on the green...believe it or not.. :cool:

Breeding is to be rated over time,you know that............ ;)

RXB
09-29-2010, 01:56 AM
He's had enough time, Chas. It ain't happening. I'm glad you're catching his firsters on the grass; notice my previous comments regarding his win-early status and surface versatility. That's why he will be a useful sire-- for about a $3000 - $5000 stud fee.

DeanT
09-29-2010, 01:57 AM
Because he types the same thing over and over and over again...and likes to compose posts in HUGE RED FONTS?

In other words, he's kind of annoying...

And what was this flame and who was "they" anyway?

You should follow the board more :D

Anyone who dared say Rachel was not the same after her first couple starts were flamed en masse by the crew. Remember the whole "Zardana is a really good mare on dirt" episode?

KingChas
09-29-2010, 02:00 AM
He's had enough time, Chas.

Be real.............................. :confused:

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Anyone who dared say Rachel was not the same after her first couple starts were flamed en masse by the crew. Remember the whole "Zardana is a really good mare on dirt" episode?Those were nothing but counter arguments to the ridiculous claims that she should be retired simply because she lost.

Even in this thread you read these same silly notions.

Nobody flamed carl because he was saying she wasn't the same. The speed figures and the fact that she wasn't winning told you she wasn't the same horse as last year.

This "flaming" or whatever you want to call it was in response to the absurd notion that she should be retired because she finished second in a race. :rolleyes:

RXB
09-29-2010, 02:06 AM
Be real.............................. :confused:

I am being real. Smarty was booked to high-quality mares yet has produced almost nothing in terms of stakes winners. And given his win-early tendency, if there was class there, it would've shown fairly early on.

His stud fee started at $100,000. This year it was $10,000, and I fully expect it to drop further. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in Pennsylvania, where he would be a useful sire and where his local popularity might prop up the fee a bit.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off the thread topic so I'll stop here.

DeanT
09-29-2010, 02:28 AM
Those were nothing but counter arguments to the ridiculous claims that she should be retired simply because she lost.

Nobody flamed carl because he was saying she wasn't the same. The speed figures and the fact that she wasn't winning told you she wasn't the same horse as last year.

This "flaming" or whatever you want to call it was in response to the absurd notion that she should be retired because she finished second in a race. :rolleyes:

I read all the old threads this evening for a lark. They were certainly interesting.

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2010, 02:32 AM
I read all the old threads this evening for a lark. They were certainly interesting.What's sillier? The notion that Rachel Alexandra should have been retired after losing to Zardana, or the possibility that Zardana was a better horse than people were giving credit for, especially given she was at that point, undefeated on dirt?

It's real easy to criticize with the clarity of 20/20 hindsight.

DeanT
09-29-2010, 02:36 AM
What's sillier? The notion that Rachel Alexandra should have been retired after losing to Zardana, or the possibility that Zardana was a better horse than people were giving credit for, especially given she was at that point, undefeated on dirt?

It's real easy to criticize with the clarity of 20/20 hindsight.

There was no 20/20 hindsight on the threads in the past, it was foresight. We have some sharp horseplayers with an eye for horseflesh here in the board.

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2010, 02:47 AM
There was no 20/20 hindsight on the threads in the past, it was foresight. We have some sharp horseplayers with an eye for horseflesh here in the board.The 20/20 hindsight comes into play with Zardana in her subsequent starts on dirt after she beat RA. I'm talking about the comments immediately after RA lost to Zardana.

In a very recent thread, you criticized those of us who brought up the possibility that Zardana was better then some were giving her credit for...this is easy to do now with 20/20 hindsight...that was all I was saying.

WinterTriangle
09-29-2010, 03:06 AM
There is something that we don't know.

This is post race, walking back to shedrow, after losing to Persistently. Brought tears to my eyes, but I saw what I needed to see.

Maybe Carl, (or others who wrote about it on the blog where I found it), are people who looked and realized that "retirement" was eminent:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/lovescanines/DSCN0403.jpg

(it does invite comparison to Zen walking around after her BCC win).

Eastie, please don't bring up about the 4 months in a box stall. That just makes me want to bust a vein every time I think about it. :mad:

At any rate, I'm sure Rachel will flourish with some time off in a nice pasture. She had a really nice year on the racetrack.

DeanT
09-29-2010, 03:10 AM
The 20/20 hindsight comes into play with Zardana in her subsequent starts on dirt after she beat RA. I'm talking about the comments immediately after RA lost to Zardana.

In a very recent thread, you criticized those of us who brought up the possibility that Zardana was better then some were giving her credit for...this is easy to do now with 20/20 hindsight...that was all I was saying.

I guess we have a little miscomunicado. I was fascinated to read several posts that were not focusing on Zardana in that race, but nuanced opinion on how Rachel was moving and reacted in that race, based on their knowledge of her. To them, Zardana was not even a part of the picture; it could have been any other grade 2 or 3 mare; it did not matter. In fact, if Rachel won by five, it would not have mattered either.

There are a ton of ways to play the races and win at them. Some people choose to watch horses in different ways, with or without PP's, and in my opinion, you saw some real sharp posts on Rachel on this board this season.

I have a friend who plays harness only, and does so for a living. When you go to the races with him, or walk through the paddock, trainers are asking him what they think of their horses chances. Not the other way around.

One time, he watched a nice 100 claimer warm up and I went over to say hi. He mentioned that this horse (who was going to be 3-5) was a pitch because he was lame in the back. Before the race, the trainer came into the dining room and asked him what he thought of his chances. He told him. The trainer was stumped - he thought his charge was 100% sound. Not surprisingly (or I would not be telling the story) the horse, off a perfect trip, ran seventh, beaten by a football field.

I think there are several people on this board with the same talent. I honestly believe there were a few people here that know Rachel better than SA knows Rachel.

WJ47
09-29-2010, 03:10 AM

LOL! I love your sarcastic sense of humor. This post was a joke, right? :D

tucker6
09-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Any chance Rachel was starting to pull a Lady's Secret "I'm not interested in racing" attitude at times lately?? Who knows what goes on that we don't see. Jackson may have decided that a less than 100% interested Rachel was a danger to herself and his breeding plan.

FenceBored
09-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Minor detail. Predicted this BEFORE here first race this year!!!

I'm so glad you used a red font here. As your first post on this board as Carlonr was on May 24th, while Rachel's first race was on March 13th, I'd say this constitutes redboarding.

FenceBored
09-29-2010, 07:45 AM
You should follow the board more :D

Anyone who dared say Rachel was not the same after her first couple starts were flamed en masse by the crew. Remember the whole "Zardana is a really good mare on dirt" episode?

I said she wasn't the same after her first race back, and wasn't flamed by "the crew," whoever that is.

NY BRED
09-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Until someone on this board has the credentials equal to the
Tranier, Vet, and owner of Rachel, all of this banter is
useless , and in some instances pathetic.

I seriously doubt anyone can argue with the accomplishments of Rachel
and hopefully her offspring will provide similar excitement for fans in
years to come.

Why not simply appreciate her efforts and stop the torture in comparison
to Zenyata etc?

Yes, Jess Jackson had a lot of breeding value and $$ to lose if Rachel continued losing, but an even greater financial and emotional loss
if she was injured (or worse) on the track.

Robert Goren
09-29-2010, 08:16 AM
I got flamed for suggesting that one of her WO before her first race was quite up to snuff. RA fans are/were brutal toward anyone who even hinted that she wasn't as good as last year. I hope she has multiple stakes winners, but track record for great race mares as broodmares is mixed to say the least. We can all hope she is one of the exceptions.

Grits
09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
NYBred, an outstanding post and a voice of true commen sense and perspective. This thread should have remained about Rachel, it should have had absolutely nothing to do with Zenyatta and her record, or her "IFs".

Thanks for posting. Thanks so much.

Until someone on this board has the credentials equal to the
Tranier, Vet, and owner of Rachel, all of this banter is
useless , and in some instances pathetic.

I seriously doubt anyone can argue with the accomplishments of Rachel
and hopefully her offspring will provide similar excitement for fans in
years to come.

Why not simply appreciate her efforts and stop the torture in comparison
to Zenyata etc?

Yes, Jess Jackson had a lot of breeding value and $$ to lose if Rachel continued losing, but an even greater financial and emotional loss
if she was injured (or worse) on the track.

eastie
09-29-2010, 09:51 AM

sharp post, but Duh Hoss is never wrong, don't you know that ? we are all here for his amusement.

eastie
09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Can someone translate this for me? I don't speak idiot.

If you don't know what 5 to go means....who's the idiot ? you don't get out much do ya ?

horses4courses
09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Seems to me what keeps this argument going is a lack of humility.

It's hardly surprising. Horse players are among the most opinionated, subjective people on this planet. After all, we compete against each other with every bet.

I do recall threads, though, entitled something like:

"Retire Rachel?......why?", and the like.

It really isn't that hard for someone to say that they were wrong, occasionally.

Nobody gets it right all the time, do they?

Nets
09-29-2010, 10:29 AM
If even half the energy and time spent by some on the Rachel v Zenyatta discussions were applied to their handicapping, one would think the purported 5% profitable bettors might increase. Maybe it's better the debate continues for the rest of us ;).

FenceBored
09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
I got flamed for suggesting that one of her WO before her first race was quite up to snuff. RA fans are/were brutal toward anyone who even hinted that she wasn't as good as last year. I hope she has multiple stakes winners, but track record for great race mares as broodmares is mixed to say the least. We can all hope she is one of the exceptions.

Could you point me to the thread in question? I've looked, but I'm not finding it.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 12:41 PM
sharp post, but Duh Hoss is never wrong, don't you know that ? we are all here for his amusement.

Please point me to the post where I said that. I'd love to see it. I guess when we're bankrupt with thoughts making stuff up works as well. Nice to know.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Could you point me to the thread in question? I've looked, but I'm not finding it.

This thread should be put into the bullshit hall of fame. All of the hall of famers have participated and the amount that has been produced is astounding.

Bullshitters, and you know who you are, give yourselves a round of applause.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 12:53 PM
If you don't know what 5 to go means....who's the idiot ? you don't get out much do ya ?

I can honestly say I have never heard the term 5 to go. Then again, I don't live in a 1984 time warp, so that might be the problem.

WJ47
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
This thread should be put into the bullshit hall of fame. All of the hall of famers have participated and the amount that has been produced is astounding.

Bullshitters, and you know who you are, give yourselves a round of applause.

I agree! :lol: This thread has been highly entertaining. Who needs TV when you've got all this bullshitting going on right here?

johnhannibalsmith
09-29-2010, 01:15 PM
... I applaud them for this decision...

:ThmbUp:

Thumbs up on it all, but I took a snip as a summary.

Shelby
09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Geez RXB, Give the stud a chance.

Been catching his baby 1ster's at a price on the green...believe it or not.. :cool:

Breeding is to be rated over time,you know that............ ;)

I have too and I totally agree.

Mr. S. Jones will produce a stand-out someday.

Shelby
09-29-2010, 01:25 PM
This is post race, walking back to shedrow, after losing to Persistently. Brought tears to my eyes, but I saw what I needed to see.

Maybe Carl, (or others who wrote about it on the blog where I found it), are people who looked and realized that "retirement" was eminent:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/lovescanines/DSCN0403.jpg

(it does invite comparison to Zen walking around after her BCC win).

Eastie, please don't bring up about the 4 months in a box stall. That just makes me want to bust a vein every time I think about it. :mad:

At any rate, I'm sure Rachel will flourish with some time off in a nice pasture. She had a really nice year on the racetrack.

:(:(:(

I was listening to whats-his-name on Sirius this morning while driving. They re-played the Woodward. I about had to pull over due to my eyes fogging up.

Shelby
09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
LOL! I love your sarcastic sense of humor. This post was a joke, right? :D

I do have a great, sarcastic, humor...but, no. I am a huge Smarty fan. :)

Show Me the Wire
09-29-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a question. Is allowing the animal to have a bullet work before announcing retirement standard operating proceedure for Asmussen's barn?

With all due respect to PA, I need to correct his premature prior assesment about the thread being complete. Now its complete. :D

Also, thanks PA for your condolences regarding the loss of my family's dog. It is much appreciated.

Robert Fischer
09-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I have a question. Is allowing the animal to have a bullet work before announcing retirement standard operating proceedure for Asmussen's barn?

I know that personally I would have to know a lot more about the situation to pass a public judgment on a trainer's decisions such as this.
Several different possibilities come to mind immediately. It really wouldn't be fair to imply any wrongdoing without having seen "the complete picture".

Show Me the Wire
09-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I am not implying wrong doing. I've been informed, in the past, that certain things I've thought were unusual actions were actually standard operating proceedures for Asmussen.

Just asking for my own edification.

Shelby
09-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I am not implying wrong doing. I've been informed in the past that certain things I've thought were unusual actions were actually standard operating proceedures for Asmussen.

Just asking for my own edification.

I wondered the same thing.

On the radio this morning, the speculation was that they were giving RA one last "harrah". They said that around 60 people from the barn on the rails watching her.

carlonr
09-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Those were nothing but counter arguments to the ridiculous claims that she should be retired simply because she lost.

This "flaming" or whatever you want to call it was in response to the absurd notion that she should be retired because she finished second in a race. :rolleyes:`

For the record... I said RA would be (not SHOULD BE) retired early. and I said this before her first race this year. RA's ownership did a great job of manipulating the media (and the minds of some supporters) They never were going to race against Zenyatta and they never intended to race in the BCC.

BluegrassProf
09-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Show Me: Perhaps the decision was simply handed down post-workout. Seems completely reasonable to me.

RA's ownership did a great job of manipulating the media (and the minds of some supporters) They never were going to race against Zenyatta and they never intended to race in the BCC.Same ol' Carly tune. You know as well as I (or any single person on this board, for that matter) that this is no more than your absurd presumption, and to state authoritatively otherwise does your reputation absolutely no favors.

So as tired as the damned tune is, by all means, keep singin' it. :ThmbUp:

Dahoss: x1000.

Heck of a retirement tribute we've got going here. We should be terribly proud.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 02:23 PM
`

For the record... I said RA would be (not SHOULD BE) retired early. and I said this before her first race this year. RA's ownership did a great job of manipulating the media (and the minds of some supporters) They never were going to race against Zenyatta and they never intended to race in the BCC.
Not to steal your thunder, but I basically predicted the same here as well several months ago.

I think it was fairly obvious that this was the progression. Anyone wishing to deny that can argue until they're blue in the face, it doesn't really matter at this point. It all worked out as expected.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 02:26 PM
It wasn't going to be complete without you.
Which means what, exactly? So I get to say "I told you so"?

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Not to steal your thunder, but I basically predicted the same here as well several months ago.

I think it was fairly obvious that this was the progression. Anyone wishing to deny that can argue until they're blue in the face, it doesn't really matter at this point. It all worked out as expected.

You also wanted to give me 100-1 that ST Trinians would be running in the Ladies Classic. How is that prediction working out?

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 02:38 PM
`

Who exactly was saying RA was going to run in the Classic? I must have missed that discussion.

But congrats on predicting a horse would be retired. Since this thread turned into a pat yourself on the back thread....I predicted after the Apple Blossom that Zenyatta would hide away in California for the rest of the year. I was told by people (Nikki and Mikki1997 as well as others) that I was wrong. Well I was right. And I want everyone to know about it. I also predicted St Trinians wouldn't start in the Ladies Classic. Right again.

Wow, that was fun. I'm awesome.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 02:42 PM
You also wanted to give me 100-1 that ST Trinians would be running in the Ladies Classic. How is that prediction working out?
Hey, congrats! You won laying a prop offering 100-1. And I need to give you credit, you took a stand on what you thought was a 1% chance occurrence of losing. I guess it helped that St T was shutdown for the year, and her lack of appearance had nothing to with her ability.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Who exactly was saying RA was going to run in the Classic? I must have missed that discussion.

But congrats on predicting a horse would be retired. Since this thread turned into a pat yourself on the back thread....I predicted after the Apple Blossom that Zenyatta would hide away in California for the rest of the year. I was told by people (Nikki and Mikki1997 as well as others) that I was wrong. Well I was right. And I want everyone to know about it. I also predicted St Trinians wouldn't start in the Ladies Classic. Right again.

Wow, that was fun. I'm awesome.
Clearly the more convincing prediction was RA no-showing against Z. Once you get past that no-showing for the BCC thing is easy.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey, congrats! You won laying a prop offering 100-1. And I need to give you credit, you took a stand on what you thought was a 1% chance occurrence of losing. I guess it helped that St T was shutdown for the year, and her lack of appearance had nothing to with her ability.

Umm, no. I made that prediction before she was shut down for the year and you know it. The point is see how silly this is?

Are you and Carl correct so infrequently that the one time you are everyone needs to be reminded about? Guess so.

I'm still waiting for you to prove your first post in this thread. Hard to prove a total lie though.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Clearly the more convincing prediction was RA no-showing against Z. Once you get past that no-showing for the BCC thing is easy.

Please point me to all of the people thinking RA was going to run in the Classic this year. I don't remember it.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Umm, no. I made that prediction before she was shut down for the year and you know it. The point is see how silly this is?

Are you and Carl correct so infrequently that the one time you are everyone needs to be reminded about? Guess so.

I'm still waiting for you to prove your first post in this thread. Hard to prove a total lie though.
When did I say she was shutdown before your 99% "prediction"?

Just because you can't figure out pace scenarios, don't blame me.

And maybe you can identify the "lie" to which you are referring, or are you going to continue to be obtuse?

Pick6
09-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Please point me to all of the people thinking RA was going to run in the Classic this year. I don't remember it.
We are talking about the prediction of RA no-showing against Z.

Simple logic.

Hint: who will be at BCC this year?

FenceBored
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
`

For the record ... I told Jim Fitzsimmons back in 1960 that a filly would win the Ky Oaks, Preakness and Woodward in the same year within the next 50 years.

riskman
09-29-2010, 03:09 PM
For the record ... I told Jim Fitzsimmons back in 1960 that a filly would win the Ky Oaks, Preakness and Woodward in the same year within the next 50 years.

Damn --your good.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:11 PM
When did I say she was shutdown before your 99% "prediction"?

Just because you can't figure out pace scenarios, don't blame me.

And maybe you can identify the "lie" to which you are referring, or are you going to continue to be obtuse?

The lie is in your first post in the thread. I never said it was smart. But you know that. it didn't stop you from saying I did though.

Just because people can do what you can't, and do it well doesn't mean you have to project your petty jealousy like this. It's very unbecoming.

Robert Fischer
09-29-2010, 03:13 PM

so...
My old man invented "the pound". One day in a bowling league his buddy rolled a strike, yet the oily lanes made high-fives a poor choice... The estate still gets celebration royalties just about every superbowl.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I'd go a bit further, that predicting an undefeated racemare winning the richest race against older males at 1 1/4 and not winning HOY would be a bit longer on the odds.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:19 PM

This would have read better in larger font and in red.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 03:22 PM
The lie is in your first post in the thread. I never said it was smart. But you know that. it didn't stop you from saying I did though.

Just because people can do what you can't, and do it well doesn't mean you have to project your petty jealousy like this. It's very unbecoming.
I never said you did. You quoted somebody who in their post claimed that it was not "smart" to have RA in a stall for 3+ months. Then you slammed the guy indicating he had nothing "smart" to say comparing it to the chance Z runs sub 1:58 in the BCC. Your typical style, which I simply noted.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I never said you did. You quoted somebody who in their post claimed that it was not "smart" to have RA in a stall for 3+ months. Then you slammed the guy indicating he had nothing "smart" to say comparing it to the chance Z runs sub 1:58 in the BCC. Your typical style, which I simply noted.

No, he said Asmussen messed her up by doing that. The word smart is nowhere in his post.

My reply was based on two things. 1. Eastie never posts anything intelligent. 2. His asinine prediction that she is going to win by 5 and break 1:58 for the 10 furlongs.

Still waiting for you to provide one pre race opinion.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 03:37 PM
No, he said Asmussen messed her up by doing that. The word smart is nowhere in his post.

My reply was based on two things. 1. Eastie never posts anything intelligent. 2. His asinine prediction that she is going to win by 5 and break 1:58 for the 10 furlongs.

Still waiting for you to provide one pre race opinion.
He was intelligent enough to conclude the "smart" answer about the 3+ month stall thing. You made a silly blanket statement that was wrong, and I called you on it. Just a reflection of your bitterness, I guess.

And you are wrong about him predicting sub 1:58. This was merely playing out a possible scenario in which people would still not recognize Z as the best horse in training, and most likely superior to RA at classic distance at any time. More bitterness.

I already provided these to you. And you have search function as well, if it means so much to you, right?

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:40 PM
He was intelligent enough to conclude the "smart" answer about the 3+ month stall thing. You made a silly blanket statement that was wrong, and I called you on it. Just a reflection of your bitterness, I guess.

I already provided these to you. And you have search function as well, if it means so much to you, right?

Yeah, you sure put me in my place. Just a reflection of your jealousy is what I chalked it up to. At least you're in good company.

If you want help with handicapping there are better ways of going about asking me.

thaskalos
09-29-2010, 03:43 PM
If you want help with handicapping there are better ways of going about asking me.I had a feeling that the handicapping contest win would go to your head.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah, you sure put me in my place. Just a reflection of your jealousy is what I chalked it up to. At least you're in good company.

If you want help with handicapping there are better ways of going about asking me.
Jealousy in being wrong? No, you got a strong monopoly on that claim.

Why would I want your help in anything? Seriously, you demonstrate your bitterness and lack of contribution to all of these threads. You don't call yourself a troll, but if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...

I'm sure you will have another valueless response, which proves your worth to the thread.

We will be getting some of your pre-race opinions matched up with mine soon enough. I was thinking of a BC thing where you and I could match up with a $1,000 bankroll.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Jealousy in being wrong? No, you got a strong monopoly on that claim.

Why would I want your help in anything? Seriously, you demonstrate your bitterness and lack of contribution to all of these threads. You don't call yourself a troll, but if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...

I'm sure you will have another valueless response, which proves your worth to the thread.

Yes, you sure have been a strong contributor to this thread and board in general.

At least I've never been banned from here. Can you say the same?

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
I had a feeling that the handicapping contest win would go to your head.

If clueless wonders are allowed to pat themselves on the back for nothing, I figure I should be allowed to as well.

Can't wait to see how others perform.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Yes, you sure have been a strong contributor to this thread and board in general.

At least I've never been banned from here. Can you say the same?
A non-denial denial. We know how that goes. So you make a trash post here and I call you on it.

Yes.

thaskalos
09-29-2010, 03:51 PM
If clueless wonders are allowed to pat themselves on the back for nothing, I figure I should be allowed to as well.

Can't wait to see how others perform.There are no future contests pending...you have set the bar too high, and from what I can see, everyone is running scared.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
There are no future contests pending...you have set the bar too high, and from what I can see, everyone is running scared.
BC $1,000 (ficticious of course) bankroll in the works. I think more would be interested as well.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:54 PM
A non-denial denial. We know how that goes. So you make a trash post here and I call you on it.

Yes.

Another lie. Also, another thread that will soon be closed and you have a big part in it. Yes, you are a very valued contributor.

Truth hurts I guess.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Another lie. Also, another thread that will soon be closed and you have a big part in it. Yes, you are a very valued contributor.

Truth hurts I guess.
I didn't lie before, and I am not lying now. You trashed a poster who made an intelligent observation about the 3+ month stall thing. Why do you persist on this?

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:56 PM
There are no future contests pending...you have set the bar too high, and from what I can see, everyone is running scared.

Like I said, I can't wait to watch. A lot of people sure talk a big game around here. This will give them a chance to prove it. You're going to be involved, correct?

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 03:57 PM
I didn't lie before, and I am not lying now. You trashed a poster who made an intelligent observation about the 3+ month stall thing. Why do you persist on this?

So you were never banned here? Why do you persist on trolling?

Pick6
09-29-2010, 04:00 PM
So you were never banned here? Why do you persist on trolling?
Look in a mirror. I was the one who corrected you. Then you continue to persist on with this nonsense with some kind of feeble attempt to defend yourself but admitting to your error at the same time. Time to stop your needless replies. Your bitterness obviously knows no bounds.

thaskalos
09-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Like I said, I can't wait to watch. A lot of people sure talk a big game around here. This will give them a chance to prove it. You're going to be involved, correct? Gm10 mentioned something to me about a contest, but it doesn't look like it will materialize.

Yes, I want to get involved...but, as you know, I am the quiet type, and I don't think that the contest will generate much interest unless the more "vocal" types are involved.

BluegrassProf
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Jeezus...some of you argue just like damned Democrats:

Pick whatever pseudo-argument pops into your head and run sporadically with it, narrowly avoiding walls and stairs and sharp objects, with no regard to little things like logical consistency or legitimate substance. Worst of all, you pick the most inappropriate times to do it, and when you're called out, you just squeal that much louder.

I call it "pulling a Pelosi." Bravo. :ThmbUp:

Kudos to the folks that show candor and reverence when the time is right - you're garnering far more respect than the consistenly-silly-ass mouthpieces could ever hope for.

At very least, little mouthpieces: perhaps you should leave your "I toldya so's" for actual handicapping - not just pissing and moaning about handicapping - and keep it the hell out of the RA retirement thread. Just a thought.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Another strong contribution. You ignored, deflected and whined all in one post. Impressive.

FenceBored
09-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Look in a mirror. I was the one who corrected you. Then you continue to persist on with this nonsense with some kind of feeble attempt to defend yourself but admitting to your error at the same time. Time to stop your needless replies. Your bitterness obviously knows no bounds.

I don't know, for bitterness he's got a looong way to top these two from earlier in this thread:

Where are all the Zenyatta bashers who knew for certain she wouldn't run in the Classic this year? I thought everyone knew Jerry Moss was a coward and was going to retire Zenyatta anyday now. Where is everyone?? Fact is Mr. Jackson ducked out of Oaklawn and now will be missing in action in November and all the know it all's can enjoy their crow images/UBGX/E9.gif -- post 36

Amen! Answer: they are all hiding under the "best for the horse" blanket. As you know when it comes to RA, is "whats best for the horse". When its's Zenyatta though, the connections can never be doing what's best for their horse. -- post 43

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Gm10 mentioned something to me about a contest, but it doesn't look like it will materialize.

Yes, I want to get involved...but, as you know, I am the quiet type, and I don't think that the contest will generate much interest unless the more "vocal" types are involved.

Take a look in the selections thread. He set up a thread.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't know, for bitterness he's got a looong way to top these two from earlier in this thread:

-- post 36

-- post 43

At least these are anonymous. He intenionally posts trash about others without a clue if he is even right or not. This confirms his bitterness.

Pick6
09-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Another strong contribution. You ignored, deflected and whined all in one post. Impressive.
No, just characterizing your bitterness. You trashed a poster who made an intelligent observation, and I called you on it. No need to be sensitive about it, I'm sure it's not the first time for you. Why you continue to make these non-denial denials and deflect is really what wastes everyone's time.

carlonr
Show Me: Perhaps the decision was simply handed down post-workout. Seems completely reasonable to me.

Same ol' Carly tune. You know as well as I (or any single person on this board, for that matter) that this is no more than your absurd presumption, and to state authoritatively otherwise does your reputation absolutely no favors.

So as tired as the damned tune is, by all means, keep singin' it. :ThmbUp:

Dahoss: x1000.

Heck of a retirement tribute we've got going here. We should be terribly proud.

It may have been a presumption. But the only reason you call it absurd is because you and others did not have the foresight to see it coming.
This is the very reason that I continue to post. So that others (especially newcomers) can see that just because a certain group of regular posters label someone or something as "absurd" or "insane", that does not make it so. The fact that both presumptions proved to be correct says they were not so "absurd" after all.

Robert Fischer
Everyone ganging up on Dahoss. :confused:

Dahoss does contribute, and he has pretty good BS Meter most of the time.

He isn't too politically correct, or timid, to speak up when something doesn't seem right.

andtheyreoff
09-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Before we go on any further here, I would like to congratulate:

carlonr
Sericm
DeanT
eastie
Pick6

for making this the funniest and most ludicrouse thread in the 11 year history of PaceAdvantage. Congrats, gentlemen!

carlonr
09-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Before we go on any further here, I would like to congratulate:

carlonr
Sericm
DeanT
eastie
Pick6

for making this the funniest and most ludicrouse thread in the 11 year history of PaceAdvantage. Congrats, gentlemen!

"ludicrouse"???

Robert Fischer
09-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I've found that if I stretch first, all the better to pat my back with.

It may have been a presumption. But the only reason you call it absurd is because you and others did not have the foresight to see it coming.

i think she may be retired off this.

This wasn't the same horse at all.

she looked stiff in the parade.

I don't know - maybe zardana is an awesome dirt horse... maybe rachel "wasn't in shape" ... she didn't look like the same horse

DeanT
09-29-2010, 04:39 PM

I don't think you have been here too long :D

I have not posted in about 5 pages, but thanks for including me :)

carlonr
09-29-2010, 04:50 PM
"Originally Posted by BluegrassProf
Heck of a retirement tribute we've got going here. We should be terribly proud."

Could someone in the RA camp please start an official TRIBUTE TO RA thread.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 04:50 PM
No, just characterizing your bitterness. You trashed a poster who made an intelligent observation, and I called you on it. No need to be sensitive about it, I'm sure it's not the first time for you. Why you continue to make these non-denial denials and deflect is really what wastes everyone's time.

Another strong contribution to a thread about Rachel retiring.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
At least these are anonymous. He intenionally posts trash about others without a clue if he is even right or not. This confirms his bitterness.

This confirms your hypocrisy and jealousy.

Cardus
09-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Name one mare, or maiden mare, who was retired at the end of September -- as opposed to the beginning of November -- due to breeding reasons.

If I used emoticons, there are about six of them that I would attach to this preposterous theory.

I am not saying that horses -- male and female -- do not need to acclimate, but I do not recall hearing any owner stating that the reason a horse was retired five weeks before the end of the racing season was due to winding down.

Go ahead, push a preposterous position.

Cardus
09-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I'll bite here........

Hanover, that so-called "prior experience" is what makes the opinion that Rachel Alexandra is being retired five weeks early for breeding reasons more absurd, not unassailable.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Isn't that the theme of this thread?

tzipi
09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Name one mare, or maiden mare, who was retired at the end of September -- as opposed to the beginning of November -- due to breeding reasons.

If I used emoticons, there are about six of them that I would attach to this preposterous theory.

I am not saying that horses -- male and female -- do not need to acclimate, but I do not recall hearing any owner stating that the reason a horse was retired five weeks before the end of the racing season was due to winding down.

Honestly, what is this really about? Did you check every mare in history? Please tell me for a reason. A horse who wasn't the same was retired by her connections and you seem to be bragging. C'mon cardus.

Dahoss9698
09-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Honestly, what is this really about? Did you check every mare in history? Please tell me for a reason. A horse who wasn't the same was retired by her connections and you seem to be bragging. C'mon cardus.

You are totally reading what he is saying wrong. He's not bragging at all. That was Carl and Pick6. He's saying Joanied's theory is incredibly flawed. It is.

tzipi
09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
You are totally reading what he is saying wrong. He's not bragging at all. That was Carl and Pick6. He's saying Joanied's theory is incredibly flawed. It is.

Then my apologies. I guess it is to Carl and Pick 6 then. But I will say no mare or maiden mare was retired in Sept ever?

Robert Fischer
09-29-2010, 05:44 PM

You make some good points here(although responsibility for racing's demise may be going a bit far ;) ).

We should realize that there are bunches of reason's she may have been retired at this time in particular.

It's possible for example that having seen that "this wasn't the same horse", it could have been relayed to Jackson who could have agreed to the suggestion of, or even suggested "well, push her a little in the WOs(she's coming off 3consec & a 6/8ths bullet as well)" and let's only keep her racing if she "shows her characteristic a response". A 1/50 bullet in 48.45, as nice as it is, doesn't always mean she showed a 'Rachel Raceday Response - remember how fast she is/was. That is just one possible scenario. A little bit of soreness or minor "problems" are very possible as well. To be honest we could guess all day.
The fact that she will be bred, may simply have been a positive to look forward to, rather than meant to be the sole reason for retirement.