PDA

View Full Version : Start New Job tomorrow, but got a better job offer. Do i do the 2 weeks of training?

Zippy Chippy
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
I posted on here a couple weeks ago about my job interview. I got the job. Tomorrow I start my 2 weeks of training.

Obviously murphys law happens and i got an awesome job offer today at a completely different company. Literally over 20k more a year, full benefits, etc. ( a dream jobthat i can't refuse ) but I dont start til the 1st week of OCT.

My question is:

Is it morally wrong for me to go to a job and waste 2 weeks of their time training me when I know that I won't be working there?

Or do i put in the 2 weeks, and politely explain to them thank you for their time, but I got a job I can't refuse?

senortout
09-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Don't believe myself that either would hire you if they knew you posted such a question.

senortout

Track Collector
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I posted on here a couple weeks ago about my job interview. I got the job. Tomorrow I start my 2 weeks of training.

Obviously murphys law happens and i got an awesome job offer today at a completely different company. Literally over 20k more a year, full benefits, etc. ( a dream jobthat i can't refuse ) but I dont start til the 1st week of OCT.

My question is:

Is it morally wrong for me to go to a job and waste 2 weeks of their time training me when I know that I won't be working there?

Or do i put in the 2 weeks, and politely explain to them thank you for their time, but I got a job I can't refuse?

I suspect your situation (getting a better offer after accepting a lesser one) happens more often than people might think. Few if any companies would fault you for accepting the better offer. That said, do (IMO) the right thing and DO NOT waste the first company's time and money. How you handle the situation with them says a lot about you, and could keep the doors open should you ever need to seek employment with them again.

Congratulations on the new (better) offer!

mostpost
09-14-2010, 06:37 PM

My question is:

You should not go to the training. You should contact the company which hired you first, thank them for their offer and await your new job in two weeks. That way your new company can start looking for a new employee. As
Track Collector said, always keep those doors open.

If you had been working for the company for some time and received the same offer, the proper thing to do would be to give two weeks notice (or as close as possible) at your old company. Sometimes this will result in you being let go immediately, but just because your company does the wrong thing, doesn't mean you should. One caveat, if you know your company has a policy of terminating employees immediately in such a situation, protect your ---

Add my Congrats on the new job.

TJDave
09-14-2010, 07:03 PM
My question is:

Did the first company offer either a written or verbal commitment?

Can they, without cause and at their discretion, terminate your employment?

Are you certain in getting the job with the second company?

Loyalty to an employer is admirable but your first obligation is to yourself and family.

Canadian
09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
It's a call center. Go to the training.... who knows maybe the other company goes under in two weeks and you still got another job.

I know how these call center jobs work..... in 2 years it will be in India... because they can pay them 5 bucks an hour less. Do you think they will give a rats ass in doing the right thing.

You need a paycheck. Take the EZ money.

What's the new job?

riskman
09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Do not go to the training. IMO this would be unprofessional, wasting their time and money.

Call the company and talk to the person who interviewed you. Tell them you received a better offer. After you have spoken to them, send an email or letter confirming your conversation. This is a simple courtesy.

Canadian
09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Don't listen to him.... take the money.... or you'll be living in a van down by the river. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsTTvKWPZGw)

bigmack
09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Get the training. Ensure they have a return policy. First day have a chum order a boatload of merchandise through you. Give notice 2nd day of training. Leave after 2 weeks. Cash commission check from friends purchase, leave no forwarding address. Start new job and keep a low profile. Have friend return said merchandise, split commission.

Contact Morty for further instructions.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/morty.jpg

riskman
09-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Get the training. Ensure they have a return policy. First day have a chum order a boatload of merchandise through you. Give notice 2nd day of training. Leave after 2 weeks. Cash commission check from friends purchase, leave no forwarding address. Start new job and keep a low profile. Have friend return said merchandise, split commission.

Contact Morty for further instructions.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/morty.jpg

Is that a Padron Family Reserve sticking out of Morty's alimentary canal ?

JustRalph
09-14-2010, 10:20 PM
as long as the 2nd offer is a sure thing

Advise the first company ASAP and Thank them.

If the 2nd offer is not in writing or not a sure thing........enjoy your call center training..........

Jay Trotter
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Congrats Zippy! I must have been away when you posted you got the job.

Tell us how that interview (and the subsequent one) went! Was there only the one question. How did you frame your answers. What piece of advise gave you the edge, if any?

Trotter:ThmbUp:

highnote
09-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Morally, it seems to me that the right thing to do is to notify the first company that you got a better offer. Even if they might eventually do the wrong thing to you, that doesn't mean you should do it to them.

Maybe you can do the first two weeks of training for free. Then go to your other new job and see if you like it. If you don't like it after a few weeks maybe the first employer will want you since you already went through the training at your expense?

I don't think there is anything immoral about the second option, but I could be wrong. I'd need to think about it some more.

chickenhead
09-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Until you start a job, you dont have a job. A verbal offer isnt a contract. Hell. even once you start a job, its day to day at best.

Do what you feel protects your interests, there's no meta-morailty involved in hiring and firing and deciding where to work. If you feel like doing two weeks of training, and think you need a backup in case the better job falls through, then go do it. If you think the other job is solid and you want a two week vacation, don't.

dav4463
09-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Go to the training. Have fun with it. Make some friends and make some money. Companies don't care about you. Most are "at will" companies. They can fire you anytime for anything. Now you are in control.

Who knows, you may not like the second job. If you do well at the training and you actually like the job; it may be a better offer in the long run. Find out what the workplace is like. Give it a chance.

Don't quit until you check out the second offer. Do lots of research on your job that starts in October. Find out how the employees like their job and compare it to the one you are training at right now. Pick the best one when the time comes.