PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

bigmack
09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Is Schieffer nuts?

http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/checker.aspx?v=hdkUnzuzuz

fast4522
09-12-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't like people who do, they smell like shit.

JustRalph
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Boehner handled that idiotic segment exactly the right way

ArlJim78
09-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Obama and the lapdog media rolled out their "bash Boehner" initiative this week.
it appears to have landed with a thud. this segment with Schieffer was bizarre.

NJ Stinks
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Boehner handled that idiotic segment exactly the right way

Agreed. I can't remember the last Boehner opened his mouth that didn't make me grind my teeth.

Until this interview with Schieffer today. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Agreed. I can't remember the last Boehner opened his mouth that didn't make me grind my teeth.

Until this interview with Schieffer today. :ThmbUp:

I'm a wee bit incredulous. Since smoking is such a highly personal issue with Schieffer due to his bout with cancer, why hasn't he started a grassroots movement to get the U.S. government to outlaw tobacco? Why hasn't he asked the U.S. government, at the highest levels, how they justify all these preventable deaths in their mind? Why this line of questioning to a Republican only?

Schieffer is as phony as a $3. dollar bill. He won't ask the right people the right questions, his personal concern for all the dead smokers is purely political in nature. :ThmbDown:

Boxcar

JustRalph
09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
they will never outlaw smoking as long as they make a ton of money on it

8 bucks a pack in MD now........ I saw that on a Cig Machine the other day outside a diner. I cannot believe that.

A Carton is 68 bucks in some places

boxcar
09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
they will never outlaw smoking as long as they make a ton of money on it

8 bucks a pack in MD now........ I saw that on a Cig Machine the other day outside a diner. I cannot believe that.

A Carton is 68 bucks in some places

Yup, such a virtuous, benevolent, caring government we have, eh? They really have the best interest of the citizens at heart -- right after money, of course.

Boxcar

bks
09-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Bob Schieffer is an equal opportunity idiot.

PaceAdvantage
09-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Politics aside, I actually think it's about time questions are raised to those with obvious influence about why cigarettes continue to get a pass in terms of things proven to cause cancer.

I find it incredibly hypocritical that when ANYTHING in the food & drug realm even HINTS at the possibility it may cause cancer in humans, it is swiftly removed from the market...yet cigarettes remain because people are supposed to have some sort of choice in this particular matter?

So why do we EVER remove products from the market place that have been proven to cause cancer? Why ban asbestos in new buildings? Why not give contractors a choice? Just like cigarettes, right?

Why remove anything? Want to use Ephedra to lose weight...hey, that's your choice, right?

Shouldn't those who were taking Vioxx for pain relief have a choice? All about choice when it comes to cigarettes, but not Vioxx, Ephedra, asbestos, and everything else that has been banned because it is linked to heart attacks, strokes, cancer, etc. etc.

PaceAdvantage
09-13-2010, 02:43 AM
And by the way, Schieffer would have been much better off posing his questions to someone who didn't actually smoke... :lol:

At least you can't call Boehner a hypocrite for taking donations from big T.

highnote
09-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Nicotine is a very strong drug, as most people know.

I didn't realize how strong until my wife started asking me go outside to smoke back in the early '90s.

After I had finished my cigarette I always felt happier. Then I found out nicotine elevates a person's mood.

The moment I realized what cigarettes were doing to me mentally and emotionally is the moment I decided to quit. I don't want my mood to be controlled by a drug.

Then there is the whole physical addiction. It was really tough to break the addiction.

Now, I can't believe I ever smoked.

One year on vacation I had to laugh. I saw a father puffing away on a cigarette with his kids in the car and his bumper sticker said, "Just say no to drugs." I don't think he got the irony.

Cigarettes are nothing more than a nicotine delivery system designed to keep the nicotine addict addicted.

crestridge
09-13-2010, 03:16 AM
90% of individuals with COPD/lung cancer, are tobacco abusers!! If cigs were eliminated from consumers usage over half of the ICU's in this country would be empty!!

JustRalph
09-13-2010, 03:33 AM
Cigarettes are nothing more than a nicotine delivery system designed to keep the nicotine addict addicted.

ever seen a Mt Dew Addict ? How about Pepsi? Coke? Same scenario. Taxed to high heaven

Robert Goren
09-13-2010, 07:14 AM
I like the idea of Boehner and Obama getting together to quit smoking and leading the country in a quit smoking campaign.

JustRalph
09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I like the idea of Boehner and Obama getting together to quit smoking and leading the country in a quit smoking campaign.

Pie in the sky ......... hard core smokers don't give a damn what Politicians say or do. The ones who quit are not motivated by Bammy or Boehner or anybody else.

Tom
09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
The hardest thing I ever did in my life, next to driving past a Diary Queen, was quitting smoking! :rolleyes:

Seriously, it was hard and I failed many times before I finally did it.

boxcar
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Politics aside, I actually think it's about time questions are raised to those with obvious influence about why cigarettes continue to get a pass in terms of things proven to cause cancer.

I find it incredibly hypocritical that when ANYTHING in the food & drug realm even HINTS at the possibility it may cause cancer in humans, it is swiftly removed from the market...yet cigarettes remain because people are supposed to have some sort of choice in this particular matter?

So why do we EVER remove products from the market place that have been proven to cause cancer? Why ban asbestos in new buildings? Why not give contractors a choice? Just like cigarettes, right?

Why remove anything? Want to use Ephedra to lose weight...hey, that's your choice, right?

Shouldn't those who were taking Vioxx for pain relief have a choice? All about choice when it comes to cigarettes, but not Vioxx, Ephedra, asbestos, and everything else that has been banned because it is linked to heart attacks, strokes, cancer, etc. etc.

Don't forget to toss in seat belts and motorcycle and bicycle helmets. Yes! Let's hear it for choice!

Boxcar

boxcar
09-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Would also like the idea of paying an exorbitant tax on some food or beverage item you use frequently to make up for the huge tobacco tax revenue shortfall?

Boxcar

46zilzal
09-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Your sympathetic nervous system's response was discovered by the use of nicotine Nicotine andrenergic receptors as opposed to Muscarinic adrenergic receptors

boxcar
09-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Your sympathetic nervous system's response was discovered by the use of nicotine Nicotine andrenergic receptors as opposed to Muscarinic adrenergic receptors

Make sure you e-mail BO with this important info, will ya?

And while you're at, tell Big Gov to worry less about tax revenue and a lot more about all the tens of thousands of deaths they could have prevented and be preventing each year by outlawing this poison. Find out from them why money trumps human lives.

Boxcar

illinoisbred
09-13-2010, 04:49 PM
The hardest thing I ever did in my life, next to driving past a Diary Queen, was quitting smoking! :rolleyes:

Seriously, it was hard and I failed many times before I finally did it.
How did you quit-cold turkey....or use any products like the gum or patch?

Tom
09-13-2010, 10:43 PM
No patches or gums.
I tried hypnosis, and got down to about 2-3 a day, and then switched to lights. that was a mistake - I went back up.

Finally I went cold turkey one day - I suspect the hypnosis may have finally worked? I had a tape I listened to everyday.

Today, you can blow smoke at me and I won't even notice it. Never had an urge after the first year. I still flinch when I approach a Dairy Queen.

bigmack
09-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Big post. Never thought of it in those terms and it's a point that carries weight. They paint with a broad brush these days and that spot is continually getting a pass.

I kinda liked Schieffer. Such a pity to see him carry water like a chump.

lsbets
09-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Two hours ago I was outside having a smoke. As I was finishing, I thought why the **** am I doing this? Went back inside and told my wife I'm quitting. Right now taking it hour by hour. Made it two, now for three. Goal is to make it to bed tonight without having one, then go at it again tomorrow. I've made half hearted attempts to quit in the past, I need to be serious about it and just stop.

boxcar
09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Two hours ago I was outside having a smoke. As I was finishing, I thought why the **** am I doing this? Went back inside and told my wife I'm quitting. Right now taking it hour by hour. Made it two, now for three. Goal is to make it to bed tonight without having one, then go at it again tomorrow. I've made half hearted attempts to quit in the past, I need to be serious about it and just stop.

I wish you the best. False starts are par for the course with many, if not most, smokers. But you're approaching this with the right attitude -- one day at a time. Since you already know that you should quit, the day will come (if it hasn't already) when you will say -- "enough is enough". That will be the day you will win the war. In the end, the best way to quit is when someone determines to do it -- because then the person's mind is made up.

Boxcar

Tom
09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
ls, keep a good thought while you go through this - every month you go without smoking, you will be alive for one more election to vote down another liberal! GOOD LUCK! :D

cj's dad
09-14-2010, 01:00 PM
A good friend of mine quit for one reason - $$$

One day we were talking and I asked how many packs he smoked a day; answer, 1 & 1/2. I stated that is = approx. 550 packs per year. At roughly $5.00 a pack he is approaching $3000 per year. To earn $3000, he figured he has to make $4500 before taxes. Since he earns 60K a year, he is working
3 - 3 1/2 weeks to make that amount. He works hard, he is a steamfitter.

He quit that day over 2 years ago and has never looked back.

bigmack
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Two hours ago I was outside having a smoke. As I was finishing, I thought why the **** am I doing this?
I was dumb enough to smoke for about 3-4 years. Had a biz with 40+ employees. Sat in my office & smoked 1 ½ packs/day. Dreadful habit. But I didn't have kids. You do. Suffer through the next week. You'll have more energy and your kids won't have to see you suckin' on a little stick and blowin' out smoke.

When I quit I had the same revelation. I looked at this thing between my fingers and thought - What the hell am I doing? Quit cold turkey. Felt rough for days but never looked back and have never smoked cigs since. That was '88.

skate
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
No patches or gums.
I tried hypnosis, and got down to about 2-3 a day, and then switched to lights. that was a mistake - I went back up.

Finally I went cold turkey one day - I suspect the hypnosis may have finally worked? I had a tape I listened to everyday.

Today, you can blow smoke at me and I won't even notice it. Never had an urge after the first year. I still flinch when I approach a Dairy Queen.

Try this for the Dairy Queen love affair.

Get a job cleaning up the place, notice you can slid accross the floor, without skates.

Spill some of their cake Icing and then try to clean it up.

You can not clean up a D Q, because whatever they use will stay forever.

Then you can imagine "your" inside plumbing , nitemares.:)

NJ Stinks
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Quit or don't quit, just leave me alone.

And PA, I'll pay to get rid of asbestos because I sure as hell don't want to get cancer from something like asbestos. Whereas I enjoy smoking cigars so I'm willing to roll the dice with tobacco.

The asbestos/cigs analogy was weak IMO.

Tom
09-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Get a job cleaning up the place, notice you can slid across the floor, without skates.

Why skate, I wold not think of doing that without you! :rolleyes:

the little guy
09-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I haven't smoked for 10 weeks. Made it through Saratoga without so much as a drag.

Now I have to make it throught the Winter.

boxcar
09-14-2010, 03:27 PM

And PA, I'll pay to get rid of asbestos because I sure as hell don't want to get cancer from something like asbestos. Whereas I enjoy smoking cigars so I'm willing to roll the dice with tobacco.

The asbestos/cigs analogy was weak IMO.

I feel exactly the same you do! I enjoy holding on to as much of my money as I can. Why can't Greedy Gov just leave me alone and quit finding ways to separate me from my money!? :mad:

But, NJ,. I'm surprised at your extremely unpatriotic and anti-civic attitude about smoking. Smokers are a part of the reason insurance rates are so high. If everyone stopped this self-destructive habit, rates would fall. Your self-indulging attitude toward toward pleasure- seeking is very selfish. Your selfishness is contributing to high costs, not a solution to them. In your world, doesn't the Collective come before the Individual? Isn't the good of the Many suppose to trump the selfish desires of the Few? (Keep in mind smokers are in the minority!)

You, too, are self-conflicted and hypocritical. On the one hand, you constantly preach the progressive line to others about how we have this moral obligation to do our share FOR society -- how we must contribute toward the good of society by doing our "fair share". But now you flip the bird at society so that you can indulge in your self-destructive addiction and in the process contribute negatively to society by helping raise insurance costs for everyone. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Boxcar

boxcar
09-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I haven't smoked for 10 weeks. Made it through Saratoga without so much as a drag.

:ThmbUp: Congratulations! Good work.

Here's simple tip that can help, although I would think most if not all the nicotine is out of your body by now: Drink lots of water during the day. This will help flush it out.

Also the cig habit is always associated with other activities, such a drinking, driving, talking on the phone, etc. These activities and smoking, over all the years, have actually formed a very strong bond within you. Be aware of this and learn ways to break those bonds -- to sever the old associations.

Boxcar

Grits
09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Also the cig habit is always associated with other activities, such a drinking, driving, talking on the phone, etc. These activities and smoking, over all the years, have actually formed a very strong bond within you. Be aware of this and learn ways to break those bonds -- to sever the old associations.

Boxcar

Boxcar this is good advice. Tough, but good.

Little Guy, hopefully, I can visit you at the Abbey.

If not . . . well . . . it's been nice knowing ya.:lol:

Write when you can, let me know how the chanting's going.

Monks do a lot of chanting, ya know.

trying2win
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=bigmack]Is Schieffer nuts?

[url]

Big Mack:

No! In my opinion, Bob Schieffer said what was 'right' in this video clip and not what was is 'politically correct' like John Boehner in his defence of smoking. I question Boehner's character too, when it was revealed on this clip that he accepts donations of money from the devious tobacco industry for his political campaigns.

By the way, big health gamble by John Boehner of his use of lung cancer sticks and the apparent overuse of natural tanning from the sun outdoors, or tanning beds, or spray-on tanning products.

T2W

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Stupid is as stupid does"

--Forrest Gump's mother

bigmack
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
In my opinion, Bob Schieffer said what was 'right' in this video clip and not what was is 'politically correct' like John Boehner in his defence of smoking. I question Boehner's character too, when it was revealed on this clip that he accepts donations of money from the devious tobacco industry for his political campaigns.
Next week watch for Bob to ask a politician why they ride/drive a car if they take oil money.

Politicians setting examples with their personal habits. That's some funny shite.
Well done. :ThmbUp:
sr2zI99bvso

chickenhead
09-14-2010, 05:32 PM
when I quit smoking the hardest part was not getting my little reward all the time. Just an endless procession of moments in time, depressingly monotonous...I never realized it before how much I measured time and tasks by this constant little stream of reward smokes.

I think that's why most people gain weight...it's not just the oral fixation, it's the scooby snack factor. Smokes get replaced with actual scooby snacks.

Pell Mell
09-14-2010, 05:47 PM
On the other hand....my mother and her friend quit smoking when they were 92 because they couldn't afford it when NJ raised the prices. My mother died at 94 from complications of a fall. Her friend died last year at 100. Go figure :confused:

skate
09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Why skate, I wold not think of doing that without you! :rolleyes:

OK ok then, buy one of their cakes, put the icing on anything, then try to take the icing off from whatever you put it on, it aint movin, it's there forever, it outlives roaches.

Oh, you can slide it around, but it aint a goin, yep.

Their cake icing has been compared to Willie Pep, you can put him down, but not out. The icing will survive anything you can throw at it.

boxcar
09-14-2010, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=bigmack]Is Schieffer nuts?

Big Mack:

No! In my opinion, Bob Schieffer said what was 'right' in this video clip and not what was is 'politically correct' like John Boehner in his defence of smoking. I question Boehner's character too, when it was revealed on this clip that he accepts donations of money from the devious tobacco industry for his political campaigns.

By the way, big health gamble by John Boehner of his use of lung cancer sticks and the apparent overuse of natural tanning from the sun outdoors, or tanning beds, or spray-on tanning products.

T2W

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Stupid is as stupid does"

--Forrest Gump's mother

And I question your judgment about anyone else's character! Aren't all corporations "devious", evil and greedy? Therefore, if you're going to condemn Boehener for accepting contributions from just one industry in the private sector (an industry, btw, that is heavily taxed and controlled by the U.S. government), then to be consistent with yourself, you'd need to condemn all politicians for taking money from company or industry in the evil private sector.

I find it telling that you give the U.S. government a huge pass for keeping this known poisonous substance legal and on the market and, therefore, making itself an accessory to the murder of hundreds of thousands of people (if not millions over all these decades) by not preventing their deaths. The government, evidently, places far more value on that filthy lucre obtained from tax revenues than it does on human lives. How do you feel about that?
Don't you think the real role of government is to set high moral standards for its citizens? And to protect its citizens from harm?

And one more thing about Boehner supposedly making the "politically correct" statement. Whether that was or not, his defense for smoking was 100% factually correct, which cannot be said for Schieffer's moronic straw man question asked with an obvious political motive behind it. The irrefutable fact is that smoking is legal. Nothing politically correct about that answer. It is fact. And this fact gives all the justification anyone needs to give for engaging in this habit because when government legalizes an activity, it is giving its direct, indirect or tacit approval of it!. Don't believe this? Let a Christian, for example, complain about all the abortions-on-demand that are performed in this country, and what will the pro-abortionists bottom line response be for justifying this practice: It's legal! They won't give two flips about the moral issues in which abortion is grounded. No, no, no. They will raise the Legal Flag high and proud. Yet, now with tobacco, Mr. B.S. is going to concern himself with the morality of accepting contributions from the tobacco industry -- an industry that legally exists! :bang: :bang:

This is why Schieffer and his ilk are all two-bit hypocritical phonies. If Schieffer was truly interested in crusading against this poison, his line of questioning to Boehner would have taken an entirely tact. For example, Mr. B.S. (what appropriate initials :rolleyes: ) would have asked Boehner what is he going to do to get Congress to outlaw tobacco, etc.

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2010, 01:20 AM
On the other hand....my mother and her friend quit smoking when they were 92 because they couldn't afford it when NJ raised the prices. My mother died at 94 from complications of a fall. Her friend died last year at 100. Go figure :confused:Genetics are indeed a fantastic gift for those lucky enough to hit that lottery...I think I read once where more times than not, the current "oldest people in the world" are invariably smokers.

Of course that begs the comment "imagine how much older they would have lived had they not smoked..."

But something tells me if you have good genes, ain't much is gonna touch you no matter what you do to yourself...

PaceAdvantage
09-15-2010, 01:22 AM

The asbestos/cigs analogy was weak IMO.How is it weak? They are both products whose prolonged exposure has been proven to cause cancer in humans.

Should the choice not be left up to the builder as to whether or not they want to use asbestos to construct their project? Just like the choice is currently being left up to the smoker?

How about my Ephedra or Vioxx analogies? Were they any better?

46zilzal
09-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Genetics are indeed a fantastic gift for those lucky enough to hit that lottery...I think I read once where more times than not, the current "oldest people in the world" are invariably smokers.

Of course that begs the comment "imagine how much older they would have lived had they not smoked..."

But something tells me if you have good genes, ain't much is gonna touch you no matter what you do to yourself...
there is much truth to your contentions as many of my patients fit that profile: hard drinkers and smokers made it well into their early 90's

johnhannibalsmith
09-15-2010, 12:14 PM
there is much truth to your contentions as many of my patients fit that profile: hard drinkers and smokers made it well into their early 90's

Wouldn't you say that a contented existence may contribute to prolonged life?

I'm sure genetics share much of the credit too, but so many of these "hard-living" types are actually life loving, stress-free folks that happen to ingest known toxicity without worry.

I sort of gotta believe that spending your day measuring the distance from the public building's door to the collection of smokers, diligently checking your BP monitor every 6,060 seconds, and having to take a handful of Xanax to fend off the pending anxiety attack induced by enduring a seven minute delay repairing a strap on a $2,350 bicycle helmet before the "Daily Outdoor Unified Club Health Exercises" group goes for the evening ride... being healthy just seems like mental anguish...

I don't know... Cigarettes, asbestos, heroin... this stuff isn't too good for you... Lamboguy, what about sugar?

Probably the case that eight out of every ten things not named oxygen or water that I ingest in one form or another is knocking a few seconds off my lifespan - we'll get the data eventually so we can optimize our longevity by only eganging in things that keep us around for ever and ever and ever, almost.

I still say that one part in the recipe of immortality for a lot of people has got to be whether or not they treat the brain right despite what the body thinks... or at leasst what it should think according to piles of data compiled by people...

toetoe
09-15-2010, 04:00 PM
... a goin, yep ...

... to Willie Pep ...

See yer Pep [string-raising now] ... and raise ya two Tony Zales and an Eder Jofre.

Pell Mell
09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Personally I think a lot of the stuff they scare people with is BS. You may not agree but let me give you some reasons why I think the way I do.

When I was young I started driving 18 wheelers. I use to go to the Johns-Manville plant in NJ and pick up asbestos shingles and pipe and haul it down south.

I was on the loading dock a lot and the fork trucks use to run into each other because they couldn't see where they were going. It was like a whiteout with the asbestos flying around. Those guys had it in their ears, their nose, all over their eyebrows and face. They worked all day long in it with no masks of any kind.It was unbelievable and take it from me...I was there.

Of course they got lung conditions and cancer but it took years and they inhaled
a shipload of the stuff.

I remember mechanics in brake shops and garages blowing brake dust all day and that was asbestos

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this stuff is harmless, just that it's overblown.

I drove chemical tankers for some years and handled alcohol, benzine, formaldehyde, phenol,triclorethyline,toluene, ammonias, acids, resins,etc. You name I hauled it!

I started smoking when I was 12 and still do. I'm 78 and still going, how come? Of course I may be dead tomorrow but considering what I've done to myself I should have been buried a long time ago.:confused:

46zilzal
09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Personally I think a lot of the stuff they scare people with is BS. You may not agree but let me give you some reasons why I think the way I do.

You have never been in on post mortum then and seen what all of this B.S. does to flimsy delicate lung tissue which is required to be a thin mixing ground between hemoglobin and oxygen.

So what, that YOU personally have not had a problem, there are millions of those who have their lives significantly shortened by the direct toxicity of the chemicals in smoke, emphysema, cardiovascular disease, peripheral vascular disease (Burgher's disease alone has no other PRIME corollary other than tobacco use), premature aging, throat, lip and mouth cancers (leukoplakias tell the tale here), hypertension etc etc....

hardly bs just by the fact it never stopped at your door.

these must be made up studies
http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM197410102911503
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11849408
http://www.medicinenet.com/smokers_lung_pathology_photo_essay/article.htm
http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378%2807%2900755-7/abstract
http://www.surgical-pathology.com/smoking_women.htm

Pell Mell
09-15-2010, 06:54 PM
You have never been in on post mortum then and seen what all of this B.S. does to flimsy delicate lung tissue which is required to be a thin mixing ground between hemoglobin and oxygen.

So what, that YOU personally have not had a problem, there are millions of those who have their lives significantly shortened by the direct toxicity of the chemicals in smoke, emphysema, cardiovascular disease, peripheral vascular disease (Burgher's disease alone has no other PRIME corollary other than tobacco use), premature aging, throat, lip and mouth cancers (leukoplakias tell the tale here), hypertension etc etc....

hardly bs just by the fact it never stopped at your door.

these must be made up studies
http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM197410102911503
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11849408
http://www.medicinenet.com/smokers_lung_pathology_photo_essay/article.htm
http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378%2807%2900755-7/abstract
http://www.surgical-pathology.com/smoking_women.htm

Zilly, I'm not disagreeing with you. What I take exception to is when things are taken to the extreme. Like smoking on a beach is killing people. Smoke from fires and different sources may be smelled for miles but that doesn't mean it's going to kill you.
Another example that pisses me off: I use to go to car dealer auctions with dealer friends. These guys would wave their arms and give me hell about smoking and at the same time would stand over exhaust pipes all day long in a semi-enclosed building. My eyes would be burning but that stuff didn't bother them. I have been in homes that didn't allow smoking in the house but would have a fireplace burning and the fumes made me choke.

My point is that these bitchers are a bunch of hypocrites and will pick on the most miniscule things to go on about as long as it doesn't affect what they like.:bang:

WinterTriangle
09-16-2010, 05:02 AM

IMHO, a lot of the stuff that is on grocery shelves, as well as drug store shelves, are dangerous to human beings. The powerful lobby groups hire their own scientists to refute these things.

Pretty strong carcinogenic links to meats cured with nitrates (lunch meats, bacon, hot dogs, etc.) esp. gastric carcinogenesis Because they convert into nitrosamines in the mouth and stomach. (it's why they put ascorbic acid into meats to counteract the nitrates). There is also a strong "link", between frequent ingestion of cured meats and COPD.

All are still on the shelves, of course. (Although not allowed in infant food anymore).

I don't know how anyone can support smoking, even if they smoke, because it is decidedly unhealthy.

Zilly, there are a lot of mouth cancers etc. from drinking as well. Why some of us will not use alcohol-laden mouthwashes. all that alcohol touching delicate mouth tissues on a repeated basis can't be good?

WinterTriangle
09-16-2010, 05:11 AM

Kudos. That's quite an accomplishment.

Don't think that far ahead. Just ....don't smoke TODAY.

Then, begin your tomorrow with the same inclination.

Good luck

eastie
09-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Good Job Andy.
Next friday will be 4 years for me. Saved a ton of cash, and my homegame is now non smoking. my poker friends who don't smoke wives' are really happy.
I've been trying to help one person a day stop smoking. My speel goes something like this. "what are doing ? will you knock it off smoking those foolish cigaettes. Don't be an asshole like me and some till you're 44. You know you're gonna quit someday, so just stop now. You've done way tougher things. You can do it. I know you can do it. I'm ill I didn't do it sooner, but better late than never.