PDA

View Full Version : Lookin At Lucky Targeting Indiana Derby

andymays
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/58935/lookin-at-lucky-targeting-indiana-derby

Excerpt:

“If Lucky works very well he will start in Indiana Derby,” Baffert said. “He looks really well now and is back on track. That should set him up for the (Breeders' Cup) Classic (gr. I, Nov. 6).”

cj
09-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Always a great prep for the Classic.

andymays
09-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Always a great prep for the Classic.

It's a sign of the times. When I saw the title of the article I thought to myself that California racing is about done.

I also think we'll see Baffert doing a lot more travelling in the next few years. Especially from July to September.

classhandicapper
09-17-2010, 11:11 AM
It's a sign of the times. When I saw the title of the article I thought to myself that California racing is about done.

I also think we'll see Baffert doing a lot more travelling in the next few years. Especially from July to September.

The CA season has always been a little different than in the east, but IMO CA has always had only two choices.

1. They can rip out all the synthetics

2. They can "try" to attract as many top turf horses as possible with the idea that some of them may be versatile enough to win races on both turf and synthetic and that will give trainers/owners many more options for their horses come rain or shine etc... This option probably went out the window when they chose to rip out the Pro Ride at SA because that seemed to be the most turf friendly surface of the three.

At this point, I can't even believe what they've done to Del Mar. I was only there once, but I liked it as much as the Spa. I would never go now and don't blame many horsemen for taking their dirt horses out of there either.

If SA is going dirt, Del Mar HAS TO go dirt too or IMO that meet is through.

andymays
09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
The CA season has always been a little different than in the east, but IMO CA has always had only two choices.

1. They can rip out all the synthetics

2. They can "try" to attract as many top turf horses as possible with the idea that some of them may be versatile enough to win races on both turf and synthetic and that will give trainers/owners many more options for their horses come rain or shine etc... This option probably went out the window when they chose rip out the Pro Ride at SA because that seemed to be the most turf friendly surface of the three.

At this point, I can't even believe what they've done to Del Mar. I was only there once, but I liked it as much as the Spa. I would never go now and don't blame many horsemen for taking their dirt horses out of there either.

If SA is going dirt, Del Mar HAS TO go dirt too or IMO that meet is through.

It's the money. California can't generate enough money to compete anymore. The takeout hike will produce some short term revenue and more long term misery.

classhandicapper
09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
It's the money. California can't generate enough money to compete anymore. The takeout hike will produce some short term revenue and more long term misery.

Maybe if they had dirt racing the handle would rise (at least relative to the rest of the country).

The industry badly needs consolidation, but that's a can of political worms....I mean snakes.

andymays
09-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Maybe if they had dirt racing the handle would rise (at least relative to the rest of the country).

The industry badly needs consolidation, but that's a can of political worms....I mean snakes.

The surface matters to guys like me but in the big picture it's not going to make much of a difference in California. The problems are too big and the people running things are corrupt, incompetent, greedy, and egotistical. That's a losing superfecta if there ever was one.

The_Knight_Sky
09-17-2010, 11:51 AM
The surface matters to guys like me but in the big picture it's not going to make much of a difference in California.

The problems are too big and the people running things are corrupt, incompetent, greedy, and egotistical.

That's a losing superfecta if there ever was one.

Don't hold back.
Tell us how you really feel.

That's a pretty big score for Hoosier Park's racing office.
Who knew 7 furlong prep races on bullrings would be able trump Oak Tree at home?

andymays
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Don't hold back.
Tell us how you really feel.

That's a pretty big score for Hoosier Park's racing office.
Who knew 7 furlong prep races on bullrings would be able trump Oak Tree at home?

Are you sure of the size of the track? I have no idea.

cj
09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
The track isn't quite a bullring, but it is also not a 7f race.

PhantomOnTour
09-17-2010, 12:23 PM
So tell me, how many horses have come out of the Indiana Dby to take down or even run well in the BCC?

Puzzling decision to me as he was one whom I thought had a shot in the Classic. Just doesn't seem like the competition will sharpen him for the big one. Heck, why not the Super Dby?

Show Me the Wire
09-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Easy purse money and appearance fee is the why.

andymays
09-17-2010, 12:26 PM
So tell me, how many horses have come out of the Indiana Dby to take down or even run well in the BCC?

Puzzling decision to me as he was one whom I thought had a shot in the Classic. Just doesn't seem like the competition will sharpen him for the big one. Heck, why not the Super Dby?

He probably wants an easy race before the Classic. He's been sick so this makes sense. I don't think he has a shot in the Classic but you never know.

As far as Indiana goes it's a sign of the times.

rastajenk
09-17-2010, 12:47 PM
So tell me, how many horses have come out of the Indiana Dby to take down or even run well in the BCC?Orientate comes to mind, but his BC success may have been the following year. I fergit.

bane
09-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Got to love how soft races have replaced hard works lol

FenceBored
09-17-2010, 01:09 PM
This is a smart move. Given the time off from the illness, what does Baffert want for LaL to prepare him up for the Classic? First, a graded race with not too tough a field, so LaL has to put forth a good effort, but is not likely to overdo it. Second, a race on a MidWestern dirt track to set up for CD. The G2 Indiana Derby and the G2 Hawthorne Gold Cup are the two that meet those criteria. Of those two, I'd opt for the Indiana Derby.

Don't forget, Baffert won the Indiana Derby last year with Misremembered (NTR), whose next start was a 2nd in the Clark to Blame. He knows how to ship into Anderson, win, and use that as a springboard for a good effort at CD. The only change to the Misremembered play book I can think of is to van him straight down to CD instead of flying back to CA.

And the money ain't bad, either.

andymays
09-17-2010, 01:10 PM
This is a smart move. Given the time off from the illness, what does Baffert want for LaL to prepare him up for the Classic? First, a graded race with not too tough a field, so LaL has to put forth a good effort, but is not unlikely to overdo it. Second, a race on a MidWestern dirt track to set up for CD. The G2 Indiana Derby and the G2 Hawthorne Gold Cup are the two that meet those criteria. Of those two, I'd opt for the Indiana Derby.

Don't forget, Baffert won the Indiana Derby last year with Misremembered (NTR), whose next start was a 2nd in the Clark to Blame. He knows how to ship into Anderson, win, and use that as a springboard for a good effort at CD. The only change to the Misremembered play book I can think of is to van him straight down to CD instead of flying back to CA.

And the money ain't bad, either.

What he said. :ThmbUp:

The_Knight_Sky
09-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Are you sure of the size of the track? I have no idea.

Correct.

7 furlongs is the size of the main track.

Need some extra coffee over here http://i52.tinypic.com/28tevbm.gif this morning.

andymays
09-17-2010, 01:50 PM
7 furlong is the size of the main track.

Need some extra coffee over here http://i52.tinypic.com/28tevbm.gif this morning.

Are you sure it's not a mile oval with a 7f turf course?

PhantomOnTour
09-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Hoosier is a 7f track with a 6f chute. The Indy Dby is only 1m16 and I think Lucky needs a 9f prep...which leads me to another question. Do Classic winners come mainly from final preps at 9f or longer or at some shorter distance?

And finally, is the Super Dby now at 1m16 or still at 1m1/8? It was 1m1/4, which I loved.

Wiley
09-17-2010, 02:21 PM
And finally, is the Super Dby now at 1m16 or still at 1m1/8? It was 1m1/4, which I loved.
It's been a mile and an eight recently am guessing still this year, probably 20 years since it's been 1m1/4, some good horses ran in the race back then.

Agree on Lucky's need for a mile and an eight prep, off the top of my head, besides Zenyatta last year, cannot think of any that prepped shorter.

andymays
09-17-2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.hoosierpark.com/racing.html

Excerpt:

Head to Hoosier Park’s seven-eighths mile oval for all the heart-pounding action of LIVE Standardbred, Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse racing. Plus, our state-of-the-art facility offers simulcast racing all year long.

Linny
09-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't think the choice has anything to do with the synthetic but about Baffert not wanting to face good older horses in races like the Goodwood or the JCGC.

Cardus
09-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I like it.

Run him under the lights. See how he responds.

Next year: Dubai World Cup. Under the lights.

letswastemoney
09-17-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't think the choice has anything to do with the synthetic but about Baffert not wanting to face good older horses in races like the Goodwood or the JCGC.
What "good" older horses on the west coast are you talking about?

Rackon
10-03-2010, 08:05 PM
This is a smart move. Given the time off from the illness, what does Baffert want for LaL to prepare him up for the Classic? First, a graded race with not too tough a field, so LaL has to put forth a good effort, but is not unlikely to overdo it. Second, a race on a MidWestern dirt track to set up for CD. The G2 Indiana Derby and the G2 Hawthorne Gold Cup are the two that meet those criteria. Of those two, I'd opt for the Indiana Derby.

And the money ain't bad, either

What he said. :ThmbUp:

Agreed. What they said. Also, Mike Pegram is a Hoosier (Princeton, IN), and he likes racing here. The team likes HP and HP has been good to them. I also credit new racing secretary Kevin Greely with bringing in better quality horses all around for the meet and especially yesterday.

HP is a 7 furlong track but it has LONG stretches, which suits late closers very well...as long as a horse can take the tight turns (the HP oval was originally designed as a 5/8th mile harness track, then enlarged/stretched out) - a closer has plenty of real estate to get in front by the wire.

LaL was eager but looked a little light, no doubt due to the virus. The mud in his face obviously didn't bother him - he was covered with it by the first turn - so an off track at CD doesn't appear to be a problem for him. He should be as ready as he can be off this effort. And Anderson is only a couple hours from CD.

And BTW, Brass Hat went on to do fairly well after his Indiana Derby win.

It was nice to have Baffert back - he had a good day, winning the Indiana Oaks as well. Stood beside him in the clubhouse watching Oak Tree and thanked him for coming to HP. He said they like the track and are treated well here - make of that what you will. Baffert isn't afraid to ship wherever he thinks a horse is well spotted.

Rackon
10-03-2010, 08:06 PM
I like it.

Run him under the lights. See how he responds.

Next year: Dubai World Cup. Under the lights.

Indiana Derby is run in daylight now, so no rehearsal for lights.