PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no 'next day' wagering in horse racing?

Stillriledup
09-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I know somedays that they permit you to advance wager on the Ky Derby on the friday before the race, but other than that, is there any reason i can't put in a few advance bets on the Thursday card when i'm leaving the races on Wednesday?

I don't understand why tracks don't permit you to bet the next day's races, i mean, the programs are out, the PPs are out 3 or 4 days in advance also. I can bet an NFL game 6 days in advance, but i can't bet the next day's races until THAT DAY?

Turkoman
09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Excellent point, and I'm totally with you on this one. I would think all they'd have to do is be a little organized and have the next day's races already programmed in the system. I really don't see it as a big deal at all. Maybe they should try to start learning a couple of things from sports betting.

Turkoman

Dave Schwartz
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Because they don't know who is in the race until race day?

Stillriledup
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Because they don't know who is in the race until race day?

Apparently.

horses4courses
09-12-2010, 11:39 PM
I agree with the point you make.
In this day and age, it shouldn't be hard to do.

Auditing procedures are more complicated for advance wagering, but it is not rocket science.

The one downside that occurs to me is this - sleepy ticket sellers.
When they have more than one menu to choose from, and the system doesn't always default back to the present day, it leads to problems.

Try telling a person who thinks they are at the window to cash a winning ticket, that their ticket is for a race being run the next day.
I have had to deal with such incidents for advance Derby and BC wagering - it's no fun to have to tell a customer that it's their responsibilty to check the ticket.

That being said, I still believe that advance wagering should be available for most tracks on a daily basis. Chances are, though, that the tracks won't consider the potential business big enough to justify the costs involved in setting it up.

Stillriledup
09-13-2010, 03:36 AM
I agree with the point you make.
In this day and age, it shouldn't be hard to do.

Auditing procedures are more complicated for advance wagering, but it is not rocket science.

The one downside that occurs to me is this - sleepy ticket sellers.
When they have more than one menu to choose from, and the system doesn't always default back to the present day, it leads to problems.

Try telling a person who thinks they are at the window to cash a winning ticket, that their ticket is for a race being run the next day.
I have had to deal with such incidents for advance Derby and BC wagering - it's no fun to have to tell a customer that it's their responsibilty to check the ticket.

That being said, I still believe that advance wagering should be available for most tracks on a daily basis. Chances are, though, that the tracks won't consider the potential business big enough to justify the costs involved in setting it up.

Make seperate wagering windows for advance bets only. Have 1 dedicated window and a few dedicated SAM machines for advance bets only that way, there's no confusion.

Robert Goren
09-13-2010, 07:02 AM
There is no next day wagering now because none of the dolts who run the tracks have thought of it. It sounds like a gold mine for the tracks with lost uncashed tickets to me.

Horseplayersbet.com
09-13-2010, 08:00 AM
I really doubt there would be much of a market for it. And then you have surface changes, scratches, and track condition to worry about.
In today's day and age when almost everyone can join and ADW and be either a computer click or a toll free number from making a bet, I really don't see why advance day wagering is necessary at all.

gm10
09-13-2010, 10:37 AM
I really doubt there would be much of a market for it. And then you have surface changes, scratches, and track condition to worry about.
In today's day and age when almost everyone can join and ADW and be either a computer click or a toll free number from making a bet, I really don't see why advance day wagering is necessary at all.

It's a massive market in the UK ... especially the big races where you can bet weeks and months in advance. I suppose it wouldn't matter in the US because you usually can't get fixed odds anyway.

macguy
09-13-2010, 12:18 PM
I remember way back when (about 10 years ago) Hastings Park used to have Future Wagers for their card.

I would often be at Fraser Downs betting the jug heads on a Friday night, sometime a little later in the evening a new track would pop up on the self serve machines called "Hast Fut". I had to ask the teller which track it was, and she explained it was for Hastings Park's Saturday card.

There was never really any advertising or promotion for the future wagers, it was just kind of there on the machines. I can honestly say I only ever remember using it once to bet a horse I really liked. I never liked the idea of betting and not knowing whether the track was going to be a fast strip or a big puddle of slop.

I don't honestly know if they still offer the future wager, I haven't bet at the track for a long time.

Roy C
09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
When Hollywood runs live, you can bet the next days races in advance on track.

HuggingTheRail
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I remember way back when (about 10 years ago) Hastings Park used to have Future Wagers for their card.

I would often be at Fraser Downs betting the jug heads on a Friday night, sometime a little later in the evening a new track would pop up on the self serve machines called "Hast Fut". I had to ask the teller which track it was, and she explained it was for Hastings Park's Saturday card.

There was never really any advertising or promotion for the future wagers, it was just kind of there on the machines. I can honestly say I only ever remember using it once to bet a horse I really liked. I never liked the idea of betting and not knowing whether the track was going to be a fast strip or a big puddle of slop.

I don't honestly know if they still offer the future wager, I haven't bet at the track for a long time.

They do not do this any more for Hastings. There is a note in the official program explaining it. I do not have a program, so I can't quote it...but the gist of it says that they have changed to some different system of taking entries (in today? in to run?) and they can no longer offer advance betting, the benefit is less scratches. Next time I find a program I will give you the exact blurb...