PDA

View Full Version : tomlinson ratings

bigbrown
09-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Does anybody knows any info about how to purchase Tomlison Ratings (standalone w/o purchasing the entire drf) for a historical study: ie, say a couple of years of data, I understand that these are published twice a year.

Also, if anybody has such data to share, please PM me.

Thanks

bb

cj
09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't think they are available in that format any longer. The creator died in 2008.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2008/September/08/Kaufman-author-and-creator-of-Tomlinson-Ratings-dies-at-73.aspx

bigbrown
09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks cj!

Are there any alternatives today for these ratings?

cj
09-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Not really my thing, but the name Mike Helm comes to my mind:

http://store.drf.com/acb/stores/1/SIRE_RATINGS_2010-2011_P20294C1023.cfm?UserID=45359435&ACBSessionID=8292A544245DCE918361

njcurveball
09-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks cj!

Are there any alternatives today for these ratings?

Tomlinson was a great pedigree man and when he did his small booklet by hand, the ratings were very profitable. I think Mark Cramer even wrote about them.

When the DRF got them, they did a lot of back-fitting and probably still do. So you may check a horse who is 1 for 1 on turf and see a high rating, but then go back to the form and find on the day of the race the rating was 100 points lower.

Dynamic ratings are great, but results cannot depend on them.

HTR has a pedigree rating and a first time on surface rating. It is good, but far from a stand alone rating to generate a steady profit.

Jim

lsosa54
09-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Dan Serra's sire ratings have been around for awhile and are available at Post Time Daily. I believe that's Mike Pizzola's website (don't know if he owns it or runs it). They are available as part of the day's race file for a track ($1.50) or I think at $45/month for all tracks. I also thought they were still available in booklet form at Gambler's Book Club but the site is down at the moment. Not sure if they are available as a booklet from PTD.

Cynthia Publishing has sire ratings but not sure if they are national or Socal oriented.

classhandicapper
09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
The thing I never understood about the Tomlinson ratings (and I used to get them via mail when he first started selling them) is why the turf ratings are much lower than say mud etc...

The best mud breeding is usually rated around 400, but you almost never see anything even close to that for turf even when I know the breeding is solid for turf. It's like the scale is different.

If someone could explain that to me, I'd appreciate it.

Greyfox
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Personally, I have never seen much value in Tomlinson ratings.
Certainly I wouldn't want to make wagers based on them.
The DRF faithfully publishes them.
But is anyone using them or integrating them with Pace/Speed figures?
If so, how?

thaskalos
09-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Completely useless in my opinion. I used to look at them in order to determine a horse's distance switch potential...but I quickly gave up on it.

The best turf horses often have some of the lowest "Tomlinsons" in the field...

bigbrown
09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Completely useless in my opinion. I used to look at them in order to determine a horse's distance switch potential...but I quickly gave up on it.

The best turf horses often have some of the lowest "Tomlinsons" in the field...

I have been mostly thinking in using Tomlisons for first starters ... I guess by the time one can state "best turf horses" there is enough history to establish that.

JohnGalt1
09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I used to purchase Tomlinson's booklet, but now purchase Serra's Mud and Turf Sire Ratings every Spring. It's about $50.

He recommends adding the sire's, grand sire's and dam sire's ratings to get the rating number.

I have success doubling the sire's number.

I believe the sire has more impact than the grand sires, just like I'm genetically closer to my dad than my grandparents.

Example 1 Sire-45 Grand sire-75 Dam sire-60 totals Serra'a way 180, my way 225.

Example 2 Sire-75 Grand sire-45 Dam Sire-60 Serra's way 180, my way 255.

And he rates over 16,000 horses.

KingChas
09-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Personally, I have never seen much value in Tomlinson ratings.
Certainly I wouldn't want to make wagers based on them.
The DRF faithfully publishes them.
But is anyone using them or integrating them with Pace/Speed figures?
If so, how?

DRF does not publish same #'s as T' ratings did in his rating guide.

Bought T's ratings religiously for years,really miss them.
Every guide I bought paid for itself quickly.
I only used the ratings for 1st time starters on the turf making no deductions.
Sire + Dam=$........... Period

Greyfox
09-17-2010, 12:16 AM
DRF does not publish same #'s as T' ratings did in his rating guide.

Thank you. But that begs the question what the heck is the DRF publishing as
Tomlinsons???

And except for first time starters, and wet tracks, maybe, how do you use them and win?
Certainly they are not "stand alones." Who can you eliminate using Tomlinsons?

KingChas
09-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Thank you. But that begs the question what the heck is the DRF publishing as
Tomlinsons???

And except for first time starters, and wet tracks,maybe, how do you use them
and win? Who can you eliminate using Tomlinsons?

Tomlinson said to make deductions for the dam approx 20% off if I remember correctly.

Drf definately makes some deductions,I am not privy to that.

Tomlinson said a lot of people wrote him that they didn't deduct for the dam and had success.
I was one of them.

I stated I only used them for turf 1sters nothing else,never used the wet track ratings.

I actually still use my last T guide to this day (Summer 2000) going back generations usually to find a rating.Then I make adjustments using recent Mike Helm's sire ratings.

Who can you eliminate using Tomlinsons?

I wouldn't say eliminate,more or less look for a rating that is substantially higher than the others.
Then bang it. ;)

PS;last comment does not refer to drf #'s, I am still going by the original book.