PDA

View Full Version : jockey Reyes: 63 days + 1 bulge in his pants

The_Knight_Sky
09-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Reyes given 30-day suspension for weighing out with prohibited item
http://www.drf.com/news/reyes-given-30-day-suspension-weighing-out-prohibited-item

(Jockey Christian Santiago) Reyes was assigned to carry 118 pounds aboard Jenny Jenny Emily, but weighed out in the jockeys’ room before the race at 116.5 pounds. According to the statement of decision, Reyes was asked to step on the scale a second time when Hollywood Park clerk of scales Ruben Hernandez testified that he noticed a bulge in Reyes’s pant leg, above the boot near his left knee. Hernandez felt the object, and determined that it was a one-pound weight.

Hernandez ordered Reyes off the scale, told him to remove the object and then watched the jockey step on the scale and weigh out at the correct weight. After track stewards were alerted of the situation, Reyes was asked to weigh out a fourth time :blush: in the presence of racing board investigators.

The stewards did not agree, writing in the statement of decision “In reality, the identity of the item is not important, rather the presence of that item is the fact that is germane to the rule.”

The_Knight_Sky
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
hmm. No snide remarks about the "bulge"?

I am truly amazed at the genteel approach to this P.A. thread. :D

FenceBored
09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
hmm. No snide remarks about the "bulge"?

I am truly amazed at the genteel approach to this P.A. thread. :D

Naw, it's just been done already:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=948994&postcount=5

Tom
09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Maybe he was just happy to see the stewards?

The Clerk of Scales is a very brave man!

ba dum.

DJofSD
09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Don't ask, don't tell?

The_Knight_Sky
09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Naw, it's just been done already:

Ah.

What hasn't been "done" is the 63 days total this rider has to serve.

Ain't California racing wonderful ? :P

Shelby
09-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Well, a bulge in the pants is worth two in the bush.....

FenceBored
09-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Shelby, I'm afraid that someone must point this out. To men that statement is completely backwards.

The_Knight_Sky
09-23-2010, 02:50 PM
“Ninety-eight percent of the appeals of suspensions that I witnessed during my career was to buy time,” said retired Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey. “There’s no reason to do this. It’s bordering on the ridiculous now.”

Rather than in good faith, Bailey pointed out, the appeals are used as a vehicle to “run out the clock” until they are dropped during a quiet period in the racing calendar. The multi-layered appeals process has created a bureaucratic logjam for stewards and racing boards. Some states, such as New York, automatically reduce a suspension from seven to three days if a jockey does not appeal.

DRF article by Ryan Goldberg:
http://www.drf.com/news/suspended-jockeys-mocking-system

JustRalph
09-23-2010, 05:04 PM

I am really trying to figure that statement out............???