PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell is making the ML at RETAMA ?

JustRalph
09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Been following this track for a couple weekends now.......the Morning line is a mess.......

cj
09-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Add Remington to the list. It is not only bad, it is outright misleading.

Turkoman
09-18-2010, 10:41 PM
There are several tracks with the same problem. Today I liked a horse at Calder that was 4-1 in the morning line, but won the race and paid $22.40 to win.

Turkoman

Charlie D
09-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Don't know and don't care.

cj
09-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Don't know and don't care.

I've thought the ML was ready to be put out to pasture for a long time.

Charlie D
09-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Lots of people would be lost without help from the Eric Donovans of this world CJ.

cj
09-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Lots of people would be lost without help from the Eric Donovans of this world CJ.

If they need his help they are already lost.

garyscpa
09-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Sure, but with a little experience, which most people on this board have, you know which morning lines are reasonably accurate.

At some of the smaller tracks, there's plenty of times I spot a horse with a 20-1 M/L, but I'm pretty sure everyone else is going to see him too, and sure enough, he goes off 2-1.

SharpCat
09-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I find that it is done at most tracks. I set my own odds line for horses that are possible bets. I would love it if all tracks would eliminate morning line odds.

Charlie D
09-18-2010, 11:06 PM
If they need his help they are already lost.

I agree, but a large part of public do use them as you probably know.

cj
09-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I agree, but a large part of public do use them as you probably know.

I always enjoy those that select the latter legs of P3s/P4s based on nothing but the ML.

Charlie D
09-18-2010, 11:10 PM
I would love it if all tracks would eliminate morning line odds.

I don't think you would as a large part of public would have nothing to use and if that happened they'd probably not place bets.

Shelby
09-18-2010, 11:15 PM
When I was a beginner---and maybe I'm not far off of that, but I'm a 10 year bettor, studier etc.--I really paid attention to the M/L. I would see if it went up or down right up until the race. I won some from that and lost more than some.

I use the M/L as a LOOSE "jumping off point". I'm getting better at trusting my knowledge and using that in conjunction with the line.

I think :)

Charlie D
09-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Practice, then more practice Shelby If your handicapping is based on numbers you can create some calcs to create the oddsline, but always remember, G.I.G.O

Hambletonian
09-19-2010, 07:47 AM
I made decent money at Delta a few years back simply because the ML was so mucked up. Horses that should have been 6-1 were 20-1 or 30-1. Most small timers and newbs are not going to use big longshots in their small exacta plays, 3 horse tri boxes, etc....and there were alot of overlays every day. It seemed there were one or two horses each day that were 20-1 or so on the ML that were my top rated horses. I wasn't betting serious money, did not know the circuit at all, but it was alot of fun. It works well on tracks with modest pools, those with whale participation are going to even out that bad ML.

Don't complain, take advantage!

RXB
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
The ML oddsmakers are out to lunch at a lot of the minor tracks.

For example, if the Fort Erie ML person was required to explain some of his/her ML's it would make for rollicking good entertainment pretty much every racing day.

Cases in point today: Johnny And Cash as the 5/2 ML fave in the 1st and Asset as the 3/1 ML fave in the 9th. (They went off at 19/1 and 13/1, respectively, which accurately reflected the non-contender status of each.)

DeanT
09-20-2010, 08:12 PM
2009 lines makers if interested:

http://linemakers.net/20100304.html

pandy
09-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I agree, a bad morning line can be a significant advantage, don't complain.

affirmedny
09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
getting back to the original question, I'm pretty sure announcer Tom Harris makes the ML. I seem to remember (it may have been on another forum) somebody giving him grief for making horses 7-1.

pandy
09-20-2010, 11:33 PM
People aren't aware of this but often the morning lines are bad because the track draws 2 or even 3 days entries in one day and the ml person has to do all 3 cards in one day, and sometimes he doesn't have pps, or has proofs that were faxed and are barely legible or missing lines. I've seen this done even at NYRA tracks years ago where they'd draw 3 days and the linemaker only had pps for the first two days and made the ml off of the entries for the third day.

lamboguy
09-21-2010, 08:47 AM
People aren't aware of this but often the morning lines are bad because the track draws 2 or even 3 days entries in one day and the ml person has to do all 3 cards in one day, and sometimes he doesn't have pps, or has proofs that were faxed and are barely legible or missing lines. I've seen this done even at NYRA tracks years ago where they'd draw 3 days and the linemaker only had pps for the first two days and made the ml off of the entries for the third day.the NYRA lines today are spot on the money.

pandy
09-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree, NYRA has good ML's now, but there are certainly many bad ML's. Again, if you're a good handicapper, a bad morning line is a good thing.