PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Upgrade

harpowitz
09-05-2001, 03:13 PM
Because I am computer challenged, I have a question about how to upgrade Internet Explorer 5.5 to Internet Explorer 6. Actally it's a number of questions: Do I have to delete 5.5 before installing 6? Can I download 6 from the MSN site to Desktop and then drag and drop it into the Internet icon? Will 6 overwrite 5.5 or will I end up with a mess that will require a visit to my friendly computer repair tech? Is it really necessary to go from5.5 to 6? Thanks for any and all help.

ceejay
09-05-2001, 03:42 PM
Herb:

Why are you upgrading???

My advice is:
Unless you must upgrade for a particular application/web site, don't. With the intergation of IE with the operating system strange things can happen. If you must upgrade, be sure to back up your system INCLUDING the registry first and make sure that you have a bootable diskette or CD.

Good luck.

Tim
09-05-2001, 10:43 PM
Herb,

When you are logged on to the internet, click on your Explorer menu bar item "tools" then click on "windows update". That will take you to a place where you can download and install Internet Explorer version 6. The install process will create a backup of your existing install. That will enable you to uninstall version 6 and revert back to your existing version in case things don't work out.

That said, a word of advice, never, I SAID NEVER, install any Mcrosoft product untill Microsoft releases the 1st service pack. (another name for service pack is "bug fixes"). New products and versions are unstable. Wait until someone else find the problems and Microsoft fixes them. Then do the upgrade. You don't need the frustration that goes along with being an early upgrader.

Tim.

harpowitz
09-06-2001, 03:01 AM
Thanks to both Ceejay and Tim for their comments. I've tried to locate what I was reading that caused me to think about upgrading. Until I find it and am convinced it's necessary I'm not doing anything. Gentlemen, thanks again.

09-06-2001, 09:38 AM
Just curious does anyone know if are there any user related features in 6 that one would want to upgrade for?

baravot
09-06-2001, 12:25 PM
IE 6.0 has a built-in cookie blocker with somewhat flexible settings. One caveat, however: if you install it now, you might find that you are unable to use it with some sites because it was just released. For example, I installed it and then uninstalled it because my bank has not made it's web site compatible with 6.0 and so I was unable to do on-line banking with it. Also, when I installed it, it wiped out all my usernames and passwords to protected sites. Tim's suggestion to wait until the first service pack is released is a good one.

Dave Schwartz
09-06-2001, 12:57 PM
On this subject, here is a website that is quite interesting...

Please excuse the name. (I didn't invent it.)

http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com/

Pay special attention to the section called "Microsoft'sReally Hidden Files."

We have put some time into verifying this and it is absolutely true! Those files exist.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

09-06-2001, 01:14 PM
thanks guys It sounds like this one really fits into not broke don't fix it category....for now anyway.

thanks for the link Dave will check it out

baravot
09-06-2001, 01:24 PM
Yeah, thanks for the link Dave. How many megs of crap did you find on your machine?

Dave Schwartz
09-06-2001, 02:22 PM
Baravot,

Well, my new machine is pretty clean. (Of course, I don't use email on that one and almost never browse.)

The other one had almost 300mb.

Dave

baravot
09-06-2001, 04:04 PM
Dave,

I sent an email to Fred Langa, publisher of the LangaList
(a free newsletter with lots of useful info about all aspects of computers) and he contends the "really hidden files" thing is a hoax. He also says he will be discussing it in an upcoming issue of his newsletter. You can sign up for his free newsletter at:

http://www.langa.com/

09-06-2001, 05:22 PM
since we are on the subject of microsoft, perhaps some one can help with this.

I set my pc to get the m_soft cirtical updates seemed like a good idea and I have gotten notifed and installed patches about 3 or 4 times.

But whenever I turn on my PC it schedules the "check for upgrades to check everyday at 5 min intervals. I have tried everything to reschedue to say once a month but whenever I reboot or turn on my pc it goes right back to every 5 min every day. Any suggestions?

baravot
09-06-2001, 05:47 PM
mrdezo,

My recommendation would be to kill the critical updates notification and check for updates every so often. A good way to do that is by using a handy piece of freeware called Startup Control Panel 2.7 by Mike Lin. It enables you to conveniently control which programs run at start up and once you've downloaded it and installed it, you will find the critcal updates notification under the tab HKLM/Run. Simply uncheck the box for the critcal updates and then reboot and your problem is solved.

The link to get it is:

http://www.mlin.net/

09-06-2001, 06:03 PM
baravot
thank you....sounds like a winner!!

NoDayJob
09-06-2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by mrdezo
since we are on the subject of microsoft, perhaps some one can help with this.

I set my pc to get the m_soft cirtical updates seemed like a good idea and I have gotten notifed and installed patches about 3 or 4 times.

But whenever I turn on my PC it schedules the "check for upgrades to check everyday at 5 min intervals. I have tried everything to reschedue to say once a month but whenever I reboot or turn on my pc it goes right back to every 5 min every day. Any suggestions?

On your computer go to PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SCHEDULED TASKS >

WINDOWS CRITICAL UPDATE NOTIFICATION > SCHEDULE > SCHEDULE TASK.......Change your

settings to what ever you want. That should do it! If not you may have a registry situation......

SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM INFORMATION > SYSTEM FILE CHECKER/REGISTRY CHECKER. GL -NDJ

Tom
09-06-2001, 08:58 PM
Just curious does anyone know if are there any user related features in 6 that one would want to upgrade for?

All kinds of new bugs, glitches, and problems for which there are no fixes as yet. Stay tuned for v7.0.
And they complain about Dave's software. This guy Gates if the biggest POS in the world!
Tom 531

09-08-2001, 08:05 AM
no day job

that's what I did went through all the screens and clicks and set it to check once a month. But whenever I shut the PC down or reboot goes right back to the check every day every 5 min schedule. I thought maybe M_soft put something in my PC that changes the sechdule to this at start up.

SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM INFORMATION > SYSTEM FILE CHECKER/REGISTRY CHECKER. GL -NDJ

Not exactly sure what I am looking if I do the above?

NoDayJob
09-08-2001, 10:50 PM
no day job

that's what I did went through all the screens and clicks and set it to check once a month. But whenever I shut the PC down or reboot goes right back to the check every day every 5 min schedule. I thought maybe M_soft put something in my PC that changes the sechdule to this at start up.

Not exactly sure what I am looking if I do the above?

If you run REGISTRY CHECKER then SYSTEM FILE CHECKER it will tell you if there are any files missing that might pertain to your situation. If any files are missing it will tell you which ones you need to reinstall. Otherwise without fooling around with your system startup I don't have an answer off the top of my head. -NDJ

P.S. I think this was already suggested but you can turn off WINDOWS UPDATE by going to START > SETTINGS > TASKBAR & START MENU > START MENU PROGRAMS > REMOVE > WINDOWS UPDATE. Then you can reverse the procedure if you want to use the update again. -NDJ