PDA

View Full Version : Predictions on Super Wifi ?

JustRalph
09-18-2010, 08:42 PM
The government will find some way to screw this up

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/09/14/fcc.super.wifi/index.html?hpt=Sbin

I will be surprised if we see it in 5 yrs or less.........

FCC heralds a new era of 'super Wi-Fi'

By John D. Sutter, CNN
September 15, 2010 1:06 p.m. EDT | Filed under: Innovation

(CNN) -- It's more powerful than your current home network -- able to leap through tall buildings from a single port.
Look, up in the sky.
It's "SUPER Wi-Fi!"
At least that's what U.S. Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is calling a new class of bigger-faster-better internet connections, which could jump from fiction to reality after a commission vote on September 23.
Genachowski says "super Wi-Fi," which he also refers to as "Wi-Fi on steroids," may spark a technological revolution in the U.S.
"The spectrum allows signals to travel further, to go through walls, to [transfer] more information -- so it's very robust," he said in an interview with CNN.com. "Super Wi-Fi has extraordinary potential. What's as exciting is we have a new platform for innovation and we can't anticipate what will happen next."
The souped-up system could result in wireless internet connections coming to rural areas, fewer "dead zones" in Wi-Fi networks and the ability to transfer large files easily between machines and computers in hospitals, the FCC says.
Cities might also be able to use the larger Wi-Fi networks to offer up public wireless internet hot spots and perform such tasks as remotely monitoring infrastructure and water quality.
The changes would come about if the FCC votes to open up some of the "white space" between TV channels for use by anyone.

much more at the lnk

Canarsie
09-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I disagree about the government part. If you remember once the electric companies were supposed to be the best internet provider that never came to fruition. Cities like Philadelphia were going to be a model with this and looked what happened.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/061708-philadelphia-wi-fi-network.html

Why in the world would cable, Verizon, or any other established provider go with something that will cost them money? I remember when DSL started so many companies got venture capital investments and every one of them went belly up.

I can tether my cell almost anywhere in the country if needed.

Hope I'm wrong but this puppy will have a hard time getting established.

Having said that I am rooting for it speed it king.

PhantomOnTour
09-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Here in Lafayette, La our utility company has begun offering internet service. Haven't switched from my cable provider, but their service is cheaper. No clue about how good it is though.

JustRalph
09-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I disagree about the government part. If you remember once the electric companies were supposed to be the best internet provider that never came to fruition. Cities like Philadelphia were going to be a model with this and looked what happened.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/061708-philadelphia-wi-fi-network.html

Why in the world would cable, Verizon, or any other established provider go with something that will cost them money? I remember when DSL started so many companies got venture capital investments and every one of them went belly up.

I can tether my cell almost anywhere in the country if needed.

Hope I'm wrong but this puppy will have a hard time getting established.

Having said that I am rooting for it speed it king.

Great post. very similar to my line of thinking. The great fear I have is that once this gets going, Government will use it as a taxing vehicle. Just when everyone gets hooked on it......they will tax it. Kind of Like Al Gore's phone tax for "future broadband" etc

http://www.freedomworks.org/publications/capitol-comment-197-al-gore%E2%80%99s-hidden-phone-tax-bad

Btw, never forget that taxes very rarely go away. The good citizens of Pennsylvania are still paying a tax that was implemented to rebuild Johnstown PA after the great flood wiped out most of the city. That tax was implemented right after the flood of 1889 or so? I am doing this from memory,........ so you tax happy Google Hounds can call me on it if you want

Tom
09-19-2010, 05:15 PM
NJ must be tickled pink to hear that news! He LOVES high taxes. :D