PDA

View Full Version : Dmr Match Race

BillW
09-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Is is just me or does the match race between two jockeys seem a little too commercial (distasteful?) in a sport that should be about the horses. Has there ever been a Jock vs. Jock match race held before? I haven't decided that I like the jockey challenges yet either, but this seems to be going just a bit overboard.

I just hope the horses survive this spectacle in good health.

Bill

Observer
09-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Krone and Stevens were in a match race in 1996 at Santa Anita. (Stevens was the winning rider). Originally, this match race was supposed to be between Krone and Stevens, but PVal became the sub when Stevens was hurt in the Arlington Million.

What I don't like about this is how it seemingly places everything on the riders .. like the horse they're on have nothing to do with it. I do think it's good to promote the humans in the game, since they're more likely to be around for a few more years than any one horse. Of course, the main group putting their dollars through the windows couldn't care less about these such things .. but they'll probably make a bet on this race anyway .. even though it is win wagers only.

freeneasy
09-07-2003, 02:12 AM
that this was some kind of promo like the ones they have at hollywood park every season when they load the jocks up in the gate and stage like a 50 yard foot race. at first i thought that was what this match race was going to be, a 50 yard dash between krone and patrick. hey and its a betting race to.

BillW
09-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Free,

That was my thought. At least maybe have a sumo match or some midget tossing (How far does the jockey fly?) But once they climb on a horse, it is all about the horse, they are passengers.

Sure a good jockey can keep a horse from losing and therefore does make a difference, but wining is more about the horse (and trainer).

And what's the deal with carding this race as a $300,000 claimer? Must be some sort of technicality.

I'd love to see 2 scratches and a walk-over. :D

Bill

freeneasy
09-07-2003, 11:49 AM
i saw that. you got a winner at a $50,000 md. clmr. and hes in for $300,000 today.
kind of a junk promo.

Pace Cap'n
09-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Kind of makes you feel for the guy that's, say, out of the country right now, comes back in a few weeks, and sees one of those horses in for $30,000.

He'll be going, "Damn, talk about your class droppers!".

Tom
09-07-2003, 03:56 PM
So why are there 3 horses in the match race? In case on scratches, they go to the Ae?

WINMANWIN
09-07-2003, 09:48 PM
I have to admit I thought Pat V was beaten, He just kept coming and nailed Julie. The Joke was Pat V was fist pumping about 30 times after he crossed the wire. It was like, he won the derby:confused: In fact I have seen jocks WIN many Big races over the years, but I cant remember a jock celebrating so much.
I doubt Julie would do that much celebrating, If she WON.
Jesus Pat, All that was missing were the cartwheels.:eek:

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2003, 09:57 PM
That was a pretty unbelievable race. No way in 1,000,000 years did I think Pat V. would be able to come back and win. Both horses were toasted by the time they hit the stretch. I thought it would just be a matter of attrition, and Julie was gonna win by default....

Holy Cow did her horse fall apart in the last 16th.....exciting race though, but it looked like it must have taken a hell of a toll on both horses......

==PA