PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Jack Kelly

pandy
09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I was sorry to hear about the passing of Jack Kelly at the age of 61 as reported on the NYRA website today. Most of you probably never heard of him but he was a longtime chart caller who worked the NYRA tracks and by his own estimation called charts at one time or another at 44 tracks and over 50,000 races. I'm a former chart caller myself but Jack Kelly was regarded as one of the best chart callers in the business and was also a very nice guy who loved racing. Jack was a fixture at the NYRA tracks for many years.

the little guy
09-22-2010, 01:29 PM
He was a terrific person who will be missed by many people.

Vinnie
09-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I had never before heard of this extremely special person (Mr. Jack Kelly) that both Pandy and TLG speak of, I do know however, for you both to speak of him in such warm and sentimental terms, he must have indeed been one special human being. May he rest in peace and may the Lord grant his family some semblance of peace as they grieve for the loss of their loved one. I will light a candle and say a prayer for he and his family at my favorite shrine this evening.

All the BEST!

PaceAdvantage
09-22-2010, 11:47 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/58962/chart-caller-kelly-dies-at-age-61

According to a release from The Jockey Club, Kelly once estimated he had worked at 44 different racetracks through the years and had probably called more than 50,000 races.

The_Knight_Sky
09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Is this the same Jack Kelly with the distinctive moustache?

If so, I believe he appeared a few times on the Racing From The Meadowlands program way back when it was on the MSG network.