PDA

View Full Version : Yankees

GaryG
09-23-2010, 01:33 PM
In the past several years there has been a lot of venom directed at the NYY, both by Red Sox fans and just plain Yankee-haters. Have all the Sox fans been banished for their poor manners, or do they just not care? I am a life-long fan of the Yanks and miss those threads. Then there was Dan G with the view from Tampa. Well hell, GO YANKS!!

cj's dad
09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I am an O's fan. I do however have one tenet regarding baseball;

ABB - translation - "anybody but Boston"

2 World Series wins in modern times and their fans walk around like they won 28. Hell, the O's have won 3 !!!

Yes, some Yankee fans can be obnoxious when they come to Baltimore, but they have won 28 world series !!

riskman
09-23-2010, 02:40 PM
As we know,he Red Sox history has been marked by the team's rivalry with the New York Yankees, one of the most intense in professional sports. With the the "Curse of the Bambino" finally ended in 2004 an 86-year wait (before the team's sixth World Championship in 2004). Since 2003, the Red Sox have been regular playoff contenders and have won two World Series. The rivalry is still there but not as fierce as it once was. Maybe the Bambino curse and a few world series mellowed some. If I remember correctly, the NE Patriots also won the Super Bowl in 2004 giving Boston fans a double whammy.

I am a Yankee fan and could not wait to attend or watch the games between the two. Not into as much as before but still have my red T shirt that reads "Boston Sucks" :D

OTM Al
09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
but they have won 28 world series !!

Actually 27, but perhaps you are a prophet!

I have a friend who is from MA and is a Sox fan. He loved it when they won of course, but the next year he told me it just didn't seem the same anymore when now the team had much greater expectations. It very much changed his attitude toward Yankee fans and made him understand why so many became disappointed if they didn't win it all year after year. Boston fans still love their team, but actually winning was a hard reality for many. It changed their feelings toward the club.

Personally, I grew up as a Cubs fan and thought I would get my wish to see the Cubs play the Yanks in 2003 (I would have had to pull for the Cubs) but alas no. So honestly, I still enjoy it every time I get to see the Yanks win one. Wouldn't begrudge the Mets one either but don't see that happening any time soon. Baseball is a game from NYC so it always feels right when a New York team is there. Had the Yanks actually gotten Cliff Lee it would be really tough to beat them, but should be a pretty competitive playoff season. Logic dictates a Yanks Phils rematch, but either team could be beaten.

bigmack
09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
It borders on the absurd that one player on the Yankees makes a similar amount to an entire team salary.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/9_23_10_13_54_47.png

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
GaryG,

I find it interesting that you are a Yankee fan considering your avatar. :bang:

Dave

GaryG
09-23-2010, 05:42 PM
GaryG,

I find it interesting that you are a Yankee fan considering your avatar. :bang:

DaveOnly the BASEBALL variety Dave. I got The Mick's autograph as a youngster and was hooked. Definition of a Damn Yankee: One that arrives from the north pulling a U-Haul trailer.

OTM Al
09-23-2010, 06:33 PM
It borders on the absurd that one player on the Yankees makes a similar amount to an entire team salary.

It borders on absurd to me that people still don't get this one. Those teams at the bottom of the list all make money and are quite happy with it. The players, like any other worker are worth whatever they can get.

bigmack
09-23-2010, 06:50 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/900.jpg

http://www.athbaseball.com/20100304206/2010-archives/march/mlb-salary-cap-debating-the-merits.html

Marshall Bennett
09-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Go Rangers....fourth from the bottom of the list .

JustRalph
09-23-2010, 09:51 PM
2003 Marlins

Jack Mckeon takes over after they go 16-22 and helms them right through the World Series win

A fantastic feat for a manager. Nothing like it in the last twenty years
:ThmbUp:

bigmack
09-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Don't mean to 'jack the thread' but I read an article today about the Rays owner saying he is definitely cutting the payroll next year in light of their pale home attendance record.

Odd thing to say while they're still in the hunt this year.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/9_23_10_19_46_53.png

eastie
09-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Only the BASEBALL variety Dave. I got The Mick's autograph as a youngster and was hooked. Definition of a Damn Yankee: One that arrives from the north pulling a U-Haul trailer.

Up North at least we use trucks to pull U haul trailers and not a guy on each side like down south.

It's tougher to hate the yankees, since they only have one real villain. The other guys like Jeter, Posada, and Rivera are so solid it's tough to hate em. The Rays are impossible to root for, they are everything that's wrong in the world. Thus, you have no root, and wait till next year when we get healthy and return to the winner's circle for another world series. Imagine what it must be like rooting for the Balmer Oroles....

bigmack
09-24-2010, 02:07 AM
The Rays are impossible to root for, they are everything that's wrong in the world.
Do tell.

cj's dad
09-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Imagine what it must be like rooting for the Balmer Oroles...

Yeah it's been tough since 97 but at the very least they are playing in a beautiful ballpark not a dump like Fenway Park.

And, I almost forgot - three WS wins not 2 like the Sux.

PaceAdvantage
09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm a die hard Yankee fan, but even I have to admit that I love Fenway as a ballpark. Went to many a game there in my university days...

lamboguy
09-24-2010, 11:48 AM
fenway park had a section in what used to be the right field bleachers that used to cost $1.00 for admission that had about 300 people betting on the ballgame from pitch to pitch.the last i was there was 1974. there were a bunch of characters there like "johnnie providence", "jerry the roach", "yudi the coalman", "pittsburgh phil". all day they used to shout out "who needs 5/2 the batter don't reach" or " i am laying 100 to five against the homerun"

in the ninth inning with the redsox down 4 runs, "who needs a thousand to forty on the red sox"?

eastie
09-24-2010, 01:32 PM
what about the guy who sold the peanuts. "Peanuts, cashews, pistachios". if you took too long getting out of the way he would give you a real loud one right in your ear, which would then ring for a week. The beertentders at Fenway had a love affair with Mike Boddicker. After every pitch he would walk around the mound once or twice. Since beer sales got shut off after the seventh, They got a lot of extra selling time with the 4 hour games he pitched. At Northeastern we used to have Boddicker nights where we'd all go and get wrecked at the game in the bleachers when he pitched . Dice K would be kind of like a modern example of a SLOW working pitcher.

Canarsie
09-24-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm a huge Sox fan always getting grief being a Brooklyn boy. When the Dodgers moved even though I was young became a Yaz and "Monster" fan and have rooted for the uniform ever since.

Here are some songs from them they won in 2004 from my youtube site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkIcrEZfhO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cju4vMO7vtI&feature=related

I also have a great video from that year that keeps getting rejected. I'll try to put it up on SuperNova again and see if it takes.

There's also a great Quaalude video on there for you old guys like me. :lol:

Dave Schwartz
09-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Only the BASEBALL variety Dave. I got The Mick's autograph as a youngster and was hooked. Definition of a Damn Yankee: One that arrives from the north pulling a U-Haul trailer.

I hear ya, Gary.

funny, I was listening to Elvis' Trilogy the other day which includes Dixie. Nearly brought tears to my eyes.

(Yet, I, too, am a Yankee fan.)

I also had an experience with Mickey. I was 14. Went to an awards banquet for Jr. High School players. Up until then he was my hero. He was drunk as a skunk and reeked of cigarettes. After that he was just my favorite player.

Dave

lamboguy
09-24-2010, 03:09 PM
what about the guy who sold the peanuts. "Peanuts, cashews, pistachios". if you took too long getting out of the way he would give you a real loud one right in your ear, which would then ring for a week. The beertentders at Fenway had a love affair with Mike Boddicker. After every pitch he would walk around the mound once or twice. Since beer sales got shut off after the seventh, They got a lot of extra selling time with the 4 hour games he pitched. At Northeastern we used to have Boddicker nights where we'd all go and get wrecked at the game in the bleachers when he pitched . Dice K would be kind of like a modern example of a SLOW working pitcher.you missed hot pretzels, that had to be the greek guy nick

bigmack
09-27-2010, 12:15 AM
9/26: Well that was an odd win. How many steals on Rivera in the 9th, 5?