PDA

View Full Version : Gruden and Jaws

mountainman
09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Is it my imagination, or does Gruden talk to Jaworski like Batman addressing Boy Wonder? And doesn't Gruden sound a LOT like Kurt Russell's character from 'Big Trouble in Little China'?

I could almost stand Gruden's arrogance if he weren't such a shameless redboarder. Did anyone notice the other night when after San Fran completed a long pass Gruden exclaimed: "I could see that play coming a MILE away!" Oh really Jon? Psssst, coach Gruden, it's customary to make predictions BEFORE the fact if you intend to take credit AFTER the fact.

And when did Nfl analysts in general adopt such judgemental, lecturing tones?
"There, just like I said, THAT'S how you do it," they crow when strategy and execution meet their approval. Nor does off-the-field conduct escape their all-knowing purview. Take the incredible, one-handed catch Randy Moss made Sunday. Again, was it my imagination, or did some talking heads downplay it ever so slightly in the wake of Moss's disgruntled remarks made the week before?

rastajenk
09-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Valid observations, all. My current weekly complaint this year is with Herb Kirkstreet on the college games. It tires me out to listen to him speak in long paragraphs at high volume about situations that aren't really THE MOST CRITICAL MOMENT OF THE ENTIRE FOOTBALL SEASON RIGHT HERE ON THIS PLAY, even though he makes it sound as though it is. I'm pooped before halftime. For all the knocks Brentburger has taken all the years, he keeps a game moving along all right. Herbstreit has passed the point of diminishing returns.

Rookies
09-23-2010, 09:40 AM
For all the knocks Brentburger has taken all the years, he keeps a game moving along all right.

Not only that, he BETS them ! Always allusions to the U/O close to the pistol going off.

As for the rest, if you're watching the NFL, the vast majority of game announcers are toadies and flacks for the league. They will rarely step out and make a pointed criticism of anybody/thing- the rules, players, coaches, GMs and especially the Sugar Daddy Owners.

Like the Detroit non-TD catch.

God knows, they could/shoulda levelled the entire Bills' org for putting a pathetic product on the field, but they don't!

sandpit
09-23-2010, 09:42 PM
I could almost stand Gruden's arrogance if he weren't such a shameless redboarder. Did anyone notice the other night when after San Fran completed a long pass Gruden exclaimed: "I could see that play coming a MILE away!" Oh really Jon? Psssst, coach Gruden, it's customary to make predictions BEFORE the fact if you intend to take credit AFTER the fact.

Makes me yearn for the days of Jack Buck and Hank Stram calling MNF on the radio. Buck could paint the picture so clear you could see it, and Hank's knowledge of the game was so awesome it was ridiculous. He would say something like "Oakland is cheating their safety and linebackers up slightly on the right side to stop Franco; Bradshaw should be able to hit the TE on the left for a good gain." And, bam, that's exactly what would happen. Buck would always give Hank a complient, like he really appreciated the honor to be able to work with the coach.

slew101
09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
What burned me on Monday was the three stooges in the booth portraying Reggie Bush as a victim. Now we know Gruden's agenda. Everyone is great because he's looking for his next job. But what about the other two?

Tirico is the biggest ass-kisser in broadcasting. He says "I'm surprised no former Heisman winners came to Reggie's defense."

Really? Maybe because they won the award without shitting on the NCAA rulebook. And then later he says "we're not trying to make excuses here. Rules were broken."

Is it my imagination, or does Gruden talk to Jaworski like Batman addressing Boy Wonder? And doesn't Gruden sound a LOT like Kurt Russell's character from 'Big Trouble in Little China'?

And when did Nfl analysts in general adopt such judgemental, lecturing tones?
"There, just like I said, THAT'S how you do it," they crow when strategy and execution meet their approval. Nor does off-the-field conduct escape their all-knowing purview. Take the incredible, one-handed catch Randy Moss made Sunday. Again, was it my imagination, or did some talking heads downplay it ever so slightly in the wake of Moss's disgruntled remarks made the week before?