PDA

View Full Version : Outcome 100 mile Endurance Races - amazing!

WinterTriangle
09-28-2010, 04:43 AM
The race equals 80 Kentucky Derbies, all in a single day.

:D
"He could go another 100 miles today if you wanted him to,” Alvarez Ponton said of the 15-year-old bay Arab gelding, Nobby, after Monday's medal ceremony, held at the Kentucky Horse Park's outdoor stadium."

And even more amazing: the jockey, a woman, had just given birth to a baby 7 weeks ago. :eek:

Only one US horse was able to finish (18th).

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100927/WEG/309270117

"Nobby's recovery time to get his heart rate down after each of the six phases in Sunday's competition was a combined 16 minutes, 17 seconds, which counted toward the total time to complete the course. That won him the gold medal over 10-year-old gelding Ciel Oriental, ridden by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum of Dubai, who needed a combined 43 minutes, 43 seconds. Nobby's overall running time on the course was 7:35:44 to Ciel Oriental's 7:36.39.

And how did Ponton come out of the race, her first 100 miles on a horse in months after she gave birth to a baby girl seven weeks ago? “I feel no different today than after any other ride,” she said. “The only difference was that I could not sleep all night because I had to feed the baby.”

The United Arab Emirates won the team title by 55 minutes over France, with Germany earning its first endurance medal with bronze.

The lone U.S. finisher among the five who started the race was 18th-place Deborah Reich, whose final time was 8:42.55.

Jean-Philippe Frances of France was shut out of individual medals, finishing fourth only upon the disqualification of American Heather Reynolds' horse for being slightly lame at the final vet check. But Frances' 15-year-old French-bred Arabian mare Hanaba du Bois earned the Best Condition Award, a great honor in endurance racing.

The award goes to the horse who, on the morning after the race, would be a rider's top pick to go out that day for another race.
---------------

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/09/27/1451758/us-eliminated-from-medal-contention.html#ixzz10oOPy61G

The runner-up, leading his country to an overwhelming team victory, was Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai, aboard Ciel Oriental.
His son crown prince Sheikh Hamdan Mohammed al-Maktoum was third on SAS Alexis. Younger son Sheikh Majid Mohammed al-Maktoum placed sixth aboard Kangoo D'Aurabelle.

Heather Reynolds of Team USA crossed the finish in fourth aboard Ssamiam. However, they were disqualified at the post-race trot out when Ssamiam came up lame.

http://www.horse-journal.com/blogs/?f=jstrassburger

Interesting, reporter describes Sheik as others have, at least, everyone that has ever commented on having met him: "The best words to describe him are gracious and thoughtful."

I just have always found it difficult to dislike the man, since that seems to be the general assessment of him......in both victory and in loss. :shrugs:

Plus, they actually RIDE their own horses in these races, so I respect they are capable horsemen too.

PhantomOnTour
09-28-2010, 09:46 AM
You should look up the Tevis Cup, also a 100 mile one-day event out west in California or Nevada.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 10:52 AM
At least Godolphin won something in America this year.

WinterTriangle
09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
At least Godolphin won something in America this year.

Turnabout is fair play. What races abroad, graded stakes or otherwise, has the USA won this year?

I also think its funny people mention success in dubai and say "but godolphin won their *own* races!", when the same can be said for any USA horse winning on a USA track? Aren't those our *own* races?

Lots of double standards at work here.......

Cardus
09-28-2010, 05:53 PM
What was the Beyer Speed Figure?

Cardus
09-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Turnabout is fair play. What races abroad, graded stakes or otherwise, has the USA won this year?

I also think its funny people mention success in dubai and say "but godolphin won their *own* races!", when the same can be said for any USA horse winning on a USA track? Aren't those our *own* races?

This is a straw man argument, and is also not analogous.

WinterTriangle
09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/sports/27equestrian.html

Another interesting article.

I've been reading about horses in battle, pony express, etc. in history.

What is esp. interesting is like Sheik Mo says, culturally and historically: "In the desert, owning a well-conditioned horse can be a matter of life or death." How true, so much history where horses saved our butts.

This race is the Olympics of endurance riding.

I love this 100 mile stuff. It just amazes me. And these steeds are 15 years old, etc. Just goes to prove a good horse is serviceable for a long time.....or should be.

It does take some deep pockets to keep it going.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 06:40 PM

You're incredibly confused. It's not a battle amongst countries. Godolphin is a very large operation with horses in many parts of the world. They have been dreadful with their results here. A better comparison would be how Juddmonte or Coolmore has done in America this year.

If Mike Repole or someone with a very large stable of horses decided to send a string Europe and they dramatically underperformed we could discuss it. But it hasn't happened. Last year Wesley Ward did okay with the few horses he sent to Europe though and proved me wrong.

Your second paragraph is so ass backwards I'm not going to spend any time refuting it.

WinterTriangle
09-28-2010, 06:43 PM
In the NYTimes article on page 2, it's good reading about what care the horses receive "between legs" of the race. Some are re-shoed, etc.

riskman
09-28-2010, 08:21 PM
They have been dreadful with their results here
Does Godolphin have a lot of horses here training in the states.? Always thought of them as primarily a stable operating in Dubai, England, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany,and Hong Kong. Did not think of them as a factor here. How many horses have they run in 2010 and what is their Win rate as compared to other large stables in THE U.S.?

BluegrassProf
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
What was the Beyer Speed Figure?Going on figures from the Donn - around 153.

highnote
09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Have any of you read "Undaunted Courage"? It's about the Louis and Clark expedition.

They rode a string of horses over 100 miles in a day in order to escape Indians.

Sacajawea traveled with Lewis and Clark across the continental U.S. on foot, by boat and horseback after having given birth only two months before they departed.

Interesting parallels to the people in the endurance race.

It shows how amazing horses, men and women are. That is meant as a compliment even though it might seem kind of awkward putting the three together in the same sentence. :)

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Does Godolphin have a lot of horses here training in the states.? Always thought of them as primarily a stable operating in Dubai, England, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany,and Hong Kong. Did not think of them as a factor here. How many horses have they run in 2010 and what is their Win rate as compared to other large stables in THE U.S.?

I know you didn't miss the poll at the top of the page. ZERO graded stakes wins. Again, ZERO. That's an awful year when you spend like they do and have the type of stock they have.

You or one of the other apologists can find out the rest.

riskman
09-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I know you didn't miss the poll at the top of the page. ZERO graded stakes wins. Again, ZERO. That's an awful year when you spend like they do and have the type of stock they have.

You or one of the other apologists can find out the rest.

I am not an apologist for Godolphin. You on the other hand seem to have a problem with them. Again, how many horses do they have in training here. You have to have horses here to win stakes unless they ship them in for a particular spot. Why do you care how much money Godolphin spends here or anywhere else or what their record is. If they are so dreadful that should be an advantage for you in a betting situation.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
I am not an apologist for Godolphin. You on the other hand seem to have a problem with them. Again, how many horses do they have in training here. You have to have horses here to win stakes unless they ship them in for a particular spot. Why do you care how much money Godolphin spends here or anywhere else or what their record is. If they are so dreadful that should be an advantage for you in a betting situation.

I could ask you the same thing. Why do you care? See how this works.

To imply they don't have the horses is funny though. I love message boards around big days.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Have any of you read "Undaunted Courage"? It's about the Louis and Clark expedition.

They rode a string of horses over 100 miles in a day in order to escape Indians.

Sacajawea traveled with Lewis and Clark across the continental U.S. on foot, by boat and horseback after having given birth only two months before they departed.

Interesting parallels to the people in the endurance race.

It shows how amazing horses, men and women are. That is meant as a compliment even though it might seem kind of awkward putting the three together in the same sentence. :)

It's amazing how men and women, who talk about horses, are.

Cardus
09-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Just citing figures and facts does not mean that someone has "a problem" with Godolphin.

It's very simple.

And, no one has touched upon their Australian investment: over $400M Australian for the largest operation in Australia a few years ago.

Anecdotally -- I follow Aussie racing -- I'd say that that investment has not produced much, relatively.

riskman
09-28-2010, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=Dahoss9698]I could ask you the same thing. Why do you care? See how this works.

To imply they don't have the horses is funny though. I love message boards around big days.[/Q UOTE]

I do not care, you do. I did not say or imply they do not have horses here. What is the big day you are talking about? Has the People's Republic of China legalized gambling on horse racing?
Here are Godolphins USA 2010 stats:

# GODOLPHIN'S 2010 USA STATISTICS:-
Horses 15
Races (individual runs) 29
Wins 7
Stakes Wins (all Grade & Listed) 3
G1 Wins -
Strike Rate (wins to races) 24%

# GODOLPHIN'S USA OVERALL RACE STATISTICS 1994 TO 2010:-
Individual Runners 246
Individual Winners 94
Runs 773
Wins 166
2nd 122
3rd 113
Strike Rate: Winners to Runners 38%
Strike Rate: Wins to Runs 22%
Grade One Wins 31
Grade Two Wins 14
Grade Three Wins 7
Listed Wins 20
Overall Stakes Wins (Grade & Listed) 72

How does this record compare with other large U.S. thoroughbred stables. Godolphins 2010 record is slim in term of GR1 wins but how many GR1 did they enter? Overall does not appear to be a dreadful record.

Dahoss9698
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
You're right. ZERO graded stakes wins in the US so far in 2010 has to be looked at as a success.

At least you don't care though. Keep trying to convince yourself.

WinterTriangle
09-29-2010, 02:06 AM
How does this record compare with other large U.S. thoroughbred stables.

Can't compare. Most large US TB stables are racing.

Godolphin is also a major breeding operation.

(These same naysayers will say the same thing about a horse like Point Ashley, who only raced a few times.....Zayat wanted her for breeding to Storm Cat, not racing. )

Anyone who thinks that Sheik Mo or Aga Khan are spending that kind of money to put horses in the riskest part of their enterprise (i.e, racing) is very naive. Their very best are breeding, not racing. ;)

Why do you care how much money Godolphin spends here or anywhere else or what their record is.

Keenland auctions and breeders care. ................just seeing Sheik Mo's private 747s parked on the Bluegrass Airport's tarmac made them salivate.

See, it's like this. They have absolutely no problem encouraging bidding wars especially during years when there was a glut of yearlings.....and doing substantial advertising for their sales to encourage this.

.............but then they resent him for actually buying the best stock. :D

Robert Fischer
09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
racing politics will always be a hot topic of conversation.

riskman
09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
You're right. ZERO graded stakes wins in the US so far in 2010 has to be looked at as a success.

At least you don't care though. Keep trying to convince yourself.

No, it is not a success depending on the # of horses who ran in GR1's this year.(which I don't know) Actually cj's poll sparked my curiosity and cared enough to research Godolphins website. To be honest, did not know the extent of their operations. There is 3 months left in 2010 and I am trying to convince myself to buy a T-shirt with Godolphin's colors with a big "G" to wear to the Breeders Cup this year. Maybe they will have a horse that will be competitive in a GR1. Miracles do happen.

the little guy
09-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Most of the " Godolphin " horses in the US are under the Darley name....and they aren't exactly lighting things up either. There were probably a couple hundred of those horses in Saratoga alone this summer. One hit the board in a 2YO maiden race....many did not.

riskman
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Most of the " Godolphin " horses in the US are under the Darley name....and they aren't exactly lighting things up either. There were probably a couple hundred of those horses in Saratoga alone this summer. One hit the board in a 2YO maiden race....many did not.

Thanks TLG.

PhantomOnTour
09-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Anyway, back to the endurance topic........

FenceBored
09-30-2010, 01:30 PM
No, it is not a success depending on the # of horses who ran in GR1's this year.(which I don't know) Actually cj's poll sparked my curiosity and cared enough to research Godolphins website. To be honest, did not know the extent of their operations. There is 3 months left in 2010 and I am trying to convince myself to buy a T-shirt with Godolphin's colors with a big "G" to wear to the Breeders Cup this year. Maybe they will have a horse that will be competitive in a GR1. Miracles do happen.

If the number of horses they have in the US who are capable of being competitive in graded races is lower this year than last, then that itself is an indication that they're having an off-year. If it were higher (not saying it is) then that would just make things worse.

As near as I can tell this is complete and accurate. I stopped at 9/21 as that was period covered by CJ's poll.

2009 US Graded Wins by Godolphin Racing LLC 1/1-9/21

Flashing (3yo f)

5/02 - G3 Nassau County
8/08 - G1 Test

Justenuffhumour (4yo c)

8/02 - G2 - FourStarDave
8/28 - G2 - Bernard Baruch

Music Note (4yo f)

8/29 - G1 - Ballerina

Pyro (4yo c)

9/05 - G1 - Forego

Regal Ransom (3yo c)

9/19 - G2 - Super Derby

Sara Louise (3yo f)

8/29 - G3 - Victory Ride

Seventh Street (4yo f)

4/04 - G1 - Apple Blossom
8/02 - G1 - Go For Wand

Totals: 10 Graded wins - 5 G1 - 3 G2 - 2 G3

2009 US Graded Wins by Darley Stable 1/1-9/21

Criticism (GB) (5yo m)

2/22 - G3 - Very One
4/25 - G2 - La Prevoyante
5/23 - G2 - Sheepshead Bay

Florentino (JPN) (3yo f)

6/13 - G3 - Jefferson Cup

Skylighter (4yo f)

5/16 - G2 - Allaire Dupont Distaff

Stormaloy (3yo c)

4/03 - G3 - Transylvania

Tizaqueena (4yo f)

5/02 - G2 - Distaff Turf Mile

Totals: 7 Graded wins - 0 G1 - 4 G2 - 3 G3
2010 US Graded Wins by Godolphin Racing LLC 1/1-9/21

(this space intentionally left blank)

Totals 0 Graded wins - 0 G1 - 0 G2 - 0 G3

2010 US Graded Wins by Darley Stable 1/1-9/21

Tizaqueena (5yo m)

5/29 - G3 - Arlington Matron

Totals 1 Graded wins - 0 G1 - 0 G2 - 1 G3
Combined Darley Stable and Godolphin Racing LLC:
(Jan. 1 - Sept. 21)

2009: 17 Graded wins - 5 G1 - 7 G2 - 5 G3
2010: 01 Graded wins - 0 G1 - 0 G2 - 1 G3

the little guy
09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Wasn't Justenuffhumor still Darley when he won those Stakes?

For what it's worth, Sara Louise won a G2 at Aqueduct in November, the Top Flight, Flashing won the G1 Gazelle the next day, and Vineyard Haven win the G1 DeFrances Dash at Laurel.

They had a very good year last year.

FenceBored
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Wasn't Justenuffhumor still Darley when he won those Stakes?

For what it's worth, Sara Louise won a G2 at Aqueduct in November, the Top Flight, Flashing won the G1 Gazelle the next day, and Vineyard Haven win the G1 DeFrances Dash at Laurel.

They had a very good year last year.

You are correct, sir. The 2010 ARM lists him as being Godolphin, but the transfer must have come after those two races. Non-claiming ownership changes are something I wish were easier to keep track of. Everyday Heros was initially on the list for Darley, but the trainer switch sparked a double check to see who had owned him the day he won the Hirsch Jacobs.

the little guy
09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
You are correct, sir. The 2010 ARM lists him as being Godolphin, but the transfer must have come after those two races. Non-claiming ownership changes are something I wish were easier to keep track of. Everyday Heros was initially on the list for Darley, but the trainer switch sparked a double check to see who had owned him the day he won the Hirsch Jacobs.

Come to think of it, Seventh Street was Darley in the Apple Blossom.

Justenuffhumor was pretty good until they put the Godolphin silks on him....or took him out of Kiaran's barn depending on how you want to look at it.