PDA

View Full Version : Good money in Government........

JustRalph
09-11-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/11/1682824/city-council-to-discuss-managers.html

check out what these Charlotte City officials are making..........and in Charlotte the cost of living is much less than most of the country

hit the link please

mostpost
09-11-2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/11/1682824/city-council-to-discuss-managers.html

check out what these Charlotte City officials are making..........and in Charlotte the cost of living is much less than most of the country

hit the link please
Charlotte is a city of more than 700,000. The City Manager controls a workforce of over 6,000. And you think $200,000 a year is too much money. :bang: :bang: :bang: What do you consider a fair salary for a government worker? $20/month and a cup of gruel?

bigmack
09-11-2010, 07:45 PM
From my business dealings with counties and cities, and I've dealt with many at the top level, I have yet to deal with anyone who had shown any level of competence beyond $100K. Cap 'em at a hun and dole out bonuses based on performance. 98% would never see a bonus.

JustRalph
09-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Charlotte is a city of more than 700,000. The City Manager controls a workforce of over 6,000. And you think $200,000 a year is too much money. :bang: :bang: :bang: What do you consider a fair salary for a government worker? $20/month and a cup of gruel?

As a former "Government Worker" of many years.......let me enlighten you a little.

The City Manager (no matter where he/she is) of a town is a planning officer. He makes decisions that are usually not based on reality and normally done for political reasons. City Managers were created by Politicians (Mayors and Councils) to take the heat off of them and have a scape goat to fire when things turn to shit.

This never solves a thing and many times just makes things worse. They rarely take input from the right people and they almost always do what will only provide them political safety. Or provide the local government officers with political safety, since they vote for whether or not to renew his contract, he makes them happy.

Large Cities and their occupants have been abandoned in this country. The only People who actually live inside the large City Limits are those who cannot afford to get out, and those who enjoy some facet of the city. New York and a few other cities come to mind as a place where "City Living" is a lifestyle. If you enjoy it, good for you. But most Cities are employers of those who live in the burbs. They come to town every morning and hit the freeway home leaving the Riff-Raff behind. The others live in high rises and exclusive areas that Mr. City Manager Caters to when he can do it politically. The City Manager is less important than the guy who runs the Water Plant or the Sewage plant, when you come right down to it. These two guys do more for quality of life than any City Manager does.

Why should a City manager make more money than someone who produces things and or profit? There are tons of people in this country that produce a profit, a product or a needed resource that makes a huge profit, and they make nowhere near a 100k a year. They actually add to the economy. City Managers (at least the adept ones) climb from town to town using politics and PR to gain more and more money each advance. Most are not the best and the brightest. In the larger Cities they usually have a Master's of Public Administration, and out earn the usual Master's Degreed Salary of others with typical education and incentive.

Salary.com says a Typical Master's Degreed person earns between 45-95k in Salary. This guy makes 200k Plus a sizable Bonus.

From the Link:
County Manager Harry Jones, for instance, is slated to receive $283,011 this year after commissioners voted to shift most of his bonus into his base salary. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Peter Gorman's total compensation last year was $302,000, and he declined a bonus. *End Quote from Link

It wouldn't surprise me if the School Supt. had a Phd......but come on?
Only in Government can you double the pay of those who are your peers in education and experience. These government types also normally have extraordinary pension plans. They are nothing but politicians who do their best to hide the real facts from citizens and make themselves and the local government look good. They will crap all over other city departments in a minute if they can save a buck. It makes themselves look good for that next job.

What you have here in Charlotte is competing Government Employees who are trying to keep up with each other......at tax payers and other employees expense. Business as usual............

JustRalph
09-11-2010, 08:57 PM
From my business dealings with counties and cities, and I've dealt with many at the top level, I have yet to deal with anyone who had shown any level of competence beyond $100K. Cap 'em at a hun and dole out bonuses based on performance. 98% would never see a bonus.

They would scream from the rooftops........... just like teachers do when you mention incentives based on student performance

TheFlagIsUp
09-11-2010, 09:01 PM
it must be nice to know everything about everything and never be wrong. here's an idea, let's have walmart run everything

bigmack
09-11-2010, 09:10 PM
it must be nice to know everything about everything and never be wrong. here's an idea, let's have walmart run everything
Puberty is an awkward stage. Give it time and your brain might develop like your short hairs. Then again, maybe not.

TheFlagIsUp
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Puberty is an awkward stage. Give it time and your brain might develop like your short hairs. Then again, maybe not.

unlike most here, I actually attended college and read......good try though

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2010, 09:23 PM
unlike most here, I actually attended college and read......good try thoughI was kind of hoping for another "rich people tax breaks" reply myself...I still have my fingers crossed though...

traveler
09-11-2010, 09:27 PM
It looks like you flunked English in college Flag, of course you don't claim to have graduated. You seem to have trouble with capitalization and punctuation.

JustRalph
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM

Good for you.......I got some bad news for you

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/09/AR2010090903350.html?hpid=talkbox1

Tom
09-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Or is it . . . herd mentality?

He was cut from his heard. See other thread! :lol:

highnote
09-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Does anyone remember a time when government jobs paid less than the private sector? I remember when factory jobs paid real money and were more prestigious than government jobs -- at least that was the way it was in the industrialized area where I grew up in Ohio.

Those factory jobs have mostly disappeared, but many people remain. Those remaining tend to work at Wal Mart, fast food restaurants or in government offices.

My thinking is that eventually government is going to start making austerity cuts just like they will have to do (are doing?) in Greece -- layoffs, salary cuts and freezes and pension cuts. It's going to be painful for a lot of people.

cj's dad
09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
skilled workers such as electricians, steamfitters, plumbers, ironworkers, machinists, etc... easily earn 70-75 k annually.

The difference between this sector and gov't workers is that in the private sector you have to produce (i.e. work hard) and often get dirty, while the gov't sector can fail miserably and not go out of business:

example - United States Postal Service

pandy
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Interesting article. I've always felt that borrowing for college is not a smart thing to do.

boxcar
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM

Either that was in your dreams or you attended D. D. U.

Boxcar

cj's dad
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Not a college attendee, but I am pretty sure the reading part would be um kind of necessary.

The use of the word actually in this sentence is completely meaningless. You either did or did not attend college, genius.