PDA

View Full Version : A Good Friend Is Gone

Partsnut
09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
A Good Friend Is Gone

It was back in 1988 when my wife and I moved to Las Vegas
It was at that time I met Doug Manley who then worked for the Gamblers Book Store.
It was years later when we met again at the Expo in 1993. Doug was with his wife Sharon and I was with my wife
Margie. Sharon was one of the best natural handicappers I have seen. She passed away a few years ago.
My wife and Sharon hit it off and from that time forward we were very good friends. Doug was always
invited to the Breeders Cup and Kentucky Derby parties and always got my wife and I invited as well. We visted each others homes.
Doug and I smoked some great cigars together.
and we were very good friends.

I was on Skype today to see if Doug was online. It had been a few months since we last video conferenced.
He was not there so I called Post Time Solutions and found out that Doug had passed away 3 weeks ago.
Doug put together what is now Post Time Solutions. He made the intial introduction of Eric Langjar and Michael Pizzola with what was then the DRF and is now Equibase.

I will miss my good friend. We had lot's of good times together. I an deeply saddened by his passing.

Donnie
09-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Very sorry to hear Partsnut. Time will heal the sorrow. Sounds like they were a great couple. Cherish the memories!

lamboguy
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Very sorry to hear Partsnut. Time will heal the sorrow. Sounds like they were a great couple. Cherish the memories!sorry to hear that, white light going out to his family and friends.

Nets
09-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Sorry for your loss. It is a blessing to have had such a friend.

Dave Schwartz
09-20-2010, 06:50 PM
I knew Doug as well from back in the days of the "old" Las Vegas (i.e. Huey Mahl, Bob Baskitt, et all). He was a fine man. In the early '90s I tried to hire him away from Pizzolla but he was a died-in-the-wool Las Vegan.

May he be at peace.

Dave

Partsnut
09-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Very sorry to hear Partsnut. Time will heal the sorrow. Sounds like they were a great couple. Cherish the memories!

Donnie, Doug had a hard outward exterior but inwardly, he had a heart of gold.
Sharon was a sweetheart.
They were indeed a great couple.

I really appreciate the kind words from those who have responded and those that may.

Learned Hand35
09-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Partsnut:

True friends are hard to come by in this world, and it sounds like you had a great one.

I am sorry for your loss.

Partsnut
09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Dave Schwartz:

I knew Doug as well from back in the days of the "old" Las Vegas (i.e. Huey Mahl, Bob Baskitt, et all). He was a fine man. In the early '90s I tried to hire him away from Pizzolla but he was a died-in-the-wool Las Vegan.

May he be at peace.
Dave

Dave, I can tell you first hand that Doug had the greatest respect and admiration for you and often said to me that you were one of the smartest people in the game. he was right on all counts.

Trotman
09-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Partsnut my sincere condolences. I too lost my best friend Andy Smitts this past March who mentored privately under none other than Ray Taulbot and this started in 1952 till Ray's death in 69. I remember my old man always telling me to live life to the fullest and never waste a minute, but cherish the memories. You my friend in your words tell me it was special, hold on to them and keep your chin up.

Partsnut
09-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Trotman: Partsnut my sincere condolences. I too lost my best friend Andy Smitts this past March who mentored privately under none other than Ray Taulbot and this started in 1952 till Ray's death in 69. I remember my old man always telling me to live life to the fullest and never waste a minute, but cherish the memories. You my friend in your words tell me it was special, hold on to them and keep your chin up.

Your words are soothing and eloquently expressed. They tell me that you are a caring person with deep feelings and a big heart.
They are very much appreciated. Your father was a very wise man.
Life passes us by in the blink of an eye.

Trotman
09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Partsnut love thy neighbour and brother, not my words our creators, all we should do is try and live by these words of wisdom.

kingfin66
09-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Indeed Doug had a tough, no-nonsense exterior, but was truly a great guy. When you called Post Time, his was the voice on the other end of the line. Let me tell you, he knew who all of the customers were by name. Doug was devastated when his wife died in early 2008. I wonder if he ever recovered from that. If I have one regret it is that I never got to meet him in person even after attending a couple of seminars.

Doug did indeed have a healthy respect for others involved in the game, especially Dave Schwartz and Ken Massa.

Dave Schwartz: You would have been very lucky indeed to hire Doug away from Pizzolla, but look on the bright side, you probably helped him get a raise!

RIP Doug Manley

joanied
09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Always so sad to loose a good friend...cherish the memories. I am sorry for your loss.

castaway01
09-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Sorry for your loss; may he rest in peace.

PaceAdvantage
09-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Partsnut, I'm very sorry for your loss.