PDA

View Full Version : Mel Stute: "Quit drinking sarsaparilla. Go to scotch, and you won't give a (bleep)"

andymays
09-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Great Article! :ThmbUp:

Lots of Truth mixed in with some great lines and laughs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_16097512

Excerpt:

"I come back after about the eighth race and there he is, laying on the couch in my office," Stute said. "I said, `John, what are you doing?' He said, `Mel, how do you take this? How do you take all this losing? I ran three favorites today, and one of them was fourth. I just can't take it.'

"So I told him, `John, I'm going to give you a little advice. Your father wants you to quit, but my advice to you is quit drinking sarsaparilla. Go to scotch, and you won't give a (bleep) where they finish.' "

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_16097512#ixzz0zmj3NJ7l

The_Knight_Sky
09-17-2010, 09:07 AM
LOL http://i52.tinypic.com/149thf6.gif Thanks for posting.

Horse advocacy groups: "About five years ago at Del Mar, this group of ladies and young kids were all marching with signs, `Cruelty to Animals,' and everything.

So as I was turning to go into the track, this lady comes out and hits my car with her little sign and I said to her, `Ma'am, what are you doing?' She says, `I want to tell you what you guys are doing to horses. We've been checking the breakdowns.' I said, `Do you have children?' She said, `Yes, I have children.' And I asked her what her kid's temperature was that morning.

She said, `I didn't take it.' I told her, `Well, those horses over there, their temperatures are taken every morning. They're taken better care of than your own kid.' "

andymays
09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
LOL http://i52.tinypic.com/149thf6.gif Thanks for posting.

Horse advocacy groups: "About five years ago at Del Mar, this group of ladies and young kids were all marching with signs, `Cruelty to Animals,' and everything.

So as I was turning to go into the track, this lady comes out and hits my car with her little sign and I said to her, `Ma'am, what are you doing?' She says, `I want to tell you what you guys are doing to horses. We've been checking the breakdowns.' I said, `Do you have children?' She said, `Yes, I have children.' And I asked her what her kid's temperature was that morning.

She said, `I didn't take it.' I told her, `Well, those horses over there, their temperatures are taken every morning. They're taken better care of than your own kid.' "

Guys like Mel Stute are what made the track a special place to be years ago. The characters like him are leaving us all the time and it's sad. This guy was out partying and having good time the night before opening day at Del Mar. A good friend of mine was with him and a few other people that night at a popular restaurant near Del Mar. My friend told me that he had the best time listening to Mel and all his stories and witty sayings. Mel Stute is the real deal and one of racings all time beloved characters. :ThmbUp:

His brother Warren was quite a character as well. He passed away a few years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/2007-08-09-1143879697_x.htm

Excerpt:

In 2003, Stute and son Glen, who worked as his dad's assistant, were confronted by a man who recognized the elder Stute in a coffee shop near Del Mar. The man started ragging on Stute. The trainer told him to take it easy because he'd just had a stroke.

"Too bad you didn't die," the man said.

That did it. Stute took a swing and a fight ensued.
"It gets your blood going," he said.

Father and son even went back the next day, but they couldn't find the antagonist.

"He had a reputation as being rather gruff," Mel Stute said Thursday. "He really wasn't. He was an easy touch. He would do anything for anybody to help."

WinterTriangle
09-17-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm reading Bill Barich's book, The Sporting Life, which I got at a library sale. Has a chapter about Mel Stute and Snow Chief, called "dreaming". Stute: "If I was interested in money, I would have picked another line of work."

Best line: "Every horse is a mystery."

Warren is in the vignette, too.

andymays
09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Mel Stute, A California Training Icon

http://maryforney.blogspot.com/2008/10/mel-stute-california-training-icon.html

Excerpt:

And the stories Mel can tell... I could sit for hours listening to him talk about his experiences and the marvelous characters in horseracing that he's known over the years. If you've ever know someone who "loves the game," you'll know what I mean when I say Mel truly loves horseracing, including the betting part! I hope to begin a series of posts with some of the stories I've heard at Clockers Corner.

andymays
09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Trainer, Mel Stute (2009) YouTube - Zenyatta vs. Rachel Alexandra Match Race?

n6csODCDn2o

Show Me the Wire
09-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey andymays, you think Mel still has the same opinion after watching RA's last race? Is that why you posted the link?

andymays
09-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey andymays, you think Mel still has the same opinion after watching RA's last race? Is that why you posted the link?

That's why I put the year (2009) in parentheses. ;)

Show Me the Wire
09-17-2010, 12:26 PM
That is the point of my prior posting. Why post an old video, unless you feel Mel's opinion hasn't changed?

andymays
09-17-2010, 12:29 PM
That is the point of my prior posting. Why post an old video, unless you feel Mel's opinion hasn't changed?

If you can find a newer video then go ahead and post it. I posted the video instead of a picture so people can see him and hear him.

Show Me the Wire
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Very tenious. You sure it wasn't to stir up the Z camp? Seems like it to me.
BTW 2009 is not really recent.

andymays
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Very tenious. You sure it wasn't to stir up the Z camp? Seems like it to me.
BTW 2009 is not really recent.

The thread is about Mel Stute.

Show Me the Wire
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
The thread is about Mel Stute.
As I said tenous coneection. The thread was fine without any mention of RA and Z.

I understand that was Mel's opinion in 2009, so why bring it up after RA's multiple loses in the current year, unless you believe Mel holds the same opinion.

If he has changed his mind in 2010, it is unfair to Mel to post an old video about an old rivalry.

At this time, there is no rivalry between the two horses.

andymays
09-17-2010, 12:52 PM
As I said tenous coneection. The thread was fine without any mention of RA and Z.

I understand that was Mel's opinion in 2009, so why bring it up after RA's multiple loses in the current year, unless you believe Mel holds the same opinion.

If he has changed his mind in 2010, it is unfair to Mel to post an old video about an old rivalry.

At this time, there is no rivalry between the two horses.

Now you're taking the thread sideways. I posted a thread in favor of Stute.

I'll tell you what. If I find a video of Zenyatta talking about Mel Stute I'll post it to even things out.

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2010, 06:35 PM
If I find a video of Zenyatta talking about Mel Stute I'll post it to even things out.Hilarious! :lol:

And thanks for the video link...I'll upgrade it to an embed.

affirmedny
09-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Now you're taking the thread sideways. I posted a thread in favor of Stute.

I'll tell you what. If I find a video of Zenyatta talking about Mel Stute I'll post it to even things out.

Post of the year! Thanks for ending that nonsensical trolling.

Show Me the Wire
09-17-2010, 06:53 PM
FYI Andymays, poop stirer extraordinare (by his own admission), retort had nothing to do with ending anything.

We had to put our 11+ year old dog to sleep, that is what ended the conversation.

FYI Zenyatta would probably kicked in Stute's teeth rather than talk about him. Now that is a video I like to see.

BTW, I can appreciate Stute's senility as exhibited by his commetns regarding RA's ability. I hope Stute decides never to buy a horse again.

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2010, 07:42 PM
We get it SMTW...but until RA is actually retired, the jury is still out on many things...

Show Me the Wire
09-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I am in a surly mood, while greiving over the loss of our 4 legged family member. So I will excuse myself from this conversation, before I type some things I know I will regret.

Good night to all

andymays
09-17-2010, 09:18 PM
FYI Andymays, poop stirer extraordinare (by his own admission), retort had nothing to do with ending anything.

We had to put our 11+ year old dog to sleep, that is what ended the conversation.

FYI Zenyatta would probably kicked in Stute's teeth rather than talk about him. Now that is a video I like to see.

BTW, I can appreciate Stute's senility as exhibited by his commetns regarding RA's ability. I hope Stute decides never to buy a horse again.

:confused: There is no excuse for post like this. :ThmbDown:

andymays
09-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Mel Stute interviewed on the Roger Stein show this morning 9-18-2010

Archived shows up about 10:00 am pst.

The Roger Stein Show - Radio Show Archive

http://www.rogerstein.com/radio/archive2.asp

rwwupl
09-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Mel Stute interviewed on the Roger Stein show this morning 9-18-2010

Archived shows up about 10:00 am pst.

The Roger Stein Show - Radio Show Archive

http://www.rogerstein.com/radio/archive2.asp

Mel Stute has a grip on reality that the racing managers should listen to. :ThmbUp:

Dahoss9698
09-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Nice article. Thanks for posting Andy.

Sericm
09-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Why all the controversy over what Mel said about a match race between Zenyatta and Rachel?. I'm a huge fan of Zenyatta, but what he said is true.

Anyone with half a brain knows the speed horse has the advantage in a match race. Look at the history of them.

andymays
09-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice article. Thanks for posting Andy.

Thanks. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
09-18-2010, 03:58 PM
We had to put our 11+ year old dog to sleep, that is what ended the conversation.Until you had posted your follow-up, I had missed this part...

I'm terribly sorry for the simultaneous loss of your dog and your friend...these creatures bring us nothing but pure joy and I totally understand what you are going through...

WinterTriangle
09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
SMTW, my condolences about your beloved dog / family member /friend. :(

I lost a dog that I had for almost 1/2 my adult life when I was 40, and it shook me to my core.

Got another oldster now, and know the shoe will drop in the next 2-3 years, can't even think about it without getting tearful.