PDA

View Full Version : An Affair To Remember - Steve Willard/Zenyatta

WinterTriangle
09-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Very nice article off the beaten track, about Zen's exercize rider, 67 years old, who will be retiring when she retires. His nickname is "Grandpa"

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2010/sep/19/an-affair-to-remember-zenyatta-took-willard-on/#

"Theirs is a May-December relationship that began almost four years ago. She had spurned a handful of younger, would-be partners who tried to control her. He let her be herself......."

""I only got her through process of elimination. Three or four riders had tried her before me." Willard counted them off. "Frankie didn't like her; she bounced him off both rails," he said. "Another girl tried her, got bucked off. Another girl got dumped."

Mostly about Steve, but gives insight on the mare, too. He already retired once when Zen's shoes were pulled off and she was retired, but he came back when she came back, despite a chronic pain syndrome he has.....:)

Her 20-year-old pony, Hootie, is also retiring with Zen when she does.

Turkoman
09-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Nikki1997
09-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Very nice article off the beaten track, about Zen's exercize rider, 67 years old, who will be retiring when she retires. His nickname is "Grandpa"

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2010/sep/19/an-affair-to-remember-zenyatta-took-willard-on/#

"Theirs is a May-December relationship that began almost four years ago. She had spurned a handful of younger, would-be partners who tried to control her. He let her be herself......."

""I only got her through process of elimination. Three or four riders had tried her before me." Willard counted them off. "Frankie didn't like her; she bounced him off both rails," he said. "Another girl tried her, got bucked off. Another girl got dumped."

Mostly about Steve, but gives insight on the mare, too. He already retired once when Zen's shoes were pulled off and she was retired, but he came back when she came back, despite a chronic pain syndrome he has.....:)

Her 20-year-old pony, Hootie, is also retiring with Zen when she does.

I thought this was a refreshingly candid article and enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for posting it here, WT.

joanied
09-27-2010, 04:18 PM
I had also read that article...and absolutley loved it...glad you posted it, Winter T:) ...I can sure relate to Steve's relationship with Zenyatta..in fact, I think any of us that have that true love for these horses can relate to it...once you fall 'in love' with a special horse, it's all over but the shouting:D ...I tell ya, when that mare walks down the shedrow for the last time, there won't be a dry eye in the barn...and my heart goes out to everyone of the folks there, the barn is going to seem awful empty once she's gone, even with her half sibling there...nothing will be the same for any of them...ever again!!

I get the Bloodhorse magazine, I'm always a week behind, but read it cover to cover anyway...and in the 9/18 edition they had a story about a day in Zenyatta's life at the barn...they really treat her like a queen...she's out of her stall alot, and she gets her beer everyday....I love this suff...I also admire Sherriff's way of doing things...a quiet barn, and the fact he feeds the horses in a tub on the ground...their natural way of eating is to have their head's down on ground level...everything should be fed that way, ahy & grain, and if they are like me...when I had to stall a horse, like my mares at foaling time, I'd hang their water bucket so it was just inches from the stall floor, so they drank in a natural stance also...Sherriff's is an outstanding trainer, no doubt about it.

SmartyParty
09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
What a terrific article; gave me goosebumps!

WinterTriangle
09-28-2010, 05:03 AM
As an aside, I was reading on Fran Jurga's blog.

(You know the cliches about women and shoes. :D )

anyway, she has some GREAT photos of Rachel Alexandra's gams, from Vogue, and also of Zenyatta's.

Couldn't get Zen's to come up without going here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alydar_1978/3795862483/

As fran noted, whoever took the photo probably put their life at risk LOL

But this is called The Power of Zenatta and take a look at that backside and legs, with the 129 pound impost. :eek:

joanied
09-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Fantastic photos:ThmbUp:
Did you see this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alydar_1978/3809887395/in/photostream/

it's also of her from behind...another awesome power shot. I loved the photo of Z & Mike approaching the gate, and he's giving her neck a kiss:kiss:

I love this stuff...thanks, Winter T

I'd like to see all the photos...including Rachel's... could you post a link to Fran Jurga's blog??