PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine Mile

PhantomOnTour
09-19-2010, 12:57 AM
No thread yet so....

Who ya like?
I am tempted to just go Euro with Famous Name and be done with it. Multiple Group 3 winners over there are usually good enough to handle anything we have over here, even at our Grade 1 level. He loves the mile distance as well.

One horse keeps sticking in my mind and that's the bomb Zifzaf (#3)...30-1 ML. Each turf race has been faster than the previous one (Beyerwise) and his last fig puts him on the cusp of being able to run with this bunch. Chased a serious speed horse in the 4StarDave (Get Stormy) on a seriously speedy Sar turf and finished up well to grab 3rd in a Gr2 race. Trainer Jimmy Toner has worked him four times since that race including a sharp 5f move on Aug 30th. Positive jock switch from Hill to Leparoux, who will hopefully keep him a bit farther back than he's been in previous races. Do not want him mixing it up with or sitting too close the #5,6,10 horses who should carve out the splits. Romped in a one turn Bel turf mile and Woodbine is also only one turn going a mile. Don't expect to get all of that 30-1 ML but he should be good value and I'm hoping he gets a share at odds.

PhantomOnTour
09-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Grand Adventure is also one to consider, but he, Famous Name and The Usual QT are in the 3 outside posts.

Rise Over Run
09-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Lately it's been a pretty safe bet to take the "B-Level" Euro to handle whatever north american contingent shows up.

Trotman
09-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Keep in mind the Euro's love the E.P. Taylor turf course.

DJofSD
09-19-2010, 10:49 AM
When are changes posted?

andymays
09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I think the winner will come from one of the three outside posts.

:11: :12: :13:

:11: :12: :13:

:2: :4: :11: :12: :13:

:2: :4: :11: :12: :13:

DJofSD
09-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I will try to beat the :11: with the :9: . Subject to change due to late changes, i.e. early pace setters not in the race.

PhantomOnTour
09-19-2010, 11:31 AM
When are changes posted?
Dunno...checked the WO site and they have nothing yet. They should have been up by about 10-10:15 central time, but not yet....

parlay
09-19-2010, 11:35 AM
unfortunately i have some family commitments that will prevent me from
attending today. I will watch from home.
The horse that catches my eye is Grand Adventure. He represents the home team here, Sam Son Farms,Mark Frostad and Patrick Husbands.
PH rides this turf course better than anyone.
Sam Son has been very patient with this nicely bred Grand Slam.
A 3 race two year old campaign culminated with a dissapointing BC debut.
A 10 month layoff was ended with a victory at 6 1/2 f , a prep, for last years edition of this event. In that race he gave an excellent effort against what i would consider to be a tougher field than this years. The subsequent turnback for the 6f Nearctic was a difficult assignment, and a troubled trip
resulted in a 6th place finish. FG reapearance at 5 1/2 f was very good, the dirt experiment that followed wasn't. The Shakertown was an excellent return.
Returning to WO he blossomed, 2 strong victories and a 2nd on a yielding course and a distance that is probably beyond his scope against top level competition.
I see him as improving and talented, with the right connections.
One concern, he really hasn't shown the ability to pass horses to earn a victory.
If i get the 8-1 ML i will make the play.

DJofSD
09-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Changes are up. 1 overweight in the feature, no other changes for that race.

Grits
09-19-2010, 12:43 PM
http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/Woodbine/Racing/Pages/RaceEntries.aspx

46zilzal
09-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Top choice here would go to the 4 Court Vision but the long shot possibility here is the 3 Zifzaf. Crowded House has been, relative to this field, a failure in North America so far. More likely pace horses which, may or may hang on but usually don't, are 2 Victor's Cry and 9 Riviera Cocktail. One cannot dismiss Dermot Weld as those connections have won this race many times so Famous Name (gr two winner and Gr. 1 placed) has to be a consideration. The odds board, as usual, should tell one the overlay.

cj
09-19-2010, 01:15 PM
I think the two ML faves have little shot here, meaning the race is loaded with value.

DJofSD
09-19-2010, 01:17 PM
I think the two ML faves have little shot here, meaning the race is loaded with value.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Charlie D
09-19-2010, 01:27 PM
:1:
:4: :12:

DJofSD
09-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I liked Crowded House in the Pacific Classic. And I like him here in some exactas.

Dahoss9698
09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Seems like Famous Name is the horse to beat, but I think he is going to take a lot of money. I don't like Court Vision at all and can't believe he's the 2nd choice in the ML. I hope he gets bet. I'm also against The Usual QT who is a very nice horse, but I wonder if they are going to the well one too many times.

I'm betting Crowded House. Gets a nice jock upgrade. He probably moved a bit early last time and even still ran well. I like the cutback and while it seems he prefers longer, he did win a group 1 at a mile as a 2 year old in Europe.

Win #:1:

Exacta :1: / :3: ,:6: ,:7: ,:12:

Exacta :12: / :1: ,:3: ,:6: ,:7:

DeanT
09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Interesting race.

I am probably going to be keying the six in the horizontals and try to get paid if it happens to hit.

JustRalph
09-19-2010, 03:31 PM
:2: :9: :13:

Hoofhearted
09-19-2010, 05:21 PM
If the going is Good - Firm I will swerve Famous Name.
Firm ground will not suit the horse, imo.

Tee
09-19-2010, 05:29 PM
:2: Victor's Cry & :4: Court Vison

JustRalph
09-19-2010, 05:35 PM
the :9: looked like hell in the post parade..........Yikes! :eek:

maybe move him off tick and put the :3: on..........court vision looks pretty good in the parade

Tom
09-19-2010, 05:36 PM
:2::3::5::6:

What the heck - box for a deuce. Box the tri for a buck. All good odds.

Bet each to win, too..

:2: $10
:3: $5
:5: $5
:6: $4

$72

Pass another Labatts.

WinterTriangle
09-19-2010, 05:40 PM
#2 and #11 have the best stamina to complete this, but I don't think they will like any give in the turf.

Some of the real longshots are coming up with some decent scores in my scoring system to include on tickets:

Signature Red (take him over Smokey IMHO)
Ziffzaff
Auteur

Straight Story and Grand Adventure look great on the track, so I'll play twith my longshots.

Dahoss9698
09-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Congrats to anyone that had the winner. I would have needed to buy the race to use him.

WinterTriangle
09-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Top choice here would go to the 4 Court Vision

:2: Victor's Cry & :4: Court Vison

Nice goin' ya'll. :ThmbUp:

Exciting race, really couldn't call it til the last minute....certain didn't see Woodbourne

Tom
09-19-2010, 05:54 PM
:2::3::5::6:

What the heck - box for a deuce. Box the tri for a buck. All good odds.

Bet each to win, too..

:2: $10
:3: $5
:5: $5
:6: $4

$72

Pass another Labatts.

:lol: I bet 4 HORSES and don't get one of the to 4 slots!
Talk about stinking up the joint....Saratoga Part Duex!
I gotta go lay down.

senortout
09-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Nice goin' ya'll. :ThmbUp:

Exciting race, really couldn't call it til the last minute....certain didn't see Woodbourne
Woodbourne had his mind on running today, was midpack going into the clubhouse turn, came on, and lost third with an eighth of a mile or so left, came on with good courage and regained third on the line. I had a show on em, made my day.!!!!
senortout

DeanT
09-19-2010, 06:15 PM
:lol: I bet 4 HORSES and don't get one of the to 4 slots!
Talk about stinking up the joint....Saratoga Part Duex!
I gotta go lay down.

:D

I really, really did not like the four and eleven.

Reminder for me: Box the ones I do not like :)

senortout
09-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Anyone else left scratching their heads a bit over how the expected early speed failed to run to expectations.....some horses in here taking a shot only, but they did have a ton of early lick, and never never displayed it.....funny that.

PhantomOnTour
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Congrats to Tee and Zilly for tabbing Court Vision.

My bomber Zifzaf interestingly went to the front, or sort of fell into the lead. Quick splits but he held pretty well....just not good enough for these guys. Fifth place.

Charlie D
09-19-2010, 07:24 PM
:) Fell asleep and missed raced.

Nice performance from Court Vision who was well on top at wire. Crowded House got rolling when race was over and a disappointing run from Famous Name again.

:ThmbUp: Winners.

JustRalph
09-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Anyone else left scratching their heads a bit over how the expected early speed failed to run to expectations.....some horses in here taking a shot only, but they did have a ton of early lick, and never never displayed it.....funny that.

I thought the same thing after the race.......where was the speed?

classhandicapper
09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Sorry for the red board, but since I didn't bet the horse and he lost anyway I don't think it matters much. :lol:

I thought the Usual QT was the most likely winner. He was 8-10 lifetime on turf and a recent Grade 1 winner. One loss was in his first start on turf in a sprint where he just missed. The other was in a strong field in Dubai where he ran OK in a 16 horse field. His figures suggested he fit in very well and he also seemed to still be developing as a 4YO. It was also very clear that you could toss his last race because he's clearly not as effective on synthetic but ran well enough to verify his form.

I'll take a record like that over the more spotty records of many of the other horses any day. I just wanted another tick on the board.

I made the 12 my 2nd choice.

PhantomOnTour
09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Sorry for the red board, but since I didn't bet the horse and he lost anyway I don't think it matters much. :lol:

I thought the Usual QT was the most likely winner. He was 8-10 lifetime on turf and a recent Grade 1 winner. One loss was in his first start on turf in a sprint. The other was in a strong field in Dubai where he ran OK in a 16 horse field. His figures suggested he fit in very well and he also seemed to still be developing as a 4YO. It was also very clear that you could toss his last race because he's clearly not as effective on synthetic but ran well enough to verify his form.

I'll take a record like that over the more spotty records of many of the other horses any day. I just wanted another tick on the board.

Hey Class, I coined a new term for that....I call it deadboarding and I do it all the time! Deadboarding is when you come on after the race and:
a) lament the fact that the horse you posted didn't run well, or
b) lament the fact that you liked the winner but didn't bet him, or
c) celebrate the fact that you dodged a bullet by not betting a loser that you liked

How do I not include Court Vision on top!? Gr1 winners usually win Gr1 races, and outside of the top 2 finishers in the WO Mile who else is a Gr1 winner? Victor's Cry?

46zilzal
09-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Sorry for the red board, but since I didn't bet the horse and he lost anyway I don't think it matters much.

I thought the Usual QT was the most likely winner. .
Came into the race against pitiful paces of race.. was amazed this one ran 2nd

classhandicapper
09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey Class, I coined a new term for that....I call it deadboarding and I do it all the time! Deadboarding is when you come on after the race and:
a) lament the fact that the horse you posted didn't run well, or
b) lament the fact that you liked the winner but didn't bet him, or
c) celebrate the fact that you dodged a bullet by not betting a loser that you liked

How do I not include Court Vision on top!? Gr1 winners usually win Gr1 races, and outside of the top 2 finishers in the WO Mile who else is a Gr1 winner? Victor's Cry?

I like the term "deadboard" as long as it's not as offensive to some as reboarding. ;)

classhandicapper
09-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Came into the race against pitiful paces of race.. was amazed this one ran 2nd

It wasn't a surpise to me that he ran really well. He's a very good US based turf horse. In fact, if Court Vision didn't save a lot of ground he "might" have won the race instead.

Robert Fischer
09-20-2010, 02:57 PM
good, somewhat complex race, that will bring as many as 3 overlays and 2 underlays forward.