PDA

View Full Version : Lost Files

Hammerhead
09-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I lost all result files for AP from the beginning of the meet threw Sep 3rd of this year They are the exotic result files from Bris. Would anyone be kind enough to send them to me via e-mail? I tried go back but did'nt work.

Tom
09-25-2010, 07:27 PM
I think you can get them from the Archives section of BRIS.

HUSKER55
09-26-2010, 07:16 AM
just a thought, if you use a restore point on your computer are files brought back?

I don't know. Just asking.

anyone?

BillW
09-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Hammer, just a thought. Bris keeps track of what you buy. You might try asking them if they will replace them. (yea I know, it's the biggest longshot you will have hit in your life :D )

Hammerhead
09-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Dam first time ever I deleted the original files. Tried go back and it didn't work. I have most files going back to 2005 but somehow lost these for AP. :bang:

KyRacer
09-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Hammer,

Did you check the Recycle Bin on your desk top? If you haven't emptied it, they might be in there. There are also some programs to recover deleted files ,if the files haven't been written over. You might try here:

download.cnet.com (http://download.cnet.com/1770-2248_4-0.html?query=file+recovery&searchtype=downloads&rpp=10&filter=platform=Windows&filterName=platform=Windows)

wes
09-27-2010, 04:32 PM
check in each track Directory. I had the same thing happen and found them in another track directory.

wes

vegasone
09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
if it is VISTA or win 7 there is a shadow copy feature that may have the files copied.... check google to activate or download program to access backed up files.

wilderness
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
check in each track Directory. I had the same thing happen and found them in another track directory.

wes

wes,
you must be the one-tenth of one-hundredth exception ;)

99.99 percent of users just dump everything into "My Documents".

I've quite a complicated directory structrure, which approaches 10k with sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub, perhaps even deeper.
Last time I checked it was around six deep, and I've not checked recently.

Start
Search
For files or folders, will also work if you know the name of the file or extension.
It make time some time to start at your C:\root and search your entire computer, so take a walk and come back.

Hammerhead
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
All my races automaticly go to there own track folders on download. There is a entry and result folder for each track by year. This is from equism what is I have used from 2004 or before. Aparently without looking where I was I deleted the files from April 29th through September 3rd of 2010 as I thought I was deleting the expanded files. I tried a couple programs to bring them back and was able to see a few of them. After retreving them they were to far gone to use.

wilderness
09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
In today's OS (i. E., Windoze, which writes files constantly), any chance of recovering deleted files is pretty much impossible.

In the old-DOS days, DOS simply renamed the file with a leading question mark.
Ex:
If your file was named "horse"?
Upon deletion, DOS renamed the file "?orse", which allowed you to recover the file within a reasonable period.

Windows still uses DOS today, and in the background, unfortunately blank data spaces on hard-drives (deleted files or otherwise) are filled rather rapidly, and in many instances with useless data and/or files.

vegasone
09-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Not true..see above about shadow copy feature. It could actually be a lot easier.

wilderness
09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
If it's not true?

Than why original inquiry, and why didn't he/she simply retrieve the lost files from that source?

vegasone
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
if you don't know how to do somehting then it isn't simple....like anything else, that is why people ask