PDA

View Full Version : Top and Bottom play

kid4rilla
09-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Anyone play top and bottom exactas/tris etc.....?

I've been wagering my top choice in the exacta/tri pools like this....

A
BCD

BCD
A

If I can assess a clear A choice, and it is 3:1 or better, I will attempt this play. I wont go over 4 horses wheeled unless the field is 12 or better.

Any opinions about the method?

fmolf
09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Anyone play top and bottom exactas/tris etc.....?

I've been wagering my top choice in the exacta/tri pools like this....

A
BCD

BCD
A

If I can assess a clear A choice, and it is 3:1 or better, I will attempt this play. I wont go over 4 horses wheeled unless the field is 12 or better.

Any opinions about the method?
i play win/place and exactas only have been doing it for 35 yrs now .....my records have shown me and you should keep your own that your roi will go by just playing it one wayA/bcd...try this method using the extra monies saved in the win pool or in larger exacta bets....I think you will find unless the top choice is a closer that if he does not win he rarely finishes second.It took me a long time to realize this and you will need to prove this to yourself as well.

kid4rilla
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
thanks for your response. This appears true in my case for the last year from ADW records.

Very helpful!

OTM Al
09-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Your best friend in an exacta play is the horse you want only for second. If I like A the best and expect him to be there at the end even if passed, and think B has a lesser shot to win and think C is a horse who loves to hit the board but likely will not win I play

A/B+C
(A+B) exacta box

This way your prime play A/B gets bet twice and you save with A/C and B/A

Simply reversing with a horse that is like my C horse is a wasted bet especially when his line at the distance/surface/track looks something like 6-0-3-1. I love horses that look like that. Many times that C horse may even be the favorite and even with boxing being so popular, the fav in second generally pays ok.